Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157415 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Also how can I tell who sources higher quality wood? Or is that board specific like fibre light and uberlight and flightdecks and the like?

Just to add to that, I think the whole basis for Shoes & Gear started around questions like that, which have evolved into these sort of threads.

Woodshop was born from a need to get everything in one place and having a whole lot more time with lockdowns and other issues here in Australia, so although this account and thread is still a work in progress, it hopefully will be able to help people with those sort of questions, if not directly from me, but from others contributing to the thread with their opinions and experiences.

Escooter

• Rep: -9
Expand Quote
Also how can I tell who sources higher quality wood? Or is that board specific like fibre light and uberlight and flightdecks and the like?
[close]

That last post might have a bit of that sort of info, but if you are asking about flight and other boards made with fibre based products, not just wood, that is a whole different level right there.  Some would say anything like that is completely unnecessary and over the top, others love those sort of boards and say they could never go back to just a normal seven ply wood skateboard deck.

What was your last board?

Do you break boards?

What would you say your general level of skill is - beginner, intermediate, advanced?

When working in skate shops, the most common questions I would ask included those, mainly to help determine where you were at and what to recommend for you.

I'm from Melbourne man. The last deck I got was a darkstar Ryan decenzo from surfstich for cheap on special and I thought it would be good, because he tre'd that set Malto nosegrinded in pretty sweet. Sadly I cracked it first session with a kicky. I know it sometimes happens as I didn't land bolts.

I'd say I'm intermediate skill level really keen to get back into it and I want to find a good 8.3" board.  maybe a "pro" board will be better investing in but I thought the darkstar would last. I'm not sure about boards with fibre in them as I've never skated one. I would like good quality maple though.
Cheers

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That last post might have a bit of that sort of info, but if you are asking about flight and other boards made with fibre based products, not just wood, that is a whole different level right there.  Some would say anything like that is completely unnecessary and over the top, others love those sort of boards and say they could never go back to just a normal seven ply wood skateboard deck.

What was your last board?

Do you break boards?

What would you say your general level of skill is - beginner, intermediate, advanced?

When working in skate shops, the most common questions I would ask included those, mainly to help determine where you were at and what to recommend for you.
[close]

I'm from Melbourne man. The last deck I got was a darkstar Ryan decenzo from surfstich for cheap on special and I thought it would be good, because he tre'd that set Malto nosegrinded in pretty sweet. Sadly I cracked it first session with a kicky. I know it sometimes happens as I didn't land bolts.

I'd say I'm intermediate skill level really keen to get back into it and I want to find a good 8.3" board.  maybe a "pro" board will be better investing in but I thought the darkstar would last. I'm not sure about boards with fibre in them as I've never skated one. I would like good quality maple though.
Cheers

Snapping on a kickflip on the 1st session doesn't sound right for their Resin-7 models, which all pro decks utilize.

You may actually have a case for the 30-day warranty, try hitting up the retailer or Dwindle directly to see if they can sort you out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871

There is no "higher quality wood" in the way I think you're looking at this from the questions you're asking. Everyone uses maple and it's sourced from a million different places so it's effectively all the same. There are higher quality boards, however. All the stuff you listed are boards that use synthetic materials in addition to maple to increase strength and reduce weight. Most people don't like them because they feel differently but if you are one of those dudes who somehow snaps his deck every session or absolutely need a board they can drive over and still skate then they might be worth looking into but really the shape and (most of all) your technique are going to have much more impact on your skating than what kind of glue your board uses. Just get a 7 ply maple board that feels good under your feet.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
I'm looking into one of the Zero 9.5 shaped boards but does anyone know what wood shop they're using currently?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I'm looking into one of the Zero 9.5 shaped boards but does anyone know what wood shop they're using currently?

Those ones are all said to be BBS if in the USA but if elsewhere, they are from an unknown woodshop in China.

We have the "other" versions here in AU and although they look ok, I am not about to try one and find out.

The shop can usually have a look at the warning sticker, which will have Made in Mexico (from BBS) or Made in China (from somewhere else) and let you know, which I did with my last board purchase, as the sticker on the board didn't look at all familiar, so I wasn't going to try something from an unknown woodshop when buying online.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Cheers

Easy - at least now I know where things are at.

