Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216552 times)

SupremePizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4470 on: December 27, 2023, 08:04:22 AM »
Between length and wb which impacts 360 flips more? My current Gx1000 8.38 seems to pop higher for me than my previous 8.25 FA however I'm finding 360 flips a lot harder and more tiring to get the rotation

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #4471 on: December 27, 2023, 08:25:40 AM »
WB is likely a more important factor than overall length in tre flips but tail length and tail shape play a role also.

manysnakes

« Reply #4472 on: December 27, 2023, 08:35:56 AM »
Yeah, there are really too many variables to make a declarative statement, but I've found that shorter boards with smaller wheelbase work better for me. I think a tall skater with long femurs might not find this to be the case at all.

For whatever it's worth, the best all-around kickflipping deck I've ever owned was probably the Crail Loveseat shape.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4473 on: December 27, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
what kind of shorts do yall skate in (no jorts)
god i hate jorts

Wrangler is always a safe bet. All products. They have that U crotch construction that's near impossible to beat.
All my favorite shorts and pants was made by them.

But Im a fool for button flies.
I believe nothing is sexier than button flys on ALL HUMANS. It does not matter what you got in there it's way more exciting to unbutton that shit than unzip it.

Details are what matters.

Think about it. Pop.... Pop.... Pop... Pop.... Oooooooooooooo.
Vs Zip ooooo.

Zippers hurt and are a bitch to fix too.

So my absolute #1 is short black or indigo 501s original fit but I'm altering that fit within 10 wears.

Or I'm just going with these

Battle dress uniform 65% polyester 35% cotton sb78995.

I rock the pants then I cut them at the middle of the knee.
They button fly but they're built for speed dressing.

I'm in a bad mood today.

Everything is war today  :-\

WEAR BUTTON FLYS BE NICE TO YOURE JUNK

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #4474 on: December 27, 2023, 10:26:57 AM »
why come hockey hasn't issued graphics taken from the screen grab of the opening heist in the movie heat?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #4475 on: December 27, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
why come hockey hasn't issued graphics taken from the screen grab of the opening heist in the movie heat?

They could do a Twin Tail AA board with Deniro on one tail and Pacino on the other!

Maybe a MM for Michael Man for a top graphic. Damn, I need a new job...

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4476 on: December 27, 2023, 11:39:16 AM »

Not that it's stopped brands in the past, but copyright issues.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4477 on: December 27, 2023, 12:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They could do a Twin Tail AA board with Deniro on one tail and Pacino on the other!

Maybe a MM for Michael Man for a top graphic. Damn, I need a new job...
They even shot Heat in a skate graphic friendly aspect ratio. Just take any screengrab from the first heist scene boom it's a Hockey graphic. Maybe it's just too on the nose?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #4478 on: December 29, 2023, 07:11:50 PM »
Are dipped boards still bad? Thinking of grabbing a dipped Heroin but in high school the two dipped boards I rode felt shitty and soft and like price point boards in disguise which put me off forever.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4479 on: December 29, 2023, 08:03:31 PM »
Between length and wb which impacts 360 flips more? My current Gx1000 8.38 seems to pop higher for me than my previous 8.25 FA however I'm finding 360 flips a lot harder and more tiring to get the rotation
WB.

Think of how much weight is from your trucks vs. the nose or tail.

It’s going to take way more energy to move the board around the further the trucks are out from the center. 

If you haven’t before, watch some Ben Degros videos. He breaks all the physics type stuff down really well… and it’s stuff I wish I knew about when I was younger.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4480 on: December 29, 2023, 09:55:41 PM »
does boiling bushings actually soften them?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4481 on: December 30, 2023, 02:34:58 AM »

it might not answer your question but these videos can give you some food for thought

https://www.youtube.com/@whythetrick

wheelbase video

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4482 on: December 30, 2023, 04:07:41 AM »
WB likely has more of a direct effect than length for 360 flips. I say this because kick steepness, kick length, and overall concave give you leverage to perform 360 flips the way you desire, but a WB that is too long will almost always negate the rest of the leverage you're exerting to perform the 360 flip. Inversely, shorter WB will likely make the 360 flip whip around much faster while exerting the leverage I previously mentioned.

