Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 397680 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2070 on: March 17, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I have a friend whos vegan and also a hardcore milic fan and I winced for him at the bit about only leather/suede and all suede option of his shoe for the foreseeable future.
[close]

does your friend only skate boards made from vegan glue or whatever or is he just instagram vegan
He’s pretty realistic about it and understands he can’t 100 percent practice it and still do everything he enjoys but wants to do his best. Doesn’t advertise it much and isn’t annoying. I have no idea what kind of glue is in boards and if it’s animal friendly.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2071 on: March 18, 2023, 09:25:59 PM »
I was just being a huge dumbass I actually have no clue what’s in the glue but I like your friend for his/her realistic outlook on the positive impact he/she is making on this planet.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #2072 on: March 18, 2023, 11:09:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Modest House is the name of my Modest Mouse cover band. We fucking suck.
[close]
First time I heard them was while watching a part that used "teeth like god's shoeshine", I thought it was amazing.
Except I was wrong and the first song I heard from them was actually "float on" which imo sucks, it surprised me that it's the same band.

Couple days late but can't help but share

RIP Zane

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #2073 on: March 19, 2023, 10:20:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Modest House is the name of my Modest Mouse cover band. We fucking suck.
[close]
First time I heard them was while watching a part that used "teeth like god's shoeshine", I thought it was amazing.
Except I was wrong and the first song I heard from them was actually "float on" which imo sucks, it surprised me that it's the same band.
[close]

Couple days late but can't help but share

RIP Zane

Damn, I had no idea... Such a sick part, I couldn't find in the sea that is thrasher's channel, thanks

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #2074 on: March 26, 2023, 02:17:00 AM »

i thought the pretentious chipmunkrambling was pretty entertaining. he does a really good job at implementing stupid memes into his commentary you have to give him that

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2075 on: March 26, 2023, 07:21:06 PM »
rip zane. what an amazing skater
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Threadz

« Reply #2076 on: March 29, 2023, 10:17:33 PM »
Been thinking about joining his patreon...

Is anyone on here subscribed to it? Is it worth it?

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #2077 on: March 29, 2023, 10:22:07 PM »

yeah, considering that’s where he’s been posting 80% of his content lately.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2078 on: March 29, 2023, 10:23:31 PM »

I unsubbed a few weeks ago. He just wasn't putting out enough content for me to justify it and the stuff he was putting on it wasn't that interesting but sounds like people are saying he's putting all the good(?) stuff there now instead.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:49:44 PM by Safariferrari »

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2079 on: March 29, 2023, 10:35:50 PM »
I contributed for a month back when he was at his highest temp popularity-wise, and even then it wasn't worth $10 imo. Totally understandable that you'd take financial advantage of making your juicy content exclusive. Idk something about how he started off on YT then made you pay to watch the same content as he grew in popularity rubs me the wrong way.

Voluntarily or not, he created a borderline cult by putting the same type of content that was previously free on YT behind a paywall. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he doesn't post as frequently on Patreon as he did when he was starting on YT (at least once a week, sometimes twice a week), all the while charging you $5 - $10 to watch a steez tier list ffs.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2080 on: March 29, 2023, 10:37:14 PM »

the old videos on there are actually some of his best, but its been pretty bad for a couple months. i unsubbed a while ago

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2081 on: March 30, 2023, 12:34:47 AM »
If your like him I think It's worth it to subscribe for 2 months once a year
check my music

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2082 on: March 30, 2023, 07:02:59 AM »
I contributed for a month back when he was at his highest temp popularity-wise, and even then it wasn't worth $10 imo. Totally understandable that you'd take financial advantage of making your juicy content exclusive. Idk something about how he started off on YT then made you pay to watch the same content as he grew in popularity rubs me the wrong way.

Voluntarily or not, he created a borderline cult by putting the same type of content that was previously free on YT behind a paywall. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he doesn't post as frequently on Patreon as he did when he was starting on YT (at least once a week, sometimes twice a week), all the while charging you $5 - $10 to watch a steez tier list ffs.

I hear what you’re saying, but going from YouTube to Patreon is kind of the model of independent content creators these days and is much more reliable income wise than YouTube.

That being said it sounds like he’s not putting in the effort sometimes so I can understand how that’s annoying to pay for a sub par product.

