Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 403536 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #660 on: July 21, 2022, 08:08:01 AM »
wow i haven't cranked it to BMX XXX in 20 years thanks for the reminder

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #661 on: July 21, 2022, 09:20:02 AM »
Early X Games were crazy, beyond street luge they also had events like "barefoot water ski jumping" and "sky surfing". Who the fuck does those sports? Nobody!

Look at how goofy the barefoot water skiing was. It looks like they just roll around in the water half the time. It also looks like a high speed enema.

Some of those weird sports ended up in the OG PS1 "ESPN X-Treme Games" game (I think it might have been a launch title).

Man the 90s were crazy. What the hell was going through everyone's mind? It's like after watching BMX and skateboarding and Mountain Biking grow out of nothing everyone just decided they could make up their own "extreme" sports out of thin air.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #662 on: July 21, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
Early X Games were crazy, beyond street luge they also had events like "barefoot water ski jumping" and "sky surfing". Who the fuck does those sports? Nobody!

Look at how goofy the barefoot water skiing was. It looks like they just roll around in the water half the time. It also looks like a high speed enema.

Some of those weird sports ended up in the OG PS1 "ESPN X-Treme Games" game (I think it might have been a launch title).

Man the 90s were crazy. What the hell was going through everyone's mind? It's like after watching BMX and skateboarding and Mountain Biking grow out of nothing everyone just decided they could make up their own "extreme" sports out of thin air.

Mountain climbing was the weirdest shit

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #663 on: July 21, 2022, 09:38:37 AM »
they need to bring this back.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #664 on: July 21, 2022, 12:43:48 PM »

Everything was possible in the 90s. I remember we once took old skateboard decks and nailed some belts on them and went to a gravel pit to surf down gravel hills. Didn‘t work but I felt like in a Mad Max movie.

Bladers sucked, they were the equivalent to scooter kids in the 90s, trying to be cool but failing miserably. It‘s been a very long time I have seen a blader, just two years ago I spotted one and was amazed to see they still existed. Like watching an endangered species.

I see a lot of skaters tho. Two days ago at the schoolyard there were skaters from different age brackets. A dad with a little girl learning to skate, two teenage girls tick tacking around, a twenty year old dude doing flatground stuff plus me, the old dude trying the same line for an hour without success. It‘s got to be quite popular.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

YawnJawns

• Rep: 6
« Reply #665 on: July 21, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »

Jake Hayes ollie @4:16 *chef's kiss*
Prime example of ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #666 on: July 21, 2022, 02:15:28 PM »

This dude is the Z-boys of canoeing.

I enjoy Gifted Hater content. on an episode the podcast he does with his friends called World Genius, the group of them are going off about how they have never read a book outside of school, and that nobody actually reads for fun, and when somebody says they read something they dont believe them. It was the most gen Z shit I have ever heard and Immediately turned me into a grumpy old boomer. Id link it but I cant remember what episode it was.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #667 on: July 21, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »
WTF did I hibernate unknowingly, was I in a coma? And did SLAP somehow got all rollerblade and BMX friendly in the meantime?

Man that one time I posted a snowboarding clip here I got kooked to -67K :)

LOL, that is rough and hilarious.

In the 2000s people were bored and angry and had no idea where to direct that energy.

Now, most people face bigger issues than angrily arguing over hobbies/interests... We gotta unionize our workplaces, take down Capitalism, guillotine Jeff Bezos, etc. Whatever people do to cope with the realities of Capitalism in the meantime is up to them as long as they aren't harming others. Its so hard to find happiness these days, that its not worth getting bent out of shape when others find a little something that makes their days less shit.

Once I get my Gnar Card I'll make sure to Gnar you for whatever snowboard post you made lol.

I'm imagining all the Slappers getting bent out of shape over a snowboarding post are these guys:
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #668 on: July 21, 2022, 03:39:28 PM »
Blades is wack.

I prefer the scooter kids honestly. Not much tho.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #669 on: July 21, 2022, 04:04:19 PM »
Blades is wack.

