Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 164519 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Anyone skate a SK8Mafia deck latley, to know what wood shop they use?
Some of the specs I see just list the size like "8x32" or "8.25x32", but I looked and ended up seeing specs that look more inline with some HLC or Sour decks.

The ones that turned up here in Australia not too long ago were the usual HLC shape, concave and feel.

I haven't experienced the range of HLC boards, so would not know what concave option they were, but they felt very normal for those sort of boards and something I am used to from them, if that makes sense?

It was said they are doing all the boards for Sk8 Mafia so I don't think it would be different in any other country.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Thought this info is good here too:

I'm not sure what thread this info goes best in, but for you Egg and general shape riders, Tactics now includes the width over the front and back truck on shape deck listings

Example:

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/barbee-bird-nest-95-rays-street-shape-skateboard-deck/navy

SPECS
SIZE   9.5
FRONT WIDTH (IN):   9.0
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   9.5
BACK WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.5

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Not sure if anyone else mentioned yet, but for those wondering about Jacuzzi Unlimited, I confirmed with Louie that they’re still gonna use Dwindle wood

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
Not sure if anyone else mentioned yet, but for those wondering about Jacuzzi Unlimited, I confirmed with Louie that they’re still gonna use Dwindle wood
That makes me really happy. The R7 boards are awesome. Kicks are a little steeper than I prefer for the pop is fanatic and they last forever before getting soggy.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850

Tell him to do something with the mellow kick mold I haven't seen it in years

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Expand Quote
[close]

Tell him to do something with the mellow kick mold I haven't seen it in years

for real. that steep kick they do is not the raddest, for me.
even tho i’m a billion years old with noodle legs and no pop, i’d just rather have a mellower deck.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
Toy Machine on BBS now? I know they were doing pro boards at PS, but it looks like they've gone the Quasi route and are doing a mix of PS and BBS, unless I'm misidentifying the sticker on the not PS boards.

Edit: Just reread the first page of the thread and maybe these are Clutch stickers? Didn't realize TM is using Clutch in 2023 and used BBS back in 2021. Thought it was just PS and then eventually the China shop for team boards.

Templeton Pro Board on BBS?:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Wires_Crossed_Deck/descpage-TMETWCDK.html

Another Templeton on BBS?:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Portrait_Deck/descpage-TMTPTDK.html

Templeton on PS:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Mask_Deck/descpage-TMTMASK85DK.html

This Lutheran pro board is on PS:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Lutheran_Bloodhand_Deck/descpage-TMDLBHDK.html

Axel pro board on PS:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Axel_Mannequin_Deck/descpage-TMACMPDK.html

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Toy Machine on BBS now? I know they were doing pro boards at PS, but it looks like they've gone the Quasi route and are doing a mix of PS and BBS, unless I'm misidentifying the sticker on the not PS boards.

Edit: Just reread the first page of the thread and maybe these are Clutch stickers? Didn't realize TM is using Clutch in 2023 and used BBS back in 2021. Thought it was just PS and then eventually the China shop for team boards.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Wires_Crossed_Deck/descpage-TMETWCDK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Portrait_Deck/descpage-TMTPTDK.html

Templeton on PS:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Mask_Deck/descpage-TMTMASK85DK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Lutheran_Bloodhand_Deck/descpage-TMDLBHDK.html

Axel pro board on PS:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Axel_Mannequin_Deck/descpage-TMACMPDK.html

They are definitely BBS boards.

Toy Machine has used anything and everything they can get their hands on it would seem, so it is hard to keep up.

Currently:

AU - China wood
Asia - ???
EU - mix of wood, BBS, PS Stix and others?
USA - mix of wood, BBS, PS Stix and others?

They are great pics too!

Thank you!!!

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote

Templeton on PS:

Axel pro board on PS:
[close]

They are definitely BBS boards.

Toy Machine has used anything and everything they can get their hands on it would seem, so it is hard to keep up.

Currently:

AU - China wood
Asia - ???

They are great pics too!

Thank you!!!

Any time! This thread has been so valuable to me, I’m happy to help whenever I can.

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
This could've also gone in the mellow boards thread, but I thought here the info might not get buried as quickly. I've bought a bunch of boards looking for a mellow board to my liking, but they keep avoiding me. I thought I could take some pictures to share so the money won't be completely wasted. The closest I got is a shop board from Greece that was pressed on the mellow PS Stix PS101 mold, but with a blunt shape that's not exactly my favorite.