I used to find that some boards that were too new and stiff would be more likely to break within the first few sessions and those Dwindle boards sure are super stiff, but any board can break easily enough, if a heavy landing is just in the wrong spot, eg snapping the tail off most commonly.

Surfstitch does have some pretty good deals, with lots of discounted sales on decent product.  Kind of funny you ask about 8.3 sizes as that is the most common size a number of people I know ride (one who bought them all from Surfstitch in the most recent 40% off sale) but I think there was still one impact light board on there too in 8.375 size, maybe more now if they have restocked.  That would take a bit more of a beating and last through heavy landings, so maybe worth a try if it goes on another sale, which will most likely happen sooner or later.

As for other boards in roughly 8.3 size, that is 8.375 or 8.38 which are pretty much the same thing, all just a hair under 8.5 really, but there can be some significant differences in shapes, some longer and some shorter.

There are almost too many options, but if you are after cheaper / sale boards, there are a few places that have some good sales on right now, which you could try, who I know have some 8.3 sized boards in stock, as I was looking last week.

I can send you a whole list easily enough, rather than putting them all up here, but a few online shops worth checking out include Boarders (Sydney), Kingpin (ebay stores with current 15% discounts), Boardworld, OCD and a few more.*

*  That is if you are not keen or unable to go into a skate shop to stand on boards.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:21:33 PM by Woodshop »

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
Expand Quote
[close]

Those ones are all said to be BBS if in the USA but if elsewhere, they are from an unknown woodshop in China.

We have the "other" versions here in AU and although they look ok, I am not about to try one and find out.

The shop can usually have a look at the warning sticker, which will have Made in Mexico (from BBS) or Made in China (from somewhere else) and let you know, which I did with my last board purchase, as the sticker on the board didn't look at all familiar, so I wasn't going to try something from an unknown woodshop when buying online.

Thanks, I'm in the US so it should be BBS but I saw they were using clutch in the past. I've had bad experiences with clutch wood so just wanted to make sure before I buy.  You're doing God's work with all the woodshop info haha.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, I'm in the US so it should be BBS but I saw they were using clutch in the past. I've had bad experiences with clutch wood so just wanted to make sure before I buy.  You're doing God's work with all the woodshop info haha.

When everything went crazy in 2020, I think a lot of brands used Clutch or "other woodshops" for their boards for a short while, but now everything is "back to normal" it seems like all those brands are back on BBS now.

It can definitely be confusing, as there is probably still some old stock out there in shops and the last thing you want is to order something thinking it was something else.

At least the 2021 to 2022 update should have more reliable sources as everything settles down, but I do try to keep the year anything changed or was noted to be updated too, eg

Zero* US 2021   ……….   ……….   BBS
Zero* 2020   ……….   ……….   Clutch
Zero* (EU/Asia -2020)   ……….   ……….   Dwindle
Zero* (EU/Asia 2021)   ……….   ……….   Dailan Huahong

For some brands in other countries or even some continents, there is probably still a bit of confusion or local licensing means that certain brands might be on locally produced boards or through local distributors on whatever wood they have to hand with the heat transfers being put on in house.  I don't think I can cover everyone, when it comes to that sort of thing, but at least the more info that people provide, the easier it is to keep things updated.

Same with the shop boards list too, which could do with a few more if anyone else has bought a shop board recently, or knows who else uses which boards / woodshops for their shop boards, it is the fourth post on the first page.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729104#msg3729104

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
Gnosis will have to be removed from the list...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaPUfc4Mv-G/

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128

That really sucks. Wonder if that will be the end of Blast Skates or if they will move to another woodshop.

Escooter

Expand Quote

Cheers
[close]

I used to find that some boards that were too new and stiff would be more likely to break within the first few sessions and those Dwindle boards sure are super stiff, but any board can break easily enough, if a heavy landing is just in the wrong spot, eg snapping the tail off most commonly.

