Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202065 times)

Bunk Moreland

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #960 on: May 11, 2022, 07:40:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
has anyone found a way to successfully stretch the waist on a pair of 874s?
[close]
Size up. Dickies poly/cotton twill blend will stretch out some, but it’s harsh. Don’t wash or dry them on hot.
[close]

Yeah we used to always tell people to get the next size up in 874 and put a belt in if they were too loose around the top, which is what I have done for near on fifteen to twenty years after getting a few pairs and feeling like they were just a touch too tight in my normal size waist.

The 874 pant really need to sit up on the waist to be comfortable anyway, rather than slouch or low rise type pants.

A few guys I know who "grew" out of them put four slits in the main waistband area equally spaced, two in the front sides and two in the back sides and then used a belt and that worked for them, sort of like an expander but I don't know how much life they had left in them from doing that, or if anything more happened from cutting them.

Just an option though.
[close]

do the 874 FLEX models sit lower on the waist than the classic 874?
I always size up like 2 sizes in dickies, but I think they’re the same cut, so they sit the same.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #961 on: May 11, 2022, 07:45:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Size up. Dickies poly/cotton twill blend will stretch out some, but it’s harsh. Don’t wash or dry them on hot.
[close]

Yeah we used to always tell people to get the next size up in 874 and put a belt in if they were too loose around the top, which is what I have done for near on fifteen to twenty years after getting a few pairs and feeling like they were just a touch too tight in my normal size waist.

The 874 pant really need to sit up on the waist to be comfortable anyway, rather than slouch or low rise type pants.

A few guys I know who "grew" out of them put four slits in the main waistband area equally spaced, two in the front sides and two in the back sides and then used a belt and that worked for them, sort of like an expander but I don't know how much life they had left in them from doing that, or if anything more happened from cutting them.

Just an option though.
[close]

Not in my experience. They’re essentially the same pant but with the added stretch in the fabric. There’s no give in the waist so I still size up on 874 flex

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #962 on: May 11, 2022, 07:58:23 AM »

The 874 flex pair that I tried on seemed tighter all over than the usual 874 pants, but that was one pair on one day and I didn't buy them, mainly because I had so many of the normal 874 pants, but I didn't want to have options for different things and then buy a whole lot more.

In general, from buying half a dozen pairs of the same pants at the same time (yes even same colour) when I had a good deal, the fit and sizing varied significantly, so as much as some will be just right, others were way too big and some were too small, so I don't know if anything has changed in that regard, but trying them on is a must, or more commonly buying a size up and just going with whatever comes, as I have learned to do over the years.

I like the bit more room the next size up gives me as well, but everyone wears them to their own tastes.  When people were wearing them lower, they were more likely to rip the inseam or have other issues with limited movement as they are designed to sit high, compared to the other 873 or 872 versions, which sit a lot lower on the hips than anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #963 on: May 11, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
I have a question/theory thing:

Smaller feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole on the side of the shoe

Larger feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole closer to the toes and not on the side of the shoe.

I know technique of ollie plays a large role, but there has to be some scientific relationship here between shoe size and surface area affecting ollie hole placement.

Thoughts?

FWIW:  I'm an 11-11.5 and my ollie hole area almost always is closer to the toe than it is on the side where those rubber bumpers usually get placed (AA Authentic High, Emerica Pillar, etc.)

I think we need to study this closer sometime.

I have small feets. And I get my Ollie hole here

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #964 on: May 12, 2022, 10:57:06 AM »
 i have small feet and i get ollie holes in that same area, but i would assume most of the wear is due to a bunion from stuffing my feet in janoskis for years in high school

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #965 on: May 12, 2022, 01:21:38 PM »
Ledge feebles - does the ledge need to be waxed like crazy and far into the ledge for this or am I just too untalented for ledge feebles ?

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #966 on: May 12, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
I have a question/theory thing:

Smaller feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole on the side of the shoe

Larger feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole closer to the toes and not on the side of the shoe.

I know technique of ollie plays a large role, but there has to be some scientific relationship here between shoe size and surface area affecting ollie hole placement.

Thoughts?

FWIW:  I'm an 11-11.5 and my ollie hole area almost always is closer to the toe than it is on the side where those rubber bumpers usually get placed (AA Authentic High, Emerica Pillar, etc.)
[close]

I think we need to study this closer sometime.

