Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 208967 times)

TwisT and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4500 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:19 PM »
Does any company make the skate mental curren caples 9" egg now that curren left sm?
NOT the crail loveseat, it's close or even equal on paper but so much worse for me because of the stupid amount of flat after the bolts.
Quasi egg is not right either

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4501 on: January 05, 2024, 02:24:03 PM »
Does any company make the skate mental curren caples 9" egg now that curren left sm?
NOT the crail loveseat, it's close or even equal on paper but so much worse for me because of the stupid amount of flat after the bolts.

I hadn't looked into them before, but from doing a bit of a search, they are now BBS wood, some listings showing 9.0 x 32 with 14.25 wb, while others have it as shorter wb, some 14 and some 13.8 or so.

Does that seem fairly consistent with the boards you have had?

I am guessing that there are still a number of them out there, probably now on sale / clearance so how many could you snap up and how long would that last you per board?

As far as others, I haven't really looked that hard, but the DLX 9.1 or 9.12 egg could be similar, although I don't know if that is a common board any more.

Where ever he goes next, he might do that same shape, so you could stock up now and hopefully in a bit, there will be more of them out sooner or later.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4502 on: January 05, 2024, 02:38:17 PM »
What are the dims?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4503 on: January 05, 2024, 03:14:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What are the dims?

Yeah I am curious too, is it really 9 x 32 with 13.88 wb?

Said it was the same dimensions as the Loveseat, which is this:

G055:
9" x 32"
Wheelbase: 13.875"
Nose: 7.125"
Tail: 6.8"

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #4504 on: January 06, 2024, 06:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
What are the dims?
[close]

Yeah I am curious too, is it really 9 x 32 with 13.88 wb?

Said it was the same dimensions as the Loveseat, which is this:

G055:
9" x 32"
Wheelbase: 13.875"
Nose: 7.125"
Tail: 6.8"
Just measured mine (in centimeter and converted), which is used by now:
Width: 9"
Length: 31.97"
Wheelbase: 13.84"
Nose: 7.3"
Tail: 6.97"

*All measurements without pushing the tape into the concave.
I love this deck so much even though I'm used to small 6.6" (twin) tails and noses.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4505 on: January 06, 2024, 09:28:04 PM »
I wanna make a skateboard chair. Anyone ever build one here?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4506 on: January 07, 2024, 05:14:40 AM »
Does anyone know if Dancer goods are made in the same factory as Magenta? I’m eying some of the pants since they’re running a sale However, I got a pair of Magenta loose pants in ripstop for a gift to someone. He didn’t even skate in them and has three holes in them, after 2.5 months.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #4507 on: January 07, 2024, 04:46:54 PM »
Does anyone know if Dancer goods are made in the same factory as Magenta? I’m eying some of the pants since they’re running a sale However, I got a pair of Magenta loose pants in ripstop for a gift to someone. He didn’t even skate in them and has three holes in them, after 2.5 months.

Maybe your friend smokes lots of hash and is careless with blimp burns.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4508 on: January 08, 2024, 07:12:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe your friend smokes lots of hash and is careless with blimp burns.
Nah, my dad is over 70 and doesn’t do much except read news and play sudoku. These were the ripstop. I have a pair of non-ripstop ones that are over two years old.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4509 on: January 08, 2024, 07:37:44 AM »
I wanted to make an easy resource for people to know what the differences in all the trucks were
I am thinking of making an image that is easily shareable on phones 480 x 800 resolution

anyway before I do that, I just wanted to know specifically if anyone knows what the height is on Ace Trucks Lows. I see on the Ace Trucks sizing chart, they list them at 49mm, but then Tactics lists them ranging from 43-45mm in height. I noticed they also list AF1s as 52mm in height and classics @ 53mm in height which is 1 and 2mm lower than what Ace claims on their website. I have heard a lot of people say the ace trucks website is not a good resource so just wanted to see if anyone can confirm.