Surfstitch does have some pretty good deals, with lots of discounted sales on decent product.  Kind of funny you ask about 8.3 sizes as that is the most common size a number of people I know ride (one who bought them all from Surfstitch in the most recent 40% off sale) but I think there was still one impact light board on there too in 8.375 size, maybe more now if they have restocked.  That would take a bit more of a beating and last through heavy landings, so maybe worth a try if it goes on another sale, which will most likely happen sooner or later.

As for other boards in roughly 8.3 size, that is 8.375 or 8.38 which are pretty much the same thing, all just a hair under 8.5 really, but there can be some significant differences in shapes, some longer and some shorter.

There are almost too many options, but if you are after cheaper / sale boards, there are a few places that have some good sales on right now, which you could try, who I know have some 8.3 sized boards in stock, as I was looking last week.

I can send you a whole list easily enough, rather than putting them all up here, but a few online shops worth checking out include Boarders (Sydney), Kingpin (ebay stores with current 15% discounts), Boardworld, OCD and a few more.*

*  That is if you are not keen or unable to go into a skate shop to stand on boards.

I'm going to go to fast times when I have the money and as the other guy said give some boards a feel. They let you stand on the board in the shop right? Will they let you carpet skate, even just an Ollie? Let the wand choose the wizard so to speak.

I'm currently in a psych ward and iv become quite spiritual and figured out I have an affinity with sugar maple or skateboards. Funny it's not baseball? But they never actually break their bats that often anyway.

Anyone interested should check out totems and pay more attention to the animals they affiliate with and the ones that present themselves. Plants can be totems also, why not? I guess they are also organic after all?

I think we all skate for a reason anyway? I don't know why it has something to do with the effort and sacrifice, in more ways then one and for multiple reasons. I don't know why but we are drawn to these useless wooden toys even if we get beat up trying some fancy movements, we still triumph.

Anyway there is some girl with a possessed porcelain doll in here, so let's hope I make it out with no monkeys on my back.

And no I'm not a jedi wannabe and don't believe that danny gonzalez stole my magic because I did a tre flip foot plant first hahaha even though he's older then me. Like I still have my head in reality, just a tad wrapped, like old mates hookups deck his parents threw in his backyard.(real story)

Anyway, enough voodoo. Thanks for the info. Prey to Satan \m/

"I kickflipped melon grabbed wallenburg first where are my royalties danny?"

disclosed

• Rep: 168
Expand Quote

[close]

That really sucks. Wonder if that will be the end of Blast Skates or if they will move to another woodshop.

yeah that's what also worried me. they used to get stuff somewhere else beofre gnosis but i have no idea where.
i don't know of any other UK woodshops, and i fear getting boards from Euro woodshops will be more expensive.

also i just loved the Gnosis concave. that flat middle makes em nice to my feet while still being steep.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cheers
[close]

[close]

I'm going to go to fast times when I have the money and as the other guy said give some boards a feel. They let you stand on the board in the shop right? Will they let you carpet skate, even just an Ollie? Let the wand choose the wizard so to speak.

I'm currently in a psych ward and iv become quite spiritual and figured out I have an affinity with sugar maple or skateboards. Funny it's not baseball? But they never actually break their bats that often anyway.

Anyone interested should check out totems and pay more attention to the animals they affiliate with and the ones that present themselves. Plants can be totems also, why not? I guess they are also organic after all?

I think we all skate for a reason anyway? I don't know why it has something to do with the effort and sacrifice, in more ways then one and for multiple reasons. I don't know why but we are drawn to these useless wooden toys even if we get beat up trying some fancy movements, we still triumph.

Anyway there is some girl with a possessed porcelain doll in here, so let's hope I make it out with no monkeys on my back.

And no I'm not a jedi wannabe and don't believe that danny gonzalez stole my magic because I did a tre flip foot plant first hahaha even though he's older then me. Like I still have my head in reality, just a tad wrapped, like old mates hookups deck his parents threw in his backyard.(real story)

You must really have nothing better to do. It would be one thing if it was funny, but it's not. Go fuck yourself.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah that's what also worried me. they used to get stuff somewhere else beofre gnosis but i have no idea where.
i don't know of any other UK woodshops, and i fear getting boards from Euro woodshops will be more expensive.

also i just loved the Gnosis concave. that flat middle makes em nice to my feet while still being steep.

