Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216770 times)

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 04, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Nah, this guy needs Thunder Team Hollow 149s, riser optional.

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3721 on: August 05, 2023, 08:34:42 AM »
Nah, this guy needs Thunder Team Hollow 149s, riser optional.
The exact truck that is currently on my board haha
(Cool Trick GIF)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
« Reply #3722 on: August 07, 2023, 06:36:21 AM »
Does anybody have an idea as to how long spray can lacquer stays mixed after shaking the shit out of it? Specifically, there’s a curb that’s roughly a ten minute skate from my place, and I’m wondering how much the lacquer and propellant would separate (if at all) on the skate over there.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3723 on: August 07, 2023, 07:29:00 AM »
How "bad" are venture's really, on crusty ledges?
I dont vibe with Thunders anymore... too many issues like bent axle, broken kingpins....

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -315
« Reply #3724 on: August 07, 2023, 08:21:29 AM »
I dont vibe with Thunders anymore... too many issues like bent axle, broken kingpins....
Dane Barker, Josh Wilson, and Gilbert Crockett all seem to grind just fine on Ventures. Bobby skates Pulaski on Ventures.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #3725 on: August 07, 2023, 09:01:22 AM »
They bend and break exactly like thunders, which isn't a lot in my experience.
On the other hand, over the last few months I've seen a lot of people around me break thunder kingpins, so maybe something's going on right now.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
« Reply #3726 on: August 07, 2023, 09:02:35 AM »
Ventures grind just fine on crusty ledges and curbs, in my experience.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3727 on: August 07, 2023, 09:11:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Dane Barker, Josh Wilson, and Gilbert Crockett all seem to grind just fine on Ventures. Bobby skates Pulaski on Ventures.

everyone skates pulaski on Ventures. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was like a venture & krooked board wonderland. probably 75% of the locals were on that set up, it was awesome.

All that being said, I like my ventures they grind well imo

Pastasash

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3728 on: August 07, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

everyone skates pulaski on Ventures. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was like a venture & krooked board wonderland. probably 75% of the locals were on that set up, it was awesome.

fellow DC native here and my current set up is a Una Krooked with 5.6 V-Lights  8) It's the Bobby effect, Krooked's have been a DMV favorite for decades

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3729 on: August 07, 2023, 09:55:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

fellow DC native here and my current set up is a Una Krooked with 5.6 V-Lights  8) It's the Bobby effect, Krooked's have been a DMV favorite for decades

I loved it. I went to crushed to buy a board and you can ride any board you want as long as it's a bobby twin tail (shout out to crushed, guys were awesome). I bought a krooked but blew it by showing up to the plaza on thunders :(

Everyone was super friendly and the vibes were great on a hot friday summer evening

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3730 on: August 07, 2023, 09:58:52 AM »
They grind slower/slow down during the grind more. Papa Ben details this a lot, but you can go marginally faster or just lean into grinds differently to compensate. Its more of a learning curve, but the grind is an oft-cited negative regardless of what is trending.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3731 on: August 07, 2023, 03:42:46 PM »
Do you feel like you skate better with gear you're stoked on? Specifically regarding superficial parts of the set-up (graphics, wheel color, grip art, etc). Of course any noticeable difference is a placebo effect, but some boards are more fun to skate because the artwork is awesome and it gets me hyped to ride that board.

Say you got a new deck and the graphic is the most kickass art you've ever had on a board - are you having a better, or more productive, or more enjoyable session when you skate it? Or does that hype wear off when you throw down? Or does it not matter to you at all?

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3732 on: August 07, 2023, 06:26:07 PM »
Do you feel like you skate better with gear you're stoked on? Specifically regarding superficial parts of the set-up (graphics, wheel color, grip art, etc). Of course any noticeable difference is a placebo effect, but some boards are more fun to skate because the artwork is awesome and it gets me hyped to ride that board.

Say you got a new deck and the graphic is the most kickass art you've ever had on a board - are you having a better, or more productive, or more enjoyable session when you skate it? Or does that hype wear off when you throw down? Or does it not matter to you at all?

Absolutely, 100% without a doubt.

Simple or silly as that is, that is the way of it for myself, as well as a few other people I know, when we have talked about it.

Sometimes it can be the smallest thing too, like a ding in the board, or scratch in the grip that will bug me to no end at a specific time, but will not worry me the least at other times too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3733 on: August 07, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »
What causes decks to warp? Moisture? Pressed incorrectly? Too much / little glue? Stacking?

