Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216692 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2280 on: December 28, 2022, 08:32:23 AM »
None of those details are the same. The tail on the 14.38 is steeper and the kicks are rounded. The tail is also longer. I've laid it over the DLX since I have ridden that one and it's much closer to that than the other Quasi 8.25. I've skated a proto, 2 8.25's, the longer 8.25, and 3 8.38's. I've also measured it and since I have a full woodshop I've used contour gauges to measure the distance between kicks and kick curvature.

You're right the wood is the biggest difference, but PS decks are, on average, shorter with more space between the bolts and kicks. That 8.25 has less of this fingers of flat making it the closest PS to a BBS I've ever had. The adjustment between that and the DLX 8.25 was less for me than I expected.

I'll admit being wrong about other things, but I compared every Quasi 2 weeks ago and I have emailed Chad in the past about the details. Here is a copy paste:

"Hey ____,

The 8.25x14.38 is a more traditional, slightly blunted shape with a longer tail than normal. If you liked the Proto this is a much different shape and a bit steeper both the tail and nose. It's definitely less square than the other shapes you've skated and the kicks start closer to the bolts.

The 8.38 shapes you can always tell by the overall length: the one with mellower kicks and longer tail is marked 32.25. We used that one for the Al deck you liked, but they're both pretty close."

Also, I know Dill has ridden Indy's for a long time- I was referring to the period in time when most of his Alien and TWS footage was filmed approximately 1998-2010ish. Actual deck dimensions are easy to quantify and write down rather than remember a video that was produced before I even had all of my teeth.

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2281 on: December 28, 2022, 09:06:47 AM »
Does anyone know of a (USA based) shop that stocks the SKF Ceramic bearings?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #2282 on: December 28, 2022, 07:11:01 PM »
Anyone got any movies or docs or whatever.

I'm getting bummed at my tv and I need background stimulation of worth while I do chores tomorrow all day.

All fucking day.

Perhaps a dope audio book series on YouTube or whatever

I like sci-fi fancy but will watch or listen to most anything that has not to do with skating at this point.

National Geopgraphic - Torn

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2283 on: December 29, 2022, 10:24:11 AM »
How do people run large wheels (>56mm) without riser pads, especially with shorter trucks? Wouldn't the wheelbite be brutal?

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2284 on: December 29, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »
 the first time I skated my KSL g6 i bailed out of a noseslide all weird, but the real weird part was how my ankle rolled over quite easily. I chalked it up to the shoes being stiff and not broken in yet and my first cupsole in a while. So flash forward to yesterday, KSL all broken in and feeling good. I rolled my ankle trying fs flip on hip. Luckily its not bad, but it made me think, would this have happened in my usual vans ? So the question I pose is this: Do you feel like ankles are more prone to rolling in a chunkier shoe, with a cupsole??? Or is it just all in my head?

Pastasash

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2285 on: December 29, 2022, 12:34:04 PM »
the first time I skated my KSL g6 i bailed out of a noseslide all weird, but the real weird part was how my ankle rolled over quite easily. I chalked it up to the shoes being stiff and not broken in yet and my first cupsole in a while. So flash forward to yesterday, KSL all broken in and feeling good. I rolled my ankle trying fs flip on hip. Luckily its not bad, but it made me think, would this have happened in my usual vans ? So the question I pose is this: Do you feel like ankles are more prone to rolling in a chunkier shoe, with a cupsole??? Or is it just all in my head?

all in your head, I've rolled the same ankle 3 times in the past 3 years in 3 different shoes. Rolled it in a OG DC Lynx, Nike Bruins, and Dunk mids- so vulc or cupsole, lows or highs- don't matter, if you have weak or tweaked ankles it's going to get worse with skating if you don't put in the extra work off board to get them stronger unfortunately

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2286 on: December 29, 2022, 01:02:15 PM »
Fax. Def planning on implementing some ankle strengthening routine.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2287 on: December 29, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
How do people run large wheels (>56mm) without riser pads, especially with shorter trucks? Wouldn't the wheelbite be brutal?

