Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 208134 times)

Ol Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 101
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1320 on: June 30, 2022, 02:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
whats the quality of the prints on dlx hoodies?
i usually stick with embroidery for longevity purposes
but if an eagle graphic can handle some washes im down
[close]

I've had my Thunder hoodie for a year, it looks new. I wash it a couple of times a month.
[close]
I don’t know about the quality or durability of the screen yet, but I recently picked up a Venture hoodie & I’ll tell you what I’ve learned…
First, I highly recommend swapping out the stock drawstring it comes with inside the hood. I’ve replaced mine with a Kevlar unit for abrasion resistance, and then, for weight reduction, replaced the plastic aglets on the end of the string with some titanium jawns I picked up from the local technical/tactical fabric supply. They cost a bit more but I’ve already shaved 2 mg of weight right there!
Next, I replaced the sleeves with some Thunder ones I had been sitting on. I find I get much better rotation in my reaches with this combo, and I notice a benefit whenever picking something up.
Finally, I removed the sewn in tags that my hoody came with & stitched some Riptide tags in. Definately improved the wear.

Big love to any PALS still afflicted with gear madness. ;)
Good luck to you and anyone else not supergluing all the stitching right off the bat.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1321 on: June 30, 2022, 07:55:48 PM »
whats the quality of the prints on dlx hoodies?
i usually stick with embroidery for longevity purposes
but if an eagle graphic can handle some washes im down

This is a few years old.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1322 on: July 01, 2022, 01:18:00 AM »
@yourbreakfsat thanks for the pics, pretty good shape imo
antihero eagle with a lil bit of cracking *chefs kiss*

still gonna wait for the ben degros review tho ;)

@Frank and Fred i like hoodies of all shapes and sizes
obviously get more compliments when i wear a snug one
but i love drop shoulders, big hood, loose fit, xl sleeve
this is my all time favorite hoodie

no skate hoodies are ever coming out in this cut
but id definitely skate a blank in this silhouette if i could find one
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1323 on: July 01, 2022, 05:18:54 AM »
Instagram questions :

When would it make sense to post a reel instead of a classic post?

And would you post horizontal or vertical videos ?

I‘m late , I know.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #1324 on: July 01, 2022, 09:36:43 AM »
Instagram questions :

I‘m late , I know.
I'm no expert, but I think regular posts can only be up to a minute long, while reels can be way longer. I think the instagram algorithm also has reels show up differently on people's feeds. It definitely seems like reels get more traction than posts. Like I'll constantly get random suggested reels from ig skaters and trick tips or whatever. My guess is that people post reels more now so that they can get more views on them.

And I personally like horizontal videos more because you can see more of the skating and spot, but I think vertical videos are more common because they take up more room on your feed and phone. I think the idea is that since you have to scroll more to get past a vertical post, you're more likely to stop and check it out. All those suggested skate reels that pop up on my feed that I was talking about are always vertical. This one I'm more sure about since one of my exes was big on ig years ago for her art, and I remember her explaining some of this stuff to me.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1325 on: July 01, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Instagram questions :

I‘m late , I know.
[close]
I'm no expert, but I think regular posts can only be up to a minute long, while reels can be way longer. I think the instagram algorithm also has reels show up differently on people's feeds. It definitely seems like reels get more traction than posts. Like I'll constantly get random suggested reels from ig skaters and trick tips or whatever. My guess is that people post reels more now so that they can get more views on them.

And I personally like horizontal videos more because you can see more of the skating and spot, but I think vertical videos are more common because they take up more room on your feed and phone. I think the idea is that since you have to scroll more to get past a vertical post, you're more likely to stop and check it out. All those suggested skate reels that pop up on my feed that I was talking about are always vertical. This one I'm more sure about since one of my exes was big on ig years ago for her art, and I remember her explaining some of this stuff to me.

