Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216567 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3150 on: April 19, 2023, 09:47:53 AM »
Dwindle makes little kid completes with foam grip that my 2 year old loves.

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3151 on: April 19, 2023, 10:03:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm thinking of griptape alternatives..
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?
[close]

Little follow-up, went with the yoga mat. Could have used a sharper knife to cut it.
Did one for myself aswell.

[close]

Looks good!  What did you use to make it stick? My kid is almost that age
[close]

Just regular glue.
[close]

This is a good idea, my kid has already graduated to standing and stuff being as he is 10 now, but this would have saved me some heat from my Baby momma for sure, I’ve also seen that Lucas Puig has a new board company he started with lil riders in mind, they use cork grip on top though I wanna say they are called like mimmo boards or something like that, that may be another worthwhile grip alternative for kids

https://instagram.com/stories/kuusela23/3084493027320999820?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Here’s me fucking around with it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:11:16 AM by whale »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3152 on: April 19, 2023, 04:00:26 PM »
someone, or multiple people wanna give me an explanation about the differences between standard board shapes- ie, i really seem to like a board with more concave, steeper kicks, a more pronounced dip/wave (always just called that pop growing up) in the pocket, and a 14.5 WB.

what are the benefits of I guess flatter boards, different wheel bases, etc? or rather, what advantages do they provide? I Was just skating a board with flatter concave and flatter kicks and I hated it. threw together a heavily skated deck from last fall and my pop was vastly higher off the bat...

thank you for illuminating my ignorance
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

FBC91

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3153 on: April 19, 2023, 05:38:42 PM »
someone, or multiple people wanna give me an explanation about the differences between standard board shapes- ie, i really seem to like a board with more concave, steeper kicks, a more pronounced dip/wave (always just called that pop growing up) in the pocket, and a 14.5 WB.

what are the benefits of I guess flatter boards, different wheel bases, etc? or rather, what advantages do they provide? I Was just skating a board with flatter concave and flatter kicks and I hated it. threw together a heavily skated deck from last fall and my pop was vastly higher off the bat...

thank you for illuminating my ignorance

Generally speaking, a flatter board takes less effort to pop, at the cost of lower height, all else being equal.  A shorter wheelbase can make scooping tricks and manuals easier.

BTW, if you like decks with full concave and steep kicks, the globe g2 decks are good.  Resin 7 construction for 45 bucks.  They are stiff, though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3154 on: April 19, 2023, 07:49:59 PM »
Flat boards are more responsive and people like the catch.  Concaves can mess up some people’s flick.  Shorter wheel base makes the board more nimble and I think off axis tricks ie 3 flips are easier….

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #3155 on: April 20, 2023, 05:16:29 AM »
Dwindle makes little kid completes with foam grip that my 2 year old loves.
I got my 3 and 5 year old sons both one and they love it. And the other components aren't bad like the softer wheels and tensor trucks. And honestly the bearings are decent too.

postmodernpain

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3156 on: April 20, 2023, 05:28:48 AM »
Will degrees of steepness on the kicks become the new dimension that skaters are looking for brands to provide? I noticed Ben D busting out his digital angle finder in recent videos. I'm old and out of shape and tend to get a lot of ghost pop on a steep kick. Will skaters start demanding these dims from manufacturers as gear madness escalates? Or do most buyers care mostly about width, length, concave (and recently, wheelbase).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #3157 on: April 20, 2023, 06:25:47 AM »
People went bananas about the FA noses and didn’t need lasers to point them in the right direction….

I can’t say your average buyer is that nutty…..I’m gonna guess about 75% of skaters don’t know what wheelbase is… it’s the 25% that won’t shut the fuck up about it…l

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3158 on: April 20, 2023, 06:33:15 AM »
is Aesthetics: Ryde or Die vol. 1 the best skate video of the 2000s? I feel like this video really stands the test of time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3159 on: April 20, 2023, 06:46:36 AM »
I find flatter decks tend to work better if you're not good at delayed timing. For me growing up in low trucks and flat decks then taking a break and coming back to skating and going to Indy's and modern decks tricks were more 1-2 pop-slide. For certain flip tricks it felt harder to re-learn and get consistent.

