Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 392586 times)

double fakie ollie grind, benjamin krupp and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandatory Reload

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 78
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #780 on: September 06, 2022, 01:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Why are you guys acting like he's trying to be a skate history channel. He's simply a dude who's sick of the toxic positivity in skateboarding and wants to talk shit on current events in skateboarding. No more no less. I'm glad he's doing it and don't think 90s skateboarding is an important thing to consider when talking about nyjahs next crypto scam.
[close]
This is my personal least favourite interpretation of what he is.(no probs with you personally) what he does is say the safest shit possible that sounds like he has some sort of opinion. Energy drinks aren't cool yeah sick hot take dude. As far as knowing history i don't think it matters in general but sometimes there's obvious shit he just doesn't know and ruins whatever point he thinks he's making.

while you're right that his analysis isn't always that unique or original, i think what really makes him stand out and his input valuable is that he's undeniably really good at articulating those ideas that we've all maybe thought to ourselves or may even be pretty commonly understood in the skateboarding community but rarely verbalized coherently. yeah, we all think having an energy drink sponsor is kinda lame, but GH is great at succinctly explaining exactly WHY it's kinda lame in language that's both articulate and also accessible to the average viewer. that's a role that i don't really see a whole lot of other people filling and clearly his analysis resonates with a pretty big audience so i think there's value in what he does. sure, you can come here to Slap and probably find someone else gesturing at the ideas he uses in his videos long before he makes them, but most people don't want to come to Slap and scroll through 20 page threads of absolute drivel to consume those ideas, they want someone like GH to explain it to them clearly with a little bit of shitposty flair.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #781 on: September 06, 2022, 02:15:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are you guys acting like he's trying to be a skate history channel. He's simply a dude who's sick of the toxic positivity in skateboarding and wants to talk shit on current events in skateboarding. No more no less. I'm glad he's doing it and don't think 90s skateboarding is an important thing to consider when talking about nyjahs next crypto scam.
[close]
This is my personal least favourite interpretation of what he is.(no probs with you personally) what he does is say the safest shit possible that sounds like he has some sort of opinion. Energy drinks aren't cool yeah sick hot take dude. As far as knowing history i don't think it matters in general but sometimes there's obvious shit he just doesn't know and ruins whatever point he thinks he's making.
[close]

while you're right that his analysis isn't always that unique or original, i think what really makes him stand out and his input valuable is that he's undeniably really good at articulating those ideas that we've all maybe thought to ourselves or may even be pretty commonly understood in the skateboarding community but rarely verbalized coherently. yeah, we all think having an energy drink sponsor is kinda lame, but GH is great at succinctly explaining exactly WHY it's kinda lame in language that's both articulate and also accessible to the average viewer. that's a role that i don't really see a whole lot of other people filling and clearly his analysis resonates with a pretty big audience so i think there's value in what he does. sure, you can come here to Slap and probably find someone else gesturing at the ideas he uses in his videos long before he makes them, but most people don't want to come to Slap and scroll through 20 page threads of absolute drivel to consume those ideas, they want someone like GH to explain it to them clearly with a little bit of shitposty flair.

I never thought similar things to myself in a many of his videos the way he thinks out loud... and skateboard community, please tell me more about this community as a monolith

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #782 on: September 06, 2022, 02:42:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I never thought similar things to myself in a many of his videos the way he thinks out loud... and skateboard community, please tell me more about this community as a monolith

you don't think that there are ideas like the example that Mean Salto provided of "energy drink sponsorships are a little whack" that are pretty commonly held by a big portion of skateboarders? stuff like "benihana flyouts are illegal" etc.

