Author Topic: What happened with Levis skateboarding?  (Read 5089 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
Re: What happened with Levis skateboarding?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 08:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
do you only skate jeans if marketed as "skater jeans with a team"? because I couldn't give a fuck less if my pants have a skateboard team. Levis still makes great jeans so who cares? buy them. I would even go as far as saying buy every Levis jeans except the ones marketed as skateboarding jeans.
companies like carhartt or Levis make usually good quality clothes with strong fabrics without even having skating in mind. everyone should try to not wear a single skateboard brand ones from top to the shoes. you'll be amazed how amazing regular clothing works for skating. sometimes much better quality wise than some vulc enties and some rvca pants
[close]

How is this relevant. They had like a team. Their skate product provided something that you could barely find anywhere else. Seems like you're just trying to get a holier-than-thou gotcha in and missing the point entirely
[close]

how am I missing the point? they are gone (you could stop the thread here). and to think they provided some never before seen jeans is false and stupid. you find good fitting pants everywhere. the pants Vincent touzery wears and everyone seemed to discuss aren't skate pants they are regular Levis. just trying to inform guys to get out of your "a real skater needs skate product" cycle. bet you sleep in a big skateboard bed and get incredibly mad when some of your guys dont eat shit an sleep skateboarding. "A SKATER CANT RAP!" "A SKATER CANT BE INTRESTED IN GAY STUFF" you can do what you want and you can wear what you want. if you get anxiety over your jeans not being skate jeans you are a complete gatekeeping idiot with zero talent except playing with your hobby toy.
Difference between Levi’s skateline and their regular jeans was that their skate jeans had some stretch on them… Just a bit more functional for skating, marketing has nothing to do with it.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 08:42:23 AM »
You would have to learn Japanese going-forward to process any Levis Lvc
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

somesortofspin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
spandex in jeans just makes them have less longevity.
was never a fan of those spandex jeans that will rip around the penis area where both pant legs are connected.
and that happened to me all the time when ordering some pants from skate companies.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 09:08:15 AM »
I worked for them for a while.

The product is unmatched in quality. I've worked in skateing and apparel most of my adult life. I feel really confident in my assessment.

Biggest problem they had in my opinion is that skaters were having a hard time wanting to pay $85 for jeans at the time. Levis wanted to see way more units on the market than we were able to sell.

Kinda funny seeing as now everything with a skate team is $90 and up.
I need a coffee

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 09:15:55 AM »
Alright jean people.  What person in SF made the first riveted jean and introduced that technology to Levi Strauss?

"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 09:21:46 AM »

Biggest problem they had in my opinion is that skaters were having a hard time wanting to pay $85 for jeans at the time. Levis wanted to see way more units on the market than we were able to sell.

That makes sense. It's probably the price and the brand not justifying the price. Levis is a credible company but it's not like "cool" to wear like some other brands. At least Levis did a lot with the skate community helping build skateparks and helping skaters travel. But it made sense it was short lived.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 09:22:39 AM »
Idk but I keep blowing the crotch out of all my 514's. Not even skating in them. Currently rocking the target levis Denizen brand. They are nice but don't hold their shape as well. 

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »
Just buy 550s on eBay and call it a day

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 09:44:28 AM »
Just buy 550s on eBay and call it a day

The superior levis. For us big booty bitches

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 09:52:07 AM »
Seems to only be brought up when dealing with certain brands or regions-but for a company of their size, Levi's has an abysmal labor record.

They've made some progress with environmental issues but seem much less interested in doing the right thing by their workers.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »
This is a real bummer to hear; I really liked the skate line.  Was seeing way too much of it on clearance and was worried this was coming.  Hope the same doesn’t happen to Dickies as they’re making more skate-specific stuff
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »
I've found a few pairs on eBay, but their skate line had a denim pleated pant that remind me of a less baggy Cee Blues pair and they're so good. I'd buy every color if they kept making them.

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2022, 10:08:30 AM »
Alright jean people.  What person in SF made the first riveted jean and introduced that technology to Levi Strauss?

Seems obvious it was Levi Strauss, but some accounts say Jacob Davis b4
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2022, 10:09:27 AM »
levis athletic fit 541 seemed to hold up pretty well in skating long periods

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2022, 10:13:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seems obvious it was Levi Strauss, but some accounts say Jacob Davis b4

Verified it was Jacob Davis.  Have a gnar, my dude.  Well done.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2022, 10:52:06 AM »
Damn so much denim knowledge in here

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:28 AM »

I heard from a very legit source, that in the beginning of their skate program, or maybe even before they started, Dylan approached Levi's to either ride for them, or to work with them on their skate program. And they turned him down...

I'm going to go ahead and say 'that's what happened' to Levi's Skateboarding.. kinda fucked from the get go with those kind of decision making skills, regardless of having some of the deepest pockets out there.
If this is true, then whoever made that decision must still be kicking themselves.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2022, 11:22:03 AM »
not really sure but Dickies 874s are still around so I'm good

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2022, 11:38:19 AM »
Dickies are actually fully backed from what I've heard/seen
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

chuckles

• Rep: 16
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »
Wish the skate program continued if only to see Joey Pepper keep getting paid.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2022, 11:54:58 AM »

This came out last month, seems like they are more Euro focused and they release fairly often from what I can tell in UK shops. Great video too.

