Author Topic: Broken Century Xtreme Fisheye  (Read 1759 times)

Onlybuilt4sippindrinks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Broken Century Xtreme Fisheye
« on: January 18, 2022, 10:16:46 AM »
Just broke the shit out of my Xtreme that I've had for a good 8 years now. Anybody got any advice on how to avoid spending the ~6,000 dollars on a new one?

I do have it insured for theft, but not damage and I've had century fix the housing before but sounds like they no longer service them. Maybe somewhere can fix them?

Gonna have to get one one way or another, just curious if anyone else has been in this position since the prices have gone up.

Thanks!

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 15
Re: Broken Century Xtreme Fisheye
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:19:52 PM »
Damn, that sucks!  I would hit up deathlens_fisheye_sales on instagram and see what he has to say.  He might have a spare front element, but no guarantees.  Regardless, probably the best contact if you need to buy another Xtreme.

barreldistortion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 04:10:13 PM »
Is the glass deeply scratched?

Onlybuilt4sippindrinks

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 06:05:42 AM »
It's pretty scratched, but not too bad.
It's mostly the housing around the lens that's broken, giving it some terrible vig on one side, and then there's this ring loose inside of the lens that jiggles around.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 03:00:52 PM »
can we see pictures ? have you tried opening it to try to repair it ?

Onlybuilt4sippindrinks

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 02:20:19 PM »

That's that ring right in the middle and in the second pic you can see how out of place the housing is in the corner.

bataaard

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 04:14:06 PM »
the little ring moves around between the lenses because they are not pressuring it anymore.
clearly the front piece holding everything together is broken. i've had that before and managed to get the replacement piece from century at the time. but these days they don't answer emails anymore.

i wouldn't film with it before finding a solution, you encounter the risk of having the front element falling on the ground. It almost happened to me twice after getting boards hits...

also the screws don't seem like they are originals. so it might have happened to the previous owner too.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:23 PM »
Bummer dude mad yikes... Maybe you could get it replaced from a machine or metal or some sort of shop that can reprint that part and screw it back together? Above my knowledge.. Just a thought.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 09:28:04 PM »
Never taken apart an extreme but can you not just remove the front, reposition the interior rings/elements, then get a replacement screw to seal it back up? I’m sure you could find the same screw at an Ace hardware or similar.

bataaard

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 03:09:09 AM »
its not a screw problem but the plastic part holding everything together that is broken

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 08:54:43 AM »
Bummer dude mad yikes... Maybe you could get it replaced from a machine or metal or some sort of shop that can reprint that part and screw it back together? Above my knowledge.. Just a thought.
yeah aside from finding the exact replacement plastic bracket from Century, getting a new one 3-D printed could work. or just doing a really good job with some JB Weld or other plastic weld material. good luck dude! get creative and use your networks and resources.

https://makezine.com/2017/02/16/plastic-repair/

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 15
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 11:51:16 AM »
I would look into the 3D printed route, that could be a good option.

Share CAD files if you get it made!

robocop

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 08:56:50 AM »
Hey I could help you out with redesigning the part (or parts) that need fixing in CAD and 3D printing it if you help out with shipping costs (will probably take more than one prototype to nail it).  If you can take photos as straight as possible of the front, back, and side views kind of like this pic, but with a ruler lined up next to it I could probably redesign it or at least try. 

Onlybuilt4sippindrinks

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 01:00:47 PM »
Thank you all so much.

I'll keep y'all updated!

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 12:58:02 PM »
This is at least the 3rd time I've seen in recent years where someone's broken the housing on the Xtreme, just based off filmers I follow. That would be amazing to get the CAD dialed in so that a DIY replacement wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 07:58:56 PM »
Hey I could help you out with redesigning the part (or parts) that need fixing in CAD and 3D printing it if you help out with shipping costs (will probably take more than one prototype to nail it).  If you can take photos as straight as possible of the front, back, and side views kind of like this pic, but with a ruler lined up next to it I could probably redesign it or at least try. 

Our saviour