Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 379866 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 290
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #630 on: July 20, 2022, 01:11:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Slap <3’s bladerz
[close]

do BMXers still get shitted on ?
[close]
Hmmmm what's worse over waxing or chunking up the ledge? Get to a park or spot and it's packed with bmx or bladers? I think bmx is a bit worse. Which thing looks cooler? Bmx easy
[close]

At one point I couldnt go to a park without 2-3 bmxers showing up...and they do those infinite line loops around park and then just sit around
[close]

For me they like to ride into the bowl/ramps while someone's using it without any sort of warning. Did a backside air and right as I rotated to reenter there was a BMXer right at the bottom of the bowl just standing there with his bike just watching me. Keep in mind it's not a big bowl.

Sometimes they'll also just ride up right behind you as you ride up the ramp, full speed with zero warning. I hate them with a passion.

The rattling of their bike chain still gives me PTSD.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #631 on: July 20, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »
Guys... Bladers? They are called fruitbooters...

It's 2022, you can't talk like that anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVB6ef9JWSk
15:33

My best guess as to why skateboarding survived and rollerblading died in the 2000s was that rollerblading failed to make a lasting impact on the culture. In the 2000s we had the 900 and THPS games which expanded the core market vastly. We're seeing a similar thing in the market expansion over the last 3-7 years with the Olympics, more female participation and formalizing of the activity (coaching, skate camps).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #632 on: July 20, 2022, 01:45:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My best guess as to why skateboarding survived and rollerblading died in the 2000s was that rollerblading failed to make a lasting impact on the culture. In the 2000s we had the 900 and THPS games which expanded the core market vastly. We're seeing a similar thing in the market expansion over the last 3-7 years with the Olympics, more female participation and formalizing of the activity (coaching, skate camps).
I think the thing that really out the last nail in the rollerblade coffin was the razor scooter. I claim it all the time with 100% confidence but western Sydney is the scooter capital of the world. No matter how many scooters you think you have where you are we got ten times that easy, from little kids to 30+ year old pros. Anyway in 99 it was pretty much half skateboarders half rollerbladers then the blades disappeared and were immediately replaced with the scooter and it's been that way for nearly 23 years.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #633 on: July 20, 2022, 02:25:04 AM »
Fruit boots sound like some delicious fruit candy that I would like to eat.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #634 on: July 20, 2022, 04:11:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Garuntee you all could hit a 15 stair handrail on blades within the first month of messing with it.
[close]

I freaking dare you

when i was like 12 i traded my board for a pair of blades for a day with my homie and i couldn't learn how to get speed so he pushed me and i learned 3 different grinds (frontside, soul and unity) on a little box in about 15 minutes. i never wore rollerblades before that and i never wore them again but i'm pretty sure i could still do them. it took me another year to land a 50-50 on a skateboard.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #635 on: July 20, 2022, 08:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've seen this too and don't really agree with the youtuber, he's also some weird incel parkour dude from what I can gather from his channel...
For me it was obvious that bladers didn't have generations or Era's, most of them got older and had to get real jobs, and in 2000s the rating on "Aggressive Inline" (lol) for x-games hit rock bottom.  I remember that Arlo dude, MTV did some shit on him, and he ended up only competing vert all the time when rollerblading crashed   

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #636 on: July 20, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »
I was the exact right age for the 90s blading boom and have kept my eye on it on and off over the years. One of the main reasons it died is that, as a culture, it got completely butthurt by the constant pisstaking and instead of growing and evolving in interesting ways, it got fixated on trying to seem as tough and gnarly as possible in an attempt to prove the haters wrong. It gave rollerblading a really off-putting / needy vibe for 20 years.

Now that most everyone involved is 35+, rollerblading has changed quite dramatically over the last few years. Nobody left doing it seems to give a shit what anyone thinks and it has led to it having a much healthier, more creative scene.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »
there was  male stripper that roller bladed at the Niagara falls Ontario skate park around 05-07. He was pretty cool. He had a friend who would blade with him and wore a clock around his nick like Flava Flav @busey might remember this.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2022, 09:29:16 AM »
I can admit, I was into the rollerblading scene back then. Arlo Eisenberg was like the Jamie Thomas of it all. I even think he had a Big Brother article which was odd. I used to watch this video called Hoax 2 and there was a guy named Brian Smith. He ended up like being friends with the band Incubus and even being in an episode of Friends. By the end of it, he became a photographer and a decent one at that.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2022, 09:35:27 AM »
I can admit, I was into the rollerblading scene back then. Arlo Eisenberg was like the Jamie Thomas of it all. I even think he had a Big Brother article which was odd. I used to watch this video called Hoax 2 and there was a guy named Brian Smith. He ended up like being friends with the band Incubus and even being in an episode of Friends. By the end of it, he became a photographer and a decent one at that.
Being in friends is pretty sick lol. In Aus in the 90s we had this show that had two different pro rollerbladers as main cast for a while. That guy Calum Mulvey might be rollerbladings Jason Lee or something he has been in a ton of movies now https://youtu.be/BgwsI2Atm5k

