Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 403381 times)

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1980 on: March 08, 2023, 08:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gifted Hater Ls are starting to pop up more and more frequently
[close]

While I didn't watch the video, I feel like it would have been less of a L if he had just left it up.

For those who watched it, was it really that offensive? Based on @swellbowed's outline, it seems on par with his typical content.
[close]

I got to watch and it wasn't really offensive at all. I have no idea why he would take it down.
[close]
I wonder if someone asked him to take it down or maybe he was second-guessing his take. Definitely interesting that vid went private, there had to be some type of reason for it
[close]

he reuploaded to his patreon with a preface saying he removed it because there was a section he felt a little naïve posting the video publicly which had a section about cultural appropriation, etc that at that time wasn't well thought out and realized sometimes the general youtube audience needs to have their hand held through what he's saying without it being looked at the wrong way or out of context. the version on patreon is a little more annotated than what was uploaded to youtube. he also felt as a white person, he doesn't have the say who gets to use black culture. bringing it back to where he strives to keep the channel not political.

imo, i think he should have uploaded the Ted/Jenkem video onto his YouTube and then the Kader/Violet video on Patreon.

he also seems a little burnt out. not uploading to youtube as frequently as he used to, on top of all the videos made on him following his street part, he said he does not like the current climate of youtube and finds it toxic and weird. he seems to be finding some solace when he twitch streams and has these patreon vids.

YouTube is way to toxic for my crowdsourced bulling videos.  Might be his wildest take yet.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1981 on: March 09, 2023, 01:51:58 AM »
I guess that his "hater" activity is more like walking on a tightrope now that he's on Sci Fi and more or less part of the system he wants to critique.
Another guess, releasing his part and the attention he got from it might have been a lil bit harder to handle than expected

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 02:11:29 AM by BALARGUE »

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1982 on: March 09, 2023, 01:57:18 AM »
it's always weird when people have a halfway moment of self awareness and then just ignore it.

at the end of the video he basically said 'this isn't a very informed take, and i'm probably not very well-placed to make this particular critique, but i needed to put out a video out so here it is.'

sort of knew he'd end up taking it down.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #1983 on: March 09, 2023, 02:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gifted Hater Ls are starting to pop up more and more frequently
[close]

While I didn't watch the video, I feel like it would have been less of a L if he had just left it up.

For those who watched it, was it really that offensive? Based on @swellbowed's outline, it seems on par with his typical content.
[close]

I got to watch and it wasn't really offensive at all. I have no idea why he would take it down.
[close]
I wonder if someone asked him to take it down or maybe he was second-guessing his take. Definitely interesting that vid went private, there had to be some type of reason for it
[close]

he reuploaded to his patreon with a preface saying he removed it because there was a section he felt a little naïve posting the video publicly which had a section about cultural appropriation, etc that at that time wasn't well thought out and realized sometimes the general youtube audience needs to have their hand held through what he's saying without it being looked at the wrong way or out of context. the version on patreon is a little more annotated than what was uploaded to youtube. he also felt as a white person, he doesn't have the say who gets to use black culture. bringing it back to where he strives to keep the channel not political.

imo, i think he should have uploaded the Ted/Jenkem video onto his YouTube and then the Kader/Violet video on Patreon.

he also seems a little burnt out. not uploading to youtube as frequently as he used to, on top of all the videos made on him following his street part, he said he does not like the current climate of youtube and finds it toxic and weird. he seems to be finding some solace when he twitch streams and has these patreon vids.
[close]

YouTube is way to toxic for my crowdsourced bulling videos.  Might be his wildest take yet.

Yeah seriously I actually lol'd reading that.

He has made his fame shitting on and bullying easy targets like Berra, Nyjah etc.

He is the toxicity

Also anytime he posts anything about a respected brand or skater he wimps out and takes it down straight away using some pseudo intellectual bollocks to justify it.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1984 on: March 09, 2023, 09:37:22 AM »
Could someone dm me the jenkem video please
check my music

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1985 on: March 09, 2023, 10:05:00 AM »

Me too.

Edit: thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 06:42:27 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

welcometohelp

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1986 on: March 09, 2023, 10:22:14 AM »
maybe but not the worst decision taking the video down given how much information in it seemed lackadaisical.

-the critique of Strobeck owning a company that has used primarily black imagery/culture is somewhat valid, but considering he's stated how open he is to allowing the team to shape the aesthetic and vision for the brand, I wouldn't say it's as much Strobeck capitalizing on black culture as it is a brand aesthetic representative of a team that's majority black. standalone drops from Kyle Teh are a good example of this. definitely better than Bill imposing a white brand identity upon the team's black riders.