Thx! When I check for example the death lens Instagram they only post reels. Never knew there is something like „reels“ before

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #1326 on: July 01, 2022, 04:27:02 PM »
My understanding is that, as Instagram is feeling such heavy pressure from TikTok, their algorithm heavily weights towards Reels. They definitely seem to be doing everything in their power to discourage users from posting traditional photos and videos.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1327 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
IG really isn’t wort the time anymore. The only things I bother with on it now are the stories. They flood post ‘suggested posts’ or suggested users so much you can’t even find post from people you do actually follow. I’d completely ditch it but it’s how I keep in contact with people I skate with or people out of town.
Fuck Zuckerberg. He destroyed yet another platform.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1328 on: July 01, 2022, 10:33:09 PM »
IG really isn’t wort the time anymore. The only things I bother with on it now are the stories. They flood post ‘suggested posts’ or suggested users so much you can’t even find post from people you do actually follow. I’d completely ditch it but it’s how I keep in contact with people I skate with or people out of town.

This. I had to delete the app because of space on my memory, installed again a couple of days ago for chat purposes, can't believe how much reels and publicity the app push vs using from internet. I'm going to delete it again probably.

Back to the skate questions has anybody used the Ace rethreader? The kingpin one is what I need right now

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #1329 on: July 01, 2022, 11:42:18 PM »
Whats the widest fitting Slip-on? I got a wide foot so i only skate 306 lace ups. Vans skate, and 306 slips are too narrow.  Anyone have a review on the Wino or others? Thanks
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:54:06 PM by Fooj »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1330 on: July 02, 2022, 02:34:08 AM »
Whats the widest fitting Slip-on? I got a wide foot so i only skate 306 lace ups. Vans skate, and 306 slips are too narrow.  Anyone have a review on the Wino or others? Thanks
Soz don't know widest but got a mate with fat feet who gets the vans slip on pros and takes out the big insole and replaces it with a thin one.

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1331 on: July 02, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »

Winos are skinnier than Van's slip ons but winos also stretch out after awhile of wearing them

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1332 on: July 02, 2022, 12:38:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back to the skate questions has anybody used the Ace rethreader? The kingpin one is what I need right now
[close]

I recently used the Ace rethreader on the kingpin of some Indy Hollows. The nut didn't go on that easy before, after I used the rethreader the nut went on.. not as easy. So I am not sure the rethreader really helps with totaly destroyed threads on bolts. It seems to work for slightly damaged threads. I am curious to hear other opinions about it.
[close]
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1333 on: July 02, 2022, 03:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I recently used the Ace rethreader on the kingpin of some Indy Hollows. The nut didn't go on that easy before, after I used the rethreader the nut went on.. not as easy. So I am not sure the rethreader really helps with totaly destroyed threads on bolts. It seems to work for slightly damaged threads. I am curious to hear other opinions about it.

One of the hardest things is also getting all the extra metal from the nut or whatever out of the threads of the kingpins, so either half a turn on and quarter turn back with a shake, or get a really rough brush / metal option if possible, to brush out those other bits still stuck in there.

This helped a whole lot with people, especially with hollow kingpins, which seem to attract more of the other metal or have more issues with hollow kingpins - harder metal?!? and so often will mess up re-threaders if they are cheap, like the Ace versions.  I found that the solid tool version was a whole lot better, as per post below, but the simple nut rethreaders can also work well enough.

Without having to go right into the posts, they are available from tool shops and online, UNF24 or NF24 3/8" rethreader.

Kingpin rethreader 3/8 UNF 24 / NF 24
Axle rethreader 5/16 UNF 24 / NF 24

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1334 on: July 03, 2022, 01:14:36 AM »
I’ve used the Ace kingpin rethreader successfully on two kingpins. Wasn’t easy to get it aligned but in the end I did manage the rethread both kingpins successfully so I could get a normal nut back on and very easily.

I gave one of the axle rethreaders to a dude at the indoor skate park last winter as he had fucked up axles and couldn’t get the nut on on one of them. He managed to fix that and then decided to do all the others also as preventative maintenance and managed to fuck two up so that the nut wouldn’t hold anymore. In the end he went and got new trucks because of this.