I can’t really see GH doing the video content long term but I do enjoy his content for the most part. I don’t follow a lot of skate media so some of this hateline videos keep me up to date somewhat on the juicy gossip side of skating.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #2083 on: March 30, 2023, 07:49:09 AM »
The best video of his I've seen in a long while is his conversation with Ted Barrow about Jenkem. The two of them should just do a podcast and put it on Patreon, but barring that, I'd be much more likely to subscribe if his channel consisted of more than periodic streams of contest skating while he window shops for new clothing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #2084 on: March 30, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hear what you’re saying, but going from YouTube to Patreon is kind of the model of independent content creators these days and is much more reliable income wise than YouTube.

That being said it sounds like he’s not putting in the effort sometimes so I can understand how that’s annoying to pay for a sub par product.

I can’t really see GH doing the video content long term but I do enjoy his content for the most part. I don’t follow a lot of skate media so some of this hateline videos keep me up to date somewhat on the juicy gossip side of skating.

I signed up to his Patreon and tho its not killing my budget I haven't watch anything on it for the past 2-3 months, he posted somethin this morning with him watching the max palmer video.  this reminded me to delete my channel 5 subscription it look like andrews down for the count at the moment hasnt posted anything good for a long time now

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #2085 on: March 30, 2023, 08:28:43 AM »

$10/month is pretty steep considering the volume and quality of the content. I unsubbed like 6-to-8 months ago and haven't regretted it at all.

That being said, there really isn't a comparable alternative for skate-related YouTube content. He could really kill it if he was consistently productive. How hard is it to review more video parts or work with Ted more frequently?? Hell, he could even do something super lazy like brand overviews and skate history a la other goofy-ass channels, add his uniquely belligerent analysis and comic takes, and he'd be miles ahead. Not exactly the most original content, but I think it'd beat the bi-annual tier lists, park reviews, and hot takes he's been doing.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
« Reply #2086 on: March 30, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

$10/month is pretty steep considering the volume and quality of the content. I unsubbed like 6-to-8 months ago and haven't regretted it at all.

That being said, there really isn't a comparable alternative for skate-related YouTube content. He could really kill it if he was consistently productive. How hard is it to review more video parts or work with Ted more frequently?? Hell, he could even do something super lazy like brand overviews and skate history a la other goofy-ass channels, add his uniquely belligerent analysis and comic takes, and he'd be miles ahead. Not exactly the most original content, but I think it'd beat the bi-annual tier lists, park reviews, and hot takes he's been doing.

You can sub for 5 a month

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2087 on: March 30, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Laziness is a huge hurdle for him. The FA analysis video he dropped might've been the edit where he did the most background research, but even that video is dominated by subjective takes about Dill and the company. Dude's a street skater and I'm sure it's tough to balance getting clips for a part while making videos, but still kind of seems like a fuck you to his fans that he doesn't produce an amount of content that aligns with how much money he makes ($10k+/mo minimum).

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #2088 on: March 30, 2023, 08:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You can sub for 5 a month

Ah, okay. Gotcha. I don't think that was an option back when I was subscribed, but maybe I just didn't notice the less expensive subscription tier.

Laziness is a huge hurdle for him. The FA analysis video he dropped might've been the edit where he did the most background research, but even that video is dominated by subjective takes about Dill and the company. Dude's a street skater and I'm sure it's tough to balance getting clips for a part while making videos, but still kind of seems like a fuck you to his fans that he doesn't produce an amount of content that aligns with how much money he makes ($10k+/mo minimum).

Yep. For being so articulate, he's surprisingly lazy about doing quality research. That said, wildly unqualified subjective takes are kind of his thing, so why taint the proceedings with boring facts n stuff.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:59:33 AM by No Wave Comply »
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #2089 on: March 30, 2023, 09:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

His skatepark reviews are great and some of his most watched videos. I cannot imagine those are too hard to make.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #2090 on: March 30, 2023, 09:33:44 AM »
I unsubbed a month ago, because I the Lack of content he dropped. It is not like I dont want to support him anymore, it is more like: Come on,  you got this dont be so damm lazy.

He could easily kill it, but maybe he has some other projects? But I guess youtube and patreon are his main sources of income?

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
« Reply #2091 on: March 30, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2092 on: March 30, 2023, 01:00:20 PM »
I subbed recently and I don't think it's too bad, for sure a whole lot more worth it than some of the other patreon subs i've briefly checked out in the past. I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be into it though. He posts all of his vods there which I like to have on in the background while I'm playing Session or some shit like that

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2093 on: March 30, 2023, 01:32:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why be more productive when it’s all going well for him ? most people always want to grow bigger and go to the next step but some are happy with what they get. If 2000 people are supporting him right now why would he stress out about posting more.