Maybe some have tighter trucks.

Even then, I think it comes down to how stable their board is, as well as how strong their ankles are, to be able to hold the board without it tipping so far as to get wheelbite issues.

On the other hand, I see some boards with crazy wheelbite grooves, down as far as two or so layers, so I wonder what people are doing, but as long as they are still going forwards and dragging back wheels, or going backwards and dragging the front wheels, they wouldn't get pitched.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2288 on: December 29, 2022, 02:49:07 PM »
Fax. Def planning on implementing some ankle strengthening routine.

some boards have carved out wheel wells, some dudes fuckin wax their deck where the wheel makes contact. i just scooped a bad ass set of spitfire big heads in 63mm for $16 shipped and trying to figure out what the fuck to do with them

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2289 on: December 29, 2022, 03:00:59 PM »
You get used to it. The first few days can be a little tricky and frustrating when I ride big wheels. I do a lot of different shuv/front shuv variations for those few days. Those are the kind of tricks that I’ll wheelbite on the most, so I purposely do them to retrain myself on how to land. I’m not sure what’s going on; if it’s rewiring the muscle memory or if it’s strengthening my ankles/calves. You also develop these deep wheelbite grooves that are a few plies deep. I hope that makes sense

For reference I’m on the heavier side of street skaters and I’ll skate my Thunders relatively loose. Not rattly loose, but I can make my hanger jiggle around by hand
fuck you bama

hayduke lives

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2290 on: December 29, 2022, 03:42:59 PM »
anybody here tried dying F4s? i want to try on some older, un-skated sets that have gotten too brown for my liking. also wondering if the old adage of dyed wheels being softer still holds true when you DIY? 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2291 on: December 29, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »
Anyone rode the new Marana Fiberlite yet? Supposed to be a slimmer, lighter Marana with the Michelin sole. Always looking out for shoes with a lasting sole and hidden lace loops.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2292 on: December 29, 2022, 05:34:33 PM »
When I look at Instagram skate videos I feel like no footy is shaky.
Mine is when we Film lines. Of course my Filmers suck, but do Filmers usually stabilize videos when they edit them?

If so, what an uncomplicated and easy to use use software for this?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #2293 on: December 29, 2022, 05:34:50 PM »
Anyone rode the new Marana Fiberlite yet? Supposed to be a slimmer, lighter Marana with the Michelin sole. Always looking out for shoes with a lasting sole and hidden lace loops.

FYI, in case folks do not know but the regular Marana has hidden lace loops, as well, not just the Fibrelite. If you have them, look along the lace loops and you'll notice them.

I have these in the all black leather colorway but have not worn them yet. Just tried them on in my room and they need breaking in to be comfortable/skatable. The leather is stiff and not that soft/pliable out the box. Would make great winter skating shoes though

I've skated the Joslin 2, which uses the same sole. I liked those a lot since the sole was supportive and durable but surprisingly responsive/"soft-gummy" feeling. A beautiful mix of firm but soft.
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2294 on: December 29, 2022, 06:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the input @DarkPools, thinking if it worth the price of 2 pairs of eS Swift 1.5 which I've been loving. Any comment on sizing (TTS) and durability that hasn't already been covered by Weartested? It's said to be slimmer than the regular Marana, I'll check out the local shop for reference on how puffy it would feel.

https://www.weartested.com/etnies-marana-review/
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #2295 on: December 29, 2022, 06:21:11 PM »
When I look at Instagram skate videos I feel like no footy is shaky.
Mine is when we Film lines. Of course my Filmers suck, but do Filmers usually stabilize videos when they edit them?

