Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 201859 times)

BALARGUE (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3330 on: May 16, 2023, 07:38:31 AM »
what would you guys say is the most soapy setup possible for noseslides?

Spitfire Classic 50mm, 101a

Venture Trucks? Do they have the chonkiest baseplate? Do you want a chunkier baseplate, or forged? All I know is, you don't want Thunders, the wheels drag way too much.

Shape of the nose > Would you want more Spoon? Im thinking less friction (and also better for popping up to crook which is the whole point of this setup in the first place) probably would have to be steep kick BBS Board
Nothing (made of aluminium) slides as crazy as the ace classic baseplate.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #3331 on: May 16, 2023, 07:46:15 AM »
Tagging big brands on Instagram - yes, or no?
Why and why not?

Just wondering, cause I see this often.

ThankyouVans (for this pair of shoes I payed full price for)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3332 on: May 16, 2023, 11:50:56 AM »

Venture Trucks? Do they have the chonkiest baseplate? Do you want a chunkier baseplate, or forged? All I know is, you don't want Thunders, the wheels drag way too much.

Shape of the nose > Would you want more Spoon? Im thinking less friction (and also better for popping up to crook which is the whole point of this setup in the first place) probably would have to be steep kick BBS Board

Get a slick.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #3333 on: May 16, 2023, 01:42:20 PM »
Why is my front foot often in the way or almost the shin when I want to do hardflips?

What am I doing wrong? I can do them when my foot is ridiculously far in the back of the board though.

Any idea?

manuduncan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #3334 on: May 16, 2023, 01:54:35 PM »
it's starting to get hot and i'm not a shorts wearer, what are some of your guys' best lightweight more breathable pants for skating? does anyone wear linen pants when skating

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #3335 on: May 16, 2023, 02:54:04 PM »
it's starting to get hot and i'm not a shorts wearer, what are some of your guys' best lightweight more breathable pants for skating? does anyone wear linen pants when skating

surf pants

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3336 on: May 16, 2023, 03:23:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i heard ace classic have shit pivot cup? has that been corrected yet?
maybe ill just get AF1 44 size. i am happy with how my AF1 60s noseslide - and its the same height as venture. i am really torn between these 2 brands now. i feel like ace makes more sense though cause i am more of a slappy rider and i like looser trucks. i really was set on thunders but after feeling how the wheels drag on noseslides, it was a deal breaker for me. maybe with classic wheels it would be better but i am not willing to take that gamble.
ONTARIO CANADA

roll_dog

« Reply #3337 on: May 16, 2023, 03:42:55 PM »

Bud, when you are considering skating in linen pants, it's time to switch to shorts

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #3338 on: May 18, 2023, 01:22:24 AM »
Which funny guy changed the description of the Shoes & Gear board?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3339 on: May 18, 2023, 02:26:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

surf pants

this

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3340 on: May 18, 2023, 07:12:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

surf pants
[close]

this

It appears you can even pee on them if it gets too hot for cooling purposes.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3341 on: May 18, 2023, 07:30:37 AM »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3342 on: May 18, 2023, 07:53:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

maybe ill just get AF1 44 size. i am happy with how my AF1 60s noseslide - and its the same height as venture. i am really torn between these 2 brands now. i feel like ace makes more sense though cause i am more of a slappy rider and i like looser trucks. i really was set on thunders but after feeling how the wheels drag on noseslides, it was a deal breaker for me. maybe with classic wheels it would be better but i am not willing to take that gamble.
The first batch of Af1 had the pivot cup problem, (some) classics have more of an axle bending problem.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #3343 on: May 18, 2023, 08:23:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Which funny guy changed the description of the Shoes & Gear board?
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126094.msg4011638#msg4011638

Mb, mind immediately jumped to Andrew Tate and thought someone was trolling the mods. Disregard my comment.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3344 on: May 18, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

surf pants
[close]

this
[close]

It appears you can even pee on them if it gets too hot for cooling purposes.
…just be sure to get good coverage when you pee on them (make sure you soak em real good in urine for even coloring & to avoid the appearance of “spotting”.
I read somewhere that can be problematic. 😉

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3345 on: May 19, 2023, 07:19:44 AM »

Shorts and socks to kinda take the brunt on shinners 

Higher the socks the downer the foo,foo

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3346 on: May 19, 2023, 07:21:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
The first batch of Af1 had the pivot cup problem, (some) classics have more of an axle bending problem.

Is the baseplate much different between AF1 and Classic?
Was also thinking Ace trucks bceause they suck the wheelbase in, i would think they make the most sense for noseslides as well / least drag.
ONTARIO CANADA

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3347 on: May 19, 2023, 08:09:35 AM »

I usually wear and skate in linen pants all summer long. Good linen is pretty tough, and I hate to get it damaged but also I buy clothes to wear, not to keep on a shelf in pristine condition. Usually the worst thing that happens is that I somehow flip into the pants and get some axle grease on them or otherwise sit on something gross, but all of my linen pants (four pairs) were purchased used for ~$20-40, so that keeps me from being too precious about them. The comfort in heat is unmatched, especially when there's a good breeze which is just wafting through your pants across your legs. Sometimes I worry that I look a little goofy, but also I'm a middle aged man on a skateboard so whatever.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3348 on: May 19, 2023, 12:59:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Was also thinking Ace trucks bceause they suck the wheelbase in, i would think they make the most sense for noseslides as well / least drag.
They're the same except the pivot cup, which makes them non interchangeable without changing the cups. AF1 hangers move around in the classic pivot cups, classic hangers are too fat for AF1 pivot cups.

