Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 403653 times)

Bobbybanana and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

my bad cuh

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1950 on: February 28, 2023, 05:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote

honestly its missing some of that previous vlogman4000 soul and some important characters
but it makes sense because it seems like hes been with the sci fi people like everyday for the past month which is also great
[close]
that ankle injury Steve Berra transition was gold. also who was that comparing GH to Andrew Tate? lol
i have never seen a dumb data video in my life so i have no real idea but i think its from that analysis of gh's second year on youtube

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1951 on: February 28, 2023, 05:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote

honestly its missing some of that previous vlogman4000 soul and some important characters
but it makes sense because it seems like hes been with the sci fi people like everyday for the past month which is also great
[close]
that ankle injury Steve Berra transition was gold. also who was that comparing GH to Andrew Tate? lol

michael relevant

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1952 on: February 28, 2023, 05:38:57 PM »

5:30 man the switch to b&w along with that ag cook song is really cute

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #1953 on: March 01, 2023, 07:04:26 AM »

Keath Hirchart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
« Reply #1954 on: March 04, 2023, 12:42:48 PM »
Gifted Hater Fucks

y0

• Rep: 2
  • yo
« Reply #1955 on: March 05, 2023, 02:12:43 AM »
fucks?
Or sucks?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #1956 on: March 05, 2023, 12:21:00 PM »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1957 on: March 06, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im really curious to what nora as said about GH, anyone have some insight?
[close]

He called her out in a hateline for being annoying and disrespectful to pedestrians in a tiktok or something and she didnt like that.  Dont recall if she actually ever said anything on the record or if word just got back to him somehow
[close]

The video is here at 12 minutes, Nora was laughing at a pedestrian who got ran into at the Venice curbs, which is honestly really lame.

Massholes always be laughing at people tho. It don't mean nothing.

Nora is a goddess and I love her. She probably stumbled over hold her belly dizzy with classic Masshole slap stick joy and punched them in the arm with a Popeye quote.

Hey I ams wut I ams gagagagaga. Take me to your shanty I'll bait some traps to make up for it
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #1958 on: March 06, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im really curious to what nora as said about GH, anyone have some insight?
[close]

He called her out in a hateline for being annoying and disrespectful to pedestrians in a tiktok or something and she didnt like that.  Dont recall if she actually ever said anything on the record or if word just got back to him somehow
[close]

The video is here at 12 minutes, Nora was laughing at a pedestrian who got ran into at the Venice curbs, which is honestly really lame.

[close]

Massholes always be laughing at people tho. It don't mean nothing.

Nora is a goddess and I love her. She probably stumbled over hold her belly dizzy with classic Masshole slap stick joy and punched them in the arm with a Popeye quote.

Hey I ams wut I ams gagagagaga. Take me to your shanty I'll bait some traps to make up for it

Who’d a guessed uncle flea is a slush scooper.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1959 on: March 07, 2023, 11:18:05 PM »
☮︎

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1960 on: March 08, 2023, 12:06:52 AM »
☮︎
I do think he has a point that Strobeck approaches black culture quite strangely. Always thought Strobeck's instance on white skaters skating to rock and pop and black skaters skating to hiphop and r&b (occasionally jazz and reggae) quite weird. While this is already common in skate videos, it is blatantly obvious in Strobecks videos especially considering how often he makes separate montages for the black skaters and the white skaters.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:22:40 AM by Nancy Chin »

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #1961 on: March 08, 2023, 03:48:32 AM »
Video seems to be private now?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1962 on: March 08, 2023, 07:25:44 AM »
Hater and Ted did a really good video about their experiences with Jenkem. I hope they make them public.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1963 on: March 08, 2023, 08:08:27 AM »

You make the mistake of going skating and then spending time with loved ones and you miss the juice.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1964 on: March 08, 2023, 08:18:10 AM »
Here's a brief summary for those who missed it:
  • GH's thoughts on Kader riding for Violet & thoughts on BOom video
  • Expects that it hasn't been announced yet because they're currently filming intro part to coincide with pro board release
  • Gives some reasons why Kader would want to leave Baker, such as the desire to grow & build something new, not being able to express himself within the defined image of Baker
  • Touches on the fact that Violet could be considered cultural appropriation seeing as most of the branding revolves around black imaging and Strobeck is a white guy / the owner of the company/main profiter

welcometohelp

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1965 on: March 08, 2023, 11:40:19 AM »
Gifted Hater Ls are starting to pop up more and more frequently

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #1966 on: March 08, 2023, 11:44:56 AM »
Hater and Ted did a really good video about their experiences with Jenkem. I hope they make them public.

huh?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1967 on: March 08, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »
Damn so Ted getting into hot water at work from his exchange with an IG account who's name escapes me was pretty much all on Jenkem. The way he explains it, it sounds like a pretty botched editorial decision.

Here's the details:
Ted writes an essay called Skateboarding is Not Art for the Jenkem book. He clarifies that he knows this is a hot take and will probably get him a lot of heat if published online and so they agree not to publish it anywhere but the book. The book gets published and no one reads the piece. Jenkem later hits him up to do a hot take article. He comes up with Tom Penny is the father of the swagged out skatepark denizen and they don't love it. He hears nothing back about if they are gonna publish it or not but, one day, out of nowhere, his mentions go crazy. Turns out instead of publishing the Tom Penny article, they reprint Skateboarding is Not Art as his hot take. Skatemunch or whatever says that Ted was very many mean times to them over the DMs to Ted's employer. Ted gets called to the principal's office and gets fired.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1968 on: March 08, 2023, 02:16:23 PM »

While I didn't watch the video, I feel like it would have been less of a L if he had just left it up.

For those who watched it, was it really that offensive? Based on @swellbowed's outline, it seems on par with his typical content.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1969 on: March 08, 2023, 02:36:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While I didn't watch the video, I feel like it would have been less of a L if he had just left it up.

For those who watched it, was it really that offensive? Based on @swellbowed's outline, it seems on par with his typical content.

I got to watch and it wasn't really offensive at all. I have no idea why he would take it down.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #1970 on: March 08, 2023, 02:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got to watch and it wasn't really offensive at all. I have no idea why he would take it down.
I wonder if someone asked him to take it down or maybe he was second-guessing his take. Definitely interesting that vid went private, there had to be some type of reason for it

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1971 on: March 08, 2023, 04:05:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

huh?

They huffed jenkem like other people do mushrooms and now they’re gonna do a video about it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1972 on: March 08, 2023, 04:08:34 PM »
Damn so Ted getting into hot water at work from his exchange with an IG account who's name escapes me was pretty much all on Jenkem. The way he explains it, it sounds like a pretty botched editorial decision.

Here's the details:
Ted writes an essay called Skateboarding is Not Art for the Jenkem book. He clarifies that he knows this is a hot take and will probably get him a lot of heat if published online and so they agree not to publish it anywhere but the book. The book gets published and no one reads the piece. Jenkem later hits him up to do a hot take article. He comes up with Tom Penny is the father of the swagged out skatepark denizen and they don't love it. He hears nothing back about if they are gonna publish it or not but, one day, out of nowhere, his mentions go crazy. Turns out instead of publishing the Tom Penny article, they reprint Skateboarding is Not Art as his hot take. Skatemunch or whatever says that Ted was very many mean times to them over the DMs to Ted's employer. Ted gets called to the principal's office and gets fired.

Snitching to someone’s boss because they don’t have the right opinion about skateboarding has gotta be one of the saddest and most pathetic things I can imagine. Subhuman behavior.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #1973 on: March 08, 2023, 04:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I wonder if someone asked him to take it down or maybe he was second-guessing his take. Definitely interesting that vid went private, there had to be some type of reason for it

he reuploaded to his patreon with a preface saying he removed it because there was a section he felt a little naïve posting the video publicly which had a section about cultural appropriation, etc that at that time wasn't well thought out and realized sometimes the general youtube audience needs to have their hand held through what he's saying without it being looked at the wrong way or out of context. the version on patreon is a little more annotated than what was uploaded to youtube. he also felt as a white person, he doesn't have the say who gets to use black culture. bringing it back to where he strives to keep the channel not political.

imo, i think he should have uploaded the Ted/Jenkem video onto his YouTube and then the Kader/Violet video on Patreon.

he also seems a little burnt out. not uploading to youtube as frequently as he used to, on top of all the videos made on him following his street part, he said he does not like the current climate of youtube and finds it toxic and weird. he seems to be finding some solace when he twitch streams and has these patreon vids.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1974 on: March 08, 2023, 04:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

he reuploaded to his patreon with a preface saying he removed it because there was a section he felt a little naïve posting the video publicly which had a section about cultural appropriation, etc that at that time wasn't well thought out and realized sometimes the general youtube audience needs to have their hand held through what he's saying without it being looked at the wrong way or out of context. the version on patreon is a little more annotated than what was uploaded to youtube. he also felt as a white person, he doesn't have the say who gets to use black culture. bringing it back to where he strives to keep the channel not political.

imo, i think he should have uploaded the Ted/Jenkem video onto his YouTube and then the Kader/Violet video on Patreon.

he also seems a little burnt out. not uploading to youtube as frequently as he used to, on top of all the videos made on him following his street part, he said he does not like the current climate of youtube and finds it toxic and weird. he seems to be finding some solace when he twitch streams and has these patreon vids.
He's live streamed like 3 times this week though. They've been at all kinds of hours but a lot of times those streams are what gets cut up and memed out and put up on either Patreon or YT. The burnout is real though and he does seem like he's got a building case of it.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #1975 on: March 08, 2023, 04:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
He's live streamed like 3 times this week though. They've been at all kinds of hours but a lot of times those streams are what gets cut up and memed out and put up on either Patreon or YT. The burnout is real though and he does seem like he's got a building case of it.

I meant burn out on YouTube but you can tell the tone of his voice in his streams it's comin quickly.

he also did his first 'public' appearance at a skate event (Slow Impact Arizona) so i feel like he must've felt awkward with all the attention he got at that event supposedly he was the most 'recognizable' person there according to Jenkem

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1976 on: March 08, 2023, 04:43:08 PM »
Burnout? Lol. This dude probably works <30 hours a week, all from the comfort of his home. Without exaggeration his job is probably easier than 99% of people that make the kind of money he does.

