Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202074 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2070 on: November 20, 2022, 10:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Are DC's fitting normal or small these days? Got a bunch of older ones and it's 50/50 if they fit or are too small. Specifically pure mid if possible
[close]

The DC pure from years ago and recently fit 0.5 small. That one uses a last that runs 0.5 small like other models: Penza, Maswell, Kalis S, Cure, Manteca.

Other DCs like their vulcs or Kalis OG or Lynx OG fit true though. DC is weird with certain categories of cups fitting small. Kinda like NB#
Thanks mate. Yeah DC are weird like I said I have a bunch of pairs and half fit and half are too small. Even pairs of the same shoes in different colours the colorways fit differently. Or pairs I had and liked so got again and they are crazy tight.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2071 on: November 20, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One of my axles nuts fell off yesterday. I rethreaded the axle and put on a new nut but it came loose as well. I put on another nut and it seems to hold for now but I wondered if I have threaded the axle too often. Also if this continues what to do?
[close]

The hardened steel threads on the truck are wrecked. You can try red Loctite and a decently long cure time, but unfortunately I think what you really need are new trucks.
[close]

D‘oh, I just hit the axle and wanted to find out if I could grind through the hollow axle. I‘ll get some loctite tomorrow.

As someone currently on the same mission, buckle in. Takes forever….

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2072 on: November 20, 2022, 11:16:56 AM »
2 Anti Hero questions:

1. When did the Eagle series as a whole first come out? I remember occasionally seeing a black  and maybe a blue one as a kid, but not in the modern sizes.

2. When did the brand become so revered? I grew up in the SF Bay but only remember seeing a Gerwer deck in a shop. I only saw a few people at bowl centric parks on them pre Tony T. Maybe I was just too focused on Pier 7/3rd and Army and missed another contingent of Bay Area street skating?

Quoting this because I'm also a interested in this, especially the second question. As a kid I thought Anti Hero was a brand more or less like any other. Coming back into skating many people regard it as one of the apex companies. How did that happen? I'm not hating on it, just curious.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2073 on: November 20, 2022, 11:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
One of my axles nuts fell off yesterday. I rethreaded the axle and put on a new nut but it came loose as well. I put on another nut and it seems to hold for now but I wondered if I have threaded the axle too often. Also if this continues what to do?
[close]

The hardened steel threads on the truck are wrecked. You can try red Loctite and a decently long cure time, but unfortunately I think what you really need are new trucks.
[close]

D‘oh, I just hit the axle and wanted to find out if I could grind through the hollow axle. I‘ll get some loctite tomorrow.
[close]

As someone currently on the same mission, buckle in. Takes forever….

I abandoned these axled trucks after the threads on the axle got bungled.

upload image
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2074 on: November 20, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
Expand Quote
2 Anti Hero questions:

1. When did the Eagle series as a whole first come out? I remember occasionally seeing a black  and maybe a blue one as a kid, but not in the modern sizes.

2. When did the brand become so revered? I grew up in the SF Bay but only remember seeing a Gerwer deck in a shop. I only saw a few people at bowl centric parks on them pre Tony T. Maybe I was just too focused on Pier 7/3rd and Army and missed another contingent of Bay Area street skating?
[close]

Quoting this because I'm also a interested in this, especially the second question. As a kid I thought Anti Hero was a brand more or less like any other. Coming back into skating many people regard it as one of the apex companies. How did that happen? I'm not hating on it, just curious.

You'll notice that this is true for most of the DLX brands, and I don't think it's a coincidence that DLX more or less runs the skateboard industry. But for Antihero specifically, their team has always been stacked with some of the heaviest riders in the history of skateboarding and many of their videos, instead of being assembled from clips filmed over the course of a year or two, were ~45 minute tour videos, where you spend two weeks travelling throughout some corner of the world with these guys as they skate massive pipes or crusty backyard ramps. They found an excellent little niche which they've been able to grow over time, and it has stayed a much more coherent brand that most other companies who cropped up around the same time, even the ones which are still going.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #2075 on: November 20, 2022, 11:45:49 AM »
Does anyone has a Polar Jacket? Is it worth the money? How does it fit? I'm in between sizes and don't wanna order it twice because it's getting cold soon. Thanks!

I find polar a size smaller than other brands. Like the L hoodie is more like an M in passport/Adidas/etnies/Huf. Like more slim fitting. Mind I'm old and never really got out of the baggy stage. I've got two polar hoodies in L but ordered an XL jacket.

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #2076 on: November 20, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »
Expand Quote
I wear a size 11 shoe and don't flip my board. Is 8.18 too small?
[close]

What are you skating? Since you don't care about flipping, I'd say a bigger board could definitely benefit you. That's pretty much the only thing small boards are beneficial for. Just try an 8.5 and feel it out.