Most of the PS Stix boards currently out there (Quasi, WKND, GX1000...) seem to be pressed on the H-mold, which was also used for a lot of the old Alien boards. PS Stix was recently advertising smaller minimun quantities on their standard shapes and they were all on this mold, so I except a lot more of these popping up as shop boards and through smaller brands. Below you can see how the PS101 (bottom) and the H-mold (top) compare.

PS101 has the same angle for both nose and tail. H-mold has roughly the same mellow angle for the tail, but the nose is noticeably steeper. The H-mold seems shorter, which brings the kicks closer together. It also has deeper concave and more pronounced transition to the kicks, where the PS101 feels more organic to me.

Here's the PS101 compared to an Antihero on the DLX/BBS 8.25"/WB 14.375" shape with a III stamp (top).

The tail angle is just about the same for both and the nose is a touch steeper on the DLX. The mold on the DLX is again a bit shorter with more pronounced concave and kicks. This shows how even the mellower DLXs aren't that mellow after all.

Here's how the PS Stix H-mold looks on top of the DLX.

By stacking them this way, the tail on the H-mold appears a tiny bit mellower, but the nose is still steeper. This is my main problem with the H-mold, as the tail can feel great, but any trick off the nose ghastly. The depth of concave is nearly identical in the center, but the DLX has more dipped kicks.

This is by no means an all-inclusive comparison, as it's just individual boards with no information on the stack positions for the PS Stix ones.
For me the PS101 would be my go-to, but a mellower BBS will do if nothing else is available. The H-mold won't be set up as I want to be able to do tricks off the nose as well.

Tale Crab

Currently:

AU - China wood
Asia - ???
Toy Machines in Europe seem to be mostly Chinese.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
This could've also gone in the mellow boards thread, but I thought here the info might not get buried as quickly. I've bought a bunch of boards looking for a mellow board to my liking, but they keep avoiding me. I thought I could take some pictures to share so the money won't be completely wasted. The closest I got is a shop board from Greece that was pressed on the mellow PS Stix PS101 mold, but with a blunt shape that's not exactly my favorite.

Most of the PS Stix boards currently out there (Quasi, WKND, GX1000...) seem to be pressed on the H-mold, which was also used for a lot of the old Alien boards. PS Stix was recently advertising smaller minimun quantities on their standard shapes and they were all on this mold, so I except a lot more of these popping up as shop boards and through smaller brands. Below you can see how the PS101 (bottom) and the H-mold (top) compare.

PS101 has the same angle for both nose and tail. H-mold has roughly the same mellow angle for the tail, but the nose is noticeably steeper. The H-mold seems shorter, which brings the kicks closer together. It also has deeper concave and more pronounced transition to the kicks, where the PS101 feels more organic to me.

Here's the PS101 compared to an Antihero on the DLX/BBS 8.25"/WB 14.375" shape with a III stamp (top).

The tail angle is just about the same for both and the nose is a touch steeper on the DLX. The mold on the DLX is again a bit shorter with more pronounced concave and kicks. This shows how even the mellower DLXs aren't that mellow after all.

By stacking them this way, the tail on the H-mold appears a tiny bit mellower, but the nose is still steeper. This is my main problem with the H-mold, as the tail can feel great, but any trick off the nose ghastly. The depth of concave is nearly identical in the center, but the DLX has more dipped kicks.

This is by no means an all-inclusive comparison, as it's just individual boards with no information on the stack positions for the PS Stix ones.
For me the PS101 would be my go-to, but a mellower BBS will do if nothing else is available. The H-mold won't be set up as I want to be able to do tricks off the nose as well.

What is the functional purpose of the BBS dipped kicks?

WelcomeToHell

Worble back on Clutch? The white one is the new Poppy Starr pro model so definitely not a 2021 board.

https://www.zumiez.com/worble-fun-house-8-0-skateboard-deck.html

https://www.zumiez.com/worble-poppy-starr-8-5-skateboard-deck.html

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

Currently:

AU - China wood
Asia - ???
[close]
Toy Machines in Europe seem to be mostly Chinese.

Thanks.

