Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210084 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3990 on: September 30, 2023, 05:05:59 PM »
If you get the opportunity to try a React insole in a Vans skate vulc you should give it a try. The insoles are the same height and I really liked them in Half Cabs.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #3991 on: September 30, 2023, 09:40:29 PM »
Tips on removing grip tape adhesive residue?
 Not wanting to sand it off, acetone, lacquer thinner, and miners spirits is fine on steel, not good on wood. I’m still going to need to grip it and it’s not going black top so trying to get it back to clean. Any tried and trues appreciated.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #3992 on: September 30, 2023, 09:49:57 PM »
 Not wanting to sand it off, acetone, lacquer thinner, and miners spirits is fine on steel, not good on wood. I’m still going to need to grip it and it’s not going black top so trying to get it back to clean. Any tried and trues appreciated.

Peanut butter and elbow grease works for regular sticker adhesive. I suspect it will do the same for grip tape
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3993 on: October 01, 2023, 05:41:32 AM »

I used WD-40 and a piece of flat plastic with good results but I didn't regrip I wall hung it so dunno if it interferes with re-gripping.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #3994 on: October 01, 2023, 06:07:12 AM »

She-bear spit and the grille of a Studebaker

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3995 on: October 01, 2023, 04:51:07 PM »

I have had and seen quite a few struggles with similar things, but I found it was just best to regrip straight over the residue and not try to clean it off.  This was always black or non clear grip, so if you are wanting to put clear grip or something a little more fancy in the grip cut out / art options on it, that might not be such a good idea.

Comes down to what will work fairly easily, vs what is just going to be a real time consuming pain that might not even give the desired results, if the clear grip is not going to stick well afterwards, which is what I found with some grip after cleaning off the board completely.  The cleaning products still left their own residue and took off the top graphic along with the old grip, for one setup I saw someone else try too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3996 on: October 01, 2023, 05:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used WD-40 and a piece of flat plastic with good results but I didn't regrip I wall hung it so dunno if it interferes with re-gripping.
Goo Gone left to soak for maybe 10 minutes max and then elbow grease and a rag should probably work also.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #3997 on: October 01, 2023, 07:19:40 PM »
one of those citrus based cleaners. in australia it's called orange power, i'm sure you have something similar.

not having a go at you, but why do people want to regrip their boards?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #3998 on: October 01, 2023, 10:23:31 PM »
one of those citrus based cleaners. in australia it's called orange power, i'm sure you have something similar.

Bought a new unskated deck but it was gripped and I always do my scrap crap grip jobs. If I don’t it’s not my board.
@Mbrimson88 yeah, if I was going full grip it wouldn’t be an issue but there’s going to be lots of cuts so it’d just grab dirt and look like crap after a second of riding.

I’ve heard Ronson lighter fluid(liquid kind for zippos) can work on sticker residue but was hoping to hear from someone else that may have used it. If worse comes to worse I can just try an eraser wheel on it. I mean it works on cars for removing stickers, vinyl stripes, and double back tape but I’m worried it may burn the wood since it’s such a big area.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3999 on: October 01, 2023, 11:04:59 PM »
Personally, I will never regrip a board. The juice is literally never worth the squeeze given the process.

That said, I'm taking notes in case some freak scenario occurs where I do have to regrip to keep skating until a new board can be set up
Super Champion Fun Zone

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #4000 on: October 02, 2023, 12:35:13 AM »
I used to be in the "never gonna regrip my board" camp for ages, but then I did it once for a deck that still had some life to it but had a really shitty grip in shitty condition.

I skated that board for a long time after that, and now I'm def on the regrip camp whenever a deck outlasts a grip. It's actually not that huge an effort once you get the hang of it.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4001 on: October 02, 2023, 02:13:03 AM »
I used to be in the "never gonna regrip my board" camp for ages, but then I did it once for a deck that still had some life to it but had a really shitty grip in shitty condition.

