Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 403411 times)

grassblade

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2430 on: April 14, 2023, 01:29:08 PM »

the only thing she's earned at this point, is being clowned on

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2431 on: April 14, 2023, 01:46:34 PM »

the only thing she's earned at this point, is being clowned on

Weird, it’s almost like she’s living her dream and she’s stoked on it.

Shrinedescender

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #2432 on: April 14, 2023, 02:26:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Part of the reason GH went in on Beatrice specifically when he could have gone after so many other kooks in the industry is because she's given media attention as a representative of skateboarding. Him arguing that she shouldn't be pro serves to reinforce the greater point that the features about her in NYT, Vogue, etc. are unearned and a bad thing to encourage due to the standard they set in the subculture. That you can be rewarded for putting in subpar effort granted you can talk yourself up enough in interviews and market yourself as a respectable figure. His criticisms of Dill and those who prop her up as an "industry plant" attest to this point.
[close]

I hear you for sure.  But doesn’t that sound a little fear based?  There’ll be others if we allow this!  I’m all for some healthy gate keeping, but how is a Black girl who went viral on instagram, who inspired tons of female skaters over the past decade, getting pro status on a dying brand so much of an issue.  It sounds like some right wing scapegoating.  So many other influencer skaters get coverage like that too.  She’s paving the way for other female skaters to follow her path. The next generation is already set up so much better.  Just don’t buy her board if you don’t like her.

That's the problem

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2433 on: April 14, 2023, 03:28:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Part of the reason GH went in on Beatrice specifically when he could have gone after so many other kooks in the industry is because she's given media attention as a representative of skateboarding. Him arguing that she shouldn't be pro serves to reinforce the greater point that the features about her in NYT, Vogue, etc. are unearned and a bad thing to encourage due to the standard they set in the subculture. That you can be rewarded for putting in subpar effort granted you can talk yourself up enough in interviews and market yourself as a respectable figure. His criticisms of Dill and those who prop her up as an "industry plant" attest to this point.
[close]

I hear you for sure.  But doesn’t that sound a little fear based?  There’ll be others if we allow this!  I’m all for some healthy gate keeping, but how is a Black girl who went viral on instagram, who inspired tons of female skaters over the past decade, getting pro status on a dying brand so much of an issue.  It sounds like some right wing scapegoating.  So many other influencer skaters get coverage like that too.  She’s paving the way for other female skaters to follow her path. The next generation is already set up so much better.  Just don’t buy her board if you don’t like her.
[close]

That's the problem

THEY TOOK ‘ER JOBS!

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2434 on: April 14, 2023, 03:31:10 PM »
Kook Me Amadeus is more annoying that SlapGPT, wow.
The pant situation is out of control at this point

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2435 on: April 14, 2023, 03:36:02 PM »
Kook Me Amadeus is more annoying that SlapGPT, wow.

My bad, I’ll let you get back to the circle jerk.

burkel

• Rep: -2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2436 on: April 14, 2023, 04:21:00 PM »
I agree with Amadeus. My opinion is that if you're aware, as a white person, of the reality of race in America, the wise move is to not come after a woman of color. You can say that quite simply, in fact. "Not really my job to talk shit on this person. Being a black woman comes with challenges I'll never understand, as one of the whitest people on the planet."

You certainly don't have to, it just might be the more tolerant move.

Also, the cool thing about skateboarding is that since it's not a point-based system, Johnathon Athlete Switchflipbacktail is not always the one who gets his name on the board. It comes down to intangibles. Because of that, skateboarding is the perfect place for someone who is generally seen to have less value to make a little (and I mean A LITTLE) money from the industry and get some notoriety.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 11:39:33 PM by burkel »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2437 on: April 14, 2023, 04:24:05 PM »
lol saw that GH posted on patreon about all this shit
Didn't know skate Twitter existed

Edit after I finished his take on the Beatrice drama (pretty bad btw), he deleted the post ???

He should really stick to Borra and Nigel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:42:15 PM by Abyss1 »

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2438 on: April 14, 2023, 04:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote
because she's still doing something groundbreaking.
[close]

What is she doing that is groundbreaking? Not trying to be snarky, that is a genuine question.

Just being a black female pro. It's hard for le to come up with a list off top, so to me, that makes it pretty groundbreaking since it isn't really normalized as much as some folks are making it seem.