Don't think I've ever skated a warped one and wouldn't be able to tell if I got 1.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3734 on: August 07, 2023, 06:49:18 PM »
What causes decks to warp? Moisture? Pressed incorrectly? Too much / little glue? Stacking?

Don't think I've ever skated a warped one and wouldn't be able to tell if I got 1.

More often than not it is from heat, or incorrect storage, but I feel like there must be something in either the process or the wood itself that tends to cause more issues.

Often boards left on the wall or in shop windows, especially sun facing, tended to warp more than others, but other times, it is just seemingly random that quite a few boards from a run will warp more than others.

To stand on a warped board, or even putting on on a counter, it will tilt more one way than the other, or if set up, one wheel is often off the ground, when trucks are in a normal position.  Most of the time it is not so bad, but some boards will definitely feel weird if they warp a certain way for how you stand on a board, eg front heel side sitting up more than the toe can be the worst one.

People will often have different ways of dealing with it, but I offset a board on a flat surface, like a garage, with small pieces of wood, then weigh it down under other boards and put bricks on top and leave it for a week, which pushes it the other way and evens it out.  I have had almost all the boards come back to straight or almost straight from this and skated well, but some just can't be helped and will warp back again in no time.  They are the ones I think there was something in the wood that makes them do that, more so than an environmental factor at play.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 288
« Reply #3735 on: August 07, 2023, 08:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I loved it. I went to crushed to buy a board and you can ride any board you want as long as it's a bobby twin tail (shout out to crushed, guys were awesome). I bought a krooked but blew it by showing up to the plaza on thunders :(

Everyone was super friendly and the vibes were great on a hot friday summer evening
DC area fam here. Just stopping by to say Crushed is a great shop. Brian and all the associates are really good dudes. (and that I skate ventures)

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #3736 on: August 07, 2023, 10:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Simple or silly as that is, that is the way of it for myself, as well as a few other people I know, when we have talked about it.

Sometimes it can be the smallest thing too, like a ding in the board, or scratch in the grip that will bug me to no end at a specific time, but will not worry me the least at other times too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3737 on: August 07, 2023, 10:10:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

More often than not it is from heat, or incorrect storage, but I feel like there must be something in either the process or the wood itself that tends to cause more issues.

Often boards left on the wall or in shop windows, especially sun facing, tended to warp more than others, but other times, it is just seemingly random that quite a few boards from a run will warp more than others.

To stand on a warped board, or even putting on on a counter, it will tilt more one way than the other, or if set up, one wheel is often off the ground, when trucks are in a normal position.  Most of the time it is not so bad, but some boards will definitely feel weird if they warp a certain way for how you stand on a board, eg front heel side sitting up more than the toe can be the worst one.

People will often have different ways of dealing with it, but I offset a board on a flat surface, like a garage, with small pieces of wood, then weigh it down under other boards and put bricks on top and leave it for a week, which pushes it the other way and evens it out.  I have had almost all the boards come back to straight or almost straight from this and skated well, but some just can't be helped and will warp back again in no time.  They are the ones I think there was something in the wood that makes them do that, more so than an environmental factor at play.

It's not sun facing the boards most likely it's the way they were pressed and cured. Wood glue melting temp is far above the temp of a board in a window- skating outside on a hot day in the sun would be hotter. It is likely a combo of things, but probably not as much pressure when pressed or moved to cure and there is something with the way the glue disperses or potential moisture in the veneers.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3738 on: August 07, 2023, 10:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really wish. My last setup was something I was really stoked on but I skated terrible on it and snapped it on a flat ground Tre flip. What I'm riding now is the opposite in terms of stoke and quality.

Phillyflared

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3739 on: August 07, 2023, 10:27:45 PM »
Been looking to make some skate storage in back of my car for boards and curious what anyone else has going? I have Impreza for reference
Looking for inspo/refernece reminded me of Dyrdek's UAV from a 411vm way back when. It was all murdered out and fully kitted out w/places for a generator/boards/flatbar bolted to frame underneath. Think it was a Suburban or something.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #3740 on: August 08, 2023, 12:13:55 AM »
Been looking to make some skate storage in back of my car for boards and curious what anyone else has going? I have Impreza for reference
Looking for inspo/refernece reminded me of Dyrdek's UAV from a 411vm way back when. It was all murdered out and fully kitted out w/places for a generator/boards/flatbar bolted to frame underneath. Think it was a Suburban or something.