So, yes, they can work but you have to be careful with them as they can be a bit difficult to use and you can fuck things up with them.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1335 on: July 03, 2022, 04:22:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Winos are skinnier than Van's slip ons but winos also stretch out after awhile of wearing them

I completely disagree. Wino G6 slip on (vulc) is noticeably wider than Vans Skate slip on/slip on pro. They are roomier than Vans and probably a tiny bit roomier than 306 slip. That said, I've not skated them but they're pretty comfy for a slip on.
Super Champion Fun Zone

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1336 on: July 03, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »

What’s the next thing then?
Serious question. TikTok?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1337 on: July 03, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »
You’re asking the wrong person. I’m old and out of touch.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1338 on: July 03, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »
What’s the next thing then?
Serious question. TikTok?
I dunno, but I’m so bored with this algorithm thing that I may give actual skateboarding a try, for a change. ::)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #1339 on: July 03, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »
Why do my feet hurt lately when I skate?  I'm assuming it's the NB 288s I've been wearing recently, but what would be causing the foot pain?  I never got foot pain skating Vans, but Vans aren't really comfortable.  Maybe nice comfortable shoes are too soft and I'm using my foot muscles more? 

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
« Reply #1340 on: July 03, 2022, 07:44:32 PM »
Instagram questions :

I‘m late , I know.

Reels get the most traction. Post videos vertical because it fills the frame and looks better on your bio page. Don’t forget to edit the cover so it looks interesting enough to click on if someone sees it on their explore page. No more than 3-5 hashtags now or it will get buried in the algorithm. Three posts a week to keep audience engagement but over saturation is treated like spam by the algorithm now. Until everything changes again of course.

Edit: Sorry if too much info, I was a Social Media Manager for a woodshop for a while.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:29:22 AM by Richard Skidder »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1341 on: July 03, 2022, 07:49:30 PM »
Why do my feet hurt lately when I skate?  I'm assuming it's the NB 288s I've been wearing recently, but what would be causing the foot pain?  I never got foot pain skating Vans, but Vans aren't really comfortable.  Maybe nice comfortable shoes are too soft and I'm using my foot muscles more? 

Thin insoles on the NB? The Vans Pop Cush insoles are liked by most.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #1342 on: July 03, 2022, 08:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I suppose these are pretty thin.  Guess I'll just keep some Vans on hand to skate

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1343 on: July 03, 2022, 09:41:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I suppose these are pretty thin.  Guess I'll just keep some Vans on hand to skate

Or keep the insoles from old Vans, stick them in the NB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1344 on: July 04, 2022, 02:32:22 PM »
Skate shop owners / slap pals who work at skate shops: how much are purchasing your wholesale decks for these days? We're speaking with some shops and understand that the range is between $30-$44 but curious to hear from the community to make sure i'm still up to date with pricing. Thanks!

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
« Reply #1345 on: July 04, 2022, 03:56:01 PM »
Price points around $25 give or take. Pro decks between $38 and $42

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1346 on: July 04, 2022, 08:10:04 PM »
How do you stop being a legend? I’m really tired of hearing about it.

It’s always the negative shit. I am not really made of Teflon
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1347 on: July 04, 2022, 08:44:49 PM »
How do you stop being a legend? I’m really tired of hearing about it.

It’s always the negative shit. I am not really made of Teflon

In response to your question I’ll ask some questions:

How are switch tre’s? I haven’t given up hope, but…that’s only because I’m romantic, my attempts are not in good faith, definitely posing them.
I know you ride the v, when was the last time you skated lo’s?

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1348 on: July 07, 2022, 04:51:43 AM »
Is dwindle wood measured straight across like bbs, or flat like ps stix?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #1349 on: July 07, 2022, 05:08:31 AM »

They really seem hellbent on killing the goose that laid the golden egg
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021