If so, what an uncomplicated and easy to use use software for this?

it's could be hardware more than software to be honest. something like a gimble or a stabilizing caddy thing might be what you're looking for?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #2296 on: December 29, 2022, 08:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

all in your head, I've rolled the same ankle 3 times in the past 3 years in 3 different shoes. Rolled it in a OG DC Lynx, Nike Bruins, and Dunk mids- so vulc or cupsole, lows or highs- don't matter, if you have weak or tweaked ankles it's going to get worse with skating if you don't put in the extra work off board to get them stronger unfortunately
Think any time your heel is raised increases chances of ankle roll especially if your foot can move around inside the shoe. Super thick insoles in a vulc is prob more dangerous than a cupsole (assuming the cupsole actually cups your heel in) 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2297 on: December 29, 2022, 11:37:21 PM »
anybody here tried dying F4s? i want to try on some older, un-skated sets that have gotten too brown for my liking. also wondering if the old adage of dyed wheels being softer still holds true when you DIY?

I dyed some quite a few years ago. I think my dye was red or fuchsia. Soaked them in there for a month or so. They turned out looking more like irritated skin pink than what I had planned. Can’t remember what brand dye I used but the chances are it’s different than what you’d get as I live in Finland. So, it didn’t really work as planned but the wheels skated fine and I figured that I don’t really care that much about wheel colors anyway.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 10:17:36 AM by Roisto »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2298 on: December 30, 2022, 01:54:14 AM »
Thanks for the input @DarkPools, thinking if it worth the price of 2 pairs of eS Swift 1.5 which I've been loving. Any comment on sizing (TTS) and durability that hasn't already been covered by Weartested? It's said to be slimmer than the regular Marana, I'll check out the local shop for reference on how puffy it would feel.

It could be worth one for the price of 2 es if you end up liking them. It's noticeably thicker in the sole and overall padding compared to Swift 1.5. The Swift 1.5 is a thinner Marana in a way, and the Fibrelite will be between that and the regular Marana. I've also skated/worn Swift 1.5. Liked them but were a little too thin for me personally.

Marana/Fibrelite Sizing: most people go 0.5 up in them since they tend to run small. 0.5 up from your Swift size and you should be golden. That's what I run!

As for durability, the Michelin soles on the current run is far more durable and harder than the OG sole that Weartested covered. The upper will likely wear out before the soles become unskateable. That also means they're less pliable brand new and need some breaking in (walking around/simple cruises).
Also, the padding in the tongue/collar in the regular Marana does pack out a bit and forms to your foot better with the break in and skating of them. The Fibrelite should be similar but accelerated since they took some padding out already, plus tongue straps!

Hope that helps!!
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2299 on: December 30, 2022, 05:34:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It could be worth one for the price of 2 es if you end up liking them. It's noticeably thicker in the sole and overall padding compared to Swift 1.5. The Swift 1.5 is a thinner Marana in a way, and the Fibrelite will be between that and the regular Marana. I've also skated/worn Swift 1.5. Liked them but were a little too thin for me personally.

Marana/Fibrelite Sizing: most people go 0.5 up in them since they tend to run small. 0.5 up from your Swift size and you should be golden. That's what I run!

As for durability, the Michelin soles on the current run is far more durable and harder than the OG sole that Weartested covered. The upper will likely wear out before the soles become unskateable. That also means they're less pliable brand new and need some breaking in (walking around/simple cruises).
Also, the padding in the tongue/collar in the regular Marana does pack out a bit and forms to your foot better with the break in and skating of them. The Fibrelite should be similar but accelerated since they took some padding out already, plus tongue straps!

Hope that helps!!
[/quote
]

Good stuff, thanks for enabling my shopping habit!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2300 on: December 31, 2022, 12:59:11 AM »
Sorry and not sorry! Hahah!
If it makes you feel any better, it enables/enabled my own shopping habit.  Always trying to but fewer but it is futile
Super Champion Fun Zone

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2301 on: December 31, 2022, 11:06:21 AM »
Is there a Gadget for filming that can track a skateboarder? Something that just stands there statically and turns to keep focus on the skater?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2302 on: December 31, 2022, 11:32:47 AM »
Is there a Gadget for filming that can track a skateboarder? Something that just stands there statically and turns to keep focus on the skater?

a fancy enough gimble should have tracking and a tripod, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-Smartphone-Lightweight-Inception-iSteady/dp/B0936NLG28

