Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202255 times)

braksabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 192
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1020 on: May 19, 2022, 09:39:00 PM »
I’d take natural over brown stain any day. Current board and the one on ice are Mop Bucket Water Brown and it’s truly disgusting

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #1021 on: May 19, 2022, 11:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do board brands save a significant amount of cash by not including a stained bottom ply?  I am ok with assorted top ply colors - no red top superstition here - but man, unstained bottom plies bum me out.
[close]

There’s literally nothing I hate more on a deck than an unstained bottom ply. I will avoid at all costs.
[close]

I’m sure some company that I like could do it and I’d want it…but in general the unstained bottom ply looks more fragile. I’m sure I broke a few cheap boards back in the old days, and came to this ‘theory’, but yeah. Flimsy looking
Fifty cents to a buck fifty a deck (depending on manufacturer). Sometimes more of a markup for color specific plys. So depending on your order size and budget it could.
And yeah, 9/10 natural looks like doodoo.
Imagine a natural deck with Bones wheels.
Bar-fo-rama .

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #1022 on: May 20, 2022, 01:51:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do board brands save a significant amount of cash by not including a stained bottom ply?  I am ok with assorted top ply colors - no red top superstition here - but man, unstained bottom plies bum me out.
[close]

There’s literally nothing I hate more on a deck than an unstained bottom ply. I will avoid at all costs.
[close]

I’m sure some company that I like could do it and I’d want it…but in general the unstained bottom ply looks more fragile. I’m sure I broke a few cheap boards back in the old days, and came to this ‘theory’, but yeah. Flimsy looking
[close]
Fifty cents to a buck fifty a deck (depending on manufacturer). Sometimes more of a markup for color specific plys. So depending on your order size and budget it could.
And yeah, 9/10 natural looks like doodoo.
Imagine a natural deck with Bones wheels.
Bar-fo-rama .

last one i had (good few years ago) made me feel like i was skating a tech deck with the top and bottom plys unstained.  :-\ iirc that board skated fine just wasn't pleasing to the eye when looking down etc.

i like minimal graphics/logo's but there's got to be some colour in there.

im a fan of blue, green and yellow bottoms with a pink top if i can find one. but no yellow tops (back to tech deck status there.ha)

someone throw a vote up on ply colours, could be entertaining.

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1023 on: May 20, 2022, 04:12:43 AM »
Any opinions on skating the love seat shape on small transition?
I recently made a lot of progress on transition by skating a 9x32.75x14.75 deck, but all blunt tricks got way worse because it's just uncomfortably long. I feel like noseblunts and all that would feel amazing on a short deck.

It might be a problem though because the only big trucks I have are ace. So that's gonna be the shortest effective wheelbase possible.
Thankful for all opinions on this.

Edit: Alternative recommendations are great too
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:24:48 AM by goodatmeth »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1024 on: May 21, 2022, 06:19:35 AM »
I recently made a lot of progress on transition by skating a 9x32.75x14.75 deck, but all blunt tricks got way worse because it's just uncomfortably long. I feel like noseblunts and all that would feel amazing on a short deck.

It might be a problem though because the only big trucks I have are ace. So that's gonna be the shortest effective wheelbase possible.

@Frank and Fred has both the longer Cardiel Huffer and the shorter Love Seat setup on Ace trucks, so he would be the man to tell you.

Check his previous posts as they are in one thread or other...

This one (Couch shape is the same 13.85 or so wheelbase as Love Seat isn't it?!?):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111108.msg3790975#msg3790975

Yes same:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111108.msg3654432#msg3654432

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #1025 on: May 21, 2022, 06:41:53 AM »
When was the last time any of you rode a prebuilt complete. For a while I’ve been thinking of grabbing one and putting it through it’s passes, just to have a better idea of what they’re like.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1026 on: May 21, 2022, 07:41:58 AM »
When was the last time any of you rode a prebuilt complete. For a while I’ve been thinking of grabbing one and putting it through it’s passes, just to have a better idea of what they’re like.

We had a few completes from various brands we had a skate on not too long ago, all were fairly reasonable for mid quality and price completes.  They all held up well enough and worked as they should, but nothing amazing and I was glad I got back on my normal board after that.

I think the most recent full complete was pre covid with a DLX "pro setup" complete which is not too far off what could be a normal pro setup anyway, 8.5 DLX pricepoint deck, 149 Thunder team trucks, generic bolts, grip, bearings, Spitfire 54mm Cheapshots wheels, so really a decent pro board in my size, that skated great.

There are quite a few pro / other brands that are putting out reasonable completes, but I don't think anything in the complete market now actually comes with pro brand parts, almost all being a more generic version of everything completely made in and assembled in China, including deck, trucks, wheels that might be of the certain brand name but are definitely not the same as the standard parts if you bought the deck separately.  They still hold up fine for beginners and kids, but they didn't really last too well for anyone further along than that.