I will update the list when I have a bit more time to go through the last page or so.

Always appreciated!!!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

What is the functional purpose of the BBS dipped kicks?

I always like seeing board comparisons between woodshops and concaves as there can be some significant differences, as shown there.

To note too, even between different shapes, there seems to be significant differences in concave for the DLX boards, eg the 8.25 boards from I through to IV always seem way steeper than the 8.38s from I through to IV, some of those being exceptionally mellow (or just not steep, for those who say BBS could never be mellow concave) even in a few I stamped 8.38 boards I have, which are the least steep of all DLX boards I have seen.

As to the question of "dipped kicks" I think the word dipped could be replaced better with "spoon shaped" kicks, given the concave of BBS has a flat board from bolts through the middle straight line, compared to some which have a rocker (sit up more in the bolts from the middle) or dipped which used to mean sitting down more in the bolts than the middle, but terminology is down to interpretation more than anything else.

If the shape of the side to side concave down to the part where the kick starts to come up is the reference point, then that also varies between boards, some having way more side to side concave, others less, then almost all boards come down to flat across just before the kick starts, but it might be a little more pronounced on BBS boards because of the spoon shaped concave in the kicks.

As to why spoon concave, mainly because it holds your foot on the board more easily than a flat across kick, as described by a few different pro and other people over the years.

Of course when a board is getting older and has more flex, then I could definitely see more of a "dip" from middle to the kick as more pressure is put on the end of the kick.

Guessing this is already a bit too much, but anyone else with a perspective, opinion or comments, I would like to hear / see what others have to say too.

Yewwman

• Rep: 4
I've been enjoying the dwindle ''mellow concave steep kicks'' decks lately, but shops dont really carry those brands anymore, suggestions? only decks i get decent pop with aces lol
 i hope this is the right thread for my question

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
I've been enjoying the dwindle ''mellow concave steep kicks'' decks lately, but shops dont really carry those brands anymore, suggestions? only decks i get decent pop with aces lol
 i hope this is the right thread for my question

Was it specifically with Almost or Enjoi pro decks, or others?   And what size were you riding?

I had noticed the mellow concave option only with those two, more so than any team boards or other brands under Dwindle, but that doesn't mean that there weren't more out there.

Also the fact that almost all the Dwindle boards were going for so cheap (and still are in a lot of places) means you should be able to find some good deals and stock up a bit on the clearance sales, depending on funds and where you are.

Start with that anyway.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

(trimmed image in repost)

(trimmed images in repost)

(trimmed images in repost)

some dudes I know just started a new brand in Toronto called Solo Tango (@solotangopress on instagram) and they are using PS Stix. I got the 8.38" Full board - is this likely an H Mold board?  I like how PS does shorter WB on their 8.38" and 8.5" boards compared to BBS standard sizes.

Tale Crab

some dudes I know just started a new brand in Toronto called Solo Tango (@solotangopress on instagram) and they are using PS Stix. I got the 8.38" Full board - is this likely an H Mold board?  I like how PS does shorter WB on their 8.38" and 8.5" boards compared to BBS standard sizes.

This was posted in an older thread. All the stardard and full shapes are listed as being on the steeper H-mold, while the shaped boards are on PS101. It makes sense from a production point of view to just churn out boards using one type of mold, but I'm afraid it also means that there's going to be even less of the mellow ones coming out.

the pdf they sent me

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

This was posted in an older thread. All the stardard and full shapes are listed as being on the steeper H-mold, while the shaped boards are on PS101. It makes sense from a production point of view to just churn out boards using one type of mold, but I'm afraid it also means that there's going to be even less of the mellow ones coming out.

Good to have it here again though.

I wonder if people can ask them specifically for different molds if they have enough boards or if that is only for the top production brands that get to choose whatever they want or make their own shapes / sizes and choose the molds as well.

Thanks for (re)posting!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

I thought this would be good here too, given all the talk of flat boards.

You guys can make up your own mind about terminology though.

