Author Topic: Hours is yours shoes  (Read 5709 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
Hours is yours shoes
« on: January 19, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »
Anyone else see this on Instagram over the last few days?

https://instagram.com/hoursisyours?utm_medium=copy_link

Site:

https://hoursisyours.com/

Quote from the site
"A SKATER OWNED FOOTWEAR CO.
CREATED BY DENNIS MARTIN AND BRYAN HERMAN HOURS IS YOURS OPENS IT'S DOORS AS A SKATER MADE, SKATER OWNED FOOTWEAR COMPANY FOR 2021. AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE LARGE CORPORATIONS CURRENTLY IN THE SKATEBOARD LIFESTYLE INDUSTRY."

Hyliannightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
Re: Hours is yours shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 12:47:15 PM »
Those are some generic ass looking shoes

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »
Generic – yes, but my old ass needs that kind of thing. Those brown loafers might be needed to pair with dress casual outfits as dress shoes kill the fuck out of my feet. Even with other insoles.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:58:54 PM »
seems pretty uninspired and out of touch with the skate industry when you compare it to last resort

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:43:48 PM »
seems pretty uninspired and out of touch with the skate industry when you compare it to last resort

Why compare it to Last Resort? Also, there is nothing original about Last Resort. So, saying Hours is uninspired means nothing.

I like both brands. Neither brand is bringing any original designs to the table though.

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 02:33:48 PM »
is that dennis dude the brooklyn projects guy?
Free Charlie Rambo

WideFeet

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »
is that dennis dude the brooklyn projects guy?

No, Dennis Martin was a filmer, I think? Could be wrong. His IG handle is @DirtyKlips

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:00:19 PM »
"'Those who create, have the chance to innovate.'

--Bryan Herman"

--Mr. Stinky

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 03:07:13 PM »
I'm hoping it's this veteran vert dude Dennis Martin

http://www.wcsk8.com/2001/bios/martin.html

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 03:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why compare it to Last Resort? Also, there is nothing original about Last Resort. So, saying Hours is uninspired means nothing.

I like both brands. Neither brand is bringing any original designs to the table though.

They're both taking the skater-owned, alternative to corporate shoe brands angle. pretty clear comparison.

last resort has a unique team, cool up-close skate photos and art that go with their marketing, and a vision of skating that comes across as unique, clear, and coherent.

the images on hours IG and website look like they're advertising a fast fashion subscription box or watches. the loafer shoe is original, sure, but wouldn't be caught dead wearing it.

sk84gay

• Rep: -24
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 03:38:47 PM »
Generic – yes, but my old ass needs that kind of thing. Those brown loafers might be needed to pair with dress casual outfits as dress shoes kill the fuck out of my feet. Even with other insoles.

Do not ever wear skate shoes anytime you are trying to be dressed up, for your own sake.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 03:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do not ever wear skate shoes anytime you are trying to be dressed up, for your own sake.

I can separate the two. But I'm thinking like Christmas, Thanksgiving, the occasional Baptism, or even brunch out with the wife where it's simply a khakis and a polo kind of event. When I need to suit up, I suit up.

WideFeet

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 04:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're both taking the skater-owned, alternative to corporate shoe brands angle. pretty clear comparison.

last resort has a unique team, cool up-close skate photos and art that go with their marketing, and a vision of skating that comes across as unique, clear, and coherent.

the images on hours IG and website look like they're advertising a fast fashion subscription box or watches. the loafer shoe is original, sure, but wouldn't be caught dead wearing it.

The only comparison you can make is that they’re both skater owned. If you’re going to compare Last Resort and Hours, why not throw in the other skater owned skate shoe brands?

The loafer shoe isn’t original either. Vans has done it, Globe has one currently, and I’m pretty sure Dylan had one on Gravis with a razor blade on it?

I’ve seen both shoes in person. Hours seemed to be better quality materials. Haven’t skated either, so I couldn’t really tell you. People obviously love Last Resort. Hours definitely isn’t fast fashion. They’re great quality.

