Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 208084 times)

Schinken and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Solex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #900 on: May 05, 2022, 04:52:28 AM »
My bushings have been bleeding black shit. I've never had this happen before, has anyone else? I didn't put any grease or wax into the trucks. Weird, no?

Sprinkle some holy water on it and tell us what's going on.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #901 on: May 05, 2022, 05:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote
My bushings have been bleeding black shit. I've never had this happen before, has anyone else? I didn't put any grease or wax into the trucks. Weird, no?

[close]

What’s even going on here? White bushings with a 3 mm piece of black gunk on top? Where’s the washer? Why can I not see the kingpin? Either way something very uncommon is going on and unless we get a better explanation and solution imma back the guy calling for the exorcist!

Exorcists are tight.

Anyway I hope you figure it out and your trucks can be healed. My guess is, something slim and slimy got between your bushing and kingpin head, but there are things in this universe we will never understand.
IG: @flowterspace

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #902 on: May 05, 2022, 05:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I've got a question about a core shop that wants to sell Nike.

Let's say the shop's been around for a few decades, so it's established. I think that's one of the criteria that Nike uses to allow shoes to be sold in a shop.

What are the steps for the shop to sell Nikes, and what are any potential pitfalls or minuses of selling Nikes in a shop? Do they still require you to take on ALL the inventory that they want you to sell? I remember that being a thing years ago. If so, is that manageable, or is it too much for shops to deal with?

Wondering about this, any info is much appreciated!
[close]

I would say it's pointless to wonder
They are closing accounts left and right, they keep a few shops in order to brag about caring about shops and go the direct to customer route.

That sucks. I'm asking because there's a shop in my area that doesn't sell Nike but I think (or maybe now thought) it would really beneficial for them to open an account.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 65
« Reply #903 on: May 05, 2022, 06:42:26 PM »
how is the sole on the BMX vans slip on? they’re cupsole construction right? i’ve been looking for a new cupsole option (preferably a low top) and want something not too bulky. figured the bmx slips were wafflecup which i’m a big fan of.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #904 on: May 05, 2022, 07:48:01 PM »
how is the sole on the BMX vans slip on? they’re cupsole construction right? i’ve been looking for a new cupsole option (preferably a low top) and want something not too bulky. figured the bmx slips were wafflecup which i’m a big fan of.

I haven't seen anything recently about them, but this thread from a while back had some good close up pics and info.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114021

Super solid shoes all round in the sole and sides department.  Not sure how a slip on would work with that, but if they are out there, I guess they have found a way to incorporate the solid sole with the simple upper.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1316
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #905 on: May 05, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »
They are a Slip-On Pro with a Kyle Walker sole, straight up. I like the feel of them but I do feel like a tech bro when I wear them. They feel nice though and I was glad that they did not use the Slip-On Skate construction. Like the old Slip-On Pro of yore, they are tight as when you first get them.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #906 on: May 06, 2022, 03:41:30 AM »
If measuring decks in metric became the standard would it make peoples madness less or worse?
For me I think often I'd be like oh it's only 3mm who cares but I can imagine (maybe more so with imperial users) some others being like wtf 3mm that's huge

It wouldn't help me. I obsess most about pop angle and the units of measure wouldn't tell me what I want to know about that.

What I need to know is the rise and run of the tail or nose. If I'm lucky some brands or websites will list the tail or nose length But even when that information is correct, and it frequently isn't, it doesn't take into account the fingers of flat nor the angle of the tail.

Powell decks are pretty steady at 18° but other brands that I've been able to measure myself range between 20 to 23°. A 20° tail that measures six and 5/8 long and has a lot of fingers of flat is going to feel a whole lot different than a six and a half inch tail at 23° with very few fingers of flat.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #907 on: May 06, 2022, 04:06:38 AM »
i have old ace classic 44s that i want to use for a cruiser and i want to get oj 60mm hot juice wheels for it. my question is what size deck i would have to buy for it to be somewhat flush with the wheels? i want a shaped board so if the wheels stick out a little bit because it tapers that's not a problem, but i want to be able to kickflip that board.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #908 on: May 06, 2022, 04:13:15 AM »
i have old ace classic 44s that i want to use for a cruiser and i want to get oj 60mm hot juice wheels for it. my question is what size deck i would have to buy for it to be somewhat flush with the wheels? i want a shaped board so if the wheels stick out a little bit because it tapers that's not a problem, but i want to be able to kickflip that board.