-he implied that the wood from the latest Peace board drops are sub-par, which is reflected in their pricepoint. Violet has used PS and BBS for their most recent drops, arguably the woodshops with the highest reputation for quality. with such a simple graphic, it seems logical that the pricepoint is reflected in the simplified screen process for the decks, and not the wood quality. he goes on to say that he doesn't know how selling boards for $48 could be profitable. I think someone of Joa's status & connection to the industry should well know what is profitable/margins look like between brands and woodshops. selling decks for $48 is definitely well within profitable margins without compromising quality, albeit not as profitable as $70/board.

-finally, I don't remember exactly how he said it but he seemed to imply that Strobeck started the brand as a way to capitalize on another group of kids, but it seems clear that the brand was started to give a home to a crew of kids that likely weren't going to find a place on FA/Hockey, and it made more sense to build a brand that would support the whole crew, instead of only a few of them making it.

normally I wouldn't care but given the size of his audience and how many kids take his word as scripture, I think it's important to clarify potential misinformation, especially in regards to brand identities, product, and accusations of cultural appropriation.

additionally, given that its surmised he now makes +$120k/yr just off this type of content, I think it would be responsible to ensure the information is correct before broadcasting it to his audience considering he's essentially turning a profit on other's misfortunes.

I like watching his videos but agree that his content and the bubble it exists in seems destined to inevitably burst.

i like his videos as well but this is the thing i’ve been curious about lately - how does he keep getting away with being wrong so often. i get he’s a youtuber and not a publication but fools pay him, the least he could do is do his due diligence. seems like his “job” is getting too hard for him.

also kind of a pussy move to upload, delete, change it, then reupload. stand by what you say, or don’t publish in the first place.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1987 on: March 09, 2023, 10:56:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Me too.
me as well pls

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1988 on: March 09, 2023, 10:57:51 AM »
he has actually used his brain + the power of youtube to monetize slap. a huge chunk of what he presents is already information that i gleaned myself from reading these message boards. but not everyone can containerize it the way he has into a digestable format for youtube like he can.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1989 on: March 09, 2023, 11:21:20 AM »
Expand Quote
maybe but not the worst decision taking the video down given how much information in it seemed lackadaisical.

-the critique of Strobeck owning a company that has used primarily black imagery/culture is somewhat valid, but considering he's stated how open he is to allowing the team to shape the aesthetic and vision for the brand, I wouldn't say it's as much Strobeck capitalizing on black culture as it is a brand aesthetic representative of a team that's majority black. standalone drops from Kyle Teh are a good example of this. definitely better than Bill imposing a white brand identity upon the team's black riders.

-he implied that the wood from the latest Peace board drops are sub-par, which is reflected in their pricepoint. Violet has used PS and BBS for their most recent drops, arguably the woodshops with the highest reputation for quality. with such a simple graphic, it seems logical that the pricepoint is reflected in the simplified screen process for the decks, and not the wood quality. he goes on to say that he doesn't know how selling boards for $48 could be profitable. I think someone of Joa's status & connection to the industry should well know what is profitable/margins look like between brands and woodshops. selling decks for $48 is definitely well within profitable margins without compromising quality, albeit not as profitable as $70/board.

-finally, I don't remember exactly how he said it but he seemed to imply that Strobeck started the brand as a way to capitalize on another group of kids, but it seems clear that the brand was started to give a home to a crew of kids that likely weren't going to find a place on FA/Hockey, and it made more sense to build a brand that would support the whole crew, instead of only a few of them making it.

normally I wouldn't care but given the size of his audience and how many kids take his word as scripture, I think it's important to clarify potential misinformation, especially in regards to brand identities, product, and accusations of cultural appropriation.

additionally, given that its surmised he now makes +$120k/yr just off this type of content, I think it would be responsible to ensure the information is correct before broadcasting it to his audience considering he's essentially turning a profit on other's misfortunes.

I like watching his videos but agree that his content and the bubble it exists in seems destined to inevitably burst.
[close]

i agree, he has to be a little bit better when he's presenting in his vids. especially when people are at the point where they withhold reading about any drama/industry news and wait until he makes a video about it.

he debunked that he makes the $28k/month people thinks he makes (Dumb Data), since he has to factor in the patreon cut, how much he actually makes from youtube (which at 100-200k per video but only uploads 1-3 times a month, not a lot), and then taxes.... probably projects less than $120k/year.

Poor broke lad. That's enough money to put at least a bit of thought I to his zero production videos. He seems like he just resents doing it now

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1990 on: March 09, 2023, 11:30:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

also kind of a pussy move to upload, delete, change it, then reupload. stand by what you say, or don’t publish in the first place.
[close]

this is a pretty funny thing to say on an anonymous Slap account.