I do not know how it actually feels if you change the pivot cups to fit the other hanger, haven't tried yet. Or even if the other pivot cups even fit the baseplate!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3349 on: May 19, 2023, 02:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
They're the same except the pivot cup, which makes them non interchangeable without changing the cups. AF1 hangers move around in the classic pivot cups, classic hangers are too fat for AF1 pivot cups.

I do not know how it actually feels if you change the pivot cups to fit the other hanger, haven't tried yet. Or even if the other pivot cups even fit the baseplate!

Different alloy though like the hangers in AF1s and Classics? I think that was the point in the initial recommendation.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #3350 on: May 19, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »
Found an old board at a thrift shop, and it had these sick af trucks on it. I gave them a lil love with a wire brush on my electric drill, and a few washers and bushings later they work out alright.

But what are they even?

Also, check out the sick wheels 62 x 62, 55 mm patch or some shit. They’re hard af, and centre offset. Simply marked “urethane”.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3351 on: May 19, 2023, 02:26:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Different alloy though like the hangers in AF1s and Classics? I think that was the point in the initial recommendation.
Absolutely yes, I was just talking about the measurements

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3352 on: May 19, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »
I wonder how Ishod shoe is selling
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3353 on: May 19, 2023, 03:03:26 PM »

I have only seen one pair in the wild so far...

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #3354 on: May 19, 2023, 03:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nike outlet near me is packed full of them for $49.99

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3355 on: May 19, 2023, 06:03:45 PM »
Found an old board at a thrift shop, and it had these sick af trucks on it. I gave them a lil love with a wire brush on my electric drill, and a few washers and bushings later they work out alright.

But what are they even?

Also, check out the sick wheels 62 x 62, 55 mm patch or some shit. They’re hard af, and centre offset. Simply marked “urethane”.

These were the beginner department store complete from the 80s, maybe still some around, but more often than not they are virtually extinct.  All budget no name parts that were cheaply made and were usually copies of one or more of the top brands of the day.  Mostly just fun to look at nowdays, but occasionally some bits still skate ok from them - very rarely though, so I would be careful if you are skating anything from that board in any normal way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #3356 on: May 19, 2023, 10:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nike outlet near me is packed full of them for $49.99

For most of 2022 it seems they sold well and I saw them almost every time I skated parks. I still see them somewhat often so I assume okay, but not as well as the first 6 months I reckon
Super Champion Fun Zone

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #3357 on: May 20, 2023, 12:30:37 AM »
Expand Quote

But what are they even?

[close]

These were the beginner department store complete  from the 80s, maybe still some around, but more often than not they are virtually extinct.  All budget no name parts that were cheaply made and were usually copies of one or more of the top brands of the day.  Mostly just fun to look at nowdays, but occasionally some bits still skate ok from them - very rarely though, so I would be careful if you are skating anything from that board in any normal way.

It’s as I expected then, thanks for confirming.
I thought maybe someone knew what kind of truck they were copies of. The geometry is weird, and they have a ton of lean. Road testing will ensue. I set them up on the 9” Orange eagle with 59mm 78a black kryptonics. It’s a cruiser. Thinking about fitting the rails, nose guard and tail block from the old board that went in the trash.

The original bushings must’ve been hella tall, as I had to shim up the regular sized ones with big washers.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3358 on: May 20, 2023, 04:06:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

But what are they even?

[close]

These were the beginner department store complete  from the 80s, maybe still some around, but more often than not they are virtually extinct.  All budget no name parts that were cheaply made and were usually copies of one or more of the top brands of the day.  Mostly just fun to look at nowdays, but occasionally some bits still skate ok from them - very rarely though, so I would be careful if you are skating anything from that board in any normal way.
[close]

It’s as I expected then, thanks for confirming.
I thought maybe someone knew what kind of truck they were copies of. The geometry is weird, and they have a ton of lean. Road testing will ensue. I set them up on the 9” Orange eagle with 59mm 78a black kryptonics. It’s a cruiser. Thinking about fitting the rails, nose guard and tail block from the old board that went in the trash.

The original bushings must’ve been hella tall, as I had to shim up the regular sized ones with big washers.

Old trucks used to have up to 17 mm bottom bushings and 14 mm top bushings - still have some NOS random brand bushing packs from when a shop closed, none of them trustworthy now though.

Seeing some of those now, they would never fit in modern / normal trucks.

There are some people who keep a lot of those sort of boards, more just for the memories of how crap some skateboards were from back then, but there isn't really any money in the cheap copy department store boards, certainly not like any old pro boards from back in the day.

It is pretty cool to see some of those and think that is how bad things used to be for kids (myself included) growing up learning on that as a first board.

Gotta start somewhere though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3359 on: May 20, 2023, 05:14:23 AM »
@Mbrimson88  bro you're such a resource, great to have you on the boards!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro