Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 164404 times)

ImmanuelCunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
Oh that grimple stix looks sick. It is even a slick the .25 difference in wb seems to be from the nose. Might  I promised myself to not buy more decks this month... Could redrill it with a 6 whole as well. Thanks for the help. The 9.25 is too big for me sadly. I can skate e.g. the loveseat shape(9.0), but it does not feel right, too wide and somewhat sluggish on flips because of that, at least for me. The 8.75 with that short wb and overall length seems to be a sweet spot for me.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Oh that grimple stix looks sick. It is even a slick the .25 difference in wb seems to be from the nose. Might  I promised myself to not buy more decks this month... Could redrill it with a 6 whole as well. Thanks for the help. The 9.25 is too big for me sadly. I can skate e.g. the loveseat shape(9.0), but it does not feel right, too wide and somewhat sluggish on flips because of that, at least for me. The 8.75 with that short wb and overall length seems to be a sweet spot for me.

I totally get what you are saying about the bigger board.  Some are fun to just roll around on, but if you want it for more than that, I wouldn't want it that wide either and although I like to modify things, I think shaving the shoulders off it would just be a bit of a pain, when there might be something else out there that would work well that you didn't have to mess with so much.

The good thing with DLX is those sort of shapes usually are not a one off and never done again and the "egg shaped deck" is definitely in a rising interest category.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I saw a curious sticker while browsing online today, on a board I would usually think was BBS but turns out it is not and this one is Made in China, so just wondering if anyone has seen this in person and stood on the board to see how the concave is.

The pic is probably going to be a bit blurry as I tried to blow it up even more than I should have, but at least the look of it is pretty easy to see.

This is the link to the ebay pic, which has the whole board.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SUgAAOSw4rhiBzts/s-l1600.jpg

Anyone else seen that sticker or know where the board comes from?

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br

So I don't forget to add this.

I am wondering if they are just local to Brazil or distribute them elsewhere in South America too.

@brucewillis   Any other info???

Expand Quote
Magenta, Uma Landsleds, Rave Skateboards and Habitat are being made at IBL woodshop here in Brazil.

Great wood and shapes, skating a Habitat Fred Gall 8.25 rn and it's amazing.
[close]

Thanks for that info - I seem to recall something about IBL before but I am now following their instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/iblskateboards/

Brazil only.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I sell uncut blanks, check out @WorkinHardHardware on insta. Have 9.5" and 11" uncuts hand glued and pressed in Tempe, AZ 8)

Looking good!

From the BLANKS thread.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
how’s ps stix been lately? been on bbs (hockey/fa) and really want to try out a gx deck

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
how’s ps stix been lately? been on bbs (hockey/fa) and really want to try out a gx deck

I feel like some people have unpleasant experiences with PS Stix, but lots of other people still skate their boards and enjoy them.

Sure they are a different feel to some other companies, as well as some pretty significant quality control issues with a few boards people have posted, but they still work well for what people want for the most part and are still up there with the best for many people who love them.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a quick look around and know there is an Antihero deck that is much the same, pic below, but I couldn't see too many others like that one.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

[....]

Got the grimple today. It has almost the same shape. From aligning the AH on the darkroom I would say it tapers less on the nose (starting from the middle of the board). Not sure on the tail though might even be exactly the same shape. A bit hard to determine from just aligning them on top of each other, because of the different wheelbase (14.25 as advertised), which seems shorten both the nose and tail a bit (determined by aligning them on the bolts) and because one deck is already in use making it impossible to align them by putting them up on the ground. Overall it is really close, almost looks like they just adjusted only half of the outline in the CAD-Model and the wheelbase drills. Which does make sense from a production point of view I guess. Thanks for the suggestion I am excited to see how these 2 differ for me when skating (if at all).

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
Bit of sad news, but it looks like Scumco logo boards are no longer pennswood pressed. Newest drop says they were pressed by Control. Never tried control wood, but I was really looking forward to another pennswood scumco deck.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Bit of sad news, but it looks like Scumco logo boards are no longer pennswood pressed. Newest drop says they were pressed by Control. Never tried control wood, but I was really looking forward to another pennswood scumco deck.