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2303 on: December 31, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This would be great if it really works. It not I would pay more for something else too
a fancy enough gimble should have tracking and a tripod, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-Smartphone-Lightweight-Inception-iSteady/dp/B0936NLG28

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2304 on: December 31, 2022, 12:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This would be great if it really works. It not I would pay more for something else too
[close]

yeah and just to be clear - i'm not vouching for that model specifically but i do hope it sends you in the right direction

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2305 on: December 31, 2022, 12:51:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

yeah and just to be clear - i'm not vouching for that model specifically but i do hope it sends you in the right direction
There's the Soloshot but it is bloody expensive. I only know about it from an old Nine Club Experience where they talked about having to keep the dongle in their pocket so that the camera could track them. Talk starts at around 5 minutes in:
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #2306 on: January 01, 2023, 12:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I dyed some quite a few years ago. I think my dye was red or fuchsia. Soaked them in there for a month or so. They turned out looking more like irritated skin pink than what I had planned. Can’t remember what brand dye I used but the chances are it’s different than what you’d get as I live in Finland. So, it didn’t really work as planned but the wheels skated fine and I figured that I don’t really care that much about wheel colors anyway.

Recently dyed some F4 og classics with charcoal coloured RIT synthetic dye, left them in for about 24 hrs each side (I was dumb & only bought 1 bottle so had to do side at a time) & worked perfect, turned out this like dark green-ish-black colour which I kinda dig & the graphic stayed too which is dope on the all black. But make sure it’s synthetic, the normal RIT dye is more for clothes I believe & doesn’t actually get into the wheels. I also talked to a homie that tried boiling his wheels in non synthetic dye then letting them soak for about a week, he said the dye lasted about a month of consistent skating but I haven’t tried that method cause I’m not willing to potentially waste $60 on wheels lol. It’s also winter here so I’ve only used em on a few garage sessions & dry street days so no major use but they seem to be holding up fine with the synthetic, if it doesn’t work then you got a cool faded pair of spits then I guess
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

hayduke lives

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2307 on: January 01, 2023, 06:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Recently dyed some F4 og classics with charcoal coloured RIT synthetic dye, left them in for about 24 hrs each side (I was dumb & only bought 1 bottle so had to do side at a time) & worked perfect, turned out this like dark green-ish-black colour which I kinda dig & the graphic stayed too which is dope on the all black. But make sure it’s synthetic, the normal RIT dye is more for clothes I believe & doesn’t actually get into the wheels. I also talked to a homie that tried boiling his wheels in non synthetic dye then letting them soak for about a week, he said the dye lasted about a month of consistent skating but I haven’t tried that method cause I’m not willing to potentially waste $60 on wheels lol. It’s also winter here so I’ve only used em on a few garage sessions & dry street days so no major use but they seem to be holding up fine with the synthetic, if it doesn’t work then you got a cool faded pair of spits then I guess

thank you both for feedback. sounds like the synthetic dye is way to go. i may as well try it. think i'd dig a weird color more than yellow onion color these have.

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #2308 on: January 01, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »
Loophole wheels: irie or bumboclot?
I an I haff nah white god

poodude

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2309 on: January 01, 2023, 08:06:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
There's the Soloshot but it is bloody expensive. I only know about it from an old Nine Club Experience where they talked about having to keep the dongle in their pocket so that the camera could track them. Talk starts at around 5 minutes in:

Its probably going to be cheaper to just get an auto-follow drone that has a decent camera already onboard. I'm sure there are a bunch of cheap ones on AliExpress direct from China that will do the job. Only downside is its probably super loud.

4k with auto-follow $32 shipped from China  ;D
ex. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804882610157.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.2d0d6debIHtTXq&algo_pvid=8c9f5780-1f36-475e-918f-54ef84add588&algo_exp_id=8c9f5780-1f36-475e-918f-54ef84add588-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000031514662560%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%2147.1%2132.03%21%21%21%21%21%402102196716726321277781137d067c%2112000031514662560%21sea&curPageLogUid=LI6PqSudQgkL