I skated that board for a long time after that, and now I'm def on the regrip camp whenever a deck outlasts a grip. It's actually not that huge an effort once you get the hang of it.
For me the trick is to not use the free grip included since, usually, is a waste of time
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #4002 on: October 02, 2023, 02:38:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
For me the trick is to not use the free grip included since, usually, is a waste of time

I don't do that either anymore, but sometimes even a good grip can die before the deck.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4003 on: October 02, 2023, 03:09:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I don't do that either anymore, but sometimes even a good grip can die before the deck.

I think regripping can be strangely quite an enjoyable process, especially if you're trying out/setting-up secondhand decks from eBay etc. I got into the habit of doing it quite regularly when trying out new deck sizes regularly on the cheap. Hairdryer, fresh Stanley blade, (some patience) and you're good to go.

I also back the comment that cheaper/free grip isn't really worth it, I made the mistake of specifically using Enuff griptape for quite along time when re-gripping until recently, I found it went quite easy on my shoes in terms of wear and tear and thought that was perfect for me. However, when I eventually stuck with the same set-up for a while I discovered it went bald pretty quickly and resulted in re-gripping being required. Moved on to Jessups now and it seems good/more durable!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4004 on: October 02, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »
I have a question regarding Etnies and Emerica shoes.
I am aware the sizing is different across various shoe models. But is there a sizing difference within the same shoe model? Etnies Marana for example. Does that shoe always fit the same, regardless of color or material?
IG: @flowterspace

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4005 on: October 02, 2023, 12:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
why are fs disasters scary as hell/harder to do once learning bs disasters? anyone experience this? lol
my transition skills are limited btw but i had fs disasters for a while now. recently unlocked bs disasters and loving them, but can't for the life of me do a single fs one in a sesh

#post666 #hellride
[close]

I'm fairly consistent at both directions, but doing BS disaster on bigger stuff takes more guts for me. Personally, I think my FS are kinda gross but I toss one on the biggest QP most sessions just to retain them.

What's tripping you up?
for some reason it just feels more scary to commit to once I learned bs

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4006 on: October 02, 2023, 01:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
why are fs disasters scary as hell/harder to do once learning bs disasters? anyone experience this? lol
my transition skills are limited btw but i had fs disasters for a while now. recently unlocked bs disasters and loving them, but can't for the life of me do a single fs one in a sesh

#post666 #hellride
[close]

I'm fairly consistent at both directions, but doing BS disaster on bigger stuff takes more guts for me. Personally, I think my FS are kinda gross but I toss one on the biggest QP most sessions just to retain them.

What's tripping you up?
[close]
for some reason it just feels more scary to commit to once I learned bs

I guess my only advice would be to start back small and work them up, even scooting em on banks or mellow spots might help get confidence back on doing the motion. Could always skate perpendicular to a curb and do ollie 180 lip/disaster, that could help solidify foot placement. or deck check roll-ins might be helpful.

just some thoughts. hope you get em back!

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4007 on: October 02, 2023, 01:38:13 PM »
I have a question regarding Etnies and Emerica shoes.
I am aware the sizing is different across various shoe models. But is there a sizing difference within the same shoe model? Etnies Marana for example. Does that shoe always fit the same, regardless of color or material?

I've skated 10+ and own 10+ maranas currently and I'd wager over 95% of my Maranas have fit identical to each other. I have a couple models that are a bit more snug in the toe, but one of those is a full leather, and the other is suede like every other colorway They usually release. Leather may fit tighter than usual but suede should be consistent each time with slight variability.

That toe cap on the Marana is great but can be rough to break in for some since it can make the shoe fit tighter than expected at first
Super Champion Fun Zone

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4008 on: October 02, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »
re: regrip...what helps me is cross gripping ie. horizontal, pieces are easier to get off than full grip. . Its not a bad idea especially over the winter....

On front d/back d....back d is an extended axel stall, front d is rather a pushed out frontside grind ie. slash or ollie from down low up to disaster....IMO they are very different tricks. 