Check the comments on this one.  Maybe there is hope to get some still.

plaingraysweater
Aw man, no more pennswood? Wanted another pennswood pressed logo board after the one I'm up is gone.

scumcosons
plaingraysweater dm me

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
@Woodshop that was me in the comments! Unfortunately, he confirmed that these are indeed control this time around. Though, it seemed a bit like there was a possibility of them going back to pennswood when it's feasible.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Ha yeah, I should have looked in to the account.

Are they having to get whatever they can from where ever they can?

Checked all and they are about half and half - some Generator and some Control.

https://scumcoandsons.com/collections/shop/products/kevin-taylor-wu-forever

Generator Pressing

https://scumcoandsons.com/collections/shop/products/logoboard

Control Canada Pressing

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.

Generator Pressing

Control Canada Pressing

What's the word on Control decks? I have a TOPX and Rave on ice that I can't bring myself to skate yet and I feel the madness creeping in again.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

What's the word on Control decks? I have a TOPX and Rave on ice that I can't bring myself to skate yet and I feel the madness creeping in again.

I would also be interested to hear what others think of them.

The used board from a lot I bought is fairly decent to skate on still - Studio flowers deck - maybe the closest (besides Clutch boards) in concave to BBS too, which made me look twice but it is definitely Control and I can see differences too.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Has anyone skated that Uma FARK shape that the Roman is in? 8.9"? trying to discern a measurement over trucks. Thanks.

I had a look at a few pics and did the copy / paste comparison from widest point to the bolts (can send you a pic if needed) but I think it is maybe 8.75 or more at the front bolts and about 8.5 or a bit more at the back trucks.

Compared to some other boards, it didn't look like it tapers in much at all so you probably could still run Ace classics on it easily enough.

I put up the board pic as it is a good example of BBS hologram sticker and alt warning sticker too, this time being lower beside the back bolts and pink as per the Uma stickers, not the usual red and white.

(Sorry it might be a big pic)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Clutch Wood
its BBS for the kyle and kunle decks and PS for the lil kim

From the Violet thread, boards from PS Stix and said to also be BBS and more.

Anyone got any more info?

I can see PS Stix top sticker on the white one here at least.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
Expand Quote

Generator Pressing

Control Canada Pressing
[close]

I’m on a thumbs nyc control pressed board now and I like it. Good pop, not too steep, not too mellow. Good middle of the road board.

Get hungry on it!

LebowskisRug

Bonus points to anyone that can get actual measurements on the BBS Scumco.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
Expand Quote

Generator Pressing

Control Canada Pressing
[close]

They suck. Dead, soggy wood. I don't hate the mold but it honestly sounds like dropping a wet log when you pop. Bought one, thought it was a dud and I just got unlucky so I bought another. It was worse.

And yes, they've been having trouble getting boards basically since early in the pandemic. Haven't been to the shop for a while so I don't know what his plans are but it was originally to switch to PS so if he's got a generator account now I'd anticipate him switching over to that full time.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Control is average at the best, used to skate their boards for years until i got into Dwindle/BBS/PS boards and never looked back. Boards would feel dud after couple sessions.

Escooter

• Rep: -9
Any idea who makes boards with sugar maple/Canadian maple? I want one for my next board located in Australia. I think we get boards from both us and euro

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
Any idea who makes boards with sugar maple/Canadian maple? I want one for my next board located in Australia. I think we get boards from both us and euro

Everyone. Nearly every professional skateboard manufacturer uses the same wood. I'd wager close to 100% of the companies in this thread. They source it from different places but it's by and large not what differentiates the quality of a board. Differences between the shops are more down to glue choice (although most use Franklin sk-8), press settings and techniques, molds, and attention to detail. Just don't buy a price point and you're fine, but a lot of those are the same wood too (just lower graded veneer).

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Woodshop thread and funnily enough I have been out cutting wood the last couple of days as we had a massive tree come down in the storm from Friday night.