But there's also no reason not to skate the 8.18 if it feels right for you. Never forget, 90s people with huge feet used to skate 7.5s.

Thanks guys. I just want to buy cheap boards from the Hockey sale that I found out about too late.

To answer the Q above I skate pretty much all curbs, flat, mellow transitions. I learned slappies and shit on a 7.75" with low trucks so I'm not concerned about the functionality so much as I am looking silly on a smaller board. Which I shouldn't be worrying about in the first place.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2077 on: November 20, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2 Anti Hero questions:

[close]

[close]

You'll notice that this is true for most of the DLX brands, and I don't think it's a coincidence that DLX more or less runs the skateboard industry. But for Antihero specifically, their team has always been stacked with some of the heaviest riders in the history of skateboarding and many of their videos, instead of being assembled from clips filmed over the course of a year or two, were ~45 minute tour videos, where you spend two weeks travelling throughout some corner of the world with these guys as they skate massive pipes or crusty backyard ramps. They found an excellent little niche which they've been able to grow over time, and it has stayed a much more coherent brand that most other companies who cropped up around the same time, even the ones which are still going.

Although the eagle graphic was the first one done for AH by Todd Francis pretty much the same time as the company started around 1995, I think it wasn't until about 2001 or so that they had a few different options for those boards, as per a paper DLX catalog I still have from that time.  It was a toss up between the eagle and the pigeon for the main graphic at one point, but both have their place in AH graphics.  Check out his instagram for some good pics / info:

https://www.instagram.com/toddfrancisart/

The eagle range didn't really firm up until a few years later, with maybe 2010 being one of the first years to have multiple eagles on different back colours for different sizes (also going by some more old DLX catalogs) but I don't have anywhere near the full lot of this sort of stuff, so could be very wrong.  Even 2016 or so there were still only half of the options that there are / were around 2020, with ten options, 7.3 yellowish, 7.81 light green, 8.0 olive green, 8.12 black, 8.25 grey, 8.38 dark green, 8.5 dark blue, 8.62 cream, 8.75 white, 9.0 orange in popsicles anyway, plus the shaped eagles - another five or more - raw / natural, black stain, blue meanie, orange crush, green giant, etc.  Then the huffer eagle, the beach bum eagle...  I should just stop.

As to the brand itself, as said, solid videos, rad team, definitely more relatable and of interest to more people I knew that weren't so into tech skating and more into "fun/gnar" skating, if that is even a term, as well as tours that came through and whipped people into a brand frenzy - Tent City 2003 - was almost the main driving factor for so many people I know to get into the AH way of life.

Edit:

Went looking as I knew it was in there somewhere:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLr2kBvBpwp/

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:28:30 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2078 on: November 20, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »
Are DC's fitting normal or small these days? Got a bunch of older ones and it's 50/50 if they fit or are too small. Specifically pure mid if possible

For me, a whole size too small. Over the last few years I made three impulse purchases when I found some DC's on sale. all of them were so small that I had to sell them. Size up.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2079 on: November 20, 2022, 03:59:41 PM »
The Anti Hero history makes sense. I was not at all interested in transition at that time and once saw Andy Roy smoking meth at the Ripon skatepark and always associate that with the brand even tho that's not fair. I wasn't around when they added Andrew Allen and branched out a bit style wise and did lots of tour videos. I never got to see much early Julian footage and I was wayyyyy too big of a wimp to relate to Cardiel even though he was clearly amazing and one of my favorites.

The progression of Real makes a bit more sense. They had a huge rise after Busenitz got on and always had a fairly stacked team and they released a few notable videos right at that point in my life.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #2080 on: November 20, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone has a Polar Jacket? Is it worth the money? How does it fit? I'm in between sizes and don't wanna order it twice because it's getting cold soon. Thanks!
[close]

I find polar a size smaller than other brands. Like the L hoodie is more like an M in passport/Adidas/etnies/Huf. Like more slim fitting. Mind I'm old and never really got out of the baggy stage. I've got two polar hoodies in L but ordered an XL jacket.

Many thanks for your answer :D

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2081 on: November 20, 2022, 08:17:00 PM »
I'm totally in love with the Lakai Carroll's, sadly they're discontinued.
Which Lakais would be similar?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #2082 on: November 22, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »

so i'm not a lakai person/historian, but i see carrolls on their site?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2083 on: November 22, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »
Looking for a very particular deck shape because my OCD has convinced me this would be a goldilocks board - mellow kicks, flat concave, size 8.5 or a wider board that tapers to 8.5 at the trucks, roughly 14" wb. I looked and looked and found stuff that matched the sizing, but gauging kick and concave on online shops doesn't really work. Anyone know anything close to this?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2084 on: November 22, 2022, 10:09:59 AM »
Looking for a very particular deck shape because my OCD has convinced me this would be a goldilocks board - mellow kicks, flat concave, size 8.5 or a wider board that tapers to 8.5 at the trucks, roughly 14" wb. I looked and looked and found stuff that matched the sizing, but gauging kick and concave on online shops doesn't really work. Anyone know anything close to this?