i'm not saying that those ideas are correct or that every single skateboarder on the planet would agree with them but i feel like it's obtuse to act like there isn't at least some degree of collective agreement about some things in skateboarding, or at least that some ideas are prevalent enough to be considered significant. all i was really saying was that GH might not be presenting completely original ideas that no one has ever presented before, but that he's just good at articulating them well.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #783 on: September 06, 2022, 03:00:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

you don't think that there are ideas like the example that Mean Salto provided of "energy drink sponsorships are a little whack" that are pretty commonly held by a big portion of skateboarders? stuff like "benihana flyouts are illegal" etc.

i'm not saying that those ideas are correct or that every single skateboarder on the planet would agree with them but i feel like it's obtuse to act like there isn't at least some degree of collective agreement about some things in skateboarding, or at least that some ideas are prevalent enough to be considered significant. all i was really saying was that GH might not be presenting completely original ideas that no one has ever presented before, but that he's just good at articulating them well.

I don't have problems with energy drink sponsors... I actually think skateboarding is far from collective agreements,  but as Grosso used to say there are some unwritten laws good skateboarders observe, which I doubt includes hating on people who still do varial kick flips.   Dont really see GH articulation that admirable, his skating is decent which is cool, I though his critic of berra was good, but we all like a good Berra dis

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #784 on: September 06, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
I don't have problems with energy drink sponsors... I actually think skateboarding is far from collective agreements,  but as Grosso used to say there are some unwritten laws good skateboarders observe, which I doubt includes hating on people who still do varial kick flips.   Dont really see GH articulation that admirable, his skating is decent which is cool, I though his critic of berra was good, but we all like a good Berra dis

lol
The pant situation is out of control at this point

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #785 on: September 06, 2022, 03:58:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah god forbid he skips the woodward history lesson before making fun of undercooked chicken tenders and scooter kids jumping off of roofs.
[close]
History lesson? 2011 isn’t that old. And yes I will mention Brian Patch pretty much anytime Woodward comes up.
[close]

I was referring to the post above me who seems to think that Joa didn't try hard enough to dig for jokes regarding sexual abuse.

If you’re talking about the problems of a camp for kids, possibly talking about men trying to fuck the kids there is a topic that should be on the table. But I get he was just looking at it from a ‘ridiculousness’ kinda angle.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #786 on: September 06, 2022, 10:45:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol

incredible

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #787 on: September 06, 2022, 11:29:50 PM »

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #788 on: September 07, 2022, 09:57:05 AM »

That Mitchell and Webb Look was a great sketch show. I love British Comedy, especially from the late-90's into 2000's, which was a golden era (Alan Partridge, Saxondale, BrassEye, Jam, Big Train, Look Around You, Snuff Box, Nathan Barley, Mighty Boosh, IT Crowd, Nighty Night, etc.).
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #789 on: September 07, 2022, 12:24:58 PM »
-Just saw the woodward video. Damn, I wonder how often injury reports are filed there. I find it cringey that these kids families pay for them to be there, only for them to adopt a rebellious attitude as if they're stuck in prison.
-I'm surprised gifted didn't touch the whole Beatrice thing (I'm not aware if he did at least). Seems like he's usually up to speaking on the topics of the day.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #790 on: September 07, 2022, 01:43:42 PM »
-Just saw the woodward video. Damn, I wonder how often injury reports are filed there. I find it cringey that these kids families pay for them to be there, only for them to adopt a rebellious attitude as if they're stuck in prison.
-I'm surprised gifted didn't touch the whole Beatrice thing (I'm not aware if he did at least). Seems like he's usually up to speaking on the topics of the day.
beatrice video is on his patreon. he doesn’t think she is worthy of being pro(says she hasn’t paid her dues to skateboarding, very little footage etc), but is all for more professional women skateboarders

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #791 on: September 07, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah god forbid he skips the woodward history lesson before making fun of undercooked chicken tenders and scooter kids jumping off of roofs.
[close]
History lesson? 2011 isn’t that old. And yes I will mention Brian Patch pretty much anytime Woodward comes up.
[close]

I was referring to the post above me who seems to think that Joa didn't try hard enough to dig for jokes regarding sexual abuse.
[close]

