Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202062 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2850 on: March 18, 2023, 09:24:37 AM »
the holographic sticker is fairly recent (for approx a year and a half)

Edit: my bad and sorry for the misleading info, i just checked on a couple boards from BBS i have in stock at the shop (less than 3 months old), Antihero, Krooked, Passport and they don't have the holographic sticker

maybe the new thing is not having that holographic sticker
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 09:47:30 AM by BALARGUE »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2851 on: March 18, 2023, 09:41:31 AM »
What happened to the Quantum thread?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2852 on: March 18, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »

weird
i was checking it earlier today ("New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings" in my history) but it seems gone now

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2853 on: March 18, 2023, 10:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

weird
i was checking it earlier today ("New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings" in my history) but it seems gone now

@Quantum_Bearing_Science explain please

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #2854 on: March 18, 2023, 12:02:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

weird
[close]

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2855 on: March 18, 2023, 12:50:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

weird
[close]

[close]

Well well well.

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2856 on: March 18, 2023, 01:02:54 PM »
They weren’t able to handle the criticism.

Anyone skate SKFs? If so, how are they compared to Bones Reds?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2857 on: March 18, 2023, 01:07:26 PM »
i wasnt following the thread, were people actually criticizing the bearings? when i looked at it month ago everyone seemed fairly happy with them
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2858 on: March 18, 2023, 01:20:21 PM »
They deleted the thread after not being able to take any sort of criticism. I was typing out a reply giving them some advice about not being passive aggressive since they’re already using the boards for free market research and it wouldn’t post. Refreshed the shoes and gear section and it was gone. The tides of opinion can change real quick over here

For the record I’m skating their fusion bearings right now and they’re really fast. Maybe the fastest bearings I’ve ever skated. Four of them seized up after 6ish weeks of skating. I cleaned and lubed them up this morning, so we’ll see how long they’ll stay good
fuck you bama

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2859 on: March 18, 2023, 01:40:46 PM »
They deleted the thread after not being able to take any sort of criticism. I was typing out a reply giving them some advice about not being passive aggressive since they’re already using the boards for free market research and it wouldn’t post. Refreshed the shoes and gear section and it was gone. The tides of opinion can change real quick over here

For the record I’m skating their fusion bearings right now and they’re really fast. Maybe the fastest bearings I’ve ever skated. Four of them seized up after 6ish weeks of skating. I cleaned and lubed them up this morning, so we’ll see how long they’ll stay good

6 weeks seems about normal for me for a bearing to seize up. Although iirc the quantum bearings were upwards of $60 compared to reds which also last 6 weeks, sometimes a lot more
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2860 on: March 18, 2023, 01:52:58 PM »

I've had bones swiss for 3+ years that never seized the wheel, they wouldn't move sometimes but only because of axle slippage.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2861 on: March 18, 2023, 02:19:58 PM »
ive never had a swiss seize either

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #2862 on: March 18, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »

Actually, quite a few people recently had called us out for our “stealth marketing” and using this forum to advertise.  That was not what I intended but I can see it.

And the last few pages were just becoming me and a couple of people who had bad luck with the bearings going back and forth.

I thought it was appropriate to end it.  Maybe not.  So be it.

We have no problem with criticism.  There was quite a bit in that thread and I never shied away from it.

Not really looking to derail this thread further.
  If people like the bearings, that’s outstanding.  Please let others know.

If you don’t, that’s ok as well.  Just let us know so we can improve as a whole or fix your specific issue.

Thanks 
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2863 on: March 18, 2023, 02:41:25 PM »

Allow me to tilt the brim on my new era tinfoil

The passive aggressive/aggressive comments, the snark, seemed odd, when before it was aaaaall love. I thought the comment about the berries and them, and then the deleting of the thread was funny, because that account had a bit of that vibe. That inability to take any criticism.

