Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 379800 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1260 on: November 24, 2022, 03:50:02 PM »
hes just saying the same shit we all say here, plus he kinda rips

don't see what everyone's big problem with this guy is
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1261 on: November 24, 2022, 03:53:15 PM »
Can't recall anything close to alt right memes being shared or used by GH, but I could have missed something. Any examples @EXTRA SPICY ?

See the association reference to Sam Hyde (ex. 1), and pattern of focus (ex. 2). The alignment and exposure of bias puts that into the bucket of “sus” for me. But take your pick.

Also, I’m not calling the tater alt-right. I’m pointing out he likes problematic internet characters who support the daily stormer, and that he has put a lot of focus on a topic for a black skater in comparison to other moments of contention in skateboarding. I would expect him now to balance that out to tippy toe around this issue. He seems smart enough to stay on his platform.

edited in bold for @mj23 ‘s clarity and a couple typos
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:41:24 PM by EXTRA SPICY »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

itsmarksdad

« Reply #1262 on: November 24, 2022, 05:57:18 PM »
not sure why the skate community is even talking about this guy. I know he actively skateboards but no one is talking about his skateboarding so why is he in discussion? Does skateboarding need critics like the music industry or movies? I'd say no. Let's stop talking about him. 

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #1263 on: November 24, 2022, 06:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Can't recall anything close to alt right memes being shared or used by GH, but I could have missed something. Any examples @EXTRA SPICY ?
[close]

See the association reference to Sam Hyde (ex. 1), and pattern of focus (ex. 2). The alignment and exposure of bias puts that into the bucket of “sus” for me. But take your pick.

Also, I’m not calling the tater alt-right. I’m pointing out he likes problematic internet characters who support the daily stormer, and that he has put a lot of focus on a topic for a black skater in comparison to other moments of contention in skateboarding. I would expect him now to balance that out to tippy toe around this issue. He seems smart enough to stay on his platform.

Not familiar with the Sam Hyde reference, but yeah that dude sucks. Would like to know what video it's in so I can take a closer look. Also, the TJ videos all seem like they're coming from a place of respect and ironic pot stirring rather than a genuine critique of any kind, I never got the impression  that he was seriously talking shit or questioning TJ's ability to do the trick. It just seemed like he saw something controversial relating to a huge figure in skating and made a dumb video about it, which is what he does. It was already a big discussion here, as many have pointed out.

To me his unconscious bias seems more evident when you consider the # of videos targeting Mikey Alfred and Nyjah, but those two are easy targets. That being said, they're not the only two easy targets in skateboarding... Has he been more critical of TJ in the past?

Edit: rewatched the first like 30 seconds of the video and yeah, he was serious in his critique of this trick. But I still feel like he approached it with respect and even mentioned he thinks TJ could easily do it unquestionably and was more curious about why they filmed it at an ambiguous angle? Idk, to me it just didn't feel like the hit piece that some people are making it out to be.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 06:29:42 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1264 on: November 24, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
not sure why the skate community is even talking about this guy. I know he actively skateboards but no one is talking about his skateboarding so why is he in discussion? Does skateboarding need critics like the music industry or movies? I'd say no. Let's stop talking about him.
Nobody's forcing you to be here, shoo

Fincher5153

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1265 on: November 24, 2022, 07:16:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nak has commented fire on a Gifted Hater clip before, I assume they are cool.
GH also knew ahead of time that both Nak and TJ were leaving FA.

Call me crazy but this is probably orchestrated between them to drum up more hype for the Tyshawn SOTY campaign.
[close]

forreal dude just so happened to be at the spot the same day?
[close]
GH was definatly hoping to be called a racist by one of the most popular skateboarders of all time
[close]
lol well someone posted a clip of him laughing his ass off when he watched it live, clearly not phased.
[close]

Ain’t no shocker. Dude likes alt-right humor and used his platform in the same way Weck does. Sorry chaps, facts be like that.
[close]

Feel like this is a stretch considering most of his mutuals are non-binary, trans, or gay. I did remember he said something about Sam Hyde, but I forgot what the context was. I mean I’m not saying you’re wrong but other than the Tyshawn shit there really isn’t anything I would deem alt-right about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QU2b62b80

^ Here's what Gifted Hater said about Sam Hyde. I said this in another thread: I don't think Gifted Hater is alt-right and I don't think his criticism towards TJ was racially motivated. But in any case, saying that you respect Sam Hyde is just yikes.

