Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209524 times)

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2010 on: November 14, 2022, 11:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm kinda curious why my 149 indys have the extra bolt pattern in them when I've heard they're only only 159s and up. Granted I got them like 4 years ago, but I can't find any similar ones anywhere now. Probably a big nothing burger but yeah just curious. I definitely see why they changed the pattern cause I've almost noselid right through the extra drilled holes.
[close]
A) are they definatly 149s b) are they first hand c) is there any chance you swapped the baseplate and forgot d) is there a chance they are fakes

Well, I have a pair of 139's and they are definitely bigger than those. They are first-hand. I never switch around truck parts like that. I highly doubt they are fake but I did buy them from Zumiez online (I'm sorry they were at least $30 less than buying at the local shop) with some crappy bones 100's 55mm like 4 years ago when I first was trying to make my comeback and got a cheap 8.5 consolidated board. I wanted to try a bigger transition-style setup without breaking the bank and the board was like $60 Canadian from the local shop which is almost unheard of here.

They fit my 8.5 normally and at certain angles, you can see the wheels and axle nut just poking out on my 8.375 currently. But if you look straight down it looks fine. 159's on a 8.375 would be pretty obvious I think but who knows... I have pretty poor eyesight and all my glasses are currently broken lol...

Not sure if the pics will even help but yeah. Also not sure what's going on but my wheels/axles look kind of fucked in the full board shot like they're bent or crooked or something.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 11:53:15 PM by Steely Daniel »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2011 on: November 15, 2022, 01:22:03 AM »
Don’t Indys have markings in the hanger somewhere for the width? I remember it being something like:
109: I
129: II
139: III
144: IIII
149: IV
159: V
169: VI
215: VII

You could check if they have that. I suspect you’ll find a V there and those are 159s. Or you could also measure them if you have a tape measure or a ruler.  :)

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2012 on: November 15, 2022, 04:25:16 AM »
maybe they swapped the baseplates at the store for some reason

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2013 on: November 15, 2022, 08:11:08 AM »
I could have sworn I measured them at 8.5 inches across the axle but now that I think about it that was the 139's that I measured since I couldn't remember what size they were. I guess they gave me the wrong trucks when I ordered 149's and I just never noticed cause they are 8.75 inches wide after I just measured. Guess I gotta get some 149's for real now. Disregard everything I am stupid lol. I'm not sure how they don't look and feel totally fucked on that smaller board but I kinda like them. Maybe I could learn some more fip tricks with 144-149s though...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2014 on: November 15, 2022, 11:13:24 AM »
All my Indys have the actual hanger width stamped on the underside of the hanger. I just looked at my pair of 144Ti and they say that on there. My 149s say 149.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2015 on: November 15, 2022, 11:25:47 AM »
All my Indys have the actual hanger width stamped on the underside of the hanger. I just looked at my pair of 144Ti and they say that on there. My 149s say 149.

I think this is a relatively new change.  My 159 hollows from 2015ish dont have this

IpathCats

« Reply #2016 on: November 15, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think this is a relatively new change.  My 159 hollows from 2015ish dont have this

It is. sometime in the last 4 years or so? @Xen probably knows

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2017 on: November 15, 2022, 12:04:46 PM »
I'm kinda curious why my 149 indys have the extra bolt pattern in them when I've heard they're only only 159s and up. Granted I got them like 4 years ago, but I can't find any similar ones anywhere now. Probably a big nothing burger but yeah just curious. I definitely see why they changed the pattern cause I've almost noselid right through the extra drilled holes.

It's usually something banal like the factory ran out of the 4-hole baseplates and just swapped in the 6-hole for a day until someone dropped off more 4-hole versions.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2018 on: November 15, 2022, 02:05:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No idea when the change happened, but I've pair of 144 TI with nothing but 'titanium' screened under the wing and some 159 forged hollows with nothing); no raised text near the axle at all. The 144s are def a 2-3yrs old tho. I've some 149 Ti from '20 that have the hanger text.