For what it’s worth, I made a dumb comment, that was exaggerated and poorly worded, at best, about their bearing not outlasting a deck.
The bearings started off very fast, when hand spun on the axle, but after a short time (10 plus sessions of flatground), slowed significantly. At the time of my comment, I was blathering about going to buy some Swiss 6, which have been the best bearings I’ve ever had. The account insinuated user error, and also pointed out that the their bearings outlive one deck. I grumbled, and decided to put away my wallet and cleaned the bearings. Popped the shields, tossed them in some new wheels, but on some very old stage 10 indys with not the freshest of looking axles. The bearings are decent, ish. Maybe on the ace axle they’d run better, those axles are noticeably nicer looking.
I’ve got some mini logo bearings in a different setup, with the shields, that have never been cleaned, that run faster. My Swiss are faster. Feeling. None of this has been quantified by me, but that’s never stopped any of us before, and it wasn’t a problem when folks were saying nice things.
I’ve had a fair amount of bearings that were fast, at one time. Shit some spitfire cheapshots that were loud and fast. For me the rest is the longevity of the bearing, and it’s speed. Once the q-sauce wore off, these were, for me, average, to this point. Maybe it’ll change.
All kind of funny because I skate slow as shit anyways

Edit***

You know how there is that warning that something else has been posted? I never heed that. And it shows.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #2864 on: March 18, 2023, 03:44:35 PM »
It’s still all love.  This place will always have a chapter in the Quantum Bearing history.

I apologize if a few of my posts came across as snarky.  To you and whoever they were in response to.

And I assure you we’re not in cahoots with the Berrics.  😂

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2865 on: March 18, 2023, 03:51:22 PM »
They weren’t able to handle the criticism.

Anyone skate SKFs? If so, how are they compared to Bones Reds?
I skated a set when they first came out a few years ago. They were really really bad. One of the maybe 2 sets of bearings I’ve owned where they fell apart
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2866 on: March 18, 2023, 04:25:05 PM »
Have trucks always been made of aluminum?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2867 on: March 18, 2023, 04:33:27 PM »

Unless you're talking about major brands, no. It's easy to come across plastic trucks on crappy "skateboards" from department stores.

Bennett was known for having plastic baseplates that broke easily.

Theeve sells a truck with a hanger that is made of titanium.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2868 on: March 18, 2023, 05:03:28 PM »
You should let threads exist for informational purposes.  Now all those answered question went back to being unsanswered

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2869 on: March 18, 2023, 05:36:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Baker is BBS

Does all the Baker decks got the holografic sticker of BBS between the truck holes?
[close]

Somebody help please?
[close]

Considering it's the new thing on BBS made boards, they should have that yes
[close]

Do you mean only the decks made from X year got that sticker?
Bbs didnt use to put such stickers?

Edit: my bad and sorry for the misleading info, i just checked on a couple boards from BBS i have in stock at the shop (less than 3 months old), Antihero, Krooked, Passport and they don't have the holographic sticker

More info in the Woodshop thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Article here:

https://bbsmfg.com/2021/05/15/bbs-made-authentic-sticker/

MAY 15, 2021
BBS Made Authentic Sticker

From what I have seen, NOT all brands that use BBS have these stickers, but I think from what I have seen more recently (not latest drops, as nothing is that current here in AU) there are a lot of them around on some brands, including Baker, Deathwish, Element, 917, Welcome and others I have bought in the last few months.

I have never seen them on DLX, Passport, Magenta, Black Label, among others, just for reference.

If there was any doubt as to whether or not a board is BBS, it should have the "Made in Mexico" warning sticker and very spoon shaped kicks, compared to counterfeit Baker boards which have the "Dwindle concave" and no warning sticker, often with slightly fuzzy graphics, like they were photocopied, at least on the one I saw.

Edit:

To note though, some old stock doesn't have those stickers, or even some not so old stock that for whatever reason just didn't get them, as per a Baker series I saw the other day in a shop.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:53:06 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2870 on: March 18, 2023, 05:52:47 PM »

Big thanks dude, very helpfull info!!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2871 on: March 18, 2023, 06:12:40 PM »

I posted that they were what you should expect for $40 ceramic bearings and then Quantum got weirdly passive aggressive about it, implied user error, said that I had previously said something about them which I never said, and then they apparently nuked the thread.