I have small feets. And I get my Ollie hole here

I wear size 8 and skate 8.5 and get the same hole. But when I skated smaller boards I would get a hole closer to the toe, especially skating eras

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #967 on: May 12, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »
Ledge feebles - does the ledge need to be waxed like crazy and far into the ledge for this or am I just too untalented for ledge feebles ?
Lean your head and shoulders away from the ledge, like you’re in transition, and chant “Mike Carrol” three times when approaching the ledge.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #968 on: May 13, 2022, 12:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just an option though.
[close]

[close]

Not in my experience. They’re essentially the same pant but with the added stretch in the fabric. There’s no give in the waist so I still size up on 874 flex

IIRC back in the day, Dickies used to be made with somewhat of a triangular gusset/pleat along the center of the back, sewn together but the stitching could be taken out with scissors or a seam ripper to give an extra inch or two in the waist. Sort of like the way Red Kap pants are, except you have to resew Red Kaps.

Not sure why they stopped doing that, probably to save production costs and to sell more pants.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #969 on: May 13, 2022, 12:09:35 AM »
I need some real ones to tell me about the AF1 grind. I've nearly skated all trucks. Indys honestly have one of the best grinds. With that said, I've unlocked more tricks on thunders. Currently on a long WB, so I wanna shorten it up with some trucks. Dont love buying into indys because its just not my vibe. I'll buy AF1s even if they aren't indy grind worthy, but if they are really sticky I'm not down.
The chillest1

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #970 on: May 13, 2022, 03:55:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just an option though.
[close]

[close]

[close]

IIRC back in the day, Dickies used to be made with somewhat of a triangular gusset/pleat along the center of the back, sewn together but the stitching could be taken out with scissors or a seam ripper to give an extra inch or two in the waist. Sort of like the way Red Kap pants are, except you have to resew Red Kaps.

Not sure why they stopped doing that, probably to save production costs and to sell more pants.

That is going back a while, maybe all USA made for those ones and yes I did have a whole lot of those pass through my hands, many of which did get taken out as it made them fit the people in a more true size number to actual size waist, if that makes any sense.

Like everything, I think the older pants were of a better material and make than the newer ones, which are a bit more here and there in quality and fit, but they are what they are - to me just simple work pants and not a fashion brand.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #971 on: May 13, 2022, 03:58:30 AM »
I need some real ones to tell me about the AF1 grind. I've nearly skated all trucks. Indys honestly have one of the best grinds. With that said, I've unlocked more tricks on thunders. Currently on a long WB, so I wanna shorten it up with some trucks. Dont love buying into indys because its just not my vibe. I'll buy AF1s even if they aren't indy grind worthy, but if they are really sticky I'm not down.

Others who have them have no issues with them in that regard.

The one set I have on a board skate fine - haven't really hit anything much with them, besides my ramp at home and a couple of other quick spots, but once I got used to the bushings they didn't feel any different to other brands of truck in how they were working, so I would say YES to getting some if you were thinking about it.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #972 on: May 13, 2022, 04:48:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lean your head and shoulders away from the ledge, like you’re in transition, and chant “Mike Carrol” three times when approaching the ledge.

Will try that!

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #973 on: May 13, 2022, 04:51:40 AM »
How would you film this when you don’t have anybody who is a good filmer, so he can just stand or sit somewhere and film:

100 foot manual with a 6 stair at the end.

I got an iPhone 13 pro and the deathlens fish eyes.

Advices pls. Thx

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #974 on: May 13, 2022, 06:17:07 AM »
How would you film this when you don’t have anybody who is a good filmer, so he can just stand or sit somewhere and film:

100 foot manual with a 6 stair at the end.

I got an iPhone 13 pro and the deathlens fish eyes.

Advices pls. Thx

I am not sure a fisheye would help in that case.
Maybe just post your camera at the bottom of the stairs on like a higher plateau. The wheelie would be in the picture and the drop too.

Or put your phone sideways to the spot so you get everything in the picture. Would look cool in 16:9 I think.

You might have a picture of the spot?
IG: @flowterspace

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #975 on: May 13, 2022, 06:23:49 AM »
I bought an iPhone tripod with retractable legs for solo sessions like that and it's pretty nice. I'm struggling to draw a mental image of this spot you're describing but if it's a matter of a good vantage point, maybe tripod it on top of your car or something?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #976 on: May 13, 2022, 07:39:54 AM »
Oh you got me wrong! I have somebody who can film, but he can’t skate and film good enough to roll behind or next to me, so he can just stand somewhere and film.