Regardless of when it happened, there is still old stock out there.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2019 on: November 15, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »
I could have sworn I measured them at 8.5 inches across the axle but now that I think about it that was the 139's that I measured since I couldn't remember what size they were. I guess they gave me the wrong trucks when I ordered 149's and I just never noticed cause they are 8.75 inches wide after I just measured. Guess I gotta get some 149's for real now. Disregard everything I am stupid lol. I'm not sure how they don't look and feel totally fucked on that smaller board but I kinda like them. Maybe I could learn some more fip tricks with 144-149s though...
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No idea when the change happened, but I've pair of 144 TI with nothing but 'titanium' screened under the wing and some 159 forged hollows with nothing); no raised text near the axle at all. The 144s are def a 2-3yrs old tho. I've some 149 Ti from '20 that have the hanger text.

Regardless of when it happened, there is still old stock out there.

Re Indy truck variations:

I think the Indy size number on the end of the hanger started around 2019 - 2020 as that is when I have the first set with them on from some old posts / pics and the cross removed coming into 2021, but as said they did have the roman numeral in the hanger yoke.  It is just no one really checked there much unless you took the hanger off or knew exactly where to look.

To add to that, USA stopped being printed under the baseplate in 2018 and manufacturing with "Made in China" only appeared on the hang tag from late 2019, early 2020, so it was around the time of the change over that the number started to appear on the hangers.

Re 149s or 159s:

To be fair, I know a lot of people who always rode 159s on anything from 8.5 up and people like Peter Hewitt (Antihero, Indy, etc) swears by the 159 on 8.38 combo for his boards, so that in itself is not a big deal.

If the trucks fit the board comfortably for you and you are happy with them, there is no need to suddenly change things out, unless you did want to have a different setup.

The funniest thing with the 149 / 159 trucks is the video of Evan Smith Independent promo video where he has one of each but doesn't know it, but says he loves his 149s or something.

The set of his trucks that came through someone at Florida - Tampa comp or something when he burnt his board and then tossed it - were both 159s, which he rode on his 8.5 setup with Spitfire 101 53mm Lock ins, so yeah others do it too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2020 on: November 15, 2022, 05:49:28 PM »
Yeah, probably when they moved manu to China, new foundry/factory, new molds.

My non-stamped 144 ti are from april '19
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:36:58 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2021 on: November 16, 2022, 02:04:29 AM »
Planning on getting some 1010s, WearTested says they run half size big, others have said they are TTS. I've got a wide foot, US 9.5 fits well for DC / eS / NB for me. Stick with 9.5 or go 0.5 size down?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2022 on: November 16, 2022, 06:53:55 AM »
Go to the NB thread and search. Personally I go TTS. I've tried half size down but my toes hit the end and feel a bit constrictednin the front. I have a low volume wide foot so I have to tighten them a bit more (not super cranked tho), but find that to be perfect. I also wear my normal size in 440 and tried half size down in 272. 508 I almost wanted a half size up.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #2023 on: November 16, 2022, 07:45:30 AM »
When someone mentions the brand Pizza, What is the first thing that comes to mind?
For me its the odd taste/zest of pizza pringles. Taste nothing like pizza.  Does anyone else associate other brands with random things?

I'm having kombucha withdraws bare with me. lol

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #2024 on: November 16, 2022, 08:05:49 AM »
are tactics shop boards any good? Does anybody have experience with them? they are usually cheaper than brand-name decks so I was wondering.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2025 on: November 16, 2022, 02:05:56 PM »
are tactics shop boards any good? Does anybody have experience with them? they are usually cheaper than brand-name decks so I was wondering.

Tactics are 100% BBS / Generator, so for those who like them, it is always good quality and something I can rely on (given I like the wood, concave, life of the boards), but if you are not so much a fan of BBS concave or shapes or whatever, then there are other shop boards on other woodshops that might be a better preference.

I never presume to know what anyone specifically likes, or to tell them what they should or should not like, but the list of BBS brands is extensive to say the least and many people like them.

