Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 379966 times)

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 112
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2010 on: March 11, 2023, 04:35:10 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCGb8Y1e7c&ab_channel=GiftedHaterClips dropped twice today
I understand Joa's point but I wouldn't say it sounds to different from a kid ranting "of course I have the new iPhone, my parents are rich!". Like it makes sense but still sounds spoiled. The build your own park also sounds like if a rich kid said: "Why don't you just buy your own iPhone?". Not everyone's able to build a park let alone a good one

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2011 on: March 11, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y10PDrJjRKQ
Ben and Joa are a charming duo. I hope they keep making videos together.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2012 on: March 11, 2023, 07:47:32 PM »
I like both of these guys but had to turn this off a couple minutes in.
this one was fine, there wasn't a lot of talking, but I usually don't like their colabs, it's like every time ben talks gh is praying for him to shut up

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #2013 on: March 12, 2023, 09:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
not a whole lot of logical thinking from either side here IMO. the fat nerd that GH keeps giving attention for no reason seems to believe that LA skaters aren't allowed to complain about anything, and if they do, that makes them spoiled. but I think the pad complaint is legitimate. if you build a park and no one skates it because they enforce a rule that doesn't exist or isn't enforced at 99% of other public skateparks, then yeah that's dumb. seems like a valid complaint.

but on the other hand GH thinks since skateboarding was invented in LA, skaters from LA can't possibly be spoiled. to me, it's complaining about insignificant shit like yellow accents that make LA skaters seem spoiled. or parks not being "unique" enough. or the spacing or flow of a giant beautiful skatepark not being quite right.

also it was cringe as fuck hearing GH yell "WE invented it!!!" multiple times. reminded me how corny a lot of LA people are. you were just born there dude. you didn't build or invent anything. you don't deserve nice skateparks anymore than someone who was born in Arkansas.

if this was my first time seeing GH I would think both of these guys are equally dumb. luckily GH has had some good takes in the past, but his analytical content is lacking lately. he honestly seems better suited to just do funny vlog shit, but that's seen as super corny to skaters, so I'm sure he's reluctant to fully lean into that kind of content.

EDIT: Just noticed your username along with the fact that you posted this video... sorry for calling you a fat nerd m8 (even though it's true hehehe)
[close]

All good homie I am pretty fat right now years of drinking every day didnt help lol

oof... you may be in the wrong part of the internet my guy, but I applaud your courage.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2014 on: March 12, 2023, 11:41:21 PM »
OK so Culver City is kinda my local I guess. I've been maybe twice. It's pretty fucked on a couple of fronts but the main problem is that they built a huge bowl that nobody knows how to ride. Huge bowl means even little kids falling in is a risk and there isn't really a shallow end. Pretty sure it's over my head or maybe eye level and there's a loveseat that I think you're meant to pull yourself onto and then climb out of. That's fine for adult sized people but not great for the kids that will mostly use the place. So the helmet rule gets enforced and there's an city employee there when the park is open. I guess the story goes some vert pros who may or may not be with us anymore lived nearby and had input on what got built only to wind up mostly going to Vans. I've seen a couple of older dawn patrol skaters skate it for a half an hour or so and then it looks like a place older skate youtubers will drive to but mostly I don't think it gets the use that a proper skatepark layout would have gotten. The park was popping when they first opened but it's been over a decade now and I don't see many people there anymore.

My impression is that the city and CCPD are the problem rather than the park itself. From my (negative) interactions with the local cops, they still have that good ol' boy mentality despite that the city has been gentrified. During the first few years the park opened I remember they would shut it down for days or weeks at a time, for punishment, when they found kids without pads.