I also like how acknowledging a mistake and correcting it is regarded a "pussy move". I'd say that's the only good way to deal with a mistake, but what do I know. I'm just an anonymous Slap poster.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1991 on: March 09, 2023, 11:39:00 AM »
he has actually used his brain + the power of youtube to monetize slap. a huge chunk of what he presents is already information that i gleaned myself from reading these message boards. but not everyone can containerize it the way he has into a digestable format for youtube like he can.

There’s a podcaster I listen to who once said “podcasting is the easiest job in the world but almost no one is good at it.” I think we can extrapolate the same thing about being a YouTuber. GH isn’t saying anything that doesn’t get repeated on here daily, but if one of us charmless gorms tried to make a video about it, it would be somewhere between embarrassing and unwatchable.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1992 on: March 09, 2023, 11:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i agree, he has to be a little bit better when he's presenting in his vids. especially when people are at the point where they withhold reading about any drama/industry news and wait until he makes a video about it.

he debunked that he makes the $28k/month people thinks he makes (Dumb Data), since he has to factor in the patreon cut, how much he actually makes from youtube (which at 100-200k per video but only uploads 1-3 times a month, not a lot), and then taxes.... probably projects less than $120k/year.
[close]

Poor broke lad. That's enough money to put at least a bit of thought I to his zero production videos. He seems like he just resents doing it now
I think the resents doing social media thing is pretty common. I said it for dumb data but I think it applies for gh and many others where they have a funny idea but then it just becomes their actual job. They've also kind of painted themselves into a corner because the money is too good to quit but the idea is running out of steam.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1993 on: March 09, 2023, 12:03:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
I think the resents doing social media thing is pretty common. I said it for dumb data but I think it applies for gh and many others where they have a funny idea but then it just becomes their actual job. They've also kind of painted themselves into a corner because the money is too good to quit but the idea is running out of steam.
A lot of times, people that are monetizing their takes are good at one aspect of the job but not the other. Or maybe more accurately, they like doing one part and do the other because it comes with the job. The best move is to spend some of that come up money to hire some people to take care of the shit you don't like are aren't good at. Fuck it you're probably gonna have to incorporate anyway.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #1994 on: March 09, 2023, 12:22:46 PM »
He's not the first person to get chewed apart by skateboarding and media but it's a new era and trying to have your cake (criticize professional skateboarding in a tongue in cheek hater fashion) and eat it (be a sponsored skateboarder) isn't the easiest tight rope to walk it seems. He's got different audiences that don't overlap so the only way he can truly spout off without getting skewered is on a platform like Patreon, which severely limits potential for growth.
The funny part to me is how dinosaurs like thrasher and the skateboarding industry at large are so bad at social media and let this undercurrent of kooks run the show (Revive, Braille, Others). Do they just ignore them all and group GH in with them, but then OMG Jerry Hsu cosigns the kid and now Thrasher looks dumb if they hold a grudge.

I watched the video and he's absolutely right about Bill being a weirdo packaging up black culture for sale but I don't think him phrasing it like "cmon dude look at mace windus lightsaber, i don't need to explain further why calling your company Violet is exploitation" is great evidence, so i understand why he'd pull it.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1995 on: March 09, 2023, 12:59:23 PM »
I was waiting for him to bring up the film The Color Purple, but he doesn’t know about anything pre-2000’s.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #1996 on: March 10, 2023, 07:04:47 PM »

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1997 on: March 10, 2023, 07:15:25 PM »

notskatetheorist

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1998 on: March 10, 2023, 07:36:16 PM »

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1999 on: March 10, 2023, 10:01:17 PM »
dropped twice today
not a whole lot of logical thinking from either side here IMO. the fat nerd that GH keeps giving attention for no reason seems to believe that LA skaters aren't allowed to complain about anything, and if they do, that makes them spoiled. but I think the pad complaint is legitimate. if you build a park and no one skates it because they enforce a rule that doesn't exist or isn't enforced at 99% of other public skateparks, then yeah that's dumb. seems like a valid complaint.

but on the other hand GH thinks since skateboarding was invented in LA, skaters from LA can't possibly be spoiled. to me, it's complaining about insignificant shit like yellow accents that make LA skaters seem spoiled. or parks not being "unique" enough. or the spacing or flow of a giant beautiful skatepark not being quite right.

also it was cringe as fuck hearing GH yell "WE invented it!!!" multiple times. reminded me how corny a lot of LA people are. you were just born there dude. you didn't build or invent anything. you don't deserve nice skateparks anymore than someone who was born in Arkansas.

if this was my first time seeing GH I would think both of these guys are equally dumb. luckily GH has had some good takes in the past, but his analytical content is lacking lately. he honestly seems better suited to just do funny vlog shit, but that's seen as super corny to skaters, so I'm sure he's reluctant to fully lean into that kind of content.