Maybe try Baker? they dont have WB listed on all their boards but they have the mellowest concave of any of the big brands that I've seen. If you watch the most recent spanly part you can see his shit is flat as hell.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #2085 on: November 23, 2022, 06:30:24 PM »
Does anyone know of any US based shops that carry Blast skates? I want to grab one of those Snelling decks but probably not for $114.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2086 on: November 23, 2022, 10:08:33 PM »
Does anyone know of any US based shops that carry Blast skates? I want to grab one of those Snelling decks but probably not for $114.

I’m not sure if they do anymore, but 35th Ave used to.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2087 on: November 23, 2022, 11:34:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe try Baker? they dont have WB listed on all their boards but they have the mellowest concave of any of the big brands that I've seen. If you watch the most recent spanly part you can see his shit is flat as hell.

Skate mental had pretty mellow concave/kicks at one point. Not sure if their 8.38/8.5 are still that way, but could be an option. Unless im wrong.

But its also skate mental in 2022... do with that what you will if yav like the brand or not
Super Champion Fun Zone

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2088 on: November 24, 2022, 03:57:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2 Anti Hero questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

Although the eagle graphic was the first one done for AH by Todd Francis pretty much the same time as the company started around 1995, I think it wasn't until about 2001 or so that they had a few different options for those boards, as per a paper DLX catalog I still have from that time.  It was a toss up between the eagle and the pigeon for the main graphic at one point, but both have their place in AH graphics.  Check out his instagram for some good pics / info:

The eagle range didn't really firm up until a few years later, with maybe 2010 being one of the first years to have multiple eagles on different back colours for different sizes (also going by some more old DLX catalogs) but I don't have anywhere near the full lot of this sort of stuff, so could be very wrong.  Even 2016 or so there were still only half of the options that there are / were around 2020, with ten options, 7.3 yellowish, 7.81 light green, 8.0 olive green, 8.12 black, 8.25 grey, 8.38 dark green, 8.5 dark blue, 8.62 cream, 8.75 white, 9.0 orange in popsicles anyway, plus the shaped eagles - another five or more - raw / natural, black stain, blue meanie, orange crush, green giant, etc.  Then the huffer eagle, the beach bum eagle...  I should just stop.

As to the brand itself, as said, solid videos, rad team, definitely more relatable and of interest to more people I knew that weren't so into tech skating and more into "fun/gnar" skating, if that is even a term, as well as tours that came through and whipped people into a brand frenzy - Tent City 2003 - was almost the main driving factor for so many people I know to get into the AH way of life.

Edit:

Personally, I didn’t take notice of Anti Hero until the Beauty and the Beast videos came out. The always had heavy hitters on their team and loved their skating but the personalities took it to the next level. I also think as i got older my tastes changed.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2089 on: November 24, 2022, 04:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not on the site :(
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #2090 on: November 24, 2022, 10:15:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Not on the site :(
figured it out, there is a very easy to get to knock off lakai site i ended up on. my bad dude!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2091 on: November 24, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wear a size 11 shoe and don't flip my board. Is 8.18 too small?
[close]

What are you skating? Since you don't care about flipping, I'd say a bigger board could definitely benefit you. That's pretty much the only thing small boards are beneficial for. Just try an 8.5 and feel it out.

But there's also no reason not to skate the 8.18 if it feels right for you. Never forget, 90s people with huge feet used to skate 7.5s.
[close]

Thanks guys. I just want to buy cheap boards from the Hockey sale that I found out about too late.

To answer the Q above I skate pretty much all curbs, flat, mellow transitions. I learned slappies and shit on a 7.75" with low trucks so I'm not concerned about the functionality so much as I am looking silly on a smaller board. Which I shouldn't be worrying about in the first place.

For me, boards that are in that range, 8ish, look ‘correct’.
My glory (dramatic overstatement) years were 7.5-7.75. 8s look good. I personally do not favor how big boards look.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2092 on: November 24, 2022, 11:56:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2 Anti Hero questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

Edit:

[close]

Personally, I didn’t take notice of Anti Hero until the Beauty and the Beast videos came out. The always had heavy hitters on their team and loved their skating but the personalities took it to the next level. I also think as i got older my tastes changed.