I've been debating buying storage crate/block things to place in the trunk to better organize essentials and skate gear (2017 Civic here)

I've tried to pause videos of those suburbans/vans that skate brand TMs run for ideas
Super Champion Fun Zone

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3741 on: August 08, 2023, 12:38:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
100%
Sometimes you have shoes that when you look down to pop a trick you're like "damnnnn" and sometimes "damn..."
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3742 on: August 08, 2023, 01:54:55 AM »

I was thinking about this awhile ago. When I am really stoked about my deck or shoes, I tend to skate a bit more carefully since I don't want to destroy anything too fast. At least in the beginning of the life span of those products.
When I am semi stoked about something I skate a bit more reckless. Now you could think, if I would get a Plan B deck and Cariuma shoes I would be hucking halfcab flips down El Toro, but that's not how that works. ^^

What bugs me too no end are vertical scratches across decks, don't know why that is, but that's a real inconvenience. That's when I pull out the boardslides on ledges.
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3743 on: August 08, 2023, 03:34:09 AM »
Anybody skated Telfords recently? Found a pair in a nice color for a decent-ish price
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3744 on: August 08, 2023, 04:00:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's not sun facing the boards most likely it's the way they were pressed and cured. Wood glue melting temp is far above the temp of a board in a window- skating outside on a hot day in the sun would be hotter. It is likely a combo of things, but probably not as much pressure when pressed or moved to cure and there is something with the way the glue disperses or potential moisture in the veneers.

while you're right that process, curing and moisture play a larger role in warping, you don't need glue to literally melt to alter the quality of the bonding with wood. It's still recommended to avoid temperature variations when you're storing plywood.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3745 on: August 08, 2023, 04:03:11 AM »
Anybody skated Telfords recently? Found a pair in a nice color for a decent-ish price

If you can get them for under 80 bucks, they are fine.
But do yourself a favor and get those newer ones with the XLK outsole. It's the same outsole they use for the Atlantic shoe for example. The first outsole they used on the Telford isn't that good in my experience.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

« Reply #3746 on: August 08, 2023, 04:49:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you can get them for under 80 bucks, they are fine.
But do yourself a favor and get those newer ones with the XLK outsole. It's the same outsole they use for the Atlantic shoe for example. The first outsole they used on the Telford isn't that good in my experience.

I have no idea which ones I had, but I skated some Telfords and they were good but the sole definitely wore out super quick. But yeah, otherwise they were a great shoe and I’d skate them again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3747 on: August 08, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

while you're right that process, curing and moisture play a larger role in warping, you don't need glue to literally melt to alter the quality of the bonding with wood. It's still recommended to avoid temperature variations when you're storing plywood.

That makes sense.

From my comment on the sun in the shop window, I have this to add.

A certain shop I used to be around a bit would often have a few boards in the front window and more often than not those boards, especially the one stood up on an angle right in the corner would always end up so badly warped that it became a game to see what happened to that board in the corner.

Sure enough almost every single brand, different woodshops, checked to be nice and straight, then left long enough would end up warped to some degree, some way more than others, which was fun to see but sucked for anyone who wanted the board from the window.

I made a point of telling anyone keen on that board to check if it was warped, but I know others were happy to sell whatever was there if the person was keen enough without a second thought, which I didn't particularly agree with, but it wasn't my shop so there was not a whole lot I could say anyway.

Another shop I worked at had complete board racks in full morning sun every day (no window tinting or anything there either so the front room got pretty warm) and some of those completes left long enough would always end up warped too.

Sure it wouldn't happen to every board left in direct sunlight, but I make sure I don't have anything I care about in direct sun for too long anywhere I go.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #3748 on: August 08, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »
How much do likes actually help YouTube channels, just watched the pier 7 episode on Thrasher and noticed 3.5k likes but 77k views, despite never hearing a bad word about it, like everyone in the comments loves it plus on here.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3749 on: August 08, 2023, 10:53:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely- you never want huge swings and it doesn't have to fully melt. I think that boards sitting in a shop even with sun on them is less likely to cause that then them sitting in some kind of storage container during shipping. A really hot car trunk in somewhere like Phoenix would likely be the worst high swing I can think of, but most cars, houses, shops, and garages are probably fine.

I think people are more quick to blame their local environment on warping than construction, but I'd think that rushing construction is more likely. I remember during the Covid drought people were reporting on here that they had a lot of BBS decks breaking or having issue and I was talking to a shop owner last week that noted that a lot of warped boards were coming out of there during the pandemic too. I wonder if the process was rushed just to get stuff out.