And they shall fall...

I wonder how many other "small business ventures" or even larger ones will not make it out the other side in the following year or so.

Anno Domini, Gnosis and maybe more to come.

I had definitely heard some bigger woodshops are having a struggle getting raw materials too, so no boards coming out means no work and no money coming in.

Thanks for the update and info.

Escooter

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cheers
[close]

[close]

[close]

You must really have nothing better to do. It would be one thing if it was funny, but it's not. Go fuck yourself.

Is my misfortune more sad then funny? I prefer to look at the lighter side. I'll f myself while staring at a sigil of "please send me the powers of the jedi" I need to learn noseblunts without a sheet of acid.

Escooter

Xens in the building.... that guy looked down at me for wearing a jumper that my grandmother gifted me in his shop. How xen. Also questioned my mate for wearing a matt Hoffman tshirt and my mate simply replied "do you want my money or not?" He shut his mouth quick smart lol

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
Has anyone taken a look at those $25 Heart Supply boards on skate warehouse? Are those still dwindle or shitty target wood?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Has anyone taken a look at those $25 Heart Supply boards on skate warehouse? Are those still dwindle or shitty target wood?

The boards are almost certainly made in China.

The single nail dot in the front bolt area is consistent with a number of other boards from China that many companies are using, those of which I have stood on and occasionally skated seemed fine to me, definitely not cheap crap if that is what you were asking.

As to how long they last or the concave on those boards, they look to be ok for a $25 board.

It is interesting that some of the boards seem to have started as $50 "pro board prices" but are all now $25 so who knows what is going on there.

Also when looking through, they always have the top, sides and graphic pics, which have close ups, so I can see some have Dwindle tops (normal price boards), even impact light constructions on the more expensive decks, then others have the blank tops with the single nail dot (cheaper boards).

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/The_Heart_Supply_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKHEARTSUPP.html

Dwindle top

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Heart_Supply_Cosmic_Checker_Deck_825_x_32/descpage-THSCKRDK.html

Blank nail dot top (and all red tops which was annoying)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 08:13:34 PM by Woodshop »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Expand Quote
[close]

It is interesting that some of the boards seem to have started as $50 "pro board prices" but are all now $25 so who knows what is going on there.

It’s the SW Presidents’ Day sale. My guess is since heartsupply boards aren’t moving so they’re just gonna clearance them out.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s the SW Presidents’ Day sale. My guess is since heartsupply boards aren’t moving so they’re just gonna clearance them out.

I might have seen the email for that, but I have been super busy with other things.

I think you are right with the boards not moving.  Seemed like the only people who really wanted them were kids who didn't know anything about the company and just liked the graphic, from people I have seen riding them.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah at some point they're just taking up space and SW is one of the few places moving enough volume to sell a few dozen boards at cost without it mattering.

No idea what the wood is, I'd have to have it in front of me. HS has used prime in the past and they were definitely been pumping out $30 blanks pre-pandemic. That's actually what the last prime deck I really skated was. Some have the alignment divot (mine did), some don't....same with the u5 stamp. There's a lack of consistency with prime stuff that makes it hard to ID. It could be PGI as well, the stain is right but the mold looks a little weird.

All that being said Schillereff has been doing this for a long, long time and I'm sure has one of the deepest rolodexes in the industry so he's probably getting good China wood (like PGI) if that's what he's getting. I wouldn't have huge expectations but I also wouldn't be scared to buy one.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
This just popped up on my radar - new wood shop out of Missoula .

Wouldshop - https://wouldshopskates.bigcartel.com
https://www.instagram.com/wouldshopskates/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUeZ2P4r02h/

My local just started selling Schnar Skates which are pressed by them.

https://shnarskateboards.bigcartel.com

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Just added a few more including Dutch brand Gentlemen Skateboards to the list.

This setup looks pretty good too - second and third pics from the first post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY_nGnssyUv/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbAUlos6T1/

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY_nGnssyUv/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbAUlos6T1/

That dark green top is talking to me

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
This just popped up on my radar - new wood shop out of Missoula .