I find with Thunders or trucks around the same height any steepness works more or less. With taller or heavier trucks like Indy or Venture cast you have a higher tendency to ghost pop or rocket things with steeper decks.

It's not super straightforward tho cuz sometimes for me a shorter, steeper deck pops similar to a longer flatter one. I think it might have to do with the lever length/when my front foot tends to level out.

manysnakes

« Reply #3160 on: April 20, 2023, 06:51:48 AM »
Will degrees of steepness on the kicks become the new dimension that skaters are looking for brands to provide? I noticed Ben D busting out his digital angle finder in recent videos. I'm old and out of shape and tend to get a lot of ghost pop on a steep kick. Will skaters start demanding these dims from manufacturers as gear madness escalates? Or do most buyers care mostly about width, length, concave (and recently, wheelbase).

A handful of nerds on Slap? Yeah, probably. The general skating population? Absolutely not.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3161 on: April 20, 2023, 07:17:43 AM »
Should someone skate switch across the country?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #3162 on: April 20, 2023, 07:19:18 AM »
Yes but you have to switch tre every 100 miles

PrairieSkater

« Reply #3163 on: April 20, 2023, 07:25:03 AM »
ID on Maité’s deck? (On the Right)

Banned from the room

« Reply #3164 on: April 20, 2023, 08:06:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes but you have to switch tre every 100 miles

I wish. Switch tre and switch bs flip are just not in my future. It hurts very badly.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3165 on: April 20, 2023, 08:08:16 AM »

Looks like a Pete's Pig I tried last year.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image

PrairieSkater

« Reply #3167 on: April 20, 2023, 09:20:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

her own board ?

https://mesaskatesupply.com/search?q=maite&options%5Bprefix%5D=last

Thanks. It looks a little rounder than those of hers on the site. I'm asking cause I've seen her skate different shapes like Beamers and Zip Zoggers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:28:58 AM by PrairieSkater »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #3168 on: April 20, 2023, 03:41:10 PM »
None of the boards on that Mesa skate supply look nearly as wide as the one that's in the photo posted. Her board looks like a 9.6" in that photo compared to Rodrigo's likely 8.1.

I don't think UMA has dropped anything above a 9" as far as I know. Happy to be corrected, though. Could be a sample shape she's running that's bigger than the 8.5, 8.6, or 8.7
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3169 on: April 20, 2023, 07:06:00 PM »
is Aesthetics: Ryde or Die vol. 1 the best skate video of the 2000s? I feel like this video really stands the test of time.

I like it's brevity and the Welsh part is untouchable, but Static 2 will be my favorite video from the era. Capturing an international scene in 1 video was really great.

Do we have a definitive ranking of griptape grittiness, on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the grittiest? My recent deck with Mob had me thinking that was the grittiest there was.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Pasta Monster

« Reply #3170 on: April 20, 2023, 07:11:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks. It looks a little rounder than those of hers on the site. I'm asking cause I've seen her skate different shapes like Beamers and Zip Zoggers.
It looks like a Heroin symmetrical shovel.

page for reference:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Heroin_Shovel_Helmet_Deck/descpage-HRSHDK.html

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #3171 on: April 20, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »
I probably missed it somewhere at some point (and don't really feel like making a thread) but did State Footwear go under?

PrairieSkater

« Reply #3172 on: April 20, 2023, 09:16:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
It looks like a Heroin symmetrical shovel.

page for reference:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Heroin_Shovel_Helmet_Deck/descpage-HRSHDK.html
That looks like the closest. Thanks dude. I wanted to try a new shape for the summer.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #3173 on: April 20, 2023, 09:37:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like it's brevity and the Welsh part is untouchable, but Static 2 will be my favorite video from the era. Capturing an international scene in 1 video was really great.