As to maple / wood specific questions, I am thinking a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but in terms of maple used for skateboard decks, the best thing to do is go into your local skate shop and not just have a look at boards there, but stand on them and figure out what feels more comfortable, as most (not quite all) will be made from the same product, but will feel quite different under your feet.

At least all of Australia is pretty much open and good for in store shopping, so unless someone is in an area without anything, there should still be some sort of shop around to be able to go in and talk to someone.

I am in Brisbane QLD, but used to travel all over AU for work so have been into many, many skate shops.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Control is average at the best, used to skate their boards for years until i got into Dwindle/BBS/PS boards and never looked back. Boards would feel dud after couple sessions.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Generator Pressing

Control Canada Pressing
[close]

[close]

They suck. Dead, soggy wood. I don't hate the mold but it honestly sounds like dropping a wet log when you pop. Bought one, thought it was a dud and I just got unlucky so I bought another. It was worse.

And yes, they've been having trouble getting boards basically since early in the pandemic. Haven't been to the shop for a while so I don't know what his plans are but it was originally to switch to PS so if he's got a generator account now I'd anticipate him switching over to that full time.

Thanks for the input guys, good thing I ordered just 1 to test out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
Differences between the shops are more down to glue choice (although most use Franklin sk-8), press settings and techniques, molds, and attention to detail.
Do you know if PS Stix and BBS use the same glue? Just wondering what could the biggest contributor in them feeling and responding so different. Even the chipping seems to be somewhat unique for each of them.

LebowskisRug

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Generator Pressing

Control Canada Pressing
[close]

[close]

If you get your hands on any of the BBS decks can you get measurements? Specifically looking at the 8.38

Escooter

Expand Quote
[close]

Everyone. Nearly every professional skateboard manufacturer uses the same wood. I'd wager close to 100% of the companies in this thread. They source it from different places but it's by and large not what differentiates the quality of a board. Differences between the shops are more down to glue choice (although most use Franklin sk-8), press settings and techniques, molds, and attention to detail. Just don't buy a price point and you're fine, but a lot of those are the same wood too (just lower graded veneer).

Good to know that most still use maple and haven't changed the game for some other wood.
What do you mean by price point?

Escooter

Also how can I tell who sources higher quality wood? Or is that board specific like fibre light and uberlight and flightdecks and the like?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good to know that most still use maple and haven't changed the game for some other wood.
What do you mean by price point?

Where are you in AU?

Have you been into a City Beach or even just a department store and had a look at their cheaper skateboards, either decks or completes, then looked at or stood on a pro board, or at least a deck that was usually around the $100+ compared to the $50 decks?

This is more to help get an understanding, than anything else.  Not trying to be a dick or anything.

If you have been around skateboarding for a while, or at least been into any skate shops, you would see there are cheaper boards and more expensive boards.

The cheaper boards are often called price point boards, as they are cheaper, hence price in the name, but are often made with inferior wood or cheaper wood (Birch or other substitute product instead of "Hard Rock Maple"), which for a beginner or a person who doesn't break boards, might not matter at all what board they get, but for someone bigger (adult sized or can skate with reasonable ability) one of those boards will most likely not last half as long as a better quality board.

Even just looking at the layers of wood, the cheaper boards are more often than not all natural ply layers and thicker than the "pro quality" boards, which often (but not always) have a stained layer or even a few stained layers, are lighter, stronger and more solid than the cheaper boards.

There are a few articles you could read about different quality boards, some being a bit more out there than others, or even considered one sided by the manufacturer, but the most simple blog is this one (below) along with this Instagram post comparing boards, all from the same woodshop and company too.

https://bbsmfg.com/blog/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Also how can I tell who sources higher quality wood? Or is that board specific like fibre light and uberlight and flightdecks and the like?

That last post might have a bit of that sort of info, but if you are asking about flight and other boards made with fibre based products, not just wood, that is a whole different level right there.  Some would say anything like that is completely unnecessary and over the top, others love those sort of boards and say they could never go back to just a normal seven ply wood skateboard deck.

What was your last board?

Do you break boards?

What would you say your general level of skill is - beginner, intermediate, advanced?

When working in skate shops, the most common questions I would ask included those, mainly to help determine where you were at and what to recommend for you.