I’ll be stoked to try them both out in the future.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 04:59:32 PM »
Anyone else see this on Instagram over the last few days?

https://instagram.com/hoursisyours?utm_medium=copy_link

Site:

https://hoursisyours.com/

Quote from the site
"A SKATER OWNED FOOTWEAR CO.
CREATED BY DENNIS MARTIN AND BRYAN HERMAN HOURS IS YOURS OPENS IT'S DOORS AS A SKATER MADE, SKATER OWNED FOOTWEAR COMPANY FOR 2021. AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE LARGE CORPORATIONS CURRENTLY IN THE SKATEBOARD LIFESTYLE INDUSTRY."

This is like, the very foundation of Last Resort as a company. It's in the name. So comparing them is absolutely reasonable and expected if you ask me.

The difference is that I dont think Pontus would ever refer to it as "the skateboard lifestyle industry" or have a team put together an ig page that looks as out of touch and detached as that phrase sounds.

The shoes look good though, probably worth a try!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »
Can't believe the same guy that designed all those great Emerica models is behind this...
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »
I hate the name and don’t love any of the shoes, but I hope they succeed because I love Herman.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 06:26:44 PM »
Can't believe the same guy that designed all those great Emerica models is behind this...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pro club blanks

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 06:26:59 PM »
I don't like the approach tbh

It reeks of new age influencer/IG/lets not actually promote skateboarding, vulture bullshit

Im down to see Herman get paid but those loafers are on some mikey tayloresque fake bougie douche shit

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 06:29:04 PM »
I have a buddy who is the art director at a big skate company and we got to talking about fashion.
He is on the path to wearing nothing with a logo. No branding. Hes burnt out on the race to be the hippest or coolest.

We were discussing shoes…he has skated and surfs but doesn’t want to rep any skate brands and won’t wear sandals. Doesn’t want to be the guy wearing nike or adidas running shoes all the time.

I suggested clear weather or last resorts. He was looking at muji.

After our conversation it got me thinking about being a 40ish guy wearing a spitfire shirt and some nikes. I think i am going to go in a similar direction.

Long story short, those loafers are looking pretty good

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 08:44:19 PM »
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

lesserredpanda

• Rep: 15
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 09:19:52 PM »
Skater run kook shit.

disappointed

• User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 10:24:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, agree not a lot of originality going on with hours but still be rad to see what these new shoes are like irl, quality, wear, feel etc. So is this the skateline of hrs?? Has EE dumped his involvement now he’s getting that LingLing China money?

Last Resort is cool, but it’s probably the least creative and least original shoe brand in skate ever; with really really good marketing. Pontus just the rework/ripped his cons shoe, and then he just bought the entire brand/logo from his mate. Ta da - clever business. Pontus is a bit of a genius, he’s literally taken one shoe/one look, and made it so hot right now.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 10:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The only comparison you can make is that they’re both skater owned. If you’re going to compare Last Resort and Hours, why not throw in the other skater owned skate shoe brands?

The loafer shoe isn’t original either. Vans has done it, Globe has one currently, and I’m pretty sure Dylan had one on Gravis with a razor blade on it?

I’ve seen both shoes in person. Hours seemed to be better quality materials. Haven’t skated either, so I couldn’t really tell you. People obviously love Last Resort. Hours definitely isn’t fast fashion. They’re great quality.

in the grand scheme of things, you can definitely say there are other skater owned brands that have props in their own right (ex. sole tech brands, lakai) but i think the reason why that dude originally compared HRS to Last Resort was because they are two newer skater-owned brands. you can also use Li-Ning and Braille (i guess) but yeah..

LRAB just had an insane amount of hype leading up to the release, and sold pretty decently once they were out. they did a good job of teasing what was to come and having a well rounded team and a cohesive vision certainly helped. they had the marketing and it's been working out for them thus far.

