Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 201889 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2040 on: November 18, 2022, 11:37:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why can’t absolutely most skaters Film skating for sh**?

Sorry, but this frustrates me right now.
[close]
I have a few buddies I trust to film clips/shoot photos, but I still work it out with them on how it should look. Sometimes it seems like people have never seen a skate video before. People aren’t born with the technical skill, the artistic eye, or the ability to combine both. It’s a skill that takes time develop. If you’re not doing it often you wont have learned from the mistakes that make clips look bad because you’re still in that first phase

Question for people who rotate shoes/skate multiple pairs in any given time: what are the benefits to not sticking to the same pair every session?
I’m a lifelong skate only one pair of shoes kind of skater, but because I have little impulse control I might have to start dabbling with rotating
[close]

The biggest benefit is your shoes don’t look like ass as quickly.
[close]

But then at some point you’ll have a bunch of ass looking shoes for a long time.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2041 on: November 19, 2022, 01:11:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I have a few buddies I trust to film clips/shoot photos, but I still work it out with them on how it should look. Sometimes it seems like people have never seen a skate video before. People aren’t born with the technical skill, the artistic eye, or the ability to combine both. It’s a skill that takes time develop. If you’re not doing it often you wont have learned from the mistakes that make clips look bad because you’re still in that first phase

Question for people who rotate shoes/skate multiple pairs in any given time: what are the benefits to not sticking to the same pair every session?
I’m a lifelong skate only one pair of shoes kind of skater, but because I have little impulse control I might have to start dabbling with rotating
[close]

[close]
[close]

But then at some point you’ll have a bunch of ass looking shoes for a long time.

Gnar‘d, came here to post this lol.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2042 on: November 19, 2022, 02:09:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

That's the sign to visit the Sales Thread to pick up 5 pairs of the same shoe to last you throughout 2023
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2043 on: November 19, 2022, 02:29:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

That's the sign to visit the Sales Thread to pick up 5 pairs of the same shoe to last you throughout 2023
Is this something anyone (else) actually does? I hate that I can't just buy a pair of shoes. I see a model I think look good then have to pick out 3-6 colours of it. Then get around to wearing 2 lol

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2044 on: November 19, 2022, 04:40:10 AM »
Thinking about finally getting on YouTube and Instagram; are hashtags needed for getting the videos out?

Are you using hashtags? Are they irrelevant in 2022?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2045 on: November 19, 2022, 06:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Is this something anyone (else) actually does? I hate that I can't just buy a pair of shoes. I see a model I think look good then have to pick out 3-6 colours of it. Then get around to wearing 2 lol

There is an all white shoe I really like right now that a specific mail order company has for nearly half off. I've got 1 pair breaking in and 2 in the closet and I might get more. I like basic staple colors nothing super flashy, so it's a good strategy.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2046 on: November 19, 2022, 12:23:19 PM »
The answer is probably in one thread but ive been waiting in the cold for 2 hrs so my kids can see santa and cant be arsed to hunt through..
Does running risers alter your truck wheelbase?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2047 on: November 19, 2022, 12:25:46 PM »
The answer is probably in one thread but ive been waiting in the cold for 2 hrs so my kids can see santa and cant be arsed to hunt through..
Does running risers alter your truck wheelbase?

No but it does make your pop angle steeper. Which will somewhat affect how tricks feel

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2048 on: November 19, 2022, 12:26:54 PM »
Thanks mate

komorebian

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2049 on: November 19, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I skate a couple pairs of the same shoe at the same time and find a bunch of benefits. Mix it up with the outfit. They do last a little bit longer overall, guessing this is cause the shoes to dry out and they keep their shape better if they are skated every second day. Shoes, feet and socks are in better shape and smell.

Once they be “ass looking” they get used for solo flat ground sessions to finish them off. At the same time a new set finds it’s way into rotation. Skate LR VM001 lows and highs pretty consistently at the moment, so they all feel the same. I wouldn’t switch between different model shoes.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2050 on: November 19, 2022, 12:48:11 PM »
Planning on getting some 1010s, WearTested says they run half size big, others have said they are TTS. I've got a wide foot, US 9.5 fits well for DC / eS / NB for me. Stick with 9.5 or go 0.5 size down?

I typically wear a 9 and my 1010s are 9 and they fit just fine.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #2051 on: November 19, 2022, 12:51:43 PM »
Does anyone has a Polar Jacket? Is it worth the money? How does it fit? I'm in between sizes and don't wanna order it twice because it's getting cold soon. Thanks!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2052 on: November 19, 2022, 01:40:47 PM »
anyone redrill their board by 1/4” (+/-) and have any issues?
is wood filler a good idea to add strength?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2053 on: November 19, 2022, 03:15:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

If I find something that fits well, I will hunt down any and every sale for that shoe and if they are on a really good sale, I will buy them all, when and where possible, usually more so just in the plain (black/white) but often in simple colours too.

Then I have cartons, 12 plus pairs in each, many that don't get worn cause I go back to the plain colours anyway.

At least people I know who are the same size shoe as me benefit from it, so it all works out well enough there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2054 on: November 19, 2022, 08:44:48 PM »
Planning on getting some 1010s, WearTested says they run half size big, others have said they are TTS. I've got a wide foot, US 9.5 fits well for DC / eS / NB for me. Stick with 9.5 or go 0.5 size down?