I prefer the scooter kids honestly. Not much tho.

Maybe if the parks were inundated with bladers I'd agree, but they're essentially extinct. Scooter kids ruin every park, it's not even a competition to me, they're clearly worse in my opinion.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #670 on: July 21, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »

this was dope. i was kind of waiting for his hammer at the end though...

i wonder if you could lay down in the canoe and brace yourself under those crossbeam bits and do a barrel roll and come back around with the suit still dry.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #671 on: July 21, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This dude is the Z-boys of canoeing.

I enjoy Gifted Hater content. on an episode the podcast he does with his friends called World Genius, the group of them are going off about how they have never read a book outside of school, and that nobody actually reads for fun, and when somebody says they read something they dont believe them. It was the most gen Z shit I have ever heard and Immediately turned me into a grumpy old boomer. Id link it but I cant remember what episode it was.
The real gen z-ness is them thinking it's in any way an original idea and not something every dummy has been saying since the invention of radio

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #672 on: July 21, 2022, 10:12:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i wonder if you could lay down in the canoe and brace yourself under those crossbeam bits and do a barrel roll and come back around with the suit still dry.

Interesting idea but not a chance, you'd need a shit ton of force to smoothly roll something that open fast enough to not take on water. Way more than you could generate, especially ducking down between the seats. Actually I'd imagine it would snap your paddle or break the canoe. You can roll kayaks because the actual opening is way smaller (and often skirted) as well as the shape being more unstable and conducive to it. Canoes can be nimble but they're fundamentally more stable and slow to respond. It's like the difference between trying to kickflip a 7.75" deck and double flip a 12" wide longboard barefoot.

I was very outdoorsy growing up and my best friend and I had a Walmart canoe so we would take the safety certification course at our local hunting and fishing club every year. Part of it was partially submerging your canoe and then flipping it and having to recover and get back in. It was always a bitch and took us a couple attempts... granted our canoe was big and unwieldy as fuck. The dudes like this who had $10k handmade wood ones wouldn't even risk doing it in there's, they'd just qualify in the club shitbox or borrow someone else's.

Never thought I'd make a canoe know-it-all post, but this is what my life has lead me to.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #673 on: July 21, 2022, 10:14:50 PM »
it takes one to know one, GH is a bit of a pseudo intellectual.

Fraserjamesjollyjamieson

• Rep: -17
  • Brown 2
« Reply #674 on: July 22, 2022, 12:57:45 AM »
I’m from Scotland and until recently a lot of our indoor parks still looked like a 90s x games course so there’s still quite a lot of bladers going around, I remember about ten years ago when I was in primary there was a big thing about getting blades and it being the cool thing to do loads of people in my school did it

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #675 on: July 22, 2022, 01:10:26 AM »
I’m from Scotland and until recently a lot of our indoor parks still looked like a 90s x games course so there’s still quite a lot of bladers going around, I remember about ten years ago when I was in primary there was a big thing about getting blades and it being the cool thing to do loads of people in my school did it
I feel like this is the only way rollerblades really make sense. Especially for younger people who don't have cars. Thinking about the teen days with no parks it was like skate a km to the bus stop, get a bus, skate half a km to the train, get the train, then whatever place we're at is like skate to a spot, skate the spot for a bit, skate to another spot, repeat etc doing that on rollerblades seems like such a pain in the ass especially with constantly having to take them off and put shoes on then swap back and have to carry your shoes around everywhere

dannyprovolone

« Reply #676 on: July 22, 2022, 05:49:37 AM »
what yall know about downhill modified shovel racing

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #677 on: July 22, 2022, 06:59:24 AM »
It also looks like a high speed enema.

Hahaha
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #678 on: July 22, 2022, 07:32:12 AM »

LMAO this if fucking ridiculous. If you and your friends go out to the lake for a weekend and fuck around like this, I guess whatever, but to put it on TV as a competition and act serious about the it....nah.

