Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202147 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2130 on: November 30, 2022, 09:53:24 AM »
How are Indy 159s on an 8.5? I switched over from a huffer to an 8.75 eagle but the bigger tail is really throwing off my pop.

This is how I did it for the few years when I rode 8.5" decks. Obviously not every 8.5" deck is exactly 8.5", but it always worked great and I had no real trouble with my flip tricks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2131 on: November 30, 2022, 01:07:58 PM »
Anyone who's had the krux hollow dl kingpin know if bones bushings work with weird top washer the kingpins come with?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2132 on: November 30, 2022, 07:18:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did they recently make Formula Fours more white or were my last set just that yellowed from months of skating?  I feel like the set I just picked up more resemble the standard Spitfires than other F4s I’ve had recently…
[close]

I've definitely had some whiter/less potato wheels lately. Wonder if they switched up the formula a bit or if it just varies batch by batch
[close]

I don't know how long they sit somewhere before ending up here, or even how much UV light they are exposed to, but definitely the most recent wheels out here have been way lighter in colour than the previous shipment or other older ones still there from the last drop - can definitely see the difference in the skate shop cabinet between a few sets.
[close]

As long as we don’t hit the Bones wheels territory of bleached whiteness I’m good with it haha

Yeah for sure!

Natural urethane, just a light cream colour, not brown and not absolute white, just right.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2133 on: November 30, 2022, 08:29:08 PM »
I have the f4 classics 101a from a few months back and they're fairly white. I just got some of the same ones in 99a for the colder months during the Black Friday sales and they're noticeably darker. 

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2134 on: December 01, 2022, 08:48:32 AM »
I was wondering if you agree that I should trade one Technique 1200 (1998) for a ps5 or should I wait
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2135 on: December 01, 2022, 08:55:49 AM »
I was wondering if you agree that I should trade one Technique 1200 (1998) for a ps5 or should I wait
Maybe better asking in the music section or I think there's a ps5 thread in the Vidya games section. Those guys prob know more about the value of ps5 related things this is more a thread about skateboard gear questions

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1277
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2136 on: December 01, 2022, 01:38:08 PM »
Looking at eBay prices, a good condition SL1200 Mk 2 with a tonearm and either a lower cost cart or none at all is closing at around $600. I think this might be a decent trade as my PS5 was a little over that amount with tax and shipping. If you're behind on PS4 gen stuff and don't have one I would say it's worth the cop. If you're trying to play cutting edge games, temper your expectations a bit as there have been a lot of delays since no one can get their hands on consoles three years into the platform's life cycle.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2137 on: December 01, 2022, 09:47:10 PM »
Anyone know what Busenitz or Rowan's setups are?

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2138 on: December 01, 2022, 11:36:09 PM »
Anyone who's had the krux hollow dl kingpin know if bones bushings work with weird top washer the kingpins come with?

Yes, works. Rode them with bones hards on some Indy 149 Standards for which I got a new set of the inverted plates because the old ones where done. That was the only setup I could get tight enough with the krux pin and the dlk washers on the mindy baseplate. The washers have this weird single contact point and everything else just wobbled. Rode them also in thunder 148 hollow lights with the mediums.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2139 on: December 02, 2022, 04:04:30 AM »

Are they both a little on the secretive side, or just not responding to questions?  I see so many people asking Dennis and never any replies.

When he was out on tour with Real his setup was 8.25 deck, 147 Thunders on Spitfire Classics in 52mm with super noisy crusty bearings, but that was a long time ago now.

I think looking at Instagram pics and even from some comments he is on the DLX 8.38 sized board, 148 or 149 Team Thunders, still on 52mm Classics and crusty raw bearings.  The trucks look like they sit inside the deck on most recent clips, so maybe 148s.

Never really looked hard at Rowan's setup, but looks like it is similar sized setup too, maybe an 8.25 or the same dimensions on the 8.38 Baker deck, Indy standard 144 or 149s, Spitfire whatevers (changes a bit) latest looking like Conical Full maybe 53mm.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2140 on: December 02, 2022, 08:31:58 AM »
I've decided against the trade.

The 1200 will last forever only gaining value.

Ps5 is temporary
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #2141 on: December 02, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »
I've decided against the trade.

The 1200 will last forever only gaining value.

Ps5 is temporary

Good call. I'm gonna grab one of them sega astro city mini's to kill time with this winter. PS5 is too expensive.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2142 on: December 02, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are they both a little on the secretive side, or just not responding to questions?  I see so many people asking Dennis and never any replies.

