Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216463 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3660 on: July 17, 2023, 07:16:58 PM »
Is there a verdict on boards left in hot cars?

Decided to skate for the first time in ages after relationship stuff kicked my ass.

Ended up leaving my board in the car for like two weeks of mostly 80-90 temperatures.

Although warm, that might not be so bad as other times being well over 100.

Some cars, full sun or in direct sun through a big back window or similar, have caused boards to dry out a lot and delaminate or warp, but most are not that quick to cause any issues.

It helps if it was covered with anything, or if it was in a boot.

If you can easily see a warp, ply layers coming apart, more so through the kick area, or if it feels different, maybe an issue, otherwise carry on as usual and see if it skates ok and don't worry about it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3661 on: July 18, 2023, 12:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
How are lakai shoes? Im thinking about some telfords or cambridge.

Are they

-tts (size 11 half cab and blazer are my go to for fit)
-decently comfortable to walk in (last longer than vans)
[close]

I really have liked the Lakais I've had in the last couple years. I was a guy that skated nothing but Lakai, but honestly the quality went to such shit that I didn't touch the brand for like 8 years. The last 2 years I've pretty much skated nothing but Lakai or New Balance and I can honestly say Lakai is good again. Big fan of both the Telford and Cambridge and they both fit true to size (I'm also an 11). Skating the Telford Low right now and it's been holding up really well, and I'm a guy that doesn't shoe goo and probably tosses shoes much earlier than most. Been skating them for about a month and I haven't even ripped a stitch yet. And I do a good amount of flip tricks. The one weird thing I will say is that for some reason some of their leather shoes run a bit bigger and don't seem to fit as well. But I prefer suede anyway so I just only buy suede shoes from them. They keep sending me 20% off codes but I'm not buying anything else from them until the Griffin Gass shoe comes out.
Lakais are pretty solid, never had any issue except for that time they had that awful Select thing going on.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #3662 on: July 18, 2023, 03:42:05 AM »
Anyone knows the dimensions for the Atlantic Drift Jelly 8.25 decks? Or at least the wheelbase?
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3663 on: July 18, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »
What were the first skateboards meant for popping the tail? Vision / SMA / Santa Cruz / Powell Peralta?

Were these the first shapes that had concave?  I am watching Natas Streets of Fire from 1989 and it still looks like there is almost no concave to the board.

But then I saw Mike V skating his famous Animal Farm board in Rubbish Heap which is also from that same year. So it seems like that was the first board designed that had a nose in mind for popping off but also seems to have some concave to the side for doing flip tricks.

seems like for a few years after this, boards were looking more like this ^ in the transitionary period into popsicles. At some point Egg / Football shapes came into the game, i think around 1992 or 1993. I wonder if New Deal was the first one to do this shape or maybe it was someone else. Then was it World/Blind that made the first popsicle shapes as we basically know them today?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3664 on: July 18, 2023, 09:20:41 AM »
Anyone knows the dimensions for the Atlantic Drift Jelly 8.25 decks? Or at least the wheelbase?

If they are still using BBS they use the standard 8.25 mold, similar to Tactics, which is 8.25 x 31.875 x 14.25.

Isle deck measurements are all over the place on Tactics, so I usually the Tactics shop decks as reference
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #3665 on: July 18, 2023, 01:03:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they are still using BBS they use the standard 8.25 mold, similar to Tactics, which is 8.25 x 31.875 x 14.25.

Isle deck measurements are all over the place on Tactics, so I usually the Tactics shop decks as reference
Thanks mate, I just order one blind and hope for the best
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3666 on: July 20, 2023, 10:51:29 AM »
Has anyone frankentrucked venture hangers with thunder baseplates? I have a set of thunders I can't use since I stripped the thread on one of the axles badly and was thinking of trying it out

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
« Reply #3667 on: July 20, 2023, 11:28:18 AM »
Has anyone frankentrucked venture hangers with thunder baseplates? I have a set of thunders I can't use since I stripped the thread on one of the axles badly and was thinking of trying it out

I dunno if you'd want to.
I'm a Thunder rider and have been for years, but I know that the baseplate is considered Thunder's biggest weakness and what turns a lot of people off of them.
Ventures, from what I understand, have a harder, crunchier grind that some people don't like.

