Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 201869 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #990 on: May 14, 2022, 05:23:42 PM »
Do bushings get softer when it's hot? I skate Indy's and just moved to a hotter area and it really felt like my shit was looser. 50-65F before and 65-90F new location.

Yes, bushings from most brands definitely change with the temperature. 

The one time I went on a "cold weather" trip when we were kids, our bushings were like rocks and none of us could skate and we didn't know why until someone explained it to us.

The same happens in warmer weather, with bushings feeling softer.

I forget who, but someone once said they always tighten their trucks down a full turn in warmer places, or loosen it off a full turn in colder places and it worked well for them.

Also I think people have said Bones bushings are least likely to be affected by the temperature.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #991 on: May 15, 2022, 01:37:43 AM »
^this. Suffices to skate a metal surfaced ramp when the sun is shining and the metal is getting hot.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #992 on: May 16, 2022, 10:38:08 AM »
Do bushings get softer when it's hot? I skate Indy's and just moved to a hotter area and it really felt like my shit was looser. 50-65F before and 65-90F new location.

Welcome to San Diego

LebowskisRug

« Reply #993 on: May 16, 2022, 10:47:58 AM »
Ok good to know I suddenly do not need Ventures.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #994 on: May 16, 2022, 11:47:03 AM »
I’ve got an extra set of thunder juice that I’d like to pair with a mini board and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for mini cruiser decks? I was going to pick up a mini Chico Stix but it sold out real quick.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #995 on: May 16, 2022, 01:48:01 PM »
I’ve got an extra set of thunder juice that I’d like to pair with a mini board and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for mini cruiser decks? I was going to pick up a mini Chico Stix but it sold out real quick.

If you or anyone you know have the tools to cut a old board and shape it how you like it, do that. It is fun.
I think I have one laying around at my parents place, if you want to see a photo.
IG: @flowterspace

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #996 on: May 16, 2022, 05:21:37 PM »
Has anyone replaced the Indy standard kingpin with the Krux DLK K5 Kingpin? I want to give it a shot but I don't know what to expect and if they're compatible.
i can't say myself, but check out @fuckwithyourtrucks on instagram. they have heaps of information on kingpins, be it inverted or otherwise. there's also a ton of skateboarding gear history on there, and more tips/tricks than you could ever need
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #997 on: May 17, 2022, 07:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone replaced the Indy standard kingpin with the Krux DLK K5 Kingpin? I want to give it a shot but I don't know what to expect and if they're compatible.
[close]
i can't say myself, but check out @fuckwithyourtrucks on instagram. they have heaps of information on kingpins, be it inverted or otherwise. there's also a ton of skateboarding gear history on there, and more tips/tricks than you could ever need

I’ve put the Krux hollow DLK in Indys. Works fine. I JB welded the nuts into the baseplates. Definitely gained some clearance. If I was riding only Indy, I might pop for the plates with the inverted pins.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #998 on: May 17, 2022, 07:38:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I’ve put the Krux hollow DLK in Indys. Works fine. I JB welded the nuts into the baseplates. Definitely gained some clearance. If I was riding only Indy, I might pop for the plates with the inverted pins.

Already posted it above, but the Krux K5 is the exact same pin that Indy is using in the IKP plates. One nice things about the K5 vs the older hollow IKP is that the K5 has more threads and is a bit more adjustable than the hollow pin.

My set is JB welded. If you're doing it for the first time, I would recommend scoring the inside of the cavity to give the epoxy more to grip to. I would also recommend putting a small disc of tape over the nut (with the pin in it, flush) to keep any epoxy from going into the threads.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #999 on: May 18, 2022, 06:28:22 AM »
So are the new bmx vans soles made of softer rubber? Would sometimes get bmx vans years ago and the soles were always harder rubber. Why would a bmxer want super soft soles?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2022, 06:55:59 AM »
Probably because they need more cushion and less boardfeel

Old Skool, Sk8-Hi and Slip on on Waffle Cup (hybrid sole you find on Crockett's and Kwalk's)

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
What has a more mellow concave and kicks quasi or GX 1000 or any other recommendation. Looking for a board with a square nose and tail like hockey but not so steep

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1002 on: May 18, 2022, 05:27:09 PM »
What has a more mellow concave and kicks quasi or GX 1000 or any other recommendation. Looking for a board with a square nose and tail like hockey but not so steep

If you want PS wood those are good options. But I would suggest AWS or Habitat as being closer in shape to Hockey on terms of fullness. Quasi tend to taper a bit more in the tail.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1003 on: May 18, 2022, 06:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you want PS wood those are good options. But I would suggest AWS or Habitat as being closer in shape to Hockey on terms of fullness. Quasi tend to taper a bit more in the tail.

Quasi and GX feel pretty mellow across the middle with a good amount of flex for that already broken-in feel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #1004 on: May 18, 2022, 08:53:10 PM »

Its literally the exact same board with different graphics. Quasi and GX are essentially sister companies, they use the same shapes and used to be run out of the same place (not sure if they still are in the pandemic era).