Yeah - concrete river project was great output!

In Euro the have a team, you can buy at the website a „skateboarding collection“ I am not really into, and they have active insta account - with skateboarding and fashion shots with mostly „underground/ not very known“ skateboarders.

Think the keep it low key and just show that skateboarding is cool - and cool skateboarders wear Jeans from Levi’s.
There target group is the average teenager - and they want some cool skateboarding/ street style fashion pictures. You don’t need Tony Hawk for that, or some NY hypebeaest fashionista. There bread and butter is the standard 501 blue jeans anyway.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2208
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »
Chiming in on a few topics here:

a) @zahed what’s good with them pants? That’s my size. Maybe we can get our own lickle rawb/mothman thing going on?

b) I happen to be wearing a pair of the  skate 513 slim/straights right now & just pulled a brand spanking new pair of the same out of “cold storage” a couple days ago. They really are rather nice. So… there’s that.
3)
I like the 541s: roomy up top with a nice taper so they don’t spill over the heels of my sneaks & get walked on (I hate that.) I was just reading bout the 502 which is apparently standard fit in the rump/thighs (a’la 501/505) but with a lower waist, AND a taper in the leg so… again, no heel slop. I haven’t tried any on & was wondering if any PALS have any experience w/ said fit & care to share their wear notes?
…and d)
Those will mercifully ALWAYS be around. Hopefully hosiery has as promising a future, for the sake of your sig. the Dickies skate line will only stick around so long as it is still profitable. Make no mistake, as soon as it’s not pulling its weight as a product line, it’s done-zo. Jus’ business.
Maybe grab a few extra pairs at the next sale, if those are your jam, and warehouse those fuckers.
Incidentally, I take the 894 on account of the taper, for (you guessed it) no slop.
Finally, thank you @lk130 for that piece of trivia: I was born in SF & live here now, but was somehow still unaware of that locally relevant historic note. Gracias, papi.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »
Since I wear their regular pants most of the time I don’t think it would make much difference in what I buy.

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »

Surprisingly not a Levis ad
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »
I wore the same 2 pair of 511, one brown cords, one bkue jeans with yellow/blue fabric for pockets,  the ones that came out in like 09/10, every day until the finally blew out in 2015. Levis, at least the non-bargain basement store ones, last a long damn time. Skated em, farm work, chilled etc
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2022, 01:38:07 PM »
Wish the skate program continued if only to see Joey Pepper keep getting paid.

People getting paid for doing nothing is why these programs end
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2022, 01:39:32 PM »

a) @zahed what’s good with them pants? That’s my size. Maybe we can get our own lickle rawb/mothman thing going on?

b) I happen to be wearing a pair of the  skate 513 slim/straights right now & just pulled a brand spanking new pair of the same out of “cold storage” a couple days ago. They really are rather nice. So… there’s that.
3)
Expand Quote
[close]
I like the 541s: roomy up top with a nice taper so they don’t spill over the heels of my sneaks & get walked on (I hate that.) I was just reading bout the 502 which is apparently standard fit in the rump/thighs (a’la 501/505) but with a lower waist, AND a taper in the leg so… again, no heel slop. I haven’t tried any on & was wondering if any PALS have any experience w/ said fit & care to share their wear notes?
…and d)
Expand Quote
[close]

Finally, thank you @lk130 for that piece of trivia: I was born in SF & live here now, but was somehow still unaware of that locally relevant historic note. Gracias, papi.

HEY, I'm the one that knew it, I was asking if any other jean heads knew!!!  YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!

I hope you can smell my sarcasm, hahaha...

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2022, 01:59:15 PM »
I hope Plunkett made bank.

I always thought it was kind of odd that he was on Levi's and Huf at the same time. 
Enjoy your life.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2022, 02:15:07 PM »

3)
Expand Quote
[close]
…and d)
Expand Quote
[close]
Those will mercifully ALWAYS be around. Hopefully hosiery has as promising a future, for the sake of your sig. the Dickies skate line will only stick around so long as it is still profitable. Make no mistake, as soon as it’s not pulling its weight as a product line, it’s done-zo. Jus’ business.
Maybe grab a few extra pairs at the next sale, if those are your jam, and warehouse those fuckers.
Incidentally, I take the 894 on account of the taper, for (you guessed it) no slop.

May have to p33p these. I used to buy some tapered ones back in ...1993? 1994? They were the sheet. No idea what number they were or if it was some special tapered 874s? Do you still size up in the waist? (I size up 2 sizes in waist for 874s)

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »
Expand Quote
great question. their pants are second to none. they have cordura in them. i amassed about 50 pairs of the work pants if you are a 34x32 and want a pair hit me up. former shop worker here
[close]

Hello new best friend

Also

Wrangler cowboy cuts with a little bit of stretch are where it's at. Those jeans rock
The Wranchers are actually dope to skate in (Ethan Fowler circa 2001) but goddamn they get sweaty.

Levi's used to do some really swanky media stuff back before some of the major mags bit the dust, sending journalists all over the place, no expense spared. Their heads were in the right place.