doublesteveburger

« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »
a bmxer landed on top of me straight out of a bowl once and i had to get stitches on my knee

i'm not one to complain but man that was not that cool ya know

nevrwasben

« Reply #641 on: July 20, 2022, 09:44:59 AM »
I think that Gifted Hater would appreciate so much rollerblades derailment in his thread

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2022, 10:05:25 AM »
there was  male stripper that roller bladed at the Niagara falls Ontario skate park around 05-07. He was pretty cool. He had a friend who would blade with him and wore a clock around his nick like Flava Flav @busey might remember this.

Fitting they kooked themselves into extinction
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #643 on: July 20, 2022, 10:52:30 AM »

MTV did a show on all those dudes in the 90s, cant remember the name of the show...but they talked about that hoax rollerblading movie, only remember it cuz that arlo dude apparently had a cock ring and would flash it to chicks (Louie CK eat your heart out).

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #644 on: July 20, 2022, 11:04:12 AM »
Run an FBA on him. Then & only then will you know.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: July 20, 2022, 11:26:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

MTV did a show on all those dudes in the 90s, cant remember the name of the show...but they talked about that hoax rollerblading movie, only remember it cuz that arlo dude apparently had a cock ring and would flash it to chicks (Louie CK eat your heart out).

Yup.....he indeed had a piercing. You could like see his penis from the side angle but odd enough, they censored the women flashing their tits. I thought censor priorities were a little mixed up. Haha. I've watched that video so much as a kid which is why I never watch certain skateboard videos in the mid 90s cause I was watching that stupid shit. Still....it brings back good memories of when life was way chill and simple.

I think the height of rollerblading happened with the Japanese Yasutoko brothers in the X-Games. They were the Yutos of rollerblading.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: July 20, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup.....he indeed had a piercing. You could like see his penis from the side angle but odd enough, they censored the women flashing their tits. I thought censor priorities were a little mixed up. Haha. I've watched that video so much as a kid which is why I never watch certain skateboard videos in the mid 90s cause I was watching that stupid shit. Still....it brings back good memories of when life was way chill and simple.

I think the height of rollerblading happened with the Japanese Yasutoko brothers in the X-Games. They were the Yutos of rollerblading.

lol I remember those kids...I used to even watch matt hoffman on the vert...back in those days TV was limited so I watched every X-game comp...didnt they have downhill luge at one point.  yea blading pretty much got reduced to vert comps last I saw of it.

Bladers took over downtown SF at one point

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: July 20, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »

lol I remember those kids...I used to even watch matt hoffman on the vert...back in those days TV was limited so I watched every X-game comp...didnt they have downhill luge at one point.  yea blading pretty much got reduced to vert comps last I saw of it.

Dude.....I went to X-Games in SF at 1999 to see the rollerblading on vert. Little did I know that would be the weekend that Tony Hawk does his 900 as well. And Travis Pastrana jumped into the ocean.

The luge stuff in retrospect was pretty comical. Remember Biker Sherlock?! I just Googled him and apparently he died of suicide in 2016. Apparently from his CTE.

Kind of cool watching this video now cause they went down the hill that is near Lands End that goes straight to Ocean Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H-GE24GYgo
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: July 20, 2022, 12:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude.....I went to X-Games in SF at 1999 to see the rollerblading on vert. Little did I know that would be the weekend that Tony Hawk does his 900 as well. And Travis Pastrana jumped into the ocean.

The luge stuff in retrospect was pretty comical. Remember Biker Sherlock?! I just Googled him and apparently he died of suicide in 2016. Apparently from his CTE.