In general it depends on the mold but the tail on the square PS boards tends to be mellower, though the noses can often be as steep as the bbs hockey/fa shape.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1005 on: May 19, 2022, 12:31:17 PM »
Random one for older skaters. So in the 80s, early 90s did everyone's shoes just stink? I don't even know what makes me think this just from watching footage. maybe it was just a pop culture trope like the stinky gym socks and hightop shoes. Tv always had like cool slacker unhygienic characters then the mid 90s and onwards everything was cool and fresh

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1006 on: May 19, 2022, 02:19:41 PM »
Random one for older skaters. So in the 80s, early 90s did everyone's shoes just stink? I don't even know what makes me think this just from watching footage. maybe it was just a pop culture trope like the stinky gym socks and hightop shoes. Tv always had like cool slacker unhygienic characters then the mid 90s and onwards everything was cool and fresh

You just made me smell my shoes after skating and it's not pleasant at all. Can confirm that in 2022 my shoes are still stinky

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #1007 on: May 19, 2022, 02:36:08 PM »
Do board brands save a significant amount of cash by not including a stained bottom ply?  I am ok with assorted top ply colors - no red top superstition here - but man, unstained bottom plies bum me out.

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1008 on: May 19, 2022, 03:40:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You just made me smell my shoes after skating and it's not pleasant at all. Can confirm that in 2022 my shoes are still stinky

Yea my shoes smell horrible to glad I'm not the only one with this problem

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1009 on: May 19, 2022, 03:44:31 PM »

I have no answers  but I am in the same boat I want a more square shape like FA I just don't want it to be crazy steep

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #1010 on: May 19, 2022, 04:25:12 PM »
Looking into trying out some bigger size wheels soon. Not to get on the new trend but it’s been appealing to me more and more watching dudes skate big wheels(54+).

I’m looking at a cheap set of 56mm. With that accompanies riser pads which I’m not upset about but these “shock pads” stir the inner kid in me.

I’m old, and don’t really have the desire to buy into gimmicks. With that said, are there any pros to shock pads or can I safely just stick with the normal ol flatties?

Can’t find any wood ones did that trend die?

<3 my slap pals
The chillest1

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1011 on: May 19, 2022, 04:29:22 PM »
Looking into trying out some bigger size wheels soon. Not to get on the new trend but it’s been appealing to me more and more watching dudes skate big wheels(54+).

I’m looking at a cheap set of 56mm. With that accompanies riser pads which I’m not upset about but these “shock pads” stir the inner kid in me.

I’m old, and don’t really have the desire to buy into gimmicks. With that said, are there any pros to shock pads or can I safely just stick with the normal ol flatties?

<3 my slap pals

I'm in the minority here but I love shock pads or even softer plastic risers like Lucky. It keeps the board from pressure cracking and mellows the impact of my already low impact skating. Some folks complain that they make the board sound dead, but I don't notice it. They just feel good to me.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1012 on: May 19, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »

<3 my slap pals

Real sells great wood risers, made of old decks I think

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1013 on: May 19, 2022, 06:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote

<3 my slap pals
[close]

I'm in the minority here but I love shock pads or even softer plastic risers like Lucky. It keeps the board from pressure cracking and mellows the impact of my already low impact skating. Some folks complain that they make the board sound dead, but I don't notice it. They just feel good to me.

I’ve got some lucky risers from the early 2000s, can confirm they are soft, in a pleasant way. Unfortunately mine used to be clear, and are now yellowing because very old.

I just got some of the real wooden risers. Will report back.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #1014 on: May 19, 2022, 06:22:10 PM »

Quasi Proto 2 shape is quite flat and mellow but same squared noses

Slight taper of .125 from nose to tail is correct

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1015 on: May 19, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »
Do board brands save a significant amount of cash by not including a stained bottom ply?  I am ok with assorted top ply colors - no red top superstition here - but man, unstained bottom plies bum me out.

There’s literally nothing I hate more on a deck than an unstained bottom ply. I will avoid at all costs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: May 19, 2022, 08:33:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have no answers  but I am in the same boat I want a more square shape like FA I just don't want it to be crazy steep

Some that are overlooked are the DLX (mainly Real nowdays) Full SE boards, which definitely are not as steep as FA / Hockey but still have squared off kicks and good overall shapes.  Numbers I to IV on top, IV being the most mellow.

https://www.realskateboards.com/

As said AWS / Habitat are another one with squared shapes, about medium concave / kicks, but often have shorter wheelbases with longer kicks, which some people like but some do not.

It is a funny thing as some woodshops or even some deck brands prefer the single top stained ply and one in the middle or second from bottom with natural bottom, which I got used to over the years, but more often than not nowdays I just want stained bottoms too.

I don't think it is a quality thing, especially from brands like Baker / BBS but it is more common with some brands than others.

Pricepoint decks often just had the single top stain and all the rest natural under some brands like DLX, but the pro boards had at least two (top and middle) with some having more through but natural bottoms, so it is maybe more just choice of how some brands want their boards to look, than cost savings.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: May 19, 2022, 08:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There’s literally nothing I hate more on a deck than an unstained bottom ply. I will avoid at all costs.

I have been taking graphics off quite a few boards recently, so the colour of the stain is a lot more important to me and yes I am not at all keen on natural bottom ply layers.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1018 on: May 19, 2022, 08:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote

<3 my slap pals
[close]

I like lucky for soft risers but have been riding some 1/8” krooked soft risers with 60mm NFG and wheel wells. If you’re “particular” about stuff on your board though, you may want to avoid the krooked ones as their asymmetrical inner supports make them end up slightly crooked in a literal sense. Like not quite rectangular although they still fit fine under baseplates.

I prefer hard plastic (haven’t tried wood yet) risers though. They seem to have less issues with truck bolts loosening and I like the more direct feel from the trucks.

I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1019 on: May 19, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m sure some company that I like could do it and I’d want it…but in general the unstained bottom ply looks more fragile. I’m sure I broke a few cheap boards back in the old days, and came to this ‘theory’, but yeah. Flimsy looking