axle is 8.35" on 44 classics

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #909 on: May 06, 2022, 04:20:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i know, but the wheels are offset and i don't know how much they add to the overall width, from edge of one wheel to the edge of the other
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #910 on: May 06, 2022, 04:30:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i know, but the wheels are offset and i don't know how much they add to the overall width, from edge of one wheel to the edge of the other

my bad, i read it too fast

NHS usually answers questions on their website, maybe give it a try:
https://nhsfunfactory.com/products/60mm-hot-juice-orange-78a-oj-skateboard-wheels

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #911 on: May 06, 2022, 04:33:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Theyre listed as 47.75 wide (so just say 48mm) and if the bearing is flush on the inside face could you measure 48mm from the edge of the hanger? Maybe take off a mm for a washer.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #912 on: May 06, 2022, 06:50:32 AM »

Can't find the pics right now but I used this wheel/truck combo for a cruiser before. You got a couple options:

1. Ride the Hot Juice as intended, deeper conical side out. If you're doing that, you can go as low as 8.5" over the trucks if you do no washers on the inside. Anything lower than that, and you're going to have some wheel peeking out.

2. Turn the hot juice inside out so it covers a bit of your truck. Not ideal if you're still planning to grind, but if you do that you cat get away with all the normal stuff you would with a 44 classic and go pretty low.

Hope that helps. If I can find pics I will post them.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #913 on: May 06, 2022, 10:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The lip of the wheel sticks out about 3/16 in. past the axle. So 44 Classics are… let’s call it 8 3/8 in. wide, add the 3/8 in. from the the overhang on both sides, and you’re probably looking at around 8.75 in. total width. Maybe an 8.8 or 9-inch deck? Or maybe like a 9.25 if it’s a shaped deck.

I have a Beach Bum I ride with 169s and 60mm Hot Juices. It’s a hot rod, but it sorta looks right on that shape, and it’s really fun. Can only imagine it being better on Aces. I think the Hot Juices have a forgiving wheelbite because of how thin the edge of the wheel is. It kinda bends when it hits the deck, so you get more of a soft scrape rather than an abrupt stop.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #914 on: May 06, 2022, 09:08:45 PM »
What's the word on bamboo decks?
I've been thinking about getting one because of saving the earth or whatever, but I'd also like to save my wallet if possible.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #915 on: May 06, 2022, 11:19:01 PM »
Got free shopgrip but am reluctant to use it but the stingy bastard in me is also reluctant to shell out 10 bucks for a sheet of Miles. The shopgrip has the shopname on it (small) and feels a bit coarse. Decisions… what would you do?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #916 on: May 06, 2022, 11:56:03 PM »
48mm = 1.89 inches
i would divide that by 2, seems logical
probably go for a full 9.25-9.5 deck for a flush fit
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #917 on: May 07, 2022, 12:13:44 AM »
Got free shopgrip but am reluctant to use it but the stingy bastard in me is also reluctant to shell out 10 bucks for a sheet of Miles. The shopgrip has the shopname on it (small) and feels a bit coarse. Decisions… what would you do?
My local also paints their name on the grip but big like fake shake junt so I never use it but if it's not too awful I would use the grip and of its shit just peel it off. Years ago I'd cut the grip into 4 and sell it to scooter kids/mum's of scooter kids but now I don't want any of that interaction

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #918 on: May 07, 2022, 05:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My local also paints their name on the grip but big like fake shake junt so I never use it but if it's not too awful I would use the grip and of its shit just peel it off. Years ago I'd cut the grip into 4 and sell it to scooter kids/mum's of scooter kids but now I don't want any of that interaction

Lol‘d at the thought of peddling grip to scooter moms, have a gnar.