HRS just seemed to pop out of nowhere other than Herman briefly mentioning it in interviews. i like the look of one of their shoes, but they are priced a lil higher than LR. as mentioned too, their whole rollout doesn't look that great.

yeah sure they both lack in design, but people would most likely gravitate towards Last Resort than HRS.

imo, if HRS didn't have Herman backing it, would it have a chance? seems to be relying on him mostly cause other than that there's no team, no video or photos of the shoes being skated. there just seems to be no general interest. on SLAP, the talk of LRAB before they came out vs. the talk of HRS before they came out, seemed to be more in favour of the former. would younger skaters prefer Last Resort or HRS? when boxing day came a couple weeks ago, stores we're already 30-40% these off when they just came out.

just a take.

WideFeet

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 11:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

in the grand scheme of things, you can definitely say there are other skater owned brands that have props in their own right (ex. sole tech brands, lakai) but i think the reason why that dude originally compared HRS to Last Resort was because they are two newer skater-owned brands. you can also use Li-Ning and Braille (i guess) but yeah..

LRAB just had an insane amount of hype leading up to the release, and sold pretty decently once they were out. they did a good job of teasing what was to come and having a well rounded team and a cohesive vision certainly helped. they had the marketing and it's been working out for them thus far.

HRS just seemed to pop out of nowhere other than Herman briefly mentioning it in interviews. i like the look of one of their shoes, but they are priced a lil higher than LR. as mentioned too, their whole rollout doesn't look that great.

yeah sure they both lack in design, but people would most likely gravitate towards Last Resort than HRS.

imo, if HRS didn't have Herman backing it, would it have a chance? seems to be relying on him mostly cause other than that there's no team, no video or photos of the shoes being skated. there just seems to be no general interest. on SLAP, the talk of LRAB before they came out vs. the talk of HRS before they came out, seemed to be more in favour of the former. would younger skaters prefer Last Resort or HRS? when boxing day came a couple weeks ago, stores we're already 30-40% these off when they just came out.

just a take.

Hours and HRS are 2 different companies.

Hours will be priced between $80-$90. Last Resort is priced at $85-$95 from what I’ve seen. They seem to be pretty comparable in pricing. I’m guessing when you said Hours were priced higher than Last Resort, you thought Hours and HRS were the same company.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 12:13:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

just a take.
[close]

Hours and HRS are 2 different companies.

Hours will be priced between $80-$90. Last Resort is priced at $85-$95 from what I’ve seen. They seem to be pretty comparable in pricing. I’m guessing when you said Hours were priced higher than Last Resort, you thought Hours and HRS were the same company.

I pulled the prices from a Canadian shop that carried both LR and HRS (Is Yours), a $5-10 more than LR in Canada. I guess not TOO much.

with the name confusion aside my opinion still stands. is Hours is Yours affiliated with HRS or are they two separate companies with similar names that Herman is affiliated with?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 03:05:12 AM »
The lookbook made me think this would be the hot company if people were still into altamont. Maybe if herman was still psyched on skating, the marketing would be more exciting. Dude is still using bake and destroy and stay gold footage to promo these shoes. Maybe Hours is for people to wear while they remember how good they were on a skateboard.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQZ66UtBs59/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWWQt7_PCFW/

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 03:37:27 AM »
I have a buddy who is the art director at a big skate company and we got to talking about fashion.
He is on the path to wearing nothing with a logo. No branding. Hes burnt out on the race to be the hippest or coolest.

We were discussing shoes…he has skated and surfs but doesn’t want to rep any skate brands and won’t wear sandals. Doesn’t want to be the guy wearing nike or adidas running shoes all the time.

After our conversation it got me thinking about being a 40ish guy wearing a spitfire shirt and some nikes. I think i am going to go in a similar direction.

The logo less dudes bore me more than the old dude still rocking logos male me cringe.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 04:01:34 AM »
Nah logos are dead they certainly ruin a lot of good fits. If someone is sponsored it's understandable but the attatchment to companies and marketing weirds me out more and more.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 04:31:54 AM »
That name is unbearably annoying

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 05:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The logo less dudes bore me more than the old dude still rocking logos male me cringe.

Damn, I wonder if his friend's Jim Greco?

Hours and LRAB just remind me of ugly bowling shoes.

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.