Unfortunately no photo of the spot. It’s a 40 minutes ride from here

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #977 on: May 13, 2022, 08:15:39 AM »
Oh you got me wrong! I have somebody who can film, but he can’t skate and film good enough to roll behind or next to me, so he can just stand somewhere and film.

Do what fs1/2cab said but bring a ladder or something to stand on at the bottom of the stairs.(But make sure they can still catch the roll away). If it's easy for you do it a bunch of times and play around with the zoom. Eg start zoomed in and zoom out as you manual, getting closer to the filmer and try have a nice shot of the stairs at the end

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #978 on: May 13, 2022, 08:20:12 AM »
don't think this question has a real answer but i'll throw it out there anyway.
as some of you know, older ventures have the V facing so when you ride it readable versus what venture does now which is have a design that's readable in product shots and upside down when riding a board. thunder does this as well, so is it just a dlx thing to go against what independent & co do? ace does their sizing where it's upside down in product shots as well, so i guess we can count that too.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #979 on: May 13, 2022, 08:22:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Do what fs1/2cab said but bring a ladder or something to stand on at the bottom of the stairs.(But make sure they can still catch the roll away). If it's easy for you do it a bunch of times and play around with the zoom. Eg start zoomed in and zoom out as you manual, getting closer to the filmer and try have a nice shot of the stairs at the end

Thanks, so better no fisheye and just iPhone cam to zoom, yeah?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #980 on: May 13, 2022, 08:39:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

well that's what I think. Youre going to be too far away when you start manualling. Fisheye would only really be good if they were skating near you.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #981 on: May 13, 2022, 08:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just an option though.
[close]

[close]

Just was looking on the Aus site, I assume everywhere gets the same stuff and there are pants they say are the same as 874 but with elastic waist. There's also pants just called "super baggy" but there's no real info on them. Altho I guess if they're already super baggy and you still have to upsize for waist you could just end up in clown pants territory

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #982 on: May 13, 2022, 10:02:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just an option though.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That is going back a while, maybe all USA made for those ones and yes I did have a whole lot of those pass through my hands, many of which did get taken out as it made them fit the people in a more true size number to actual size waist, if that makes any sense.

Like everything, I think the older pants were of a better material and make than the newer ones, which are a bit more here and there in quality and fit, but they are what they are - to me just simple work pants and not a fashion brand.

Yeah, all the ones I got in that era were all purchased from actual work wear shops. It was long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away from the current fashion brand it has become.

Sadly, to a certain extent, the same thing has happened to Ben Davis, and Carhartt.

Prices have gone up, and quality has gone sideways.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #983 on: May 13, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
don't think this question has a real answer but i'll throw it out there anyway.
as some of you know, older ventures have the V facing so when you ride it readable versus what venture does now which is have a design that's readable in product shots and upside down when riding a board. thunder does this as well, so is it just a dlx thing to go against what independent & co do? ace does their sizing where it's upside down in product shots as well, so i guess we can count that too.

Yeah, no right answer, just difference of opinion. Kind of like words/company names that go across the whole board nose to tail vs tail to nose.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
« Reply #984 on: May 13, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »
Has anyone replaced the Indy standard kingpin with the Krux DLK K5 Kingpin? I want to give it a shot but I don't know what to expect and if they're compatible.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #985 on: May 13, 2022, 10:41:54 AM »
Has anyone replaced the Indy standard kingpin with the Krux DLK K5 Kingpin? I want to give it a shot but I don't know what to expect and if they're compatible.

I acquired a set of 159 standards that had been modded for a K5 DLK. The K5 DLK is identical to the pins used in the Indy mid & IKP plates, so you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:57:20 AM by Ronnie Rodriguez »

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #986 on: May 13, 2022, 10:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
well that's what I think. Youre going to be too far away when you start manualling. Fisheye would only really be good if they were skating near you.

Right, thx!

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #987 on: May 13, 2022, 06:10:31 PM »
Do titanium Indy 215’s exist?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #988 on: May 13, 2022, 06:24:29 PM »
No. Just standard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #989 on: May 14, 2022, 04:42:43 PM »
Do bushings get softer when it's hot? I skate Indy's and just moved to a hotter area and it really felt like my shit was looser. 50-65F before and 65-90F new location.