Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209537 times)

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2022, 09:31:26 PM »
how does the width of a truck affect the turning, if at all?
i'm mainly asking because my friend's 5.2 ventures didn't turn as much as i would want on one of my setups, would a 5.8 handle them any differently?
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2022, 11:58:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Lately I noticed a growing number of set ups with just one rail, what's the point? And where do you put it? Heelside or toeside? And, again, why?
[close]

Toe side for me, they help control when you boardslide. Although it may get annoying when you try front board but hitting the board helps me feel more in control.

I've been rocking a single, toe side rail consistently for awhile now. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do a single heelside. I came up never skating with them (they weren't really around in the late 90s/early 2000s and if they were they would have gotten you kooked off the spot). When I started playing around with them, I found a single was a good compromise/best of both sides. You get the easier balance from 2 points of contact and easier slide for boardslides/feebles/smiths, but there is still a little resistance from sliding on the wood and its way less slick on coping than 2 rails.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2022, 07:06:32 AM »
who else has severe confidence issues with smaller boards?
swear i had my best flip tricks on 8.75s
looked good with the slower flip and more consistent

I’m the opposite- the bulkier the setup the more I worry about primo’ing and the worse my lock in is. I’ve gone up to 8.75 mostly with the same trucks and WB and hated it. Just never could get used to it. I’m 6 foot 3 but only a size 9.5 or 10 so maybe that’s it I dunno.

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2022, 07:55:27 AM »
I'd like to focus on ollieing higher this year, since it's probably my last year to be able to develop my ollie before I get too old. I just want to ollie over things the height of my knee, no big goals here.

I usually ride boards that have or are close to 8x31.5x14 dimensions, since that fits my average height, shoe size, and weight.

So, I'm thinking of the following setup:

1) A board with roughly the same width and length, but a longer wheelbase, maybe 14.5 inches, but with mellow kicks and concave so I can avoid ghost pop
2) I'd pair this longer-wheelbase board with a high truck, like Thunder Hollow his, and possibly riser pads
3) Smaller wheels, because bigger wheels can contribute to ghost pop

This is what I'm thinking so far, if anyone has any ideas on what to suggest or improve, I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, there's a lot of talk about how light boards and trucks are gimmicks and you need some leverage to pop, but I'm kind of feeling like the lightest deck and trucks are the way to go. Can anyone convince me that I'm wrong?

I admire your quest. I too am longing to ollie higher - or get back to my best ollie height. At my prime I could jump over an oil drum/ nyc trash can and I think I'd really struggle if I tried now. 2022 goals

I actually set out to film a clip of a high ollie to drop and specifically chose a longer wheelbase board and it didn't work out. I'd say stick with your current wheelbase, having more distance to slide your foot up does not help the way you think it would. Theoretically it makes sense, but practice is different.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2022, 08:22:15 AM »
Expand Quote
I'd like to focus on ollieing higher this year, since it's probably my last year to be able to develop my ollie before I get too old. I just want to ollie over things the height of my knee, no big goals here.

I usually ride boards that have or are close to 8x31.5x14 dimensions, since that fits my average height, shoe size, and weight.

So, I'm thinking of the following setup:

1) A board with roughly the same width and length, but a longer wheelbase, maybe 14.5 inches, but with mellow kicks and concave so I can avoid ghost pop
2) I'd pair this longer-wheelbase board with a high truck, like Thunder Hollow his, and possibly riser pads
3) Smaller wheels, because bigger wheels can contribute to ghost pop

This is what I'm thinking so far, if anyone has any ideas on what to suggest or improve, I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, there's a lot of talk about how light boards and trucks are gimmicks and you need some leverage to pop, but I'm kind of feeling like the lightest deck and trucks are the way to go. Can anyone convince me that I'm wrong?
[close]

I admire your quest. I too am longing to ollie higher - or get back to my best ollie height. At my prime I could jump over an oil drum/ nyc trash can and I think I'd really struggle if I tried now. 2022 goals