My personal experience is anecdotal, so I could be completely off but my own logic led me to this conclusion after trying WB from 13.75 up to 14.63 and leading me to find my ideal range is 14.25 - 14.5. At 5' 10" with longer legs than torso this checks out
Super Champion Fun Zone

Curbfiend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4483 on: December 30, 2023, 05:22:52 AM »
Are dipped boards still bad? Thinking of grabbing a dipped Heroin but in high school the two dipped boards I rode felt shitty and soft and like price point boards in disguise which put me off forever.

Depends on the company. I got a swampy pro model egg from heroin thats dipped black and it feels just as good as any other heroin board ive ridden in the past.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #4484 on: December 30, 2023, 06:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it might not answer your question but these videos can give you some food for thought

wheelbase video

The dude behind these videos is bad at both skating and physics

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4485 on: December 30, 2023, 06:29:37 AM »
WB likely has more of a direct effect than length for 360 flips. I say this because kick steepness, kick length, and overall concave give you leverage to perform 360 flips the way you desire, but a WB that is too long will almost always negate the rest of the leverage you're exerting to perform the 360 flip. Inversely, shorter WB will likely make the 360 flip whip around much faster while exerting the leverage I previously mentioned.

My personal experience is anecdotal, so I could be completely off but my own logic led me to this conclusion after trying WB from 13.75 up to 14.63 and leading me to find my ideal range is 14.25 - 14.5. At 5' 10" with longer legs than torso this checks out

i like your reasoning, it doesn’t square with my lived experience.
i learned 360 flips in the 7.5 era. 7.5x14x31.
i’ve since messed around with setups so much i don’t know what is my ideal range, but there seems to me, to be some more information that i don’t have related to possibly tail length, setup height to length and weight ratios….because i’ve had some huge weird setups (9x14.75x32.5+ on 169s) 360 flip at least as well as the small boards. and i’m a short person with even shorter legs.
i’m not sure wb is as important as it’s been made to be. i don’t know what the more important answer is, maybe overall length is more important, i don’t know.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4486 on: December 30, 2023, 07:57:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

wheelbase video

[close]
i would not say his skateboarding is bad
who would take physics lessons from a pro skateboarder anyway ?
the interesting part is the modeling and mechanical reasoning here

care to elaborate about him being bad at physics ? i don't see it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 08:05:11 AM by BALARGUE »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #4487 on: December 30, 2023, 10:06:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

wheelbase video

[close]
[close]
i would not say his skateboarding is bad
who would take physics lessons from a pro skateboarder anyway ?
the interesting part is the modeling and mechanical reasoning here

care to elaborate about him being bad at physics ? i don't see it.
It was a video about wheel size that made me unsubscribe. He talked about weight difference, modeled the extra weight of much bigger wheels as spread evenly over the board and concluded that the difference is negligible.
How can you skate and say there's basically no difference between riding 50 and 54mm wheels? And it's not even about the weight, pop feel is the main change that needs to be mentioned.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4488 on: December 31, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »

Once I had figured out that it seemed most if not all dipped boards were the all natural / price point feeling wood, I stopped getting them too.  I am thinking Black Label on PS Stix back in the mid 2000s where people had barely scratched graphics and came back in due to board breakage, same on one I skated, just as examples of that era and I didn't break boards much during that time at all.

More recently though, especially from some different woodshops, they have been good, example FA / Hockey boards were still the usual wood, some stained just like the normal ones and no issues, as were some Birdhouse shaped boards, which had top and bottom stains, full dip in white, blue and red. 

I also have a second hand Heroin Mutant egg variation deck that is holding up well, full green paint, I think on all natural ply, so you should be good there.

