Author Topic: Current AWS/ Habitat shapes  (Read 7595 times)

hayduke lives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: Current AWS/ Habitat shapes
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2023, 06:26:29 PM »
the montano shaped deck is for sure dsm? i got one when it first came out and assumed it was bbs. i can't remember the warning sticker, but, if it said made in china i likely would have noticed. it's gripped and unskated, i'll feel tricked if i unwittingly got a dsm board since aws has been with bbs in 'merica for a bit  >:(  ;D . my fault for taking it for granite i suppose.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 06:56:20 PM by hayduke lives »

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2023, 06:55:35 PM »
the montano shaped deck is for sure dsm? i got one when it first came out and assumed it was bbs. but, i can't remember the warning sticker was on it but if it said made in china i would have noticed. it's gripped but unskated, i'll be bummed if i unwittingly got a dsm board. i'll feel tricked as aws has been with bbs in 'merica for a bit  >:(  ;D . my fault for taking it for granite i suppose.
I thought bbs was Mexico as well.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2023, 06:57:42 PM »

so does bbs use two different stickers?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 07:12:36 PM by Tom Pearl »

hayduke lives

• Rep: 40
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2023, 07:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
the montano shaped deck is for sure dsm? i got one when it first came out and assumed it was bbs. but, i can't remember the warning sticker was on it but if it said made in china i would have noticed. it's gripped but i'll be bummed if i unwittingly got a dsm board. i'll feel tricked as aws has been with bbs in 'merica for a bit  >:(  ;D . my fault for taking it for granite i suppose.
[close]

bbs is for sure mexico, by "in 'merica" i meant bbs for pro boards sold in US. it seems aws may use other woodshops outside north america. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2023, 05:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the montano shaped deck is for sure dsm? i got one when it first came out and assumed it was bbs. but, i can't remember the warning sticker was on it but if it said made in china i would have noticed. it's gripped but i'll be bummed if i unwittingly got a dsm board. i'll feel tricked as aws has been with bbs in 'merica for a bit  >:(  ;D . my fault for taking it for granite i suppose.
[close]
[close]

bbs is for sure mexico, by "in 'merica" i meant bbs for pro boards sold in US. it seems aws may use other woodshops outside north america.

Yes BBS only has the one woodshop in Mexico, but some brands list the boards as "Made in USA" anyway, even though they are not.

Re AWS / Habitat boards from China, yes people have said some specific boards are made in China, or more so boards to EU or Asia might be from a distributor that gets wood from China, not through AWS in USA via Mexico.  It does get a bit confusing, but some people have had a bit more info they have added to the Woodshop thread in the last page or two.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

so does bbs use two different stickers?

Yes there are at least the two stickers, mainly either the black / white or the red / white with about the same font, but I have seen another one with a different font on some brand boards - just can't remember which brand now but I thought that was interesting.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2023, 01:03:18 AM »
Are 8“ GX decks similar to 8“ AWS or are they a lot different?

231st Street

• Rep: -199
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2023, 03:26:18 AM »
Are 8“ GX decks similar to 8“ AWS or are they a lot different?

I've only had one GX 8 inch so def. not an expert, but at least for me on a PS GX1000 was a bit more flex like there typically is, and then also more taper-- so the typical kind of bbs versus PS stix difference.

The main similarity is the full nose, but the GX1000 was more shovely on the nose (at least the one I had) versus the Alien spoon type shape.  That said the full nose did make it feel somewhat similar. Not sure what the wheelbase was but im guessing about the same as the Alien as well.

For me, the taper and flexiness didnt really work, but I know some people like taper.  Full disclosure I got mine on parade on sale for 40 bucks so who knows how old it was.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2023, 06:44:55 AM »
I think the BBS ones would be way closer to the Alien shapes.  Someone in the GX1000 thread compared PS and BBS with pics, and the BBS was way more square.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2023, 02:16:07 AM »
Now the new alien trasher 8.0 again has different measurements. Why are they doing this??!!

Won’t buy it anyway. 90 euros for a deck is just not it.

231st Street

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2023, 01:27:57 PM »
Anyone get from the latest Habitat/Alien season?  Any know when new Metal decks coming out?

elva

• Rep: 4
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2023, 12:33:06 AM »
Does anybody know how often Habitat/AWS change their shapes? I just started skating the 8.4 Mercy shape and it feels perfect. However, there was only one deck in this shape in the current Habitat drop (the Marius Syvanen one I have right now) and two for AWS. I would love to stick to this shape but wasn't sure if they'd keep making it? I saw another Syvanen deck from one of the last drops that had another shape (I think it was a 8.25).

For what it's worth, the deck I got in Europe had the Made in Mexico sticker on it!

231st Street

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2023, 07:47:57 AM »
I believe they keep good sellers around as team decks and periodic name decks so buy the ones you like.  But it isn't constantly changing.  For example I almost always have an 8.75 believe set up and once in a while they run out but they always put more out.  If you can find the shape you like in generic habitat or alien team decks that's another way to find it (Usually towards the end on their websites from the prior drops).  That said I think the 8.4 hasn't made it to the team deck rotation yet so maybe a crap shoot at this point based on trends, but feels like Habitat and Alien sizing up in general (in particular habitat versus last few drops) so seems logical they'd have a team deck at that size.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2023, 09:08:39 AM »
They keep their most popular shapes (8.0 / 8.125 / 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 / 8.75) pretty consistent, except for the 8.25 and 8.4 which appear specific to the rider (8.25 AG - Austyn Gillette, 8.4 Mercy - Marius).

They list the shape and dimensions on their website which is really helpful. The 8.4 looks like a 1 off shape, Alien Workshop has a couple of 8.4 shapes that use the same 8.4 Mercy mold, so I'd hunt those down if you really liked that shape.

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/marius-syvanen-which-way-8-4
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/og-lqd-black-8-4
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/frankie-spears-flushing-future-tan-8-4

I'm really curious to know if they measured the 32.75 flat on the board or tip to tip, 32.75 is really long for anything under 8.5.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

elva

• Rep: 4
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2023, 09:53:37 AM »
Thank you for the insight! Will probably stock up on some of the 8.4 decks then. Personally not a massive fan of the artworks, but the shape feels really good right now.

I'm really curious to know if they measured the 32.75 flat on the board or tip to tip, 32.75 is really long for anything under 8.5.

I just measured mine and it is 32.75 flat on the board and something like 32.4 tip to tip. I really like the longer kicks compared to other full shape decks (thanks again for the input on this in my previous thread!).

231st Street

« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2023, 01:37:36 PM »
Has anyone gotten an 8.75 or 9 habitat or alien egg?  How does it skate compared to the regular 8.75?  Skateable in bowls or really curb egg?  The metal "eggs" look a little more transition oriented but maybe my imagination as I haven't been able to seen any of these in "real life" yet.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2023, 07:04:11 PM »
Thank you for the insight! Will probably stock up on some of the 8.4 decks then. Personally not a massive fan of the artworks, but the shape feels really good right now.

Expand Quote
[close]

I just measured mine and it is 32.75 flat on the board and something like 32.4 tip to tip. I really like the longer kicks compared to other full shape decks (thanks again for the input on this in my previous thread!).

Ugh I hate when they aren't consistent with length measurements, understandable for Austyn Gillette's shape since they use PS Stix but it would help if they listed them accurately or at least said whether it was taken tip to tip or flat across.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m