When he was out on tour with Real his setup was 8.25 deck, 147 Thunders on Spitfire Classics in 52mm with super noisy crusty bearings, but that was a long time ago now.

I think looking at Instagram pics and even from some comments he is on the DLX 8.38 sized board, 148 or 149 Team Thunders, still on 52mm Classics and crusty raw bearings.  The trucks look like they sit inside the deck on most recent clips, so maybe 148s.

Never really looked hard at Rowan's setup, but looks like it is similar sized setup too, maybe an 8.25 or the same dimensions on the 8.38 Baker deck, Indy standard 144 or 149s, Spitfire whatevers (changes a bit) latest looking like Conical Full maybe 53mm.

Thanks, mostly just curious. They're two skaters that I always feel skate really fast and comfortable. Not that their setups will make me skate the same, but just weird nerdy curiosity.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #2143 on: December 02, 2022, 02:01:54 PM »
Not sure where to put this but was just about to grip a new frog and noticed it was a tad heavy, looked closely and there is two heat transfers - they put the new graphic over the last drops graphic - how old is this deck and how shitty will it skate? Lol

Certainly one solution to this overstock problem.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2144 on: December 02, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »
Not sure where to put this but was just about to grip a new frog and noticed it was a tad heavy, looked closely and there is two heat transfers - they put the new graphic over the last drops graphic - how old is this deck and how shitty will it skate? Lol

Wow that’s nuts please report back with findings

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #2145 on: December 02, 2022, 06:05:33 PM »
Anyone try slappy’s trucks yet? Looks like a solid design but maybe they grind down quick?
The chillest1

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2146 on: December 02, 2022, 06:12:06 PM »
Anyone try slappy’s trucks yet? Looks like a solid design but maybe they grind down quick?
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124231.120

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2147 on: December 02, 2022, 07:07:31 PM »

What's on top, re warning sticker or anything else?

Usually graphics done at BBS are finished, shrink wrapped and product sent out to the distro, but smaller brands often get blanks to use and do whatever they want to them, or boards from Generator (with Generator stickers) as per shop boards or smaller brands that can't go directly through BBS for wood.

Not a worry either way, more just curious.

I know of someone who used to put other graphics straight over old ones in a certain situation at one distro, but I think given you can usually see the old graphic underneath it is not so common.  The graphic of a smaller local brand was put on an AH board for one rider who was very picky with his setups and didn't like the concave and wood that came on the smaller brand, so it was easy enough to do and no one knew any different.  Funny thinking about that.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #2148 on: December 02, 2022, 07:54:34 PM »
saw some insta story screenshots of someone who skated theirs (recent frog board that is) and scraped away to the older graphic underneath, dunno how to find that again, but i want to say it was this jesse alba graphic on the second slide
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVV1iO0PteF/

stealth edit: so that was posted 58 weeks ago, so it's a year old deck -possibly-

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #2149 on: December 03, 2022, 09:08:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What's on top, re warning sticker or anything else?

Usually graphics done at BBS are finished, shrink wrapped and product sent out to the distro, but smaller brands often get blanks to use and do whatever they want to them, or boards from Generator (with Generator stickers) as per shop boards or smaller brands that can't go directly through BBS for wood.

Not a worry either way, more just curious.

I know of someone who used to put other graphics straight over old ones in a certain situation at one distro, but I think given you can usually see the old graphic underneath it is not so common.  The graphic of a smaller local brand was put on an AH board for one rider who was very picky with his setups and didn't like the concave and wood that came on the smaller brand, so it was easy enough to do and no one knew any different.  Funny thinking about that.

Yeah it has the made in mexico warning sticker. This deck was from my local - purchased a couple months ago - the new pat g trash eater. I assume frog does heat transfers themselves because they mostly use the generic bbs shapes. It was most noticeable on the top graphic -if you put the board up to the light you can see the old graphic under, its actually last runs chris milic board which I already skated lol - it has a carrot between two faces.

Anyway its my favorite shape - so Ill just skate it and see how it goes - although with it in the back of my mind that its old stock I'll probably want to change it out for some perceived shortcoming (never my skating haha).

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2150 on: December 03, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »
Trying to hunt down a specific graphic , Its a kid sitting in front of a huge TV. I think its Blind?
Is there a Blind Graphic archive anywhere online? Im having no luck...