Kind of cool watching this video now cause they went down the hill that is near Lands End that goes straight to Ocean Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H-GE24GYgo

Oh shit I went to that X-games, just watched skate street, I remember thats when a bunch of poser kids decided to invade and skate downtown SF.  I think the city banned the X-games there for that. 

Re: Biker Sherlock....damn yea I remember dude crazy

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #649 on: July 20, 2022, 12:47:32 PM »
Rollerblades kept parks open. It’s kinda fun. My google homie gave me a pair of Tar macs. Tar max?
I was still skateboarding but I wanted to try and go pro blader so I could get sent to Barcelona with my skateboard.

I tried to blade half of every day. I quickly mastered everything I tried on them and in just a few weeks I was much better than the sponsored kids around here. I had to make a choice. I chose skateboarding.

Was probably the wrong choice because I could do anything on the rbs. I threw out my brand new K2 rbs because I felt like I had let down everyone who hated my queer ass.

How could I sell out on all those homophobic skaters who spent every day hating on me regardless of how high I could flip my board?

Lol. 

I’m ok with my choice. I wish I still had those stupid $500 rollerblades tho.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 01:14:43 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #650 on: July 20, 2022, 01:15:32 PM »
Roller blades are wack tho.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #651 on: July 20, 2022, 02:06:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Those dudes were insane. They were so much better than everyone else on the pipe. They went higher than everyone else. They spun more than everyone else. Flipping and spinning on every axis. It was crazy how next level they were compared to the rest. It was them, and then everyone else was a tier or two below. I was sad when they got rid of inline at the XGames because I loved watching those two even though I didn't know much about inline.

I'm watching this now (EDIT: I changed it to the timestamp where the brothers do their first runs back-to-back):

https://youtu.be/9PS0FfVTMno?t=596

Jesus, these guys are so insane that the one brother bailed a trick in the middle of his run, and still climbed into second place with a 91.50. Insane how next level they are.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:19:56 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #652 on: July 20, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Those dudes were insane. They were so much better than everyone else on the pipe. They went higher than everyone else. They spun more than everyone else. Flipping and spinning on every axis. It was crazy how next level they were compared to the rest. It was them, and then everyone else was a tier or two below. I was sad when they got rid of inline at the XGames because I loved watching those two even though I didn't know much about inline.

I'm watching this now (EDIT: I changed it to the timestamp where the brothers do their first runs back-to-back):

https://youtu.be/9PS0FfVTMno?t=596

Jesus, these guys are so insane that the one brother bailed a trick in the middle of his run, and still climbed into second place with a 91.50. Insane how next level they are.

ALL RESPECT for the yasutoko brothers. Those dudes were mind blowing.

Also, anyone from the 90s who says brink wasn’t their favorite movie growing up is a liar

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #653 on: July 20, 2022, 07:20:01 PM »
X-Games was honestly so sick back then...rollerblading, street luge, rock climbing.

I remember my mom buying me like a Tech Deck style finger street luge...

Anyone remember playing that Aggressive Inline video game for, I think, PS2?

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #654 on: July 20, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #655 on: July 20, 2022, 10:14:57 PM »
X-Games was honestly so sick back then...rollerblading, street luge, rock climbing.

I remember my mom buying me like a Tech Deck style finger street luge...

Anyone remember playing that Aggressive Inline video game for, I think, PS2?

Yeah, I think it was made by the guys who made the Dave Mirra games (which were also great)... and then they made BMX XXX lol...
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
« Reply #656 on: July 21, 2022, 04:12:29 AM »
WTF did I hibernate unknowingly, was I in a coma? And did SLAP somehow got all rollerblade and BMX friendly in the meantime?

Man that one time I posted a snowboarding clip here I got kooked to -67K :)

tonitonne

« Reply #657 on: July 21, 2022, 04:56:48 AM »
Yeah rollerbladers, BMX, and scooters definitely suck as well as 90% of the people who post on here. Gifted hater sucks too. My dog knows more about skateboarding than him. 

bolts the snowman

• Rep: -37
    • follow @nycskatedaily on instagram! avatar image
« Reply #658 on: July 21, 2022, 07:02:27 AM »
Yeah rollerbladers, BMX, and scooters definitely suck as well as 90% of the people who post on here. Gifted hater sucks too. My dog knows more about skateboarding than him.

yo you are smoking DICK mixed with drywall. i do NOT tolerate any @foureyedjim slander

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #659 on: July 21, 2022, 07:44:43 AM »
RIP Biker Sherlock