Author Topic: aaaye, Canucks, what's up with this supposed freedom convoy?  (Read 4122 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
aaaye, Canucks, what's up with this supposed freedom convoy?
« on: January 27, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »
Hey to all the homies north of the border- I just popped on reddit and saw something about a "freedom coney" of vehicles descending on Ottawa. Is this actually happening or is it a media hyped thing? If happening, is it a big deal?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Beeda Weeda

Re: aaaye, Canucks, what's up with this supposed freedom convoy?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 04:25:34 AM »
Its happening, its big, but the media is hyping it up to be way bigger than it is, right wing politicians making up lies about empty grocery store shelves, stirring up fear. It began as a protest against the vax mandate for cross boarder truckers(its the same policy that the us has) now a bunch of fringe right wing  movements have latched on. The more time that passes, it looks less like a  grass roots movement, and more like a bunch of idiots being duped by dark right wing money.  Its a very vocal minority. If you are watching it all day on Facebook or Instagram, it seems like a real movement, if you  continue to live your life, it's whatever. I'm not on social media so I feel free from this.
These people are comparing a vax mandate to eat inside with the holocaust.

Fhk

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 04:27:12 AM »
Hey to all the homies north of the border- I just popped on reddit and saw something about a "freedom coney" of vehicles descending on Ottawa. Is this actually happening or is it a media hyped thing? If happening, is it a big deal?

Some people are reporting 250,000 trucks are in this convoy, and others have reported that there are only a few trucks. My guess is that there are a lot more than a few..and if that's the case people are going to learn to really respect truck drivers real fast.

Edit: Posted the same exact time as Beeda..now we know what's really going on.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 04:31:57 AM »
I have heard 300 trucks from a credible source, but it could appear larger as they pass through the GTA.

Fhk

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 04:34:10 AM »
I have heard 300 trucks from a credible source, but it could appear larger as they pass through the GTA.
I was just reading the same thing, and that regular vehicles are mixed in.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 04:40:12 AM »
my friend said its mostly lifted trucks and busted up dodge caravans.

Fhk

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 04:56:33 AM »
Hahaha! Well there ya go

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 05:49:16 AM »
Its happening, its big, but the media is hyping it up to be way bigger than it is, right wing politicians making up lies about empty grocery store shelves, stirring up fear. It began as a protest against the vax mandate for cross boarder truckers(its the same policy that the us has) now a bunch of fringe right wing  movements have latched on. The more time that passes, it looks less like a  grass roots movement, and more like a bunch of idiots being duped by dark right wing money.  Its a very vocal minority. If you are watching it all day on Facebook or Instagram, it seems like a real movement, if you  continue to live your life, it's whatever. I'm not on social media so I feel free from this.
These people are comparing a vax mandate to eat inside with the holocaust.

Initially read that as "Dark Wing Duck" and laughed

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 06:31:15 AM »
It’s going to be much smaller than it’s supposed to be, and should they get to Ottawa, they’ll show up to an empty building.

Parliament is in recess right now.

It started as a grassroots movement, now right-wing grifters have latched on.

Most of us are fucking sick and tired of hearing about it. I have never had to block so many people on IG than in the last two days. Not that I agree/disagree with them, they’re just fucking annoying and stupid. Jewish stars, Trump/Q Anon flags, you name it, it’s there.

Even if Trudeau allowed them to get into Canada un-vax’d (because that’s what it started as)… you need to be vax’d to enter the US. Seems they don’t know Canada can’t change US laws.

Shipping hasn’t stopped a single second where I work, and we get over 100 trucks a day.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 06:43:45 AM »
Same, the only thing effecting my supply chain is a covid out break at one of our suppliers in the us.
A few right wing politicians have been sharing stock images of empty shelves as scare tactics, that is  all they know, FEAR
Also, the original organizer pulled their $1 million donation from the go fund me.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 08:24:32 AM »
here is a complete shock to anyone  ::)
https://www.instagram.com/taylormcnallie/p/CZIiV9Lps6S/?utm_medium=copy_link

My G ! I was just looking for that, thanks for posting it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:05 AM »
Expand Quote

My G ! I was just looking for that, thanks for posting it.
seconded.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 08:56:48 AM »
Same, the only thing effecting my supply chain is a covid out break at one of our suppliers in the us.

Glue I’m guessing ? We’ve been having a bitch of a time getting decent glue for our lamination where I work.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 01:43:19 PM »
I have some friends in Windsor, Canada where the convoy started. They said the truckers were blasting their horns all day/night for several days straight and the noise could be heard quite a distance away.