In case anyone needs some background on the guy, he's an alt-right comedian and he typed his true feelings in a now deleted Reddit Ask Me Anything thread, where he repeated Great Replacement talking points (https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/5gskcl/comment/dav7qta/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3). This type of rhetoric has appeared in the manifestos of multiple mass shooters including the Buffalo and El Paso shooters. He was even included in the Buffalo shooter's manifesto as a meme (https://i.redd.it/xi548cx9cjz81.jpg). All of these racist fucks love him. He also donated to the legal defense fund of the neo Nazi that founded the Daily Stormer (https://forward.com/news/475817/spotify-criticized-for-promoting-podcast-by-far-right-comedian/).

I just think Gifted Hater is either very naive, or has blind spots being a white dude. If you are a minority, you are not in a position to look past those things enough to appreciate his edgy comedy or "perspective" because his perspective goes against your existence.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1266 on: November 24, 2022, 07:29:23 PM »
Yeah lmao there are so many better examples of people who "keep it 1000%" than Sam fucking Hyde. Very odd hill to die on... I totally agree with his sentiment that you can listen to and have some form of respect for people who you don't always agree with, however.

DefNotJimmy

• Rep: -16
« Reply #1267 on: November 24, 2022, 07:30:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Call me crazy but this is probably orchestrated between them to drum up more hype for the Tyshawn SOTY campaign.
[close]

[close]
GH was definatly hoping to be called a racist by one of the most popular skateboarders of all time
[close]
lol well someone posted a clip of him laughing his ass off when he watched it live, clearly not phased.
[close]

Ain’t no shocker. Dude likes alt-right humor and used his platform in the same way Weck does. Sorry chaps, facts be like that.
[close]

Feel like this is a stretch considering most of his mutuals are non-binary, trans, or gay. I did remember he said something about Sam Hyde, but I forgot what the context was. I mean I’m not saying you’re wrong but other than the Tyshawn shit there really isn’t anything I would deem alt-right about him.
[close]

^ Here's what Gifted Hater said about Sam Hyde. I said this in another thread: I don't think Gifted Hater is alt-right and I don't think his criticism towards TJ was racially motivated. But in any case, saying that you respect Sam Hyde is just yikes.

In case anyone needs some background on the guy, he's an alt-right comedian and he typed his true feelings in a now deleted Reddit Ask Me Anything thread, where he repeated Great Replacement talking points (https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/5gskcl/comment/dav7qta/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3). This type of rhetoric has appeared in the manifestos of multiple mass shooters including the Buffalo and El Paso shooters. He also donated to the legal defense fund of the neo Nazi that founded the Daily Stormer (https://forward.com/news/475817/spotify-criticized-for-promoting-podcast-by-far-right-comedian/).

I just think Gifted Hater is either very naive, or has blind spots being a white dude. If you are a minority, you are not in a position to look past those things enough to appreciate his edgy comedy or "perspective" because his perspective goes against your existence.

Same Hyde more of a character than anything. Yeah he donated to that guys fund but that was more of a publicity stunt and weird journalism 1a freedom of the press shit. Witch honestly isn't exactly an awful thing considering where we are. We are an internet forum that tip toes the line of what is and isn't politically correct at times. Not as wild as an alt right forum but the sentiment the same. Where do you draw the line with censorship on the internet.