So that'd be kinda like taking the worst aspects of both brands and creating the ultimate suck truck haha

But, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a pinch? Shit, give it a shot and report your experience!

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #3668 on: July 20, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »
I think here is the opposite

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
« Reply #3669 on: July 20, 2023, 12:21:35 PM »
Nice, thanks for posting that!
I've considered trying the Thunder hanger/Venture baseplate frankentruck and that damn near seals the deal...especially if I can find a used pair of Ventures...

10staircoffin

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3670 on: July 20, 2023, 06:36:18 PM »
Can anyone recommend hats/caps that suit decent sized head? I used to have a bit of luck with some of the Deluxe brands but I swear they're moving to a purely small-head hat game.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3671 on: July 20, 2023, 07:39:19 PM »
Can anyone recommend hats/caps that suit decent sized head? I used to have a bit of luck with some of the Deluxe brands but I swear they're moving to a purely small-head hat game.

Sci-Fi Fantasy and GX1000 both fit well.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3672 on: July 21, 2023, 07:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think here is the opposite

that caption tho. man, he just doesn't explain the differences in the simplest way and give them off the bat. Has to word jargon around it.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3673 on: July 24, 2023, 03:06:18 PM »
but would you rather:

- skate the nigel 3s for a year (free, the lime green color way)
- skate disorder boards for a year (free, jah lets you craft your own shape but you cant sticker or otherwise remove graphic.  oh and its a new type of paint that doesnt scrape off but doesnt interfere with slides)
- skate only spots that he skates with him for a year (free travel to the spot, but you have to give him props whenever he lands a warm up trick)

?

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3674 on: July 24, 2023, 10:43:41 PM »
this is gonna sound stupid but I've never done anything like it before.... Would 8.5" trucks feel normal with a 8.625 or 8.75 deck? I've had 8.5" trucks on a 8.38 deck. Is 8.75 pushing it? I'm proficient at skateboarding, but I don't even know if I'm good (or picky) enough to feel the difference.
(Cool Trick GIF)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3675 on: July 25, 2023, 12:56:50 AM »
but would you rather:

- skate disorder boards for a year (free, jah lets you craft your own shape but you cant sticker or otherwise remove graphic.  oh and its a new type of paint that doesnt scrape off but doesnt interfere with slides)
- skate only spots that he skates with him for a year (free travel to the spot, but you have to give him props whenever he lands a warm up trick)

?
B for sure.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #3676 on: July 25, 2023, 01:06:05 AM »
but would you rather:

?

A-B-C if I could. I'd strive to be the new David Loy. All the haters can catch me sending at 6 A.M. in Nigels living room.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3677 on: July 25, 2023, 04:49:43 AM »
this is gonna sound stupid but I've never done anything like it before.... Would 8.5" trucks feel normal with a 8.625 or 8.75 deck? I've had 8.5" trucks on a 8.38 deck. Is 8.75 pushing it? I'm proficient at skateboarding, but I don't even know if I'm good (or picky) enough to feel the difference.
Didn't bother me, but i am kinda magic carpet enjoyer myself

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #3678 on: July 25, 2023, 05:39:33 AM »
I'd go as far as recommending 8.5 trucks on anything above 8.38. Even on a 9. Try it out for sure. Wider trucks can feel weird as fuck

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3679 on: July 25, 2023, 06:40:47 AM »
but would you rather:

?

B - A - C

Free shit for a year is fine by me, I don't see a clause on me not selling the shoes and decks. Plus there are lots of Nigel fan boys who'd pay for his stuff.

Watching him skate in person must be an incredible experience, but I don't think fake enthusiasm for an entire year. He seems to keep a busy skate schedule so I doubt I'd ever be able to skate for a year, let alone the handrails and stairs he skates almost exclusively.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #3680 on: July 25, 2023, 08:14:44 AM »
Expand Quote
but would you rather:

?
[close]

B - A - C

Free shit for a year is fine by me, I don't see a clause on me not selling the shoes and decks. Plus there are lots of Nigel fan boys who'd pay for his stuff.