Check it out @ 4:31... you've gotta be kidding me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:42:35 AM by HeavyAndExpensive »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #679 on: July 22, 2022, 07:48:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

LMAO this if fucking ridiculous. If you and your friends go out to the lake for a weekend and fuck around like this, I guess whatever, but to put it on TV as a competition and act serious about the it....nah.

He holds an interesting record as well.  So he once began his barefoot waterski run by jumping off a 67 ft platform or cliff?  They seem like two unrelated events.  It’s like holding a record for most crabs picked before flying a kite.

I actually like this kind of thing though and wish more of these niche sports were on tv.  It’s interesting seeing what people are passionate about that seem so alien as someone that isn’t involved in it.  Probably how jumping down shit and grinding on urban infrastructure on wooden platforms looks like to people that don’t skate.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #680 on: July 22, 2022, 09:45:46 AM »
Expand Quote
there was  male stripper that roller bladed at the Niagara falls Ontario skate park around 05-07. He was pretty cool. He had a friend who would blade with him and wore a clock around his nick like Flava Flav @busey might remember this.
[close]

Fitting they kooked themselves into extinction
i do! and they would bail 360s out of the bank which was odd because you just kind of had to jump and spin, but whatever
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #681 on: July 22, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »
I melted some faces a month ago by standing in a canoe, and sort of shoving it behind me, and jumping over the cross beam in the middle. Skate skills translate into freestyle canoeing.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Interesting idea but not a chance, you'd need a shit ton of force to smoothly roll something that open fast enough to not take on water. Way more than you could generate, especially ducking down between the seats. Actually I'd imagine it would snap your paddle or break the canoe. You can roll kayaks because the actual opening is way smaller (and often skirted) as well as the shape being more unstable and conducive to it. Canoes can be nimble but they're fundamentally more stable and slow to respond. It's like the difference between trying to kickflip a 7.75" deck and double flip a 12" wide longboard barefoot.

I was very outdoorsy growing up and my best friend and I had a Walmart canoe so we would take the safety certification course at our local hunting and fishing club every year. Part of it was partially submerging your canoe and then flipping it and having to recover and get back in. It was always a bitch and took us a couple attempts... granted our canoe was big and unwieldy as fuck. The dudes like this who had $10k handmade wood ones wouldn't even risk doing it in there's, they'd just qualify in the club shitbox or borrow someone else's.

Never thought I'd make a canoe know-it-all post, but this is what my life has lead me to.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #682 on: July 22, 2022, 10:36:18 AM »
They also had skysurfing too. It is funny hearing commentators for this talking about the "hen house surprise" and "invisible man".

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

nevrwasben

« Reply #683 on: July 22, 2022, 11:01:41 PM »
They also had skysurfing too. It is funny hearing commentators for this talking about the "hen house surprise" and "invisible man".

Hahaha, I totally forgot about this!
I remember being stoned and watching this shit and thinking “yeah, I could totally do that; maaaaan”

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #684 on: July 23, 2022, 04:52:47 AM »

An entire "sport" based off a Coke ad.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #685 on: July 23, 2022, 01:06:05 PM »
Bladers are only cool when they also do graffiti like in Jet Set Radio

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #686 on: July 23, 2022, 08:50:40 PM »
I prefer 10 speed for graffiti. It’s definitely the move after cruiser board. Rbs would be a bitch to paint in
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #687 on: July 23, 2022, 10:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Here I am thinking extreme sitting on a stool was hardcore:
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #688 on: July 23, 2022, 11:26:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Here I am thinking extreme sitting on a stool was hardcore:

i love me some weird "extreme sports" but this has got to be nipple clamps tier of extreme gimmicks. the canoe shit is way above stool flipping

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #689 on: July 27, 2022, 09:08:08 AM »
Bladers are only cool when they also do graffiti like in Jet Set Radio
would love to see a blader pull up, do a sick throwup and then speed off lmao. especially if they’re wearing sick ass fits like they did in jet set radio