Do we have a definitive ranking of griptape grittiness, on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the grittiest? My recent deck with Mob had me thinking that was the grittiest there was.

Excellent point on the brevity

I was a big fan of five flavors, then the aforementioned aesthetics video (I bought Indys because of Joey Peppers, and his fakie ollie switch salad? Whatever that was, probably my favorite trick in the whole shit), static 2, last of the Mohicans, and moving in traffic, all felt connected, to me. I guess I also like ‘we did it’ a fair bit. None of the skating was ‘the best’, but it was…like the flip videos are still sick, but no one o knew even wanted to skate like that, even if they could. It was just too much.
I’m way out of it on this one.
Ryde or die is excellent.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3174 on: April 20, 2023, 10:56:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was a big fan of five flavors, then the aforementioned aesthetics video (I bought Indys because of Joey Peppers, and his fakie ollie switch salad? Whatever that was, probably my favorite trick in the whole shit), static 2, last of the Mohicans, and moving in traffic, all felt connected, to me. I guess I also like ‘we did it’ a fair bit. None of the skating was ‘the best’, but it was…like the flip videos are still sick, but no one o knew even wanted to skate like that, even if they could. It was just too much.

Static 2 with the Philly 4 with Ricky Oyola introduced me to skateboarding in unique ways and creative approaches to unconventional obstacles. Saw an Insta post recently revisiting the curved ledge that Rich Adler BS 50-50'd for his ender, that thing looks like a water park luge slide. And seeing Asian spots in a few of Kenny Reed clips was so nice to see.

Also - John Igei, Jack Sabback, Paul Shier, Welsh, Bobby Puleo

The title "The Invisibles" was appropriate since a lot of the guys were relatively unknown and you got to see late career of legends like Reed, Oyola and Puleo before their output dropped off.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3175 on: April 21, 2023, 01:59:39 AM »
None of the boards on that Mesa skate supply look nearly as wide as the one that's in the photo posted. Her board looks like a 9.6" in that photo compared to Rodrigo's likely 8.1.

I don't think UMA has dropped anything above a 9" as far as I know. Happy to be corrected, though. Could be a sample shape she's running that's bigger than the 8.5, 8.6, or 8.7

yeah it definitely seems bigger

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3176 on: April 21, 2023, 08:50:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Static 2 with the Philly 4 with Ricky Oyola introduced me to skateboarding in unique ways and creative approaches to unconventional obstacles. Saw an Insta post recently revisiting the curved ledge that Rich Adler BS 50-50'd for his ender, that thing looks like a water park luge slide. And seeing Asian spots in a few of Kenny Reed clips was so nice to see.

Also - John Igei, Jack Sabback, Paul Shier, Welsh, Bobby Puleo

The title "The Invisibles" was appropriate since a lot of the guys were relatively unknown and you got to see late career of legends like Reed, Oyola and Puleo before their output dropped off.

lol you know whats funny is static 2 was the only video i was truly considering to be in the same league as standing the test of time. lot of great great videos like mindfield, mosaic, baker 3, fully flared, yeah right, this is skateboarding, but those 2 are like really timeless to me (static2 + aesthetics)

for the griptape discussion, i was told that Mob was 70 grit, Jessup is 80 grit, and Shake Junt is somewhere in between. a long boarder shop owner told me this... anyway for those not in the know, the lower the grit - the more abrasive.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3177 on: April 21, 2023, 10:31:47 AM »
Mob is 60, Jessup is 80, Grizzly is 100

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3178 on: April 21, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »
Mob is 60, Jessup is 80, Grizzly is 100

thank you for giving us the truth
grizzly is 100 though, thats wild. lol that must feel like shit when its not brand new.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #3179 on: April 21, 2023, 12:49:48 PM »
anyone wanna venture a guess what pepper's grit # is?