Watching him skate in person must be an incredible experience, but I don't think fake enthusiasm for an entire year. He seems to keep a busy skate schedule so I doubt I'd ever be able to skate for a year, let alone the handrails and stairs he skates almost exclusively.
The clause is actually pretty clear. It's not boxes of 10 bloards next time to sell, it's the boards and shoes you skate all the time, and the graphic doesn't scratch off.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3681 on: July 25, 2023, 09:35:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
but would you rather:

?
[close]

B - A - C

[close]
The clause is actually pretty clear. It's not boxes of 10 bloards next time to sell, it's the boards and shoes you skate all the time, and the graphic doesn't scratch off.

Fine.

Skate them for 5 minutes and sell for 1/2 the retail price.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3682 on: July 25, 2023, 01:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd go as far as recommending 8.5 trucks on anything above 8.38. Even on a 9. Try it out for sure. Wider trucks can feel weird as fuck

thank you!
(Cool Trick GIF)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3683 on: July 26, 2023, 04:32:03 AM »
This kooky local I skate with regularly thinks that melting wax with a torch on ledges is the way to go. To me, it seems like it just melts into the pores of the concrete or just straight-up melts off. It's no longer on the surface anymore where it needs to be. I can visibly see the difference just looking at the surface of the ledge, but he's your typical know-it-all expert who can't be reasoned with. Am I totally wrong here or what? It feels like even in the hot sun the wax just melts off or into the ledge and becomes useless. I dunno I don't get it. Seems stupid. Maybe I'm stupid though. Someone chime in.

This is on an ancient skatepark ledge btw. Might be more appropriate for breaking in a new concrete ledge but still I am skeptical.

I think you’re right. I think blowtorching it would be counterproductive to what you want. Also seems like way too much extra work for no positive result.  I live in the south and when it gets so hot the wax melts my board sticks so bad I may as well just not skate the ledges.

231st Street

• Rep: -212
« Reply #3684 on: July 26, 2023, 05:02:41 AM »
Pangea jeans-- I think I've been sleeping on this and have been seeing them lately or noticing and the pants look nice.

I search the forum for background and couldn't find much (or on their website).  Anyone know who owners is/riders or where  I could go to try them on, or any thoughts on fit?  I like somewhat baggy but not crazy wide leg pants for skating.  I historically have stuck to basic khakis, volcom/vans type pants or Levis and trying to try something new-- in particular cuz all my broken in Levis are stained and I don't want to break in new Levis for skating.

Typically I'm a 32 x 32 at about 6 foot, 160-175 pound range depending on season/amount of skating, but will I end up with a goofy boy look (nothing wrong with that, but im a tall/skinny 37 year old, so doesn't really work) or normal 90s/2000s style comfortable skate pants? 

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3685 on: July 26, 2023, 11:25:41 AM »
Does anyone know what woodshop Terp is using for Swim? Says boards are made in Ohio so chapman/clutch? I like the look of their 8.25 shape and wanna make sure the board is decent quality

Banned from the room

« Reply #3686 on: July 26, 2023, 01:21:10 PM »
What were the first skateboards meant for popping the tail? Vision / SMA / Santa Cruz / Powell Peralta?

Were these the first shapes that had concave?  I am watching Natas Streets of Fire from 1989 and it still looks like there is almost no concave to the board.

But then I saw Mike V skating his famous Animal Farm board in Rubbish Heap which is also from that same year. So it seems like that was the first board designed that had a nose in mind for popping off but also seems to have some concave to the side for doing flip tricks.

seems like for a few years after this, boards were looking more like this ^ in the transitionary period into popsicles. At some point Egg / Football shapes came into the game, i think around 1992 or 1993. I wonder if New Deal was the first one to do this shape or maybe it was someone else. Then was it World/Blind that made the first popsicle shapes as we basically know them today?