If you’re talking about the problems of a camp for kids, possibly talking about men trying to fuck the kids there is a topic that should be on the table. But I get he was just looking at it from a ‘ridiculousness’ kinda angle.
The wall of positive noise is real. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them, not even the supposed haters and critics. This isn’t just a problem with Gifted Hater or skateboarding, either.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #792 on: September 07, 2022, 02:36:27 PM »
slap vs woodward lets go

veritas

« Reply #793 on: September 07, 2022, 03:31:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

lol
[close]

incredible

dannyprovolone

« Reply #794 on: September 07, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
embarrassed to say im a grown man and downloaded twitch to listen to this guy. his content is good tho.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #795 on: September 07, 2022, 09:12:22 PM »
he makes videos for people who spend $140 on pants and or are under the age of 18 is all hes trying to say im pretty sure

I kinda stopped watching but to me it seemed like he was making content for parents of said kids.

Or perhaps their future selves
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: September 07, 2022, 09:17:03 PM »
slap vs woodward lets go

Also that's below slaps weight league. I mean it's like they got O Connor and Wooten and that's basically it. Only one of those things have a big future. Slap is hopefully forever and kids don't gotta pay to be down.

(A)pl(E)

rukes

• Rep: 214
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #797 on: September 08, 2022, 01:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

He makes it look easy
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #798 on: October 12, 2022, 05:13:28 AM »
hes bald👎👎

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #799 on: October 12, 2022, 09:13:49 AM »
Is joa still going? Haven't seen anything suggested by YouTube. I figured he got a sponsor or whatever and went off to be a real man with a jobie job
(A)pl(E)

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #800 on: October 12, 2022, 10:25:02 AM »
I don’t watch every video, but when I do it seems like he’s always in a new location. What’s the deal with that?

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #801 on: October 12, 2022, 10:31:14 AM »
hes bald👎👎

So am I have we got a freaking problem muchacho?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #802 on: October 12, 2022, 11:39:44 AM »
Is joa still going? Haven't seen anything suggested by YouTube. I figured he got a sponsor or whatever and went off to be a real man with a jobie job

same, I hear from slap he sticks to his patreon and twitch streams

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #803 on: October 12, 2022, 11:43:28 AM »
he posted a video less than a week ago lol

MorningSesh

• Rep: 75
« Reply #804 on: October 12, 2022, 11:50:47 AM »
He mentioned something along the lines of him being sort of forced to keep some of the spicier stuff and what not to patreon or twitch because youtube cracks down on the types of videos where he’s dunking on someone

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #805 on: October 12, 2022, 01:21:24 PM »
Dude was making about 10 grand a month from patreon. Prob less as I see there's a 5 dollar tier now when before it was 10 dollar only. The youtube hustle is just an ad to sign up for that I imagine.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #806 on: October 12, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
Just did the math and assuming that the tiers are split 50/50 (unlikely but there’s no other sensible way to sort this), he’s still making $10,860 per month. He’s probably losing ~40% of that to taxes since he’s presumably an independent contractor, but still that’s a nice living for making YouTube videos, even if it’s not “buy a home in LA” money.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #807 on: October 12, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »
Just did the math and assuming that the tiers are split 50/50 (unlikely but there’s no other sensible way to sort this), he’s still making $10,860 per month. He’s probably losing ~40% of that to taxes since he’s presumably an independent contractor, but still that’s a nice living for making YouTube videos, even if it’s not “buy a home in LA” money.
until he completely falls off because his videos are shit

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: October 12, 2022, 01:38:04 PM »
I always hear from creators who use patreon that there is always a dip at the start of every month as people's cards decline or people opt to cancel, more likely that he is loosing money each each month while being able to make enough money to do his thing

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1197
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #809 on: October 12, 2022, 07:09:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
until he completely falls off because his videos are shit
sounds like you need some pussy big dawg :/