The park itself was built in the mid 2000s when there weren't a lot of true vert bowls. At that time it filled a void. The street course was an afterthought, so newer parks are clearly much better in that respect. 15+ years later, it didn't age well. People should be complaining about it.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1083
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2015 on: March 13, 2023, 07:56:10 AM »
Expand Quote
OK so Culver City is kinda my local I guess. I've been maybe twice. It's pretty fucked on a couple of fronts but the main problem is that they built a huge bowl that nobody knows how to ride. Huge bowl means even little kids falling in is a risk and there isn't really a shallow end. Pretty sure it's over my head or maybe eye level and there's a loveseat that I think you're meant to pull yourself onto and then climb out of. That's fine for adult sized people but not great for the kids that will mostly use the place. So the helmet rule gets enforced and there's an city employee there when the park is open. I guess the story goes some vert pros who may or may not be with us anymore lived nearby and had input on what got built only to wind up mostly going to Vans. I've seen a couple of older dawn patrol skaters skate it for a half an hour or so and then it looks like a place older skate youtubers will drive to but mostly I don't think it gets the use that a proper skatepark layout would have gotten. The park was popping when they first opened but it's been over a decade now and I don't see many people there anymore.
[close]

My impression is that the city and CCPD are the problem rather than the park itself. From my (negative) interactions with the local cops, they still have that good ol' boy mentality despite that the city has been gentrified. During the first few years the park opened I remember they would shut it down for days or weeks at a time, for punishment, when they found kids without pads.

The park itself was built in the mid 2000s when there weren't a lot of true vert bowls. At that time it filled a void. The street course was an afterthought, so newer parks are clearly much better in that respect. 15+ years later, it didn't age well. People should be complaining about it.

Park is designed so fuckin poorly. I used to live within skating distance and I have a set of pads and even then I only went a handful of times. I’m not going to skate the 12ft bowl or the 10 stair handrail so I’d mostly do tricks on the tiny cement quarter running along the fence. Waste of space and tax dollars at this point.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #2016 on: March 13, 2023, 10:16:05 AM »
the classical music playing while ben smoothly rifled off the classics on that bank to ledge obsticale was like a moment of zen.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #2017 on: March 14, 2023, 08:42:40 PM »
watching Ben skate so good at his age makes me wish I could finally get surgery on my knee so I can start skating again. he gives me hope..

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2018 on: March 15, 2023, 02:58:43 AM »
watching Ben skate so good at his age makes me wish I could finally get surgery on my knee so I can start skating again. he gives me hope..

Makes me wanna knock off the piss and get fit

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2019 on: March 15, 2023, 06:13:05 AM »

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2020 on: March 15, 2023, 07:31:45 AM »
Kinda sad how having three kids nowadays is "Whoa, put your dick away!" territory.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2021 on: March 15, 2023, 08:48:22 AM »
Kinda sad how having three kids nowadays is "Whoa, put your dick away!" territory.

Yeah, that was a very immature comment.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2022 on: March 15, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »
Maybe having a bunch of kids is seen as irresponsible by gen z kids who grew up with doom and gloom of the impending end of the planet. I kinda see why they would view it that way but to comment on it on his platform is pretty distasteful.

mindfuzz

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2023 on: March 15, 2023, 10:17:19 AM »
Four kids is a lot of kids though

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #2024 on: March 15, 2023, 10:19:16 AM »

I didn't watch the clip, so I don't know the tone in which it was conveyed, but I definitely agree with the sentiment. I have one kid and literally can't imagine the rationale for having more than 3.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

smellymoron69

« Reply #2025 on: March 15, 2023, 10:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't watch the clip, so I don't know the tone in which it was conveyed, but I definitely agree with the sentiment. I have one kid and literally can't imagine the rationale for having more than 3.
Yeah I have 0 kids and want 0, but some people are just into that kind of life, and I think it's fine as long as you can support your family.

I guess it was his tone, probably. Like you would imagine he was talking about Dwight Howard having nine kids with seven women, or whatever his situation is (lol).