Thanks a lot you guys, makes perfect sense.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #2093 on: November 24, 2022, 09:31:47 PM »
What's up with the weird, seemingly nonsensical board sizes like 8.06", 8.3", 8.4", 8.47", etc? Do people really think there's a noticeable difference between 8" and 8.06" or 8.47" and 8.5"? Or is it just placebo marketing?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2094 on: November 24, 2022, 09:50:43 PM »
What's up with the weird, seemingly nonsensical board sizes like 8.06", 8.3", 8.4", 8.47", etc? Do people really think there's a noticeable difference between 8" and 8.06" or 8.47" and 8.5"? Or is it just placebo marketing?

I think it's brand being pedantic to make their products sound more exclusive than they really are. In the rare cases they use the odd numbering to denote a specific shape / dimensions, only noticed this with Hockey / FA with their Shape #1 and Shape #2:

Shape 1 - shovel nose, steep kicks
8.0" x 31.66"
14" Wheel Base.

8.18" x 31.73"
14" Wheel Base.

8.25" x 31.79"
14.12" Wheel Base.

8.38" x 31.75"
14.18" Wheel Base.

8.5" x 31.91"
14.25" Wheel Base.

9.0" x 33.25"
15" Wheel Base.

Shape #2 - Tapered nose, medium kicks (I think)
8.38" x 31.75"
14.18" Wheel Base.

8.44" x 31.89"
14.19" Wheel Base.

8.5" x 31.91"
14.25" Wheel Base.

(I mean not quite but took some time to put this post together and I ain't deleting it)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2095 on: November 24, 2022, 11:30:47 PM »

Yes and no. Some riders: PJ Ladd may want very specific dimensions to the board they're skating, but the average skater may or may not notice it. Or at least get used to it quicker.

Some of those "odd sizes" have been my favorite in the past. 0.25" is noticeable in width for me and usually when you size up/down the width, other specs go with it: length, tail/nose length, wb, etc.

I loved DLX 8.38 for a long time because it was nimble like an 8.25 but wider like an 8.5 without being as burdensome as 8.5, can be. That said, 8.5 is my goldilocks and I skate tech/flat ground a lot. I begin to notice if my foot isn't fully on or not popping my tail in the right spot if I'm skating one of those "odd" sizes.

The 8.06 and 8.47 arr virtually undetectable to me, but 8.38/8.4, 8.125, 8.8 are all in between common sizes that they do fill a niche to be sold at all. Minute, but still present.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2096 on: November 25, 2022, 12:03:30 AM »
Thought of it once as a joke but now believe it's just companies covering their ass for their shit not being perfect. It's not surgery 0.03" does not and never will matter or even be noticeable

Chronic85

« Reply #2097 on: November 25, 2022, 12:57:38 AM »

Bought a Baker Deck in 8.475 a while ago thinking i wouldn't notice the difference to 8.5 anyway.
I was absolutely wrong.
Felt much smaller to me.
I could've adjusted to it but didnt want to.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2098 on: November 25, 2022, 05:03:36 AM »

It's often just a way to differentiate a shape. The DLX 8.28 is just a "code" for an 8.25 with a short WB. The Baker 8.475 is just a shorter, pointier 8.38 based on their 8.25/14.25 mold. Stuff like that. 8.06 is the DLX 8 with a 14.38 WB whereas they used to make an 8 with a 14" WB and an 8.1 that was an 8 and had a 14.25.

It's quite confusing. They could just use some kind of universal shape code like 8" long and 8" standard or something. Most of these companies now list the dimensions on the website or on the board. I dunno why people only go by width. The DLX 8.475 is clearly marked as 14.25 and 31.875 and the 8.5 is clearly marked as 14.5 and 32 they're not the same size or shape. Once you know which one you prefer you can just go by the width/shape code effectively.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2099 on: November 25, 2022, 05:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bought a Baker Deck in 8.475 a while ago thinking i wouldn't notice the difference to 8.5 anyway.
I was absolutely wrong.
Felt much smaller to me.
I could've adjusted to it but didnt want to.

That one is interesting though.

Normal 8.5 x 32 (and a bit) with 14.5 wb, compared to the shorter 8.475 at about 31.8 with 14.25 wb, the overall width difference being about 1 mm from the two I have here, but yes it does make such a difference in the feel of them.

As said previously, alternating longer to shorter to mix up the sizes a bit, to try to keep everyone happy, for some brands.

For other brands, it almost seems like they try to come up with the most weird or unusual number combinations, just to have something different, or someone was high when they did them and thought it would be funny.

I don't go too deep into it but if it is about the right size and shape and feels good, then that is that.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.