Wouldshop - https://wouldshopskates.bigcartel.com
https://www.instagram.com/wouldshopskates/

My local just started selling Schnar Skates which are pressed by them.

https://shnarskateboards.bigcartel.com

Thanks - added to the list.

I don't know why but I thought I had added Wouldshop to the list before, but I guess I hadn't so at least it is on there now, as well as the Shnar Skateboards brand too.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

That dark green top is talking to me

Ha yeah, glad I am not the only one.

When I saw it, I thought I had to post that pic as well.

The stain is nice in person too - had a few boards from Clutch in the shop a while back and some had that as the bottom too, with minimal graphic, so I was sad to see that go when it did finally sell.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
I genuinely apologize for asking so many questions, but I was definitely under the impression Chapman were using clutch blanks as their wood. I only ask because I was chatting with a Christian skateboard brand and they assured me their decks were Chapman as of 2022. When I mentioned I had heard Chapman were using Clutch wood, they told me that “to their knowledge” that that wasn’t the case. Are Chapman lying to customers or is this board brand claiming something that’s not true?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 09:21:50 PM by ish_wav »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I genuinely apologize for asking so many questions, but I was definitely under the impression Chapman were using clutch blanks as their wood. I only ask because I was chatting with a Christian skateboard brand and they assured me their decks were Chapman as of 2022. When I mentioned I had heard Chapman were using Clutch wood, they told me that “to their knowledge” that that wasn’t the case. Are Chapman lying to customers or is this board brand claiming something that’s not true?

Ask away!

No matter how many questions or what you ask, at least someone should be able to give a good answer.

As to the who is using what wood, the simple fact that Chapman sold their presses so now they are really only a heat transfer distributor, so they buy in decks from elsewhere and don't actually make any of their own at all.

That is really all that I know to be fact from that situation.

The best thing to do is check the top of any boards that come from them, and see if there are any marks on the deck itself, even though someone had said they had seen Clutch boards with out the letter / number stamp, that is the easist way to see if they are from Clutch.  Same as the green stained board a few posts above, or the Clutch pics on the first page.

Regardless of what woodshop they may or may not be using, if they skate well, then you are good to go.  If you don't like the way the boards skate, that is more reason to find out a bit more about where the boards come from, so you can avoid it in the future, but being able to see what is on the top of the board is the best start.

What I am seeing more often is "unknown wood" often with the single nail top, or a generic size laser stamp on a lot of boards between the bolts, which is almost always something from China, but it also seems they hold up well enough, so it is not a cause for concern as some people once used to think.

The only other thing I can think is if a deck has a "Made in..." sticker, but most of the smaller brands now do not if they are blanks that are just going to be used with heat transfer graphics and shrink wrapped for whatever brand the distributor or company wants to put on them.

Eg "Made in Australia" stickers from one company are just heat transfers done in house here in AU on boards pressed in China, along with some other well known bigger ones with clearly displayed "Made in USA" when the boards are pressed in Mexico and another in China, then heat transferred in USA.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal

Its not that they're lying, they don't publicize it and if you don't ask they're not just going to tell you. Chapman pressed boards for a long time, so most people assume they still do. I'm guessing that technically the "to their knowledge" is correct, but only because they never asked.

But yes, Chapman doesn't even own a woodshop anymore.. Unless they've changed suppliers in the past few months they're clutch and have been for years. The decks even have the ASF shape/size code stamps. Doesn't mean that they're bad and I remember Chapman wood as not being particularly good so if anything it's an upgrade in my book. It's the same business model that most US deck "manufacturers" use, not a lot of US places actually press wood at a commercial level.

There's a lot of outdated and/or incorrect assumptions that get made even by company owners. I know we've all seen a shop or brand advertising their "Made in the USA" generator deck (happens a lot with clutch too) despite the wood coming from Mexico. I think a lot of the time they call a US number and talk to an American and the return address on the box is from California so they assume the boards are made here too. Believe it or not this thread, while far from perfect, is one of the best and most up to date resources you'll find in terms of who presses what.