I actually set out to film a clip of a high ollie to drop and specifically chose a longer wheelbase board and it didn't work out. I'd say stick with your current wheelbase, having more distance to slide your foot up does not help the way you think it would. Theoretically it makes sense, but practice is different.
I think the foot far back thing can only really work if you're kinda short. I think about it like how would you setup your feet if you were just standing on the floor and tried to jump as high as you can.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2022, 09:17:22 AM »
Not sure how it applies but in most sports that require a high vertical leap there isn’t defined stance widths and ratios. I think you need to figure out the comfortable setup that works for you. I don’t think Ollie height has changed much since the late 90’s/early 2000’s and boards got bigger for other reasons.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2022, 01:28:09 AM »
i'm mainly asking because my friend's 5.2 ventures didn't turn as much as i would want on one of my setups, would a 5.8 handle them any differently?

from my experience the wider the truck the slower the turn. also hotrodding will give you slighty less leverage for the turn. i dont think the actual turn radious is affected on same brand trucks, just the reaction time.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2022, 01:33:02 AM »

My 5.6s turned a little bit sharper than my 5.8s, nothing that you don't adjust to within about 20-30 minutes though.

Truck tightness, your bushing/pivot cup setup etc matter a lot more than going up and down a quarter inch in truck size when it comes to turning radius imo.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2022, 07:16:26 AM »

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.10740

Answered here: the wider the fulcrum the less effort is required to turn. So, wider might be “looser” as in easier to turn.

Ventures have a very specific lean/turn to them to begin with so you might not like it still, but it’s worth trying. I personally like 139-144 width trucks the best as I can run them a bit looser but feel more stable. When I had 149s on decks I once wore through a ply from wheelbite

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2022, 05:49:07 AM »
Is Scram grip tape any good? What about Madness?

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2022, 08:29:52 AM »
Dude whatever happened to the Slap coupon on Orchard’s website

LebowskisRug

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2022, 09:39:27 AM »
I have a BBS Quasi that I just noticed bows up from nose to tail meaning that if you set it on a flat surface only the middle of the deck touches. Is this “normal” for certain shapes?

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2022, 10:08:28 AM »
I have a BBS Quasi that I just noticed bows up from nose to tail meaning that if you set it on a flat surface only the middle of the deck touches. Is this “normal” for certain shapes?

Their proto boards are tapered, assuming thats the one you have. 8.25 at the nose, 8.0 at the tail.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2022, 10:37:30 AM »
Nah that's not what I mean. If you set the board down on a table and look at it from the side, the middle touches the table, but it bows upward from there and neither of the bolt hole areas touches.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2022, 10:48:57 AM »
It's called a rocker, and I know some old school shapes used to employ it. Don't know what the functionality of it is though. @Mbrimson88 probably does.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2022, 10:50:23 AM »
Nah that's not what I mean. If you set the board down on a table and look at it from the side, the middle touches the table, but it bows upward from there and neither of the bolt hole areas touches.
i see what you mean. my Blast decks had that too. its kind of like a rocker. just never know if they supposed to be like that or if theyre just slightly warped.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2022, 11:19:30 AM »
Weird, never heard of such a thing. I didn't really notice it while skating so it's prob chill.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2022, 03:28:59 PM »
It's called a rocker, and I know some old school shapes used to employ it. Don't know what the functionality of it is though. @Mbrimson88 probably does.

Ha, just going through reading and then thought about those Consolidated boards that really had a significant rocker in them but I don't think that really took off.  Maybe there was too much rocker action in those boards.

The Real Low Pro was maybe the most well known version of the rocker type construction, of which I had quite a few (even one still set up too and that thing will just NOT break, even though it is so super old and flexy now).

There was even an old thread on it too, which I found while looking through a normal search online, not searching on here, but also a couple of other articles and info which is interesting to read as well.

Real Low Pro (from 2011)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=57637.0

https://www.weartested.com/real-skateboards-low-pro-ii-decks/

The Low Pro II technology is basically a center pressed production process which influences the shape of the deck. The deck is a centered rocker and thus, has a lower center of gravity which should increases control and pop.  Through the tighter concave the decks using this technology offer improved strength and lasting pop. In addition, Real used stiffer x-bands and an exclusive new additive free glue in order to increase the strength and lightness. In summary, Real promises to offer more board control and strength with their Low Pro II technology.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2022, 08:06:01 PM »
Is Scram grip tape any good? What about Madness?

idk if either of those are any good but i love some them Scram grip graphics. sorry

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2022, 05:34:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha, just going through reading and then thought about those Consolidated boards that really had a significant rocker in them but I don't think that really took off.  Maybe there was too much rocker action in those boards.