Does anyone see any issues with this list? Based off of Thunder Trucks and Tactics websites, and also I used @rocklobster measurements (apprx) for my Venture heights:

Ace af1 low: 43-45mm

Venture Low: 47mm forged, 48mm cast

Thunder small (up to 147 - 8”)
49mm forged, 50mm cast

Thunder medium (148, 149, 151 8.75”) : 51mm forged, 52mm cast

Ace AF1: 52mm

Indy mid: 52mm

Indy forged: 53.5mm

Ace classic 53mm

Thunder Large (161): 53mm

Venture high
: 52 mm forged 53mm cast

Slappy :54mm

Indy standard: 55mm
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 08:04:17 AM by rawbertson. »

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #4510 on: January 08, 2024, 08:05:25 AM »
I wanted to make an easy resource for people to know what the differences in all the trucks were
I am thinking of making an image that is easily shareable on phones 480 x 800 resolution

anyway before I do that, I just wanted to know specifically if anyone knows what the height is on Ace Trucks Lows. I see on the Ace Trucks sizing chart, they list them at 49mm, but then Tactics lists them ranging from 43-45mm in height. I noticed they also list AF1s as 52mm in height and classics @ 53mm in height which is 1 and 2mm lower than what Ace claims on their website. I have heard a lot of people say the ace trucks website is not a good resource so just wanted to see if anyone can confirm.

Does anyone see any issues with this list? Based off of Thunder Trucks and Tactics websites, and also I used @rocklobster measurements (apprx) for my Venture heights:

Ace af1 low: 43-45mm

Venture Low: 47mm forged, 48mm cast

Thunder small (up to 147 - 8”)
49mm forged, 50mm cast

Thunder medium (148, 149, 151 8.75”) 51mm forged, 52mm cast

Ace AF1: 52mm

Indy mid: 52mm

Indy forged: 53.5mm

Ace classic 53mm

Thunder 161: 53mm

Venture high: 52 mm forged 53mm cast

Slappy 54mm

Indy standard 55mm

Your Ace data seems off. Here are the correct heights (and yes, the Ace website gives the wrong info):

Ace Classics 52 mm 
Ace AF1 53 mm
Ace AF1 Low 49 mm

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4511 on: January 08, 2024, 09:05:20 AM »
What’s your process to remove a kingpin?

I feel like these splined ones are meant to die with the baseplate; never had this issue with pins prior to that that a hammer couldn’t fix.

I’m seriously think sledge style.

I’ve got so many trucks where if I could flip the pin to a shorter one I could extend the life of the truck.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4512 on: January 08, 2024, 09:15:20 AM »

I feel like these splined ones are meant to die with the baseplate; never had this issue with pins prior to that that a hammer couldn’t fix.

I’ve got so many trucks where if I could flip the pin to a shorter one I could extend the life of the truck.

Splined pins are absolutely intended the last the life of the truck, hence the press-fit nature of them. To get a kingpin out, you need some sort of anvil with a hole in the bottom. The easiest way I’ve found is to set it on a bench vise with the jaws open enough for the pin to pass through. From there, you carefully hammer out the pin with a few well-placed blows.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4513 on: January 08, 2024, 10:37:59 AM »
late 90's early 2000's every shop had a hammer and a spot to hammer out your broken Indy kingpin and a drawer full of new Indy kingpins

Still_ill

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4514 on: January 08, 2024, 11:06:07 AM »

I got two pairs of the Dancer “ripstop” pants on sale and put a hole in one pair the first day I wore them on a pretty light bail.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4515 on: January 08, 2024, 11:54:17 AM »
does anyone know if Diamond is still making hardware? I went to their site and the only item under their hardgoods is a deck.

Also, imagine buying an NFT Diamond dunk. Dumb.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4516 on: January 08, 2024, 05:12:21 PM »
does anyone know if Diamond is still making hardware? I went to their site and the only item under their hardgoods is a deck.

From checking their online presence, I think they are done.

People asking about purchases from months ago on their instagram and mostly everything else on clearance.

Whatever you see remaining in stock is all there is.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4517 on: January 09, 2024, 09:48:39 AM »

If it is only the length of the kingpin that bothers you (I assume because of ground down hangers), why not try to file down the excess length of the pin? You can use an angle grinder for extra-fast results. Just make sure that you have the nut on the pin (can use it as a limit) so that it works as a re-threader when you unscrew it out to clear up the edge/thread. Also, if you go the angle grinder way, keep in mind that less is more. I ground down a set of pins to the point that the trucks felt too tight, even with soft bushings on. Amazing kingpin clearance and all...
Expand Quote
[close]