EDIT: Just noticed your username along with the fact that you posted this video... sorry for calling you a fat nerd m8 (even though it's true hehehe)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:26:11 PM by smellymoron69 »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2001 on: March 10, 2023, 11:24:31 PM »
I wanted to hear Ben's rant about the metric system...

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #2002 on: March 11, 2023, 03:21:15 AM »

notskatetheorist

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2003 on: March 11, 2023, 04:22:23 AM »
Expand Quote
dropped twice today
[close]
not a whole lot of logical thinking from either side here IMO. the fat nerd that GH keeps giving attention for no reason seems to believe that LA skaters aren't allowed to complain about anything, and if they do, that makes them spoiled. but I think the pad complaint is legitimate. if you build a park and no one skates it because they enforce a rule that doesn't exist or isn't enforced at 99% of other public skateparks, then yeah that's dumb. seems like a valid complaint.

but on the other hand GH thinks since skateboarding was invented in LA, skaters from LA can't possibly be spoiled. to me, it's complaining about insignificant shit like yellow accents that make LA skaters seem spoiled. or parks not being "unique" enough. or the spacing or flow of a giant beautiful skatepark not being quite right.

also it was cringe as fuck hearing GH yell "WE invented it!!!" multiple times. reminded me how corny a lot of LA people are. you were just born there dude. you didn't build or invent anything. you don't deserve nice skateparks anymore than someone who was born in Arkansas.

if this was my first time seeing GH I would think both of these guys are equally dumb. luckily GH has had some good takes in the past, but his analytical content is lacking lately. he honestly seems better suited to just do funny vlog shit, but that's seen as super corny to skaters, so I'm sure he's reluctant to fully lean into that kind of content.

EDIT: Just noticed your username along with the fact that you posted this video... sorry for calling you a fat nerd m8 (even though it's true hehehe)

All good homie I am pretty fat right now years of drinking every day didnt help lol

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2004 on: March 11, 2023, 05:24:22 AM »
I like both of these guys but had to turn this off a couple minutes in. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #2005 on: March 11, 2023, 05:30:42 AM »

This saved my day. Didn't wanna get up at all. Now gonna go skating a little bit. Ben is so fucking good

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2006 on: March 11, 2023, 06:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Im really curious to what nora as said about GH, anyone have some insight?
[close]

He called her out in a hateline for being annoying and disrespectful to pedestrians in a tiktok or something and she didnt like that.  Dont recall if she actually ever said anything on the record or if word just got back to him somehow
[close]

The video is here at 12 minutes, Nora was laughing at a pedestrian who got ran into at the Venice curbs, which is honestly really lame.

[close]

Massholes always be laughing at people tho. It don't mean nothing.

Nora is a goddess and I love her. She probably stumbled over hold her belly dizzy with classic Masshole slap stick joy and punched them in the arm with a Popeye quote.

Hey I ams wut I ams gagagagaga. Take me to your shanty I'll bait some traps to make up for it
[close]

Who’d a guessed uncle flea is a slush scooper.

Ha! I think everyone from Marblehead like really from Marblehead has baited traps as a kid
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2007 on: March 11, 2023, 10:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dropped twice today
[close]

[close]

All good homie I am pretty fat right now years of drinking every day didnt help lol

You’re the YouTuber?

Fuck a park that makes you wear pads

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2008 on: March 11, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dropped twice today
[close]

[close]

[close]

You’re the YouTuber?

Fuck a park that makes you wear pads
OK so Culver City is kinda my local I guess. I've been maybe twice. It's pretty fucked on a couple of fronts but the main problem is that they built a huge bowl that nobody knows how to ride. Huge bowl means even little kids falling in is a risk and there isn't really a shallow end. Pretty sure it's over my head or maybe eye level and there's a loveseat that I think you're meant to pull yourself onto and then climb out of. That's fine for adult sized people but not great for the kids that will mostly use the place. So the helmet rule gets enforced and there's an city employee there when the park is open. I guess the story goes some vert pros who may or may not be with us anymore lived nearby and had input on what got built only to wind up mostly going to Vans. I've seen a couple of older dawn patrol skaters skate it for a half an hour or so and then it looks like a place older skate youtubers will drive to but mostly I don't think it gets the use that a proper skatepark layout would have gotten. The park was popping when they first opened but it's been over a decade now and I don't see many people there anymore.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #2009 on: March 11, 2023, 04:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dropped twice today
I understand Joa's point but I wouldn't say it sounds to different from a kid ranting "of course I have the new iPhone, my parents are rich!". Like it makes sense but still sounds spoiled. The build your own park also sounds like if a rich kid said: "Why don't you just buy your own iPhone?". Not everyone's able to build a park let alone a good one