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4009 on: October 02, 2023, 03:10:08 PM »
re: regrip...what helps me is cross gripping ie. horizontal, pieces are easier to get off than full grip. . Its not a bad idea especially over the winter....

On front d/back d....back d is an extended axel stall, front d is rather a pushed out frontside grind ie. slash or ollie from down low up to disaster....IMO they are very different tricks.

i'd agree with that. for bs (slide or stall) I usually just whip the tail around, with a lil bump off the cope, find that center and take it in. fs I'll tend to ollie as opposed to bumping the coping, for disaster anyway. Ollieing into a fs lipslide on a qp is kinda funky to me, mostly bump or edge out to the sldie
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4010 on: October 02, 2023, 03:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bought a new unskated deck but it was gripped and I always do my scrap crap grip jobs. If I don’t it’s not my board.
@Mbrimson88 yeah, if I was going full grip it wouldn’t be an issue but there’s going to be lots of cuts so it’d just grab dirt and look like crap after a second of riding.

I’ve heard Ronson lighter fluid(liquid kind for zippos) can work on sticker residue but was hoping to hear from someone else that may have used it. If worse comes to worse I can just try an eraser wheel on it. I mean it works on cars for removing stickers, vinyl stripes, and double back tape but I’m worried it may burn the wood since it’s such a big area.

Yes those in between areas end up a big mess.  Even when people don't peel off the warning sticker fully and the sticker residue leaves a mess in between racing stripes or similar, it looks messy.

I often pick up boards from others that are sometimes brand new, great deck, terrible grip job or just grip in a brand / colour / graphic or some weird thing on the grip that means the grip has to go, so off it comes and there is no way I can get a lot of whatever is still stuck to the board off, especially with Shake Junt grip, so although I still use pieces to give lines, I have zero gaps whatsoever on those boards.

That might be an option, although it can be a pain if you are cutting things up and like gaps between them.

Also totally get it when you say, if you haven't gripped it how you usually do, it is not your board - even having lines in different areas to where I often do makes a board weird to ride, like it is someone else's board and not my own.

Good luck with the process and I am sure as others have said, it would be interesting to hear / see results.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4011 on: October 02, 2023, 07:43:35 PM »
Do Ace bushings fit in the Indy Stage 4's/215's?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #4012 on: October 02, 2023, 08:12:42 PM »
https://skatesamples.com/

Anybody know the wheelbase of the 8.5 boards of these generator blanks? 14.5 or 14.38? Or could it be 14.25?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4013 on: October 02, 2023, 08:22:40 PM »
https://skatesamples.com/

Anybody know the wheelbase of the 8.5 boards of these generator blanks? 14.5 or 14.38? Or could it be 14.25?

I believe they send out their standard shape - 8.38 x 32 x 14.38, 8.5 x 32.25 14.5

Pulled from Tactics who also use their standard BBS shapes for their shop decks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4014 on: October 02, 2023, 08:25:20 PM »
Perfect, couldn't find that chart on their site. Thanks

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4015 on: October 02, 2023, 08:31:38 PM »
Perfect, couldn't find that chart on their site. Thanks

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4016 on: October 03, 2023, 10:26:54 AM »
Do Ace bushings fit in the Indy Stage 4's/215's?
Maybe somebody has a better answer but they are both taller than stage 11 height so my guess is probably. Indy also released their full line of aftermarkets in that height now too so you got that going for you.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4017 on: October 03, 2023, 07:23:07 PM »
Does anyone have the dimensions of the Clutch O9 (8.5) shape? The O8 I have is 8.38 x 31.75 x 14.25, standard dimensions but I wish it was closer to a 32.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #4018 on: October 03, 2023, 08:15:31 PM »
Anyone know what shape supreme uses? Specifically for their 8.25. Is it like a dlx shape or closer to an of the shelf bbs?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4019 on: October 03, 2023, 08:33:38 PM »
Anyone know what shape supreme uses? Specifically for their 8.25. Is it like a dlx shape or closer to an of the shelf bbs?

off the shelf bbs, should be 8.25 14.25