It's pretty lame that he will never post anything slightly controversial to his YouTube. A self-proclaimed hater that refuses to deal with any backlash. Pretty boring to see him go back to the same universally-hated punching bags like Nyjah, Mikey Alfred, etc over and over on his YT channel.

I do think he has a legitimate problem with skateboarding being such small industry. While new parts/videos are always coming out, I'm sure he feels like there are long stretches where there just isn't anything juicy enough to comment on.

mikeyshorts

• Rep: -15
« Reply #1977 on: March 08, 2023, 04:48:31 PM »
you have to be strong to withstand backlash. mike vallely, weckingball, gershon, those boys stand on opinions. hater too frail in the ass.
i fucks with son thou

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #1978 on: March 08, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »
maybe but not the worst decision taking the video down given how much information in it seemed lackadaisical.

-the critique of Strobeck owning a company that has used primarily black imagery/culture is somewhat valid, but considering he's stated how open he is to allowing the team to shape the aesthetic and vision for the brand, I wouldn't say it's as much Strobeck capitalizing on black culture as it is a brand aesthetic representative of a team that's majority black. standalone drops from Kyle Teh are a good example of this. definitely better than Bill imposing a white brand identity upon the team's black riders.

-he implied that the wood from the latest Peace board drops are sub-par, which is reflected in their pricepoint. Violet has used PS and BBS for their most recent drops, arguably the woodshops with the highest reputation for quality. with such a simple graphic, it seems logical that the pricepoint is reflected in the simplified screen process for the decks, and not the wood quality. he goes on to say that he doesn't know how selling boards for $48 could be profitable. I think someone of Joa's status & connection to the industry should well know what is profitable/margins look like between brands and woodshops. selling decks for $48 is definitely well within profitable margins without compromising quality, albeit not as profitable as $70/board.

-finally, I don't remember exactly how he said it but he seemed to imply that Strobeck started the brand as a way to capitalize on another group of kids, but it seems clear that the brand was started to give a home to a crew of kids that likely weren't going to find a place on FA/Hockey, and it made more sense to build a brand that would support the whole crew, instead of only a few of them making it.

normally I wouldn't care but given the size of his audience and how many kids take his word as scripture, I think it's important to clarify potential misinformation, especially in regards to brand identities, product, and accusations of cultural appropriation.

additionally, given that its surmised he now makes +$120k/yr just off this type of content, I think it would be responsible to ensure the information is correct before broadcasting it to his audience considering he's essentially turning a profit on other's misfortunes.

I like watching his videos but agree that his content and the bubble it exists in seems destined to inevitably burst.

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #1979 on: March 08, 2023, 07:57:52 PM »
maybe but not the worst decision taking the video down given how much information in it seemed lackadaisical.

-the critique of Strobeck owning a company that has used primarily black imagery/culture is somewhat valid, but considering he's stated how open he is to allowing the team to shape the aesthetic and vision for the brand, I wouldn't say it's as much Strobeck capitalizing on black culture as it is a brand aesthetic representative of a team that's majority black. standalone drops from Kyle Teh are a good example of this. definitely better than Bill imposing a white brand identity upon the team's black riders.

-he implied that the wood from the latest Peace board drops are sub-par, which is reflected in their pricepoint. Violet has used PS and BBS for their most recent drops, arguably the woodshops with the highest reputation for quality. with such a simple graphic, it seems logical that the pricepoint is reflected in the simplified screen process for the decks, and not the wood quality. he goes on to say that he doesn't know how selling boards for $48 could be profitable. I think someone of Joa's status & connection to the industry should well know what is profitable/margins look like between brands and woodshops. selling decks for $48 is definitely well within profitable margins without compromising quality, albeit not as profitable as $70/board.

-finally, I don't remember exactly how he said it but he seemed to imply that Strobeck started the brand as a way to capitalize on another group of kids, but it seems clear that the brand was started to give a home to a crew of kids that likely weren't going to find a place on FA/Hockey, and it made more sense to build a brand that would support the whole crew, instead of only a few of them making it.

normally I wouldn't care but given the size of his audience and how many kids take his word as scripture, I think it's important to clarify potential misinformation, especially in regards to brand identities, product, and accusations of cultural appropriation.

additionally, given that its surmised he now makes +$120k/yr just off this type of content, I think it would be responsible to ensure the information is correct before broadcasting it to his audience considering he's essentially turning a profit on other's misfortunes.

I like watching his videos but agree that his content and the bubble it exists in seems destined to inevitably burst.

i agree, he has to be a little bit better when he's presenting in his vids. especially when people are at the point where they withhold reading about any drama/industry news and wait until he makes a video about it.

he debunked that he makes the $28k/month people thinks he makes (Dumb Data), since he has to factor in the patreon cut, how much he actually makes from youtube (which at 100-200k per video but only uploads 1-3 times a month, not a lot), and then taxes.... probably projects less than $120k/year.