@pizzafliptofakie If I remember correctly, he went in a bit harder and for a longer amount of time to discredit her... second only to the biggest Kook, Elijah Berle. I could be mistaken though, I only watched that vid once through

Edit: side note, I don't think Beatrice being pro despite prioritizing IG will result in some net negative for skateboarding, which seems to be Joa's argument. Skating is large enough and has enough variety for cool shit to continue happening unaffected, having its proper place as the stuff really doing the legwork to influence and progress skating. I see more people entering skating as making it larger, putting more money into the industry, and something that doesn't necessarily water down the cool shit.

This still happened despite Beatrice being pro, and it'll continue to happen. It'll continue to be easy to ignore IG skateboarding if that's not your shit. Who cares? To make a big deal out of it and spend as much time as we all are discussing it is misplaced imo. Is Dick Rizzo pissed that Beatrice has her name on a board? Probably not, so wr probably shouldn't be either.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:48:41 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2439 on: April 14, 2023, 04:58:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
because she's still doing something groundbreaking.
[close]

What is she doing that is groundbreaking? Not trying to be snarky, that is a genuine question.
[close]

Just being a black female pro. It's hard for le to come up with a list off top, so to me, that makes it pretty groundbreaking since it isn't really normalized as much as some folks are making it seem.

@pizzafliptofakie If I remember correctly, he went in a bit harder and for a longer amount of time to discredit her... second only to the biggest Kook, Elijah Berle. I could be mistaken though, I only watched that vid once through

Edit: side note, I don't think Beatrice being pro despite prioritizing IG will result in some net negative for skateboarding, which seems to be Joa's argument. Skating is large enough and has enough variety for cool shit to continue happening unaffected, having its proper place as the stuff really doing the legwork to influence and progress skating. I see more people entering skating as making it larger, putting more money into the industry, and something that doesn't necessarily water down the cool shit.

This still happened despite Beatrice being pro, and it'll continue to happen. It'll continue to be easy to ignore IG skateboarding if that's not your shit. Who cares? To make a big deal out of it and spend as much time as we all are discussing it is misplaced imo. Is Dick Rizzo pissed that Beatrice has her name on a board? Probably not, so wr probably shouldn't be either.

I really hope you start up a shop.  The skate industry/community needs more people like you.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2440 on: April 14, 2023, 05:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
It's been over a year of this thread, started a poll to see how everyone feels about GH
[close]

only 14 votes. This is why democracy is a failed experiment.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #2441 on: April 14, 2023, 05:31:30 PM »
If y'all are cool with a precedent being set where skaters come up through Instagram, barely skate, and get all this attention as an "influencer" propped up by the industry than that's on you. You can continue to parasocially support by commenting "stoked for them" and "get that bag" under every corny lifestyle article and brand endorsement post while getting nothing of value in return.

It doesn't just go for Beatrice, though she's one of the most high profile examples, but for any person of any race or gender being propped up as a representative for skateboarding while doing none of those things to earn that place. Skating as an industry is subject to certain kinds of capital constraints, and as a subculture it's subject to certain kinds of cultural constraints; in other words, it's a zero sum game. The more this influencer type BS is given money and encouragement, the more it takes away from people who actually care about skating and are trying to contribute to it and progress it in a productive way.

The question is not, 'Is skateboarding big enough for everyone?' But how do we highlight who/what is worth highlighting with the available resources of the industry. Because while skateboarding can grow and small board brands that no one pays attention to can emerge with their own opportunities, what's considered cool and who the respected figures of the industry are will always be a limited circle. I think if we encourage people to take this kind of approach then we allow Vogue and the NYT to dictate what's cool in skating, regardless of their actual merit as skateboarders, and those people are ultimately rewarded with pro status over others. Call it fear based, but I think if you care about the integrity of skateboarding then its reasonable to call this kind of stuff out for the problems it raises.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2442 on: April 14, 2023, 05:37:10 PM »
Sounds like some people here would be happy with a governing body that can police companies decisions and to have a hand in deciding who should and shouldn't be pro lol.

If someone runs a brand and is happy to spend the time and money putting a new name on a board that's all there is to it. Time will tell if they sell enough to make it a worthwhile move. I legit couldn't care less if someone bought blanks and turned themselves pro with a clip of them doing a firecracker down a three stair.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:09:25 PM by Sila »

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2443 on: April 14, 2023, 05:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's been over a year of this thread, started a poll to see how everyone feels about GH
[close]

only 14 votes. This is why democracy is a failed experiment.
[close]

lol I had to do a double take at them numbers. Democracy, once again, wins.

frontshuv

• Rep: -16
« Reply #2444 on: April 14, 2023, 06:35:21 PM »
she seems friendly

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2445 on: April 14, 2023, 06:53:36 PM »
If y'all are cool with a precedent being set where skaters come up through Instagram, barely skate, and get all this attention as an "influencer" propped up by the industry than that's on you. You can continue to parasocially support by commenting "stoked for them" and "get that bag" under every corny lifestyle article and brand endorsement post while getting nothing of value in return.