I think Sam Hyde is guilty of doing awful shit and saying the same. But the idea he is some bastion of white pride is the same forced meme when they cstfish the media with him being a shooter or the ghost of kyiv. Those guys in those spaces don't beleive that junk about him, he's a meme. Dudes just an edgy character. He don't beleive half the shit he says. He may have some shitty beliefs. He mat even be a shitty person. But he isn't turning normal boys into racist. Anyone taking that shit from his tv show or his internet personality is already racist. They don't become racist magically watching Million Dollar Extreme. Or watching his internet show. They already.

Is the alpha male redpill shtick harmful? Probably. But the idea of censoring the internet or journalism cause you don't like the message is a bit hypocritical on an online forum. As harmless as this one is that's a real slippery slope.

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1268 on: November 24, 2022, 08:00:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

In case anyone needs some background on the guy, he's an alt-right comedian and he typed his true feelings in a now deleted Reddit Ask Me Anything thread, where he repeated Great Replacement talking points (https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/5gskcl/comment/dav7qta/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3). This type of rhetoric has appeared in the manifestos of multiple mass shooters including the Buffalo and El Paso shooters. He was even included in the Buffalo shooter's manifesto as a meme (https://i.redd.it/xi548cx9cjz81.jpg). All of these racist fucks love him. He also donated to the legal defense fund of the neo Nazi that founded the Daily Stormer (https://forward.com/news/475817/spotify-criticized-for-promoting-podcast-by-far-right-comedian/).

SmilingBoy

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1269 on: November 24, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »
GH giving any props to Sam Hyde or Weckingball is just wack in general. Those two have been in the edgy shock humor "not pc" deep end for years. Just huge losers for lesser losers to latch onto.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -138
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1270 on: November 24, 2022, 09:46:45 PM »
wait wtf are people rlly thinking gh has alt right vibes

holy reaching for straws lmao touch grass

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1271 on: November 24, 2022, 09:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not familiar with the Sam Hyde reference, but yeah that dude sucks. Would like to know what video it's in so I can take a closer look. Also, the TJ videos all seem like they're coming from a place of respect and ironic pot stirring rather than a genuine critique of any kind, I never got the impression  that he was seriously talking shit or questioning TJ's ability to do the trick. It just seemed like he saw something controversial relating to a huge figure in skating and made a dumb video about it, which is what he does. It was already a big discussion here, as many have pointed out.

To me his unconscious bias seems more evident when you consider the # of videos targeting Mikey Alfred and Nyjah, but those two are easy targets. That being said, they're not the only two easy targets in skateboarding... Has he been more critical of TJ in the past?

Edit: rewatched the first like 30 seconds of the video and yeah, he was serious in his critique of this trick. But I still feel like he approached it with respect and even mentioned he thinks TJ could easily do it unquestionably and was more curious about why they filmed it at an ambiguous angle? Idk, to me it just didn't feel like the hit piece that some people are making it out to be.

Pretty hubristic to accuse someone of racism by claiming to somehow know the deep inner-workings of their brain based on the flimsiest of flimsy evidence.

Following that logic, we can also conclude that he subconsciously hates white people as well since he shits on Berra, Ryan Descenzo, TJ Rogers, George Poulos, Elijah Berle, Jagger Eaton, etc.

Really, really wanting people to be racist has become some sort of sick sport.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Squeak

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1272 on: November 24, 2022, 09:54:51 PM »
I think it’s absolutely disgusting that he said he’ll listen to someone’s opinions he doesn’t completely agree with

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1273 on: November 24, 2022, 10:03:12 PM »
I think it’s absolutely disgusting that he said he’ll listen to someone’s opinions he doesn’t completely agree with

Obvious and indisputable proof he is a grand wizard in the KKK.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #1274 on: November 25, 2022, 12:58:55 AM »
I don't like the guy at all and I loathe this style of internet dweeb content creator personality

But for anyone to say he is alt right is a gargantuan stretch

Seems like slap heads trying to start a rumor for vibes
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 02:11:34 AM by RichardBarkley »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1275 on: November 25, 2022, 01:13:49 AM »
it might be some irony but just in case... you'll live in a bubble with this take
Know your enemy

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1276 on: November 25, 2022, 03:41:04 AM »
@SneakySecrets of all people, I'd assume you would know the difference between suggesting that unconscious bias affects a person's decisions vs. calling them a flat out racist. They are wildly different things, GH is no Jason Jessee. I was also just sort of responding to suggestions that his Tyshawn videos were racially motivated, which I disagree with, and pointing to examples that would make more sense if someone was to try to make that analysis. Not really interested in trying to do that because I don't think theres too much there, personally (although it's important for white Americans like him and I, and presumably you, to acknowledge and accept that we have culturally programmed biases, and that we need to actively work against them as much as possible).