As far as how much boards cost, with anything that is a company big or small, you are paying for someone to have a brand, a team, a marketing and promo budget, supporting skateboarders, etc.

If you just want the cheapest deck you can find, all good and well, go with a blank or shop board, but if you are stoked on someone or whatever, that is usually when people who can afford it will pay more for what might be almost the same deck, or out of the same woodshop, with some pretty paint that is going to cost a lot more.

Again the choice is yours, but this is another regular conversation in skate shops that some people may not be quite so aware of.

Sorry if that sounded preachy - didn't mean it to be.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2026 on: November 16, 2022, 08:38:02 PM »
Don’t Indys have markings in the hanger somewhere for the width? I remember it being something like:
109: I
129: II
139: III
144: IIII
149: IV
159: V
169: VI
215: VII

You could check if they have that. I suspect you’ll find a V there and those are 159s. Or you could also measure them if you have a tape measure or a ruler.  :)

Lol this gets even funnier. I was taking apart my now confirmed 159 front truck since the pivot cup was broken and the hanger was wiggling around a bit feeling weird.

They both do have a V stamped by the top bushing maybe 1/4 inch below the axle notch thing btw so thanks for that.

Anyway I decided to just swap out baseplates because this gnarled up one is all bent by the extra holes and doesn't sit flat/was gouging a chunk into the board. Also feels like the pivot cup metal is almost bent into an oval or deformed shape. After taking off the hanger on my front truck from my 139s I noticed an IV printed on it. Got kinda stoked thinking I can try 149s on this setup until I look at the second truck and it's III...  My dad bought these for me 10+ years ago at a mall shop so some dumbass gave him two different trucks lol. Moral of the story always support your local shop or at the very least measure your damn trucks before you go off the deep end into madness.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2027 on: November 17, 2022, 02:15:16 AM »
have a gnar
it seems you have something going with trucks sizes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2028 on: November 17, 2022, 03:36:04 AM »

Lol this gets even funnier. I was taking apart my now confirmed 159 front truck since the pivot cup was broken and the hanger was wiggling around a bit feeling weird.

They both do have a V stamped by the top bushing maybe 1/4 inch below the axle notch thing btw so thanks for that.

Anyway I decided to just swap out baseplates because this gnarled up one is all bent by the extra holes and doesn't sit flat/was gouging a chunk into the board. Also feels like the pivot cup metal is almost bent into an oval or deformed shape. After taking off the hanger on my front truck from my 139s I noticed an IV printed on it. Got kinda stoked thinking I can try 149s on this setup until I look at the second truck and it's III...  My dad bought these for me 10+ years ago at a mall shop so some dumbass gave him two different trucks lol. Moral of the story always support your local shop or at the very least measure your damn trucks before you go off the deep end into madness.

Yeah that is the most annoying thing I think I have ever seen, coming from a twenty plus year shop perspective, when someone somewhere mixes up trucks so people get two different sizes.

There are some shops I know here in AU that do sell individual trucks and others like my spare parts section that I will take apart the team Thunder / standard Indy / plain trucks if or when people need one part, or if someone in your situation needs to swap out something like your 139 you might not want for a used 149 to make the set, as well as some other baseplates, if needed too - Australia only for me though.

Apart from that someone more local might have something to trade or sell you, even just one 149 hanger, if that is what you need, either on here or even have a chat to someone at your local shop.  There is often a bucket of spare parts under a counter which may be an option too.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2029 on: November 17, 2022, 05:55:11 AM »
Why can’t absolutely most skaters Film skating for sh**?