If He did put put more stuff maybe the quality would not be there and the audience would burn out (and he might too)). As of now I am always hyped when he drops or when the bunts come back for instance.

Also Putting your self out there for 10 of 1000 of people to watch is a weird ass thing to do. You must be in a good place mentally to do that
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:45:19 PM by dallou »
check my music

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2094 on: March 30, 2023, 01:36:51 PM »
But I agree him and ted make a great duo, te video about berra was really good, one of my fav of him
check my music

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2095 on: March 30, 2023, 01:48:00 PM »
I unsubbed a month ago, because I the Lack of content he dropped. It is not like I dont want to support him anymore, it is more like: Come on,  you got this dont be so damm lazy.

He could easily kill it, but maybe he has some other projects? But I guess youtube and patreon are his main sources of income?

in march he posted over 20 hours of VOD and like 5 or 6 hours of patreon exclusive scripted vids. plus 5 videos up on his free youtube channels, some of those were up on his patreon earlier

edit: also you can sub for 5

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2096 on: March 30, 2023, 01:56:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Why be more productive when it’s all going well for him ? most people always want to grow bigger and go to the next step but some are happy with what they get. If 2000 people are supporting him right now why would he stress out about posting more.

If He did put put more stuff maybe the quality would not be there and the audience would burn out (and he might too)). As of now I am always hyped when he drops or when the bunts come back for instance.

Also Putting your self out there for 10 of 1000 of people to watch is a weird ass thing to do. Must be in a good place mentally

You'd think that having 2,000+ patrons would light a fire under your ass to keep growing, and in general the only way to do that is pump out more content. That's what makes him different from other YT skate creators. He goes out of his way to stifle his own growth on YT like making shitty thumbnails to discourage the algorithm from suggesting his videos, and deleting his VODs for non Patrons. He gets more views on average than anyone in YT skateboarding per upload, but his views do cap out at 100-150K, and none of his videos have surpassed 250k.

The Spencer Bartons and John Hills would be spewing out garbage content with this type of reliable Patreon income in the hopes of becoming the next Jake Paul-sized influencer, but GH's slow down in activity is like he doesn't want to be bigger than he is now. Hell even back when he did the Jenkem interview he said he was already bigger than he'd have anticipated, not plugging any of his own shit.

GH is simultaneously the smartest player financially in the YT skateboarding game (which is arguably the most important performance metric), but also seems to not want his likeness growing beyond what it is now.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2097 on: March 30, 2023, 02:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also Putting your self out there for 10 of 1000 of people to watch is a weird ass thing to do. Must be in a good place mentally
[close]

You'd think that having 2,000+ patrons would light a fire under your ass to keep growing, and in general the only way to do that is pump out more content. That's what makes him different from other YT skate creators. He goes out of his way to stifle his own growth on YT like making shitty thumbnails to discourage the algorithm from suggesting his videos, and deleting his VODs for non Patrons. He gets more views on average than anyone in YT skateboarding per upload, but his views do cap out at 100-150K, and none of his videos have surpassed 250k.

The Spencer Bartons and John Hills would be spewing out garbage content with this type of reliable Patreon income in the hopes of becoming the next Jake Paul-sized influencer, but GH's slow down in activity is like he doesn't want to be bigger than he is now. Hell even back when he did the Jenkem interview he said he was already bigger than he'd have anticipated, not plugging any of his own shit.

GH is simultaneously the smartest player financially in the YT skateboarding game (which is arguably the most important performance metric), but also seems to not want his likeness growing beyond what it is now.
Big brain skate IQ moves. He's aware of the less is more mystique phenomenon that runs through core skating
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2098 on: March 30, 2023, 02:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

in march he posted over 20 hours of VOD and like 5 or 6 hours of patreon exclusive scripted vids. plus 5 videos up on his free youtube channels, some of those were up on his patreon earlier

edit: also you can sub for 5
I'm a patreon subscriber and I think it's totally worth it. The VOD document is one of things that keeps me there. Also like how lately he's been covering different subject matter on the VOD. I'm sure he's getting a little burnt out and jaded on all things skateboarding which is understandable

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2099 on: March 30, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I signed up to his Patreon and tho its not killing my budget I haven't watch anything on it for the past 2-3 months, he posted somethin this morning with him watching the max palmer video.  this reminded me to delete my channel 5 subscription it look like andrews down for the count at the moment hasnt posted anything good for a long time now

Andrew has a few things going on:

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/20/1149748975/a-full-guide-to-the-sexual-misconduct-allegations-against-youtuber-andrew-callag