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
  • sup dog
« Reply #4518 on: January 09, 2024, 11:38:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it is only the length of the kingpin that bothers you (I assume because of ground down hangers), why not try to file down the excess length of the pin? You can use an angle grinder for extra-fast results. Just make sure that you have the nut on the pin (can use it as a limit) so that it works as a re-threader when you unscrew it out to clear up the edge/thread. Also, if you go the angle grinder way, keep in mind that less is more. I ground down a set of pins to the point that the trucks felt too tight, even with soft bushings on. Amazing kingpin clearance and all...
A hacksaw appropriate for cutting metal might be cleaner and allow the nut to still be screwed off (since I imagine using a file on the kingpin might create so harsh edge on the thread).
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4519 on: January 09, 2024, 12:51:37 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4520 on: January 09, 2024, 03:43:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
A hacksaw appropriate for cutting metal might be cleaner and allow the nut to still be screwed off (since I imagine using a file on the kingpin might create so harsh edge on the thread).

I must have missed this on the first round, but this is something I do a lot of adjustments to, but to note, people have fairly easily hammered out kingpins from almost all brands of trucks, more often with a custom jig they have set up to hold the baseplate in place and getting it on just the right angle, as per this instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/fuckwithyourtrucks/

If the kingpin is solid, threads down through it not messed up and still works but is too high, don't try to take it out, just angle grind it down, as others said above.

A gentle hand with an angle grinder is the best way I found to fix any kingpin issues.  Never go too hard straight down, but do a little one side, then the other, round it off and you won't even catch any threads when taking the kingpin nut off and putting it back on.

I still keep a kingpin rethreader handy anyway, cause sometimes it just needs a little extra help, but usually I have the truck set up with cut down or low top bushings on kingpins that need more clearance, then go at it, a bit at a time, not heating up the kiingpin too much, taking it down to approximately where I need it, but not too much either.

People have cooked the nyloc from the nut and melted bushings going too hard and causing it to heat up too much when grinding, so just note that too.

I can't even think how many boards / sets of trucks I have done this to, more often than not for people (and my own boards) where the trucks have been worn down to the point of the kingpin being annoying or dangerous in how tall it now sits in relation to the hanger,

The process is fairly simple, way easier than trying to take a kingpin out and putting in an inverted kingpin and doesn't have any of the issues with inverted kinpgins coming loose, breaking out of the baseplate or whatever other problems people have with them.

Just the cost of a few spare kingpin nuts if you do need to change them out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4521 on: January 09, 2024, 05:23:28 PM »

Love it, saving that to my phone for future reference.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4522 on: January 09, 2024, 06:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what bushings did you use
and how long until they crumbled
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #4523 on: January 10, 2024, 03:05:59 AM »
Anyone try the “Pop Secret” decks from Crailtap? I’m usually not one to buy into gimmicks but I’m curious if anyone noticed any major benefits compared to their standard decks.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4524 on: January 10, 2024, 07:43:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
what bushings did you use
and how long until they crumbled

Independent conical. I think they were clear blue and advertised as 90 durometer but that was 10 years ago so I might be wrong. The height of the bottom (board side) bushing was the same as the ones that came with the trucks, although those were barrel shape. The bushings did not crumble but they went really mushy so they would not snap back to centre. I was skating in temperatures of ~40 C.
Expand Quote
[close]

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4525 on: January 10, 2024, 08:47:20 AM »
Anyone try the “Pop Secret” decks from Crailtap? I’m usually not one to buy into gimmicks but I’m curious if anyone noticed any major benefits compared to their standard decks.

I didn't ride one, but my local ripper told me they were too heavy even for him. Spent a few minutes on it and it was painfully stiff, even stiffer than a fresh DSM deck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

apbarbs

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4526 on: January 11, 2024, 05:50:09 AM »
i watched a recent skate video in december that used Alice in Chains - Nutshell (Live at the Majestic Theatre, Brooklyn, NY - April 1996) - does anyone happen to remember what it was?

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4527 on: January 12, 2024, 12:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

People asking about purchases from months ago on their instagram and mostly everything else on clearance.

lmao I just checked. jfc
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #4528 on: January 12, 2024, 06:48:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

lmao I just checked. jfc

Maybe the wheels fell off

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #4529 on: January 14, 2024, 08:18:33 PM »
For Polar 93 denim, if I’m a size 34-36 waist, will their size 32 pants fit me? I’ve heard they run way bigger than usual