Sorry, but this frustrates me right now.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2030 on: November 17, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »

Everyone's too nice and shittily filming tricks is seen as good now. Filming used to be kinda stressful if you picked up the camera you knew you had a job to do (capture the trick as well as can be done) and if you fucked it up your crew would murder you. Now everyone pats everyone on the back for managing to get the skater in the shot for a tenth of a second and doubles down by saying zooming makes it exciting.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2031 on: November 17, 2022, 11:02:00 AM »

I have a few buddies I trust to film clips/shoot photos, but I still work it out with them on how it should look. Sometimes it seems like people have never seen a skate video before. People aren’t born with the technical skill, the artistic eye, or the ability to combine both. It’s a skill that takes time develop. If you’re not doing it often you wont have learned from the mistakes that make clips look bad because you’re still in that first phase

Question for people who rotate shoes/skate multiple pairs in any given time: what are the benefits to not sticking to the same pair every session?
I’m a lifelong skate only one pair of shoes kind of skater, but because I have little impulse control I might have to start dabbling with rotating
fuck you bama

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2032 on: November 17, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »
^you get to wear what you feel like whenever you want and might be happier. Rotating shoes also allows the shoe to dry out more so less smelly and potential for bacteria etc. Might also give time for the sole/insole to decompress a bit but that's probably more of a running shoe thing.
I find tho if I skate a shoe for a bit and then put it aside the chances of me coming back to that shoe are pretty slim.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 464
« Reply #2033 on: November 17, 2022, 12:19:25 PM »
I rotate footwear based on my needs at the time.
Vulc lows for the good days
Mids for the bum ankle days
Cup for the my feet are killing me days

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2034 on: November 18, 2022, 12:49:32 AM »

I rarely rotate when I'm actually skating but if I do it, I do my best to keep it within the same brand or similar silhouette. I rotate Marana and Joslin or two different colors of either model to skate two pairs at once since they use the same sole. Right now I'm doing 2 pairs of KSL G6 to break them both in.

I can't rotate between a cup and a vulc comfortably, but I have done it in the past. If the two shoes are too different in feel my sessions are shit just from readjusting/finding the flick.

I'll wear  different chill shoes and switch to skate shoes for the sessions if that's also what you meant by rotating.
Super Champion Fun Zone

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2035 on: November 18, 2022, 08:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rarely rotate when I'm actually skating but if I do it, I do my best to keep it within the same brand or similar silhouette. I rotate Marana and Joslin or two different colors of either model to skate two pairs at once since they use the same sole. Right now I'm doing 2 pairs of KSL G6 to break them both in.

I can't rotate between a cup and a vulc comfortably, but I have done it in the past. If the two shoes are too different in feel my sessions are shit just from readjusting/finding the flick.

I'll wear  different chill shoes and switch to skate shoes for the sessions if that's also what you meant by rotating.

Yeah this is the way. I have a ton of Last Resorts so I can just skate whichever versions I'm wearing.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2036 on: November 18, 2022, 12:28:10 PM »

Ask my water bottle….

eSK3

« Reply #2037 on: November 18, 2022, 12:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have a few buddies I trust to film clips/shoot photos, but I still work it out with them on how it should look. Sometimes it seems like people have never seen a skate video before. People aren’t born with the technical skill, the artistic eye, or the ability to combine both. It’s a skill that takes time develop. If you’re not doing it often you wont have learned from the mistakes that make clips look bad because you’re still in that first phase

Question for people who rotate shoes/skate multiple pairs in any given time: what are the benefits to not sticking to the same pair every session?
I’m a lifelong skate only one pair of shoes kind of skater, but because I have little impulse control I might have to start dabbling with rotating

The biggest benefit is your shoes don’t look like ass as quickly.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2038 on: November 18, 2022, 12:57:02 PM »
What happens to the geometry of Ace if I run them on an Stage 11 Indy baseplate? Specifically, how is the turn compared to straight Ace? Are they gonna be 55mm tall? How about the overall wheelbase? Does it stay at the Indy 3" or move to the Ace 2.75? Can't seem to find Ace AF1 66 hollows anywhere and was thinking of making some frankentrucks to tide me over out of a set of of Classic 55s and some purple hollow Indy baseplates that I got on sale but have never used.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #2039 on: November 18, 2022, 03:41:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The biggest benefit is your shoes don’t look like ass as quickly.