Some distributors are maybe building completes or having them pre-built and sent over with Ace trucks on them and fairly generic everything else, which are decent enough here in AU, but I don't think those same brand boards are anywhere else in the world.  Given the trucks last the longest of any skateboard part, that is actually a good thing, as they have board sizes from 8 through 8.25 up to 8.5 and Ace classic 33s and 44s on them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1027 on: May 21, 2022, 09:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@Frank and Fred has both the longer Cardiel Huffer and the shorter Love Seat setup on Ace trucks, so he would be the man to tell you.

Check his previous posts as they are in one thread or other...

This one (Couch shape is the same 13.85 or so wheelbase as Love Seat isn't it?!?):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111108.msg3790975#msg3790975

Yes same:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111108.msg3654432#msg3654432

I have a Couch set up right now with Classic Ace 55s and a Loveseat in the pile (only very slight width difference but all other dimensions are the same). I used to ride Couches with Thunder 151 only but I am trying to commit to one brand of truck. I though the Ace would be too squirrely on a sub 14" WB but I mostly use this board for quick flat ground and curb sessions. However, I took it to a park last week and it was fine. Not something I'd skate a bigger bowl with for sure but its really fun to have a tiny WB with Ace's. My friend has a super tight and small backyard bowl that is begging for this set up. Try it. I'd recommend AF1 60s personally... but I have a few older sets of Ace I need to get to axle before I fully commit to the 60s myself...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1028 on: May 21, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
Need a recommendation for a AWS 8.25 replacment. Same dimensions and shape (full nose) but I know that's pretty hard to find considering the AWS / Habitat shape is unique.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #1029 on: May 22, 2022, 08:58:07 AM »
Need a recommendation for a AWS 8.25 replacment. Same dimensions and shape (full nose) but I know that's pretty hard to find considering the AWS / Habitat shape is unique.
If Real puts out a full in 8.25, check that out. The AWS 8.25 is prob my favorite all around deck and I’ve had qite a few. I thought Quasi’s 8.25 proto would be a great substitute but it’s much shorter that they claim, which didn’t work for me. Both I tried were PS though.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1030 on: May 22, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
Wheelbase re-drilling enthusiasts: further from the original holes is generally considered better and is more likely to keep a board from breaking, right?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1031 on: May 22, 2022, 12:41:39 PM »
Eyeing those Vans surf chukka: if I put in some Popcush insoles will they skate much different than a skate Vans? I know the rubber is slightly different.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #1032 on: May 22, 2022, 12:49:41 PM »
whats that tom penny vid where he does a line for a minute or two in empty streets, looks like its early morning when the suns come up?  thanks

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1033 on: May 22, 2022, 12:55:10 PM »
whats that tom penny vid where he does a line for a minute or two in empty streets, looks like its early morning when the suns come up?  thanks

https://youtu.be/ub2x_6cMLJs

ATM Click guest part.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1034 on: May 22, 2022, 01:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://youtu.be/ub2x_6cMLJs

ATM Click guest part.

Never seen that part before. Thanks for posting.
That was awesome with the Lou Reed song.
IG: @flowterspace

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #1035 on: May 22, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
@Easy Slider thank you  :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1036 on: May 22, 2022, 08:00:15 PM »
Wheelbase re-drilling enthusiasts: further from the original holes is generally considered better and is more likely to keep a board from breaking, right?

I have done it but 1/4" is a bit too close, whereas 3/8" (same as the six hole baseplate) seems to be the best, then whatever from there up.  It is also easy to use a six hole baseplate as a template, if you have any.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1037 on: May 23, 2022, 03:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have done it but 1/4" is a bit too close, whereas 3/8" (same as the six hole baseplate) seems to be the best, then whatever from there up.  It is also easy to use a six hole baseplate as a template, if you have any.

+1 this. It really is the best way, a totally dummy proof (i can attest :))

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1038 on: May 23, 2022, 06:17:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, guys. I have a chems tool and I've done it a couple times before (once 1/2" in, once 1/2" out). I've read that anything less than 3/8" is a bad idea, but I just wanted to be sure that going in the opposite direction and re-drilling my WB by a whole 1" wouldn't have some unforeseen consequences.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1039 on: May 23, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
Looking for recommendations on 8.38-8.5 decks with 14.25 wheelbase. Big fan of Quasi decks usually, any other decks that have similar dims/feel?

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #1040 on: May 23, 2022, 12:29:29 PM »
The DLX team 8.5x31 has 14.25 wb but will be more tapered in the kicks

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1041 on: May 23, 2022, 07:28:11 PM »
Have you ever had a baseplate so bent, it would break boards if not landing bolts?