I didn’t even hate them, I just think the effusive praise was over the top so I posted my experience with them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #2872 on: March 18, 2023, 07:03:05 PM »
I think you assumed I was replying to you.  I wasn’t.  I understand your issue with the bearings and DM’d you a few days ago to get some more info.

If you’re down to check it, cool.  If not, cool.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2873 on: March 18, 2023, 08:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unless you're talking about major brands, no. It's easy to come across plastic trucks on crappy "skateboards" from department stores.

Bennett was known for having plastic baseplates that broke easily.

Theeve sells a truck with a hanger that is made of titanium.
Let’s not forget Trackers with the plastic baseplates that broke immediately.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2874 on: March 18, 2023, 08:41:25 PM »

4130 Chromo (same steel as BMX frames/bars/forks/pegs).

https://skateandannoy.com/features/who-killed-the-chromoly-truck/

Skaters would have no complaints about BMX pegs on pool coping if we were still riding these.

devils acrobat

• Rep: 121
« Reply #2875 on: March 18, 2023, 11:26:47 PM »
You should let threads exist for informational purposes.  Now all those answered question went back to being unsanswered

^^ this.
I bought the Atoms simply because of the good reviews in the thread. I wouldnt have heard about them otherwise. I am 3 months in and more than happy so far. That is also what I wrote in the thread. I just dont understand why you would take away that information just because things got a bit bumpy. People still appreciate your product and you have successfully advertised it to some of us here. But now that you got your feet on the ground with a few pros on board maybe the dirty ol SLAP messageboards are too critical of a place for you?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 01:21:42 AM by devils acrobat »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2876 on: March 19, 2023, 06:01:20 AM »
I think you assumed I was replying to you.  I wasn’t.  I understand your issue with the bearings and DM’d you a few days ago to get some more info.

Lol ok dude. You vagueposted a response to a post I made without actually quoting me or addressing me directly… so you could have plausible deniability?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Quantum_Bearing_Science

« Reply #2877 on: March 19, 2023, 06:57:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^^ this.
I bought the Atoms simply because of the good reviews in the thread. I wouldnt have heard about them otherwise. I am 3 months in and more than happy so far. That is also what I wrote in the thread. I just dont understand why you would take away that information just because things got a bit bumpy. People still appreciate your product and you have successfully advertised it to some of us here. But now that you got your feet on the ground with a few pros on board maybe the dirty ol SLAP messageboards are too critical of a place for you?

Not at all.  I’m still here.  And folks are more than welcome to post about the bearings.  I’ll check in from time to time and answer questions.  Maybe deleting the thread was a bit hasty. 
It had nothing to do with us having “our feet on the ground.”  We’re actually working harder than ever.

Expand Quote

[close]

Lol ok dude. You vagueposted a response to a post I made without actually quoting me or addressing me directly… so you could have plausible deniability?

It was in response to IUsedToSkateMore.  He said he had a bearing in each wheel that seized up.  I was really wanting to get to the cause of that problem.  Back in July (I figured out how to search for it after a few keywords) he said he was having a much better experience with the new bearings, that we sent him, after not having luck with a set from our earlier run.

If it’s bearing failure, after 9-10 months, that’s great information to have.  If they just need a good cleaning, that’s great too. 
Maybe I wasn’t clear.  You’ve said I implied “user error”.  That was really never the case.

Maybe trying to work through each issue that is brought up is too lofty a goal.  Maybe that’s why most don’t try.

Instagram
@quantumbearings

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2878 on: March 19, 2023, 07:32:28 AM »
Do you guys think I should risk taking this nut off to swap the bushings or nah?

worried i wont get it back on there...
ONTARIO CANADA

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2879 on: March 19, 2023, 07:45:11 AM »
Code: [Select]
The thread doesn't look too fucked up, I'd try loosening it first as a gauge of how bad it actually is. If removing it takes more force than usual then crank it back down and ride it till it's last grind.

I've rethreaded lots of axles but never kingpins before, the rethreaded axles are never 100% and always slightly off alignment
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m