I enjoy the dudes content BTW, and he'd probably be the first to say he's not above criticism and doing some self examination. All that said, he's definitely racist against Steve Berra. But then again, so am I.

So sick of this kind of response to any discussion about the possibility of a white person in the u.s. having unconscious bias. It is such a triggering concept to folks that they rush to the conclusion that anyone who mentions it is on a blood thirsty witch hunt. It can be a rational and worth while discussion if you allow it to be, guys.

This is the exact kind of thing GH is addressing in the videos mentioned: agreeing with/respecting someone who may have faults or differences in opinion, as well as not placing anyone on a hero pedestal high above critique.

Lastly, I'd like to again point out that the people who have brought these ideas into the thread have said, to paraphrase, that they dont think GH is alt right, just that he is naive and has blindspots. These are not damning accusations, dudes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:30:27 AM by Urtripping »

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1277 on: November 25, 2022, 03:53:35 AM »
hes just saying the same shit we all say here, plus he kinda rips

don't see what everyone's big problem with this guy is

The difference is we aren't trying to monetize our shit talk like this fucking gossipy parasite lol.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:59:13 AM by TheVisitor »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1278 on: November 25, 2022, 04:59:54 AM »
He’s literally like Ride Channel in that he just takes popular Slap threads and tries to make money off them.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1279 on: November 25, 2022, 05:05:23 AM »
I read Slap and I also watch his slop. So what?

Anyone on here could do the same and I would watch and support them if they were entertaining (and not a right-wing kook).

I'm still waiting on @Uncle Flea to start a YouTube channel.

I think the key is to just have a good mic quality and audio mixing... And a good sense of editing and being respectful of the viewers time. The rest is just are you entertaining, likeable, or unique enough to hold my interest? I would rather YouTube be filled with passionate Slap users than most of the other types of skate vlogs we've seen for the past decade plus.

Also... I hope GH brings back their hilarious over the top editing. I think GHs primary talent is his comedic editing. Really talented in that department. Great at making a punchline with the edits and videos and sound drops. It seems like they've conciously been more restrained lately, but man I need another meme filled skatepark review so bad.

GH is how I learn about TikTok memes without having to subject my brain to further ADHD poison. He's essentially providing a mental health service
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 05:16:11 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #1280 on: November 25, 2022, 05:28:55 AM »
Has gifted hater actually covered the Mikey Taylor city council situation?

Last month I went into a deep dive into the Sam Hyde rabbit hole because I didn't knew him before. I read and saw things about him, which are so fucked up, but makes total sense about his whole character and his whole career. At the beginning I kinda understood his appears, especially if youre an edgelord and permanently online, but now I can't take anyone serious who's defending him.

Gifted hater defending Sam Hyde but making fun of Mikey Alfred is really telling. If course he's not alt right or racist just stuck in his adhd internet bubble. And he's not a teenager but in his mid 20s, so there's no age excuse.

Unfortunately he's the only good one doing skate gossip content in yt.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 11:17:13 AM by WavyDavy »

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1281 on: November 25, 2022, 06:16:05 AM »
Has gifted hater actually covered the Mikey Taylor city council situation?

Last month I went into a deep dive into the Sam Hyde rabbit hole because I didn't knew him before. I read and saw things about him, which are so fucked up, but makes total sense about his whole character and his whole career. At the beginning I kinda understood his appears, especially if youre an edgelord and permanently online, but now I can't take anyone serious who's defending him.