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #2151 on: December 03, 2022, 11:00:37 AM »
Trying to hunt down a specific graphic , Its a kid sitting in front of a huge TV. I think its Blind?
Is there a Blind Graphic archive anywhere online? Im having no luck...

i'm sure someone will come in fast with an answer to the graphic, but your best bet would be http://www.artofskateboarding.com/ for an archive. not totally comprehensive but worth a shot. that and you can try archive.org and use the waybackmachine to look at old versions of a brand's site and hopefully the images are archived

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2152 on: December 03, 2022, 04:42:07 PM »

Yeah it has the made in mexico warning sticker. This deck was from my local - purchased a couple months ago - the new pat g trash eater. I assume frog does heat transfers themselves because they mostly use the generic bbs shapes. It was most noticeable on the top graphic -if you put the board up to the light you can see the old graphic under, its actually last runs chris milic board which I already skated lol - it has a carrot between two faces.

Anyway its my favorite shape - so Ill just skate it and see how it goes - although with it in the back of my mind that its old stock I'll probably want to change it out for some perceived shortcoming (never my skating haha).

For what it's worth, boards stored well and kept in decent conditions will still be good for a long time, especially from good wood stock like BBS.

I have some boards 10+ years old and still skate fine, crispy, not too dried out and brittle and definitely not old and soggy, but everything I have is kept in shrink, stored in cardboard boxes and locked away until needed.

Sometimes things got away from me and I had bought way too many of something, but I have never had issues with any of them, unlike other places that had removed shrink and boards displayed on the wall and then dry out too much and become unreliable to skate.  Those ones are best left on a wall or given to a beginner, in my view anyway.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2153 on: December 05, 2022, 04:13:24 PM »
I've only ever ridden popsicle decks with 54mm and smaller wheels my entire life and decided I want to try a shaped deck with larger wheels. Which shape would you recommend for someone's first shaped board? I just want something fun that can cruise, still do flip tricks, and some small-medium transition. My main setup is 8.25 on ventures

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #2154 on: December 05, 2022, 05:17:28 PM »
I've only ever ridden popsicle decks with 54mm and smaller wheels my entire life and decided I want to try a shaped deck with larger wheels. Which shape would you recommend for someone's first shaped board? I just want something fun that can cruise, still do flip tricks, and some small-medium transition. My main setup is 8.25 on ventures

Maybe Huffer (Anti Hero), Loveseat or Couch ( Girl), Spade ( Passport) depends on how big you want to go. These shapes are great go-to’s for semi technical skating from a shaped board that should be fairly easy to find.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #2155 on: December 05, 2022, 07:17:35 PM »

Polar makes some fun shapes, the surf Jr and P9 come to mind, though I like Polar decks best on Indy and Ace. The 9.0 football Quasi makes is a fun one too. I skated a couple on venture 5.8s and they were super fun.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2156 on: December 06, 2022, 01:53:01 PM »

Huffer is definitely the GOAT, but if you still want something that can flip you could try the Crail Couch or Loveseat decks.

Otherwise, Polar definitely has some fun shapes but in my experience they're less versatile than the Huffer or Phawt.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2157 on: December 07, 2022, 06:57:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, mostly just curious. They're two skaters that I always feel skate really fast and comfortable. Not that their setups will make me skate the same, but just weird nerdy curiosity.

Not a big deal, but from looking at and commenting in the Wheel thread about the three plain and one coloured wheel, the post from Jake Hayes (third frame) would be awesome from more people describing their setup info.  Still might not answer some questions, but it goes a long way to helping with product info when I think he would have been getting a lot of questions asking what was on his setup.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK2gNh7Jjmg/

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #2158 on: December 09, 2022, 11:41:02 AM »
How do you guys lace up your Maranas or other shoes with hidden lace loops?

I’ve never questioned how I lace my shoes, I just roll with them like the manufacturer set them up. Just thought about this now, because my new shoes didn’t come fully laced.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2159 on: December 09, 2022, 12:52:32 PM »
This might have been asked before..

But why do boards seem to chip less these days?

Always seemed like my decks in the late 90s/00s always had a chip from running into a wall, rail or the ground. These days not so much. Not sure if its because i dont skate gaps anymore, or if manufacturing is just better these days. Maybe the tapered shapes back then chipped easier than the rounded/blunted ones today?

Curious to hear any theories, or if im just imagining shit.