Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 379953 times)

swellbowed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« on: January 21, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »
You'd have to be living under a rock to not know about these videos at this point.
What's everyone think about the Vlog age of skateboarding?

maggot cunt

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:20:38 AM »
big fan mate

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 10:26:41 AM »
He's the content cop (idubbz) of skateboarding minus the very edgy jokes. It's straight forward criticism against the "wholesome only no criticism allowed!!" skate subcommunity.

I guess you could say he's a necessary "evil" even though nothing he uploads is actually evil or toxic. I am a huge fan since I'm so sick of the previously mentioned subcommunity. I also find it hilarious that he's actually an insanely good flow skater which can back up all the criticism he says.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:12:21 AM »
That boy funny
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 11:22:12 AM »
I think he is great. I'm not sure if he is/was on slap, but he is cashing in on something we could have been doing years ago. I am happy that he is making money.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 11:25:07 AM »
I like him hes a sly dog

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 11:26:48 AM »
he’s tight

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
He’s entertaining and makes some valid points especially about Steve Berra, cariuma, etc. I disagree with a lot of things he says but I don’t really care about that. Seems like a good dude overall.

whagman

• Rep: -13
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 11:37:51 AM »
lifted tater is a nerd, and slap loves him

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 12:27:11 PM »
His vocal timbre is unfortunate, but he has good takes. His skating is about at the level of pro-for-Frog, which I did not expect.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »
His vocal timbre is unfortunate, but he has good takes. His skating is about at the level of pro-for-Frog, which I did not expect.

I think you’re overhyping gifted hater and under hyping frogs teams. Joa isn’t doing shit like nick, franky and evan

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 12:37:57 PM »
 Wish he'd cool it with the Tik Tok editing but I appreciate him.

slothrop

• Rep: 13
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 12:46:43 PM »
He's the content cop (idubbz) of skateboarding minus the very edgy jokes. It's straight forward criticism against the "wholesome only no criticism allowed!!" skate subcommunity.

I guess you could say he's a necessary "evil" even though nothing he uploads is actually evil or toxic. I am a huge fan since I'm so sick of the previously mentioned subcommunity. I also find it hilarious that he's actually an insanely good flow skater which can back up all the criticism he says.

Does this mean we are gonna get an airsoft fatty documentary equivalent in the skating world.

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 12:48:18 PM »
I wish him and gary would team up for a skate/hateline episode.

Otherwise I could watch him for hours discussing nyjah.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 12:53:48 PM »
love his channel. i first saw his illegal civ doritos video and i was laughing so hard the whole time.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 02:00:47 PM »
big fan. he calls out a lot of the bullshit in skateboarding that needs to get called out (Nyjah, the Berrics, Illegal Civ, Cariuma, etc.)

however: i think we're all guilty of participating in the "cool-guy mentality" side of skateboarding culture in some capacity, whether it's buying into the idea of "illegal tricks", thinking certain brands/gear/clothes are whack, participating in the "you shouldn't push mongo" discourse, etc. A lot of that is natural and probably in good fun most of the time (of course it's fun to shit on skatepark bowl flyouts and benihanas or whatever, just like it's fun to be into ride-on grinds and wallrides or whatever else you think is cool right now). All of that ultimately comes down to what we find tasteful or cool, and there's nothing wrong with taking those stances, and although it's all subjective, it's a fallacy that there isn't at least some degree of objectivity to cultural tastefulness.

I think where I get tripped up sometimes is that dynamic creates a culture of exclusivity that is ultimately harmful to the skateboarding community. The barriers to entry for marginalized people (queer, POC, women, etc.) in skateboarding are already quite high and I think a big part of that is when you're already intimidated because you're different from other people in the community (mostly straight white dudes), it becomes exponentially more intimidating when you realize that there's this generally accepted mentality of judgement in skateboarding and there are unspoken hierarchies of coolness for tricks, gear, etc. that you're supposed to just be aware of somehow and adhere to. Sucks to think how many young women or queer kids etc. (or even just kids with shy or anxious tendencies outside of identity) might have gotten into skateboarding if that part of the culture wasn't so aggressive.

Anyways, the reason I bring this up is that even though I'm certainly guilty of participating in this mentality and I find these videos funny too, it concerns me that concretely verbalizing those unwritten rules into trick tier lists and gear tier lists and shit like that only serve to further that mentality and spread it to young kids. Gifted Hater does a pretty good job of trying to establish that these are just his opinions and that they shouldn't be taken too seriously, this isn't meant to be a dig at him, just expressing some hesitancy I feel when I watch that kind of content from him. All in all I think he's rad and has great takes most of the time (and a great skateboarder to boot).

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 02:01:07 PM »
I like some of his content, other times it seems like he's trying really hard to be ironic. Sometimes I fully agree with him and sometimes its a hard disagree for me dog, but that's cool.

The best part about him is that he's actually pretty good at skating and has cool style. I often like his skate clips a lot more. He should film a part.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 02:10:27 PM »
Got a lot of good takes and is pretty funny and also shreads. I'm a fan. Don't really agree on a lot of his opinions on tricks though, and sometimes it gets a bit irritating how much he always tries to be on the cool guy side

Also to me it's really surprising he's making over 5k a month from patreon. That's probably more than half of the pros He's commenting on haha

Monopolyman

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 02:11:42 PM »
Hes probably the most intelligent self aware and just generally with it skate youtuber to date.  His skills make it more fun than if he sucked, but its mostly his sound thought process that lends some appeal to his videos.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 02:16:31 PM »
Exposed skate pussy and her sister for the frauds they are.   "Pro skater" with the name "skate pussy".   Fuck you your goat humping sister.   GH deserves a pulitizer for that shit.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 04:14:43 PM »
fuck it i gotta salute him for doing that last video with the hicky on his neck tho

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 05:43:38 PM »
Dude is funny

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 06:06:45 PM »
Waiting on the full part.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »
Big ol’ fan.  He’s the only person I actually subscribe to on Patreon because his part reviews are packed with little details about stuff that I would have never noticed otherwise. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 06:17:58 PM »
Should be in useless wooden toy banter.

He's decent at skating. Don't really go out of my way to watch his vids, it's more concise to just casually browse slap.

Dudes vids are basically skate TMZ; so sometimes I'd rather not.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does this mean we are gonna get an airsoft fatty documentary equivalent in the skating world.

That's something I'd DEFINITELY need to watch.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 07:09:28 PM »
I agree with him on skateboarding should be gatekept to a certain extent.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 09:03:34 PM »
Sometimes yes sometimes no. Sounds like he is a cousin of a big bang theory character. Some takes are "good" but so safe/brain-dead like the equivalent of making fun of selfie sticks or something. Like yeah this thing sucks but everyone already knows it and you're adding nothing by piling on.

foureyedjim

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 09:39:33 PM »
He's stated multiple times that he is doing this for entertainment.  If you're taking any of it seriously in any capacity you should probably dial it back a bit.