It doesn't just go for Beatrice, though she's one of the most high profile examples, but for any person of any race or gender being propped up as a representative for skateboarding while doing none of those things to earn that place. Skating as an industry is subject to certain kinds of capital constraints, and as a subculture it's subject to certain kinds of cultural constraints; in other words, it's a zero sum game. The more this influencer type BS is given money and encouragement, the more it takes away from people who actually care about skating and are trying to contribute to it and progress it in a productive way.

The question is not, 'Is skateboarding big enough for everyone?' But how do we highlight who/what is worth highlighting with the available resources of the industry. Because while skateboarding can grow and small board brands that no one pays attention to can emerge with their own opportunities, what's considered cool and who the respected figures of the industry are will always be a limited circle. I think if we encourage people to take this kind of approach then we allow Vogue and the NYT to dictate what's cool in skating, regardless of their actual merit as skateboarders, and those people are ultimately rewarded with pro status over others. Call it fear based, but I think if you care about the integrity of skateboarding then its reasonable to call this kind of stuff out for the problems it raises.

When have institutions like this ever determined what’s “cool” in skating?  Also it seems like your issues lie primarily with Dill, not with Beatrice - who is simply living her life.  No need to villify her.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2446 on: April 14, 2023, 08:25:05 PM »
When has vogue or nyt ever dictated what's cool in skateboarding lmao. Sounds like a you problem.

Old head syndrome is funny as hell.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #2447 on: April 14, 2023, 08:51:24 PM »

Dude go touch some grass

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2448 on: April 14, 2023, 08:57:49 PM »
Hating on Beatrice's career has the same energy as shooting up a six pack of bud light with an ar-15.

Let's focus on skateboarding's real problems.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2449 on: April 14, 2023, 09:15:30 PM »
I have a massive pyramid of friends.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #2450 on: April 14, 2023, 09:48:28 PM »

Travel Skate shop has this shirt in size medium someone should send it to Joa I'm sure he would be happy to wear it

https://www.travelskateshop.com/collections/apparel/products/fa-beatrice-domond-class-photo-t-shirt

He can tape over the FA and write Sci-Fi

I like GH and I like FA I like just about everything in skateboarding that's why I've been doing it for 40 years

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2451 on: April 14, 2023, 10:45:09 PM »

I like GH and I like FA I like just about everything in skateboarding that's why I've been doing it for 40 years

I like GH but his skin is thinner than water

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2452 on: April 15, 2023, 03:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like GH but his skin is thinner than water

Yeah, I am suprised he posted that twich stream, some moments were embarassing. I ve had moments like that where I get heated up and start saying weak shit in an arguments and oh boy do I feel like dumb ass after. I cannot imagine it beeing broadcasted online after. 
At times it seems that were are witnessing the gifted hater to berra pipeline happening

Imo he is way better in a more currated video format or with a guest but those 1H30 streams are a bit rough to watch. Also sometimes the lingo he is using is rubbing me the wrong way, he talks a bit like some reedit edge lord 14 year old from time to time. I guess his brain is half skating half dumb internet shit.

If I were him I would take a break and stop posting and twiching every opinion I have online for a bit. Go outside on a sidewalk with a drink in the sun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:44:49 AM by dallou »
check my music

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2453 on: April 15, 2023, 06:17:41 AM »

It’s hard to accept this, I know, but it’s not 2002 anymore.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #2454 on: April 15, 2023, 07:22:53 AM »
Are any of you actually stoked on Beatrice's skating?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2455 on: April 15, 2023, 08:32:01 AM »
Are any of you actually stoked on Beatrice's skating?

I think she sucks. No style, no tricks, nothing. Probably one of the worst professional skaters of all time. But it still doesn’t matter.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2456 on: April 15, 2023, 09:13:44 AM »
I have a massive pyramid of friends.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2457 on: April 15, 2023, 10:08:47 AM »
You can suck at skating and still film a full part.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2458 on: April 15, 2023, 11:36:44 AM »
Yeah fr where’s the Beatrice part tho

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #2459 on: April 15, 2023, 12:55:54 PM »
Yeah fr where’s the Beatrice part tho

If this was all just a viral campaign to get me stoked about watching her part, it worked.