The Real Low Pro was maybe the most well known version of the rocker type construction, of which I had quite a few (even one still set up too and that thing will just NOT break, even though it is so super old and flexy now).

There was even an old thread on it too, which I found while looking through a normal search online, not searching on here, but also a couple of other articles and info which is interesting to read as well.

Real Low Pro (from 2011)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=57637.0

https://www.weartested.com/real-skateboards-low-pro-ii-decks/

The Low Pro II technology is basically a center pressed production process which influences the shape of the deck. The deck is a centered rocker and thus, has a lower center of gravity which should increases control and pop.  Through the tighter concave the decks using this technology offer improved strength and lasting pop. In addition, Real used stiffer x-bands and an exclusive new additive free glue in order to increase the strength and lightness. In summary, Real promises to offer more board control and strength with their Low Pro II technology.

If the Quasi Protos are made like that I may need to pick up a few. Skated a Low Pro 2 as a teen and it felt just right. It was the only board I ever had b/s pop shuvs on lock
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2022, 08:24:34 AM »
"turn" is to broad a term. What are people really saying when they say a truck doesn't turn? At this point I've tried pretty much every truck in pretty much every width and they all (while yes feeling a bit different) do turn. Are people trying to do slalom or trying to land a trick and immediately take a 90 degree corner?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2022, 09:46:35 AM »
"turn" is to broad a term. What are people really saying when they say a truck doesn't turn? At this point I've tried pretty much every truck in pretty much every width and they all (while yes feeling a bit different) do turn. Are people trying to do slalom or trying to land a trick and immediately take a 90 degree corner?

When I started riding ace last year I thought the same thing, they obviously turn but it's not a huge difference.
Only after switching to different trucks did I realize that I lost some kind of safety to more or less carve out of anything that gets in my way. Even though I'd consider thunders pretty responsive, it took me quite some time to get used to the different "turn" again.
I think it's an interesting question and there might be way more to it than the relatively small difference in turning radius. Curious about others opinions on this.

I'd even go as far as saying the question deserves its own thread

LebowskisRug

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2022, 10:02:28 AM »
People confusing general turning with trick-related turning where the pressure you apply and how you roll into and out of a trick matters somewhat. For me I often land back tails really heavy on my heelside and certain combos wheelbite, but when doing backside 180s I like a bit of wiggle ability when I land to correct and get back to center if I under or over rotate.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2022, 10:14:23 AM »
I catch primo on a kickflip every session and my wrists always feel it when i try to catch my fall. Do those 187 killer pads / pro-tec wrist guards actually help? Fine with wearing one, but would rather save my money if it doesn't do anything

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/187-Killer-Pads-Wrist-Guards/dp/B0142XAMDK/

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2022, 10:20:31 AM »
I catch primo on a kickflip every session and my wrists always feel it when i try to catch my fall. Do those 187 killer pads / pro-tec wrist guards actually help? Fine with wearing one, but would rather save my money if it doesn't do anything

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/187-Killer-Pads-Wrist-Guards/dp/B0142XAMDK/

I use a right when I skate now after I sprained my wrist. They are kinda cheap and breakthrough pretty quick, however a little shoe goo makes them last (had mine over a year). To answer your question, yes they definitely help.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2022, 10:32:27 AM »

They absolutely help, no matter the company, they're all the same. Takes all the impact, at least on flat

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2022, 10:41:30 AM »
Sweet, sold. Thank you guys. only do kfs on flat

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:58 AM »
What does “surfy” mean in regards to truck feel/turn? 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2022, 11:37:27 AM »

Haven't tried those ones but they are probably fine/ look decently solid. I had a bunch of bad wrist shit going on years ago and can say definatly do NOT buy any kind of special techo claiming wrist guard. They don't do shit. I don't know where you're at (I'm assuming USA) and I don't know what the deal is there but if you can see a physio and get them to make you a cast that you can take off and use as a wristguard is probably the best option but will be expensive. (And still has different problems like if you fall on your hand you will probably bend your fingers back hard because you stopped the hand and wrist bending)

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »

I got a pair of those and they do help but I hate wearing them so they only come out after I’ve already ganked a wrist.
A local barney is really into these ones https://www.oldguysriptoo.com/gorilla-palms-review/