:)

Got the hopps 7.8 and the glue 7.75 from my local. Both are flat but the glue is flat as hell.  The ishod is a true fit 8.06. I fuck with the tue fits heavily. The thunders go with the lil guys

yo…how flat are talking?

i am on a glue 8.125 and i really like the shape. it’s flat, could be flatter.
the other board i ride is an 8.06 true fit, not flat. not really a fan, cuz it’s steeper, and just…i know bbs makes ‘better’ (longer lasting) boards, but it just doesn’t feel nice, and the pop is decent at best. 360 flips are a saving grace of the truefit

It's pretty damn flat. Like that was the first thing I noticed and the reason I bought it. It is a 7.75 so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Here's the true fit on top and the glue on bottom

Ok

• SLAP Pal

I thought this would be good here too, given all the talk of flat boards.

You guys can make up your own mind about terminology though.

:)

Expand Quote

Got the hopps 7.8 and the glue 7.75 from my local. Both are flat but the glue is flat as hell.  The ishod is a true fit 8.06. I fuck with the tue fits heavily. The thunders go with the lil guys
[close]

Expand Quote

yo…how flat are talking?

i am on a glue 8.125 and i really like the shape. it’s flat, could be flatter.
the other board i ride is an 8.06 true fit, not flat. not really a fan, cuz it’s steeper, and just…i know bbs makes ‘better’ (longer lasting) boards, but it just doesn’t feel nice, and the pop is decent at best. 360 flips are a saving grace of the truefit
[close]

Expand Quote

It's pretty damn flat. Like that was the first thing I noticed and the reason I bought it. It is a 7.75 so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Here's the true fit on top and the glue on bottom
[close]

hot damn that is flat. i like

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Anybody know who presses the Element decks that aren't made by BBS?

AS far as I know (besides EU which has a separate deal and Element boards there are on HLC wood) there are only BBS and China made boards, or at least those that have the sticker "Made in China" on them. 

Unknown woodshop, different to other brands that have "Made in China" on them.

Seems like every other day there is a different feeling and looking board out of China, so I don't doubt there are numerous unknown woodshops there as well.

The people who have skated them say they often have weird shapes and dimensions, at least the ones we have around here in AU but they still skate ok, quite simple construction and concave, not at all like Dwindle, BBS or any other main woodshop when comparing them, if that helps.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
Is Pennswood still making decks?

WelcomeToHell

Is Pennswood still making decks?

As of last year a local D.C. brand (Vicio) was still using them. I haven't heard any change so I assume they're still making boards.

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
I grabbed a couple decks from the theories memorial day sale, it looks like they're back on chapman (which I think is clutch) - I'm not sure I've ever skated a clutch deck before but the shapes look pretty great, mellower than the BBS/PS stuff I've been on lately.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I grabbed a couple decks from the theories memorial day sale, it looks like they're back on chapman (which I think is clutch) - I'm not sure I've ever skated a clutch deck before but the shapes look pretty great, mellower than the BBS/PS stuff I've been on lately.

Nice pics!

Others have said anything Chapman is Clutch wood too.

What, if anything is between the front bolt holes?

Most main manufacturers have certain tells, but some are harder to work out than others, eg

PS Stix - serial number, larger warning sticker
Clutch - letter and number stamp for the shape and size, eg P 8
BBS - single dimple, wider than a nail hole / BBS and warning sticker

Many other (unknown from China especially) woodshops are putting a nail between front bolts, so a very fine point indent, more as a point of reference than anything else, but it is not hard for some woodshops to change up their marking which can confuse some people as well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
last two decks, one a 8.06 krooked truefit, maybe - 2 or a 3, too steep, i knew that going in, but wanted to try it cuz short. and the graphic is nice. i don’t skate it well, not a huge fan. predictably

got a glue, i think it’s 8.125, just picked it because it is flat. the graphic is cool, i guess, just two colors, minimal. but top and bottom ply are purple with a pink middle play, and that peaking thru the orange graphic is kinda sick. i guess i wish the board was a little smaller, but it works. i like the ps, it’ll probably be lifeless in a week or two, but for now, the pop is noticeably better

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
DISORDER (nijah company) seems loke their boards are made in china. Just see hes ig history that it appears on the label.

No more pstix?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
DISORDER (nijah company) seems loke their boards are made in china. Just see hes ig history that it appears on the label.

No more pstix?

I wonder if he is still using PS Stix for his own and maybe special edition boards, but then the rest of the boards are now from China.

That used to happen a lot with some brands over the years, where the team or riders would get whatever they wanted, but the boards that went to shops were completely different, often lesser quality.

Thanks for the post too!