Not a big deal, just noting how attitudes have changed really. Tom grew up in a big family and seems to enjoy that kind of life: https://youtu.be/OLQn9kQxsZ0?t=325
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:58:43 AM by smellymoron69 »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2026 on: March 15, 2023, 10:42:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah I have 0 kids and want 0, but some people are just into that kind of life, and I think it's fine as long as you can support your family.

I guess it was his tone, probably. Like you would imagine he was talking about Dwight Howard having nine kids with seven women, or whatever his situation is (lol).

Not a big deal, just noting how attitudes have changed really. He grew in a big family and seems to enjoy that kind of life: https://youtu.be/OLQn9kQxsZ0?t=325
GH just jealous because he hasn't even had sex four times

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
« Reply #2027 on: March 15, 2023, 11:07:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty fried take from GH tbh. Tom is not Nick Cannon just pumping out kids with a bunch of baby mommas.

He seems like he has a nice family, and has featured his kids and wife in a few vids.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #2028 on: March 15, 2023, 12:01:13 PM »
Modest House is the name of my Modest Mouse cover band. We fucking suck.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #2029 on: March 15, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
y'all are really reaching about that kid comment

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #2030 on: March 15, 2023, 12:36:40 PM »
omg he joked about having kids

GET HIM

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #2031 on: March 15, 2023, 12:40:20 PM »
i think, like people have said, it's a just gen z kid in their early 20's who genuinely can't get their head around the idea that some people get married and have kids. and to be fair, it probably would seem very alien to him.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2032 on: March 15, 2023, 12:42:21 PM »
And he’s unilaterally adopted Ben D as his dad……..how many kids is that now?  Maybe having kids is the key to longevity…..

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2033 on: March 15, 2023, 12:46:18 PM »
y'all are really reaching about that kid comment

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2034 on: March 15, 2023, 03:23:18 PM »
y'all soft as baby shit

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2035 on: March 15, 2023, 03:39:26 PM »
Lol what a weird thing to get hung up on. 

smellymoron69

« Reply #2036 on: March 15, 2023, 08:28:55 PM »
Well it seemed like the whole point of that segment was just to force that joke three times. Was there even any commentary that was remotely interesting? He said what we all know, that Krooked is kinda boring, but fine, and a safe choice for someone at that point in their career. Riveting stuff. I guess you have to pay a monthly fee to hear him say anything slightly interesting nowadays.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2037 on: March 15, 2023, 11:32:53 PM »
This guy is such a toddler lol

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #2038 on: March 15, 2023, 11:39:57 PM »
Seriously

People pay for this shit ?

Krooked is boring. Mega take, how insightful.

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2039 on: March 16, 2023, 01:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gifted Hater Ls are starting to pop up more and more frequently
[close]

While I didn't watch the video, I feel like it would have been less of a L if he had just left it up.

For those who watched it, was it really that offensive? Based on @swellbowed's outline, it seems on par with his typical content.
[close]

I got to watch and it wasn't really offensive at all. I have no idea why he would take it down.
[close]
I wonder if someone asked him to take it down or maybe he was second-guessing his take. Definitely interesting that vid went private, there had to be some type of reason for it
[close]

he reuploaded to his patreon with a preface saying he removed it because there was a section he felt a little naïve posting the video publicly which had a section about cultural appropriation, etc that at that time wasn't well thought out and realized sometimes the general youtube audience needs to have their hand held through what he's saying without it being looked at the wrong way or out of context. the version on patreon is a little more annotated than what was uploaded to youtube. he also felt as a white person, he doesn't have the say who gets to use black culture. bringing it back to where he strives to keep the channel not political.

imo, i think he should have uploaded the Ted/Jenkem video onto his YouTube and then the Kader/Violet video on Patreon.

he also seems a little burnt out. not uploading to youtube as frequently as he used to, on top of all the videos made on him following his street part, he said he does not like the current climate of youtube and finds it toxic and weird. he seems to be finding some solace when he twitch streams and has these patreon vids.

Started a channel based on being toxic and weird. Doesn't like how it's mirrored back. Ok.