The thing is I got the bloards from a non core online shop because my local doesn‘t have twin tails which is all I ride, but that means I can‘t just cut out the shop logo as it is where you have the top graphics but the whole point of riding twins is being able to go both ways and having a cut out on one side would feel wrong.

Anyway I still got a sheet of Miles so I can think this through some more.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #919 on: May 07, 2022, 05:08:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If it is too coarse, you can always use a grip offcut and dust it back a touch.

We used to cut the names / logos out of the grip and then use the rest in such a way that you would never know that you didn't have plain grip - running the sheet sideways across the main body of a board uses way less and has minimal waste too, but anything bigger than a simple or small logo or name makes a shop sheet useless to me. 

At least I keep them and give them away to people (kids) who might have more interest in free grip, with some people even being stoked on things like that.

As for buying grip, it never hurts to find a discounted supply of some plain grip in your preferred feel or brand and keep that safe for if or when you need it.  Finding Jessup by the roll was like a little bird singing in my soul...  well not quite, but as it is getting harder to come by for me, I am pretty stoked I have enough to last a while now anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #920 on: May 07, 2022, 09:20:10 AM »
Any suggestions for pivot cup lube besides speed cream or wax? I can’t stand the squeak, and it always comes back.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #921 on: May 07, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
some people said soap also works

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #922 on: May 07, 2022, 10:36:18 AM »
Any suggestions for pivot cup lube besides speed cream or wax? I can’t stand the squeak, and it always comes back.

Wax isn’t ideal because it’s going to chip away easily. A very thin coat of waterproof marine grade grease (a tub is like $5 at any auto parts store and it’s the same grease you should use for basically anything else in daily life) will usually be ideal. I might thing twice about doing it with polyurethane cups, if you are using those, because the grease could react negatively. With the hard thermoplastic cups that come with most trucks, it shouldn’t have a reaction in any kind of time scale relevant to skateboard trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #923 on: May 07, 2022, 11:15:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wax isn’t ideal because it’s going to chip away easily. A very thin coat of waterproof marine grade grease (a tub is like $5 at any auto parts store and it’s the same grease you should use for basically anything else in daily life) will usually be ideal. I might thing twice about doing it with polyurethane cups, if you are using those, because the grease could react negatively. With the hard thermoplastic cups that come with most trucks, it shouldn’t have a reaction in any kind of time scale relevant to skateboard trucks.

this got me thinking - riptide has their 'internal lube' thing going, is that an actual lubricant or is that more marketing speak for using urethane vs thermoplastic as mentioned above. and if there is a lube involved, wonder what it is...

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #924 on: May 07, 2022, 11:50:57 AM »
Something we were pondering at the skatepark the other day - why did kingpins stop snapping about 10 years ago? Did the metal used change in quality? When I was young we couldn't go a Saturday without someone in the crew snapping a kingpin but I literally don't think I've even seen it happen in over a decade
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #925 on: May 07, 2022, 12:53:32 PM »
Something we were pondering at the skatepark the other day - why did kingpins stop snapping about 10 years ago? Did the metal used change in quality? When I was young we couldn't go a Saturday without someone in the crew snapping a kingpin but I literally don't think I've even seen it happen in over a decade

Every part of a truck is better than it was ten years ago. Fewer cracked hangers, slipped axles, better bushings, no broken kingpins. I assume that the major truck makers just started using higher quality material.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #926 on: May 07, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »

I think it's mostly about the good stuff getting affordable. They could have used the same stuff in the 90s, but it would have been stupid expensive. And it's only gonna get better in the future, fuck yeah materials science!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #927 on: May 07, 2022, 01:08:59 PM »
The design has improved too….the geo and they don’t vibrate as bad…I took a set up I had from’89 for a spin last year…snapped the kingpin in an hour….

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #928 on: May 07, 2022, 01:46:27 PM »
^ also helps that, as a whole, folks are riding their trucks looser. Less broken kingpins (but more bushing / pivot issues).
Also gap/stair skating being less prominent.
SPB!

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #929 on: May 07, 2022, 02:23:48 PM »
Has anyone skated the "Blem" blank decks from CCS? Might want to buy them but I would like to know the shape and wheelbase.