I have a set of 44s, skated them since 1/1/2021, had a couple of decks that lasted me a long time, since the 3rd board I broke them all (6 or 7) by kickflips landed in the tail. Big boards, small boards, flat or steep, some lasted me a couple of weeks, some 2 sessions. I know I'm kinda heavy footed but since switching to my old 8.3 twin tail with 147s I had no issues in almost two months.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #1042 on: May 23, 2022, 08:11:01 PM »
Looking for recommendations on 8.38-8.5 decks with 14.25 wheelbase. Big fan of Quasi decks usually, any other decks that have similar dims/feel?

Hockey/FA. They have 8.5 with a 14.25WB. They also have a squared off nose like Quasi but the concave is much steeper.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1043 on: May 23, 2022, 09:34:06 PM »
Could truck companies make a kingpin where the nut is the same size as an axle nut? Ace a while back did the axle nuts the same size as hardware but and I'm guessing that didn't work because they didn't keep it around. I think those were wierd oval nuts or something tho. I'm thinking maybe even reduce the diameter of the kingpin where it's threaded. Idea being the smaller nut drags less on Smith's etc and doesn't require any inverted KP business. Bonus being also one less tool, all nuts same size easier to swap and find spare ones

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1044 on: May 23, 2022, 10:43:54 PM »
Could truck companies make a kingpin where the nut is the same size as an axle nut? Ace a while back did the axle nuts the same size as hardware but and I'm guessing that didn't work because they didn't keep it around. I think those were wierd oval nuts or something tho. I'm thinking maybe even reduce the diameter of the kingpin where it's threaded. Idea being the smaller nut drags less on Smith's etc and doesn't require any inverted KP business. Bonus being also one less tool, all nuts same size easier to swap and find spare ones

Lurpiv
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: May 23, 2022, 10:56:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks, guys. I have a chems tool and I've done it a couple times before (once 1/2" in, once 1/2" out). I've read that anything less than 3/8" is a bad idea, but I just wanted to be sure that going in the opposite direction and re-drilling my WB by a whole 1" wouldn't have some unforeseen consequences.

I think more than anything it was the possibility of the bolt holes being too close to the existing ones that it could break through the wood, but going further away from existing holes is not a worry at all.

For some of the boards we have cut down and remade in to "junior riders" the wheelbase was shortened a lot, maybe 2" or so on some, with the nose almost no kick, but it worked great for the small kids and recycled our older normal sized boards.

The only thing I have noticed is drilling out further, if you drill too far into the kick area, it will not only put off the feel of the board but also make the truck sit up on an angle or not touch the board from end to end.  A little of this is not a big deal, but more than a bit and the board might have issues, as per some I had done, but I used a soft riser to get around the curve of the kick and it was on a cruiser so it worked well enough for that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1046 on: May 23, 2022, 11:02:08 PM »
Have you ever had a baseplate so bent, it would break boards if not landing bolts?

I have a set of 44s, skated them since 1/1/2021, had a couple of decks that lasted me a long time, since the 3rd board I broke them all (6 or 7) by kickflips landed in the tail. Big boards, small boards, flat or steep, some lasted me a couple of weeks, some 2 sessions. I know I'm kinda heavy footed but since switching to my old 8.3 twin tail with 147s I had no issues in almost two months.

If you mean the truck is cutting into the deck and causing breakage around or over the bolt area, that is fairly common, with either something put in between (soft riser / cardboard, etc) or rounding off the sharp edge of the truck - even just scrape it on concrete ground to remove the sharp edge, no tools needed and it stops that extra bite from the metal truck into the wood of the board.

I would often do this even to new trucks and from looking at the decks afterwards, there is way less of the usual truck bite mark into the wood.  I also put a cut up sticker or something on the board under where the truck goes, sort of like a riser but without the height or seeing it, but this also prevents significant truck bite into the board as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5X3o9qFYuI/

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1047 on: May 23, 2022, 11:07:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lurpiv
Looking at all the problems lurpiv has had is actually what got me thinking about alternatives lol

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #1048 on: May 24, 2022, 05:02:35 AM »
Anybody else have their inboard speed ring work its way into the face of the hanger or otherwise develop burrs?  Mine get all effed up and start making the bearings feel misaligned - way before even the midpoint of the trucks or wheels lifespan.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #1049 on: May 24, 2022, 07:40:18 AM »
Been skating the Girl - Loveseat shape for a year now on titanium Indy 159’s but I am curious about experimenting with other trucks for fun.

Not knowing dick about trucks, what other brands make a titanium/hollow/generally light truck for 8.75”-9” boards?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E