Definitely different product than what was around before.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4489 on: January 02, 2024, 07:51:42 AM »
Anyone know what's up with HUF? The EU shop is gone now and they try to get you to order from the states with insane shipping now..

apbarbs

• Rep: 50
« Reply #4490 on: January 04, 2024, 06:35:18 AM »
i've never been able to switch flip or switch heel
i can kickflip consistently and heelflips depend on the day
have an ok switch ollie, on a good day can go up and down the 3

not really making any progress on learning to flip my board switch, it rarely does the flip
i'm on 8.25 with medium trucks

is it dumb to try skating e.g. an 8 with tight trucks just to try to learn these? or should i just suck it up and chalk it all up to needing to refine the technique?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4491 on: January 04, 2024, 08:08:54 AM »
i've never been able to switch flip or switch heel
i can kickflip consistently and heelflips depend on the day
have an ok switch ollie, on a good day can go up and down the 3

not really making any progress on learning to flip my board switch, it rarely does the flip
i'm on 8.25 with medium trucks

is it dumb to try skating e.g. an 8 with tight trucks just to try to learn these? or should i just suck it up and chalk it all up to needing to refine the technique?

i can land switch flips, i’ve never self filmed and im sure id be so bummed if i saw my results….but i do land them, maybe more than regular.
i skate a lot of different setups. last time out i had. 7.5 with 5.0 lo’s, and an 8.38 with 6.1s. switch flip was easier on the larger board. significantly. this isn’t a one-off realization for me, they’ve generally felt that way. i use more of the board for the flip, im doing the opposite of the nyjah foot placement, my flicking foot is deep onto the board.
again, i am positive mine are grotesque, but they do ‘work’,  not sure if this is at all helpful.

now tighter trucks can certainly be helpful, less with the flicking, more with the stability right through the popping segment of the trick. i remember my arches cramping so bad when i learned switch flips. a lot of it is just the stability riding into it.

shortened version: buy some new shit if you want, i’ve bought whole completes just to treflip, but you might win the battle and lose the war. possibly
try tightening your trucks.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4492 on: January 04, 2024, 09:05:20 AM »
After puffin muffin's post about slap stickers /helping skaters in Ukraine. I was wondering if anyone knows of a charity there like SkatePal, as I've got heaps of stuff I could donate (decks, wheels etc).

manysnakes

« Reply #4493 on: January 04, 2024, 10:38:49 AM »
Anyone know what's up with HUF? The EU shop is gone now and they try to get you to order from the states with insane shipping now..

I love love love Huf the skater but have been long surprised at the durability of the HUF brand. Maybe without Keith, it's finally over?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #4494 on: January 04, 2024, 11:48:35 AM »

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #4496 on: January 04, 2024, 03:30:12 PM »
Expand Quote

I don't have facebook either but I do like to sluth. This is the best I could do at work

https://stores.allnightcatfight.com/green-truck-company-stealth-model-in-black-5-25s-8-axle-highs-set/

Thanks for that,

Pretty of the shelf truck. I saw they had a recycled truck program and they were trying to be environmentally conscious truck brand.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4497 on: January 05, 2024, 02:21:30 AM »
Checking a Gall 8.25 Metal board. Are those kinda squared?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Jogging José

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4498 on: January 05, 2024, 03:39:14 AM »

The Metal 8.25 are about as squared as Fa/Hockey but a lot less steep in the kicks. Great shape! Also, as a fellow European I want to inform you, that the Alien Workshop Fred Gall Black Widow from China are not the same as the Metal Fred Gall (although AW said so on Insta) - the Chinese Decks are longer, steeper and have longer Wheelbase…

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4499 on: January 05, 2024, 03:49:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Metal 8.25 are about as squared as Fa/Hockey but a lot less steep in the kicks. Great shape! Also, as a fellow European I want to inform you, that the Alien Workshop Fred Gall Black Widow from China are not the same as the Metal Fred Gall (although AW said so on Insta) - the Chinese Decks are longer, steeper and have longer Wheelbase…
Ty for the reply, you saved me a trip to the skateshop since I don't like FA/Hockey shape at all. Gnar for you kind sir.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.