I know some others responded. I may confuse you more than help but most NB# run 0.5 small for me. I'm am 11 in most shoes but needed an 11.5 in 1010, 440, 533v2, 358 (Arto), and the 255 at least. I also 0.5 up in DC cups that aren't OG (Lynx or Kalis OG). I also wear 11.5 in a handful of soletech cups (Veer, Silo SC, Quattro, Marana, Joslin 1 & 2, MC Rap High). That's why I needed an 11.5.

They're more of a TTS shoe rather than 0.5 small or 0.5 down. Go with the size you commonly wear in other modern cups is my best recommendation if you can't try in store.
Super Champion Fun Zone

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2055 on: November 20, 2022, 04:59:38 AM »
When will there be drones that can follow skaters around filming them from not too far away and not beeing so noisy so we have good audio too?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2056 on: November 20, 2022, 05:17:48 AM »
One of my axles nuts fell off yesterday. I rethreaded the axle and put on a new nut but it came loose as well. I put on another nut and it seems to hold for now but I wondered if I have threaded the axle too often. Also if this continues what to do?
why come?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2057 on: November 20, 2022, 05:38:51 AM »
Are DC's fitting normal or small these days? Got a bunch of older ones and it's 50/50 if they fit or are too small. Specifically pure mid if possible

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #2058 on: November 20, 2022, 06:33:00 AM »
I wear a size 11 shoe and don't flip my board. Is 8.18 too small?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #2059 on: November 20, 2022, 07:36:22 AM »
One of my axles nuts fell off yesterday. I rethreaded the axle and put on a new nut but it came loose as well. I put on another nut and it seems to hold for now but I wondered if I have threaded the axle too often. Also if this continues what to do?
Loctite blue should fix this.
If not, buy a new truck, safety first.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #2060 on: November 20, 2022, 07:45:36 AM »
I was wondering..
I'm back at snapping boards in 2-3 Sessions.
I went back from the new royals to Indy forged.
All three boards since then snapped on the inner bolts of the nose/tail.
Hadn't this problem with the royals.
So.. is the shape of the forged Indy plates somehow more prone to snapping decks somehow ?
I already checked for sharp edges and rounded them a bit with sandpaper. Yesterday I snapped a new board on a switch fs shuvit on flat..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2061 on: November 20, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »
If you want to skate an 8.18, go for it. No skate police is gonna pull up and take you to skate jail because you are on an 8.18. I have size 11 feet and skate an 8 sometimes and it’s fine.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2062 on: November 20, 2022, 08:36:14 AM »
2 Anti Hero questions:

1. When did the Eagle series as a whole first come out? I remember occasionally seeing a black  and maybe a blue one as a kid, but not in the modern sizes.

2. When did the brand become so revered? I grew up in the SF Bay but only remember seeing a Gerwer deck in a shop. I only saw a few people at bowl centric parks on them pre Tony T. Maybe I was just too focused on Pier 7/3rd and Army and missed another contingent of Bay Area street skating?

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #2063 on: November 20, 2022, 08:38:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you want to skate an 8.18, go for it. No skate police is gonna pull up and take you to skate jail because you are on an 8.18. I have size 11 feet and skate an 8 sometimes and it’s fine.

"Size Board you riding there, big guy??"

Kidding aside, I just mean I've been riding big ass shaped boards forever and I'm like "will this look tiny and stupid?"

But also I'm 40 and fat so whatever.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:47:02 AM by Bo Turners Masonic Fish »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2064 on: November 20, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Kidding aside, I just mean I've been riding big ass shaped boards forever and I'm like "will this look tiny and stupid?"

I’ve been skating boards 8.25-8.5” for a long time, last summer I decided to try 8” board with low trucks and 50mm wheels because I did my prime with that so I though I’ll be nollie heelflippin into slides in no time. Man that thing sucked, I felt I have no pop at all and I felt it was hard to land anything on that and I have size 8 feet lol. I’m not that fat but I’ll be 40 in few months ;D
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2065 on: November 20, 2022, 10:08:12 AM »

The hardened steel threads on the truck are wrecked. You can try red Loctite and a decently long cure time, but unfortunately I think what you really need are new trucks.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2066 on: November 20, 2022, 10:13:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

When I got back into skateboarding a few years ago, I bought a big shaped board because they looked cool and that's what I thought 30-something skaters were supposed to do. It was fine, I could make it work, but it was never for me. Now I'm 42 and back on a standard 8" popsicle and I'm overall a better skater than at any other time in my life, even if I am no longer going to be jumping down sets of stairs or large gaps.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2067 on: November 20, 2022, 10:19:46 AM »
Are DC's fitting normal or small these days? Got a bunch of older ones and it's 50/50 if they fit or are too small. Specifically pure mid if possible

The DC pure from years ago and recently fit 0.5 small. That one uses a last that runs 0.5 small like other models: Penza, Maswell, Kalis S, Cure, Manteca.

Other DCs like their vulcs or Kalis OG or Lynx OG fit true though. DC is weird with certain categories of cups fitting small. Kinda like NB#
Super Champion Fun Zone

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2068 on: November 20, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »

What are you skating? Since you don't care about flipping, I'd say a bigger board could definitely benefit you. That's pretty much the only thing small boards are beneficial for. Just try an 8.5 and feel it out.

But there's also no reason not to skate the 8.18 if it feels right for you. Never forget, 90s people with huge feet used to skate 7.5s.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2069 on: November 20, 2022, 10:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The hardened steel threads on the truck are wrecked. You can try red Loctite and a decently long cure time, but unfortunately I think what you really need are new trucks.

D‘oh, I just hit the axle and wanted to find out if I could grind through the hollow axle. I‘ll get some loctite tomorrow.
why come?