Gifted hater defending Sam Hyde but making fun of Mikey Alfred is really telling. If course he's not alt right or racist just stuck in his adhd internet bubble. And he's not a teenager butbin his mid 20s, so there's no age excuse.

Unfortunately he's the only good one doing skate gossip content in yt.

First 'negative' reply on the topic that I could take seriously and agree with.

I myself can't properly discuss the matter, I'm too dumb even in my own language let alone typing in english.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -510
« Reply #1282 on: November 25, 2022, 06:41:01 AM »
Gotta say, I’ve been enjoying GH content, but hadn’t heard of this Sam Hyde.  After doing so, I can confirm that he sucks and it seems like white supremacy is pretty core to his belief structure (Sam that is).  Hard to justify calling his other stuff smart, but GH might just be so amazing at separating the deferent parts of peoples personalities/beliefs that he’s able to appreciate subtitles we average folks can’t. 

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1283 on: November 25, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
almost everything GH says is sarcastic, I can't believe that he's sincerely promoting Sam Hyde.  I watched the stream when he bought the Trump hat, it was beyond obvious that he was being ironic.  And the Tyshawn video was an obvious joke, more poking fun of GH's own obsessive pettiness, then Tyshawn's skate ability.  Saying that any of this is in anyway motivated by racism or that he's somehow alt right is in incredibly bad faith and a cop out. 

congrats to T for going back and clearing the table this time. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1284 on: November 25, 2022, 07:32:16 AM »
^The issue here is that actions have consequences, no matter the intentions. Sure, he bought the MAGA hat "sarcastically", but guess who profits very real dollars from such a purchase. I'm not saying that's an unforgivable sin, but it's definitely not just a harmless joke, mostly because, like it or not, this dude has real influence on lots of kids. He, just like many other influencers, often behaves as though everybody is in on every joke at all times. He ought to realize that large parts of his audience won't be able to pick up on all his "sarcastic" remarks, some will simply also buy MAGA hats and get into Sam Hyde because that's what GH did. You speak of cop outs: It's a cop out to justify lame behavior with "he was being sarcastic". If that's the bar, most every type of behavior can be dismissed. What's frustrating to me is that he seems plenty smart to figure this out himself. Refusing to acknowledge his influence on his viewers, or rather to then act more responsibly, while simultaneously claiming that TJ went back because of his first video is disingenuous. You have influence or you don't. You either take responsibility for your actions or you don't. It's not a good look to pick and choose when you can be held accountable.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1285 on: November 25, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »
Nak has commented fire on a Gifted Hater clip before

How do people retain information like this
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1286 on: November 25, 2022, 08:01:23 AM »
Sam Hyde fukn sucks. The few things I've seen show he doesn't even know what the fuck he is doing as far as comedy goes. I've seen a couple things where he's talking to other comedians and as soon as he talks about what he does you seen the other comedians face change like oh this guy's an idiot.
His sketch show basically proved the same thing like I guess Tim and Eric saw that he had "something" and gave him a shot but all he did was be like omg so random while doing something offensive.
I guess south park watcher is an insult now and I'll admit I haven't seen it in years but it reminds me of when some bone head would quote Cartman thinking its funny when they've completely missed they entire point of the joke.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1287 on: November 25, 2022, 10:27:37 AM »

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #1288 on: November 25, 2022, 11:44:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it might be some irony but just in case... you'll live in a bubble with this take
Know your enemy

Feel you this

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #1289 on: November 25, 2022, 07:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel about the same— “respect” for Sam Hyde is pretty lame, but the TJ video really isn’t such a big deal.

Is GH full of unconscious bias? probably, he’s a white kid from Orange County after all. Probably why Sam Hyde’s bullshit seems appealing to him. And he’s a gamer as well, of course.

Time will tell if he shapes up or if he kooks it even harder. He’s been trying to walk a fine line for a while. Gaming and YouTubing and Skateboarding don’t really mix. That’s why some people find GH so uniquely offensive, I think. It’s also why I’m following his trajectory closely, even if I wouldn’t exactly call myself a fan.