These guys are wack and so is anyone that supports them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:36:15 PM by Sidewalk Funk. »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
idk but those 2 words back to back got me hard

cky enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »
hope a bunch of dudes driving trucks fixes inflation

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 02:22:39 PM »
is anyone else impressed that the right rarely bothers to get out of their cars/trucks?

They seem to do more "marches" in their heated/air conditioned automobiles than outside of them.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 02:26:27 PM »
What a waste of fuel.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »
Was working in the Cambridge area yesterday and the overpasses on the 401 were chock full of these peeps. Upside down Canadian flags, Fuck Trudeau banners and signs stating that "Canada isn't free anymore". Convoy and supporters were loud (honking horns/revving engines) but as earlier posters stated it supposedly started with concerns over the border controls, but the US has ramped their controls as well...so it's morphed into "all Mandates must stop!". However with the US also changing the rules and with things (at least here in Ontario) starting to open back up as of Feb 1st it's really just a way of people who look like they'd shop at 2 Felons to rage against the Feds.

Not a good look for Singh's brother in law to have donated when there are multiple accounts of convoy peeps slinging not too veiled threats to MP's.

Sorry this was disjointed- been a long ass week of working in -20plus Temps.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
hope a bunch of dudes driving trucks fixes inflation

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2022, 06:04:45 AM »
One of my friends from Ottawa got high on mushrooms and went to see what it was like. He Face Timed me late last night to tell me it was much smaller than expected, about 100-120 trucks and mostly lifted pick-up trucks and a few confused Corolla's. Apparently a lot of people were unprepared for the cold Ottawa weather (-25 last night, -35 with the wind chill today). Ton of drunk people everywhere, some were singing the American national anthem, QAnon and Trump flags, some from the west were beefing with Quebecois etc.... They're quite noisy, but he lives about a 15 min walk away from where they are and he can't hear them since there's not too many of them.

He says traffic-wise, it's no different than regular-ass Friday rush hour traffic and even then it's not too bad. If you've been to Ottawa you know the traffic can be ridiculous for such a small city. They're supposed to be getting more trucks in today but let's be honest, it'll be a pathetic turnout.

It's so pathetic it's beautiful, almost brings a tear to my eye.

Fhk

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2022, 06:59:25 AM »
What is the main goal of this anyways?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2022, 07:15:34 AM »
What is the main goal of this anyways?

Something along the lines of "re-taking Canada from the hands of Communists"

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2022, 07:32:07 AM »
is anyone else impressed that the right rarely bothers to get out of their cars/trucks?

They seem to do more "marches" in their heated/air conditioned automobiles than outside of them.

Not exactly, but I have noticed the connection they seem to make between freedom and ownership, namely guns and trucks.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2022, 10:28:42 AM »
There claiming they have 50k semis coming to parliament
But it’s actually closer to 2000 vehicles in total not just trucks. 2 white nationalists with a history of defacing blm murals started the movement. Lots of cringe coming from these protests like conservative rappers lip sinking songs about freedom. Makes me sick that conservatives raised millions in cash donations and thousands of donated groceries just to give to people who are already wealthier than 50% of the population. Imagine if we put that food and money towards feeding and housing ontarios homeless population.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2022, 03:49:04 PM »

Looks like theyre getting their message across

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2022, 03:49:44 PM »
I try to keep a level head and have posted in this thread already...but these clowns parking on the grounds of the National Centoaph (which includes the Tomb of the Unknown soldier) and screwing around with a statue of Terry Fox can fuck right off. Don't park in a war cemetery and claim patriotism and don't try to claim an anti cancer hero who was immunocompromised for your anti vaxx shit.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2022, 06:39:43 PM »
I try to keep a level head and have posted in this thread already...but these clowns parking on the grounds of the National Centoaph (which includes the Tomb of the Unknown soldier) and screwing around with a statue of Terry Fox can fuck right off. Don't park in a war cemetery and claim patriotism and don't try to claim an anti cancer hero who was immunocompromised for your anti vaxx shit.

Its almost like the people who are going to be on the wrong side of history have no knowledge of the subject...

Something something doomed to repeat blah blah blah....leave me alone Im trying to watch this hot girl twerk with an m4 on tik tok.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2022, 06:03:58 AM »
I found that there is a lot of noise in the Canadian media that is seriously lacking analysis about how this movement started, who started it and the organizers behind it. I can recommend this podcast and statement from the Canadian Anti-Hate Network to give a good understanding of what's going on.

https://www.antihate.ca/the_freedom_convoy_is_nothing_but_a_vehicle_for_the_far_right

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/749-truck-nutz/

edit: Gotta shoutout Canadaland and their subsidiary podcast themes/episodes, they do a great job of news analysis and story telling for the bullshit that goes on in the country.