My Barnyard bloards had various concaves and even seemed to have multiple shape changes in a relatively short time. Rubbish heaps the first one I think?

Shape was like a Vienna sausage. Not the best shape. I tried the double vision already. Both sucked kinda.

My Lee Burger was flatish. The nose was nice AF. I think my Richer MM was like the same shape as the Lee shape just wider maybe.
My favorite one was the Candy Bar or the elephant. Probably the same shape.

Powell had crazy concaves going deep into the 90s I think. The medallion was fucked. Was great for like fakie melons I guess. Big ass beyond hell concave. Horrendous nose. Was the shape of one of those plastic birds of prey people buy to scare away other birds.

I feel like only the die hard and new skaters was buying those things. Way out of vouge.

For Powell I liked the black "mini logo" street Hawk and the hill bulldog. Those was functional shapes with good concave.

Some of my 80s SC boards had crazy concaves. Zorlac was like folded in half concaves. And I think Salva Duane and Olson got the very first concave bloards in history.

I also feel like things started to flatten out around the World era.
I had all flat shit for a while if I could help it.

The bad era started with baby boards. I quit off and on for a while. Then I saw a Rick board in the window of the ski shop.
It had some concave. That my Oyola. The yellow Kite graphic. I liked it it was a good board to come back k on.

Board reminded me of the last iteration of the barnyard board a little. I had a ton of used Barnyards from Marbleheaders who got their parents to buy one and quit.

I wonder how long they ran those?

Also my new deal in my closet has cray concave. Its shape is not functional att all. It smavks of medallion and the PS miller dog graphic has very little concave bit I think it's a mini.

They are from around the same era give or take I think.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3687 on: July 26, 2023, 01:24:44 PM »
I like "W" concave the best.
Or "U"? Concave.

Flat in the center like a half pipe. With brand new dunks I'm not missing anything. All my flip tricks just work first t and then I chase that try all day like good lor man

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • Get bent
« Reply #3688 on: July 26, 2023, 01:35:02 PM »
Pangea jeans-- I think I've been sleeping on this and have been seeing them lately or noticing and the pants look nice.

I search the forum for background and couldn't find much (or on their website).  Anyone know who owners is/riders or where  I could go to try them on, or any thoughts on fit?  I like somewhat baggy but not crazy wide leg pants for skating.  I historically have stuck to basic khakis, volcom/vans type pants or Levis and trying to try something new-- in particular cuz all my broken in Levis are stained and I don't want to break in new Levis for skating.

Typically I'm a 32 x 32 at about 6 foot, 160-175 pound range depending on season/amount of skating, but will I end up with a goofy boy look (nothing wrong with that, but im a tall/skinny 37 year old, so doesn't really work) or normal 90s/2000s style comfortable skate pants?

Lol I’m 37 and wear nothing but butter santosuosso jeans and pangeas, deep into my Philly cosplay, as far as fit me and you are about the same height/weight and Jean size, I went a size up with the Pangeas as well as the butters, they taper quite a bit so you really don’t have to worry about looking goofy or having your jeans drag the ground, as far as finding them, you’ll prolly have to look for a stock list or some shit I already know my size so I just order them from whatever shop has them in stock online if I want a pair, I’d say get your size if you don’t wanna look too crazy and go up from there if you want a baggier jean, I’ve got a couple friends that just got their normal size and they don’t too crazy
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

231st Street

• Rep: -212
« Reply #3689 on: July 26, 2023, 05:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol I’m 37 and wear nothing but butter santosuosso jeans and pangeas, deep into my Philly cosplay, as far as fit me and you are about the same height/weight and Jean size, I went a size up with the Pangeas as well as the butters, they taper quite a bit so you really don’t have to worry about looking goofy or having your jeans drag the ground, as far as finding them, you’ll prolly have to look for a stock list or some shit I already know my size so I just order them from whatever shop has them in stock online if I want a pair, I’d say get your size if you don’t wanna look too crazy and go up from there if you want a baggier jean, I’ve got a couple friends that just got their normal size and they don’t too crazy

Awesome, thanks man!