Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
484 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.8%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 680

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 163577 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Another interesting find...

Looks like they finally caved and are selling blanks like PS Stix
https://skatesamples.com/

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Looks like they finally caved and are selling blanks like PS Stix
https://skatesamples.com/
[close]

Looks like shipping within the US only
Still would be interesting to see the dims on the regular decks
I see the shaped ones have length and wb listed but not the pops
[close]

This just made my day. With spring hitting I’ve been toasting decks in three weeks and it’s killing the bank account. Gonna order an 8.5 I’ll update with dimensions when I get it
[close]

Woodchuck laminates sells generator blanks, but with free shipping.

While they have not expressively said they switched to generator, their listed 8.25 specs are the same my sci fi and birdhouse 8.25s. I had woodchuck do 2 runs of boards for me, as well.

A single board is 29.99 but you may save on the shipping fee
[close]

Are you positive it's generator? I bought one (8.75 blank) about 2 months ago and it didn't feel as "sturdy" as a typical generator/bbs deck.
[close]

The 8.25s were identical shape. Woodchuck boards had to top notch but no other generator/bbs markings

I only have an 8.5 left from the woodchuck order at home, can’t post detailed pictures cause I’m out of state.

And I know it’s not clutch. Clutch boards feel different

Wow.

Guessing most woodshops now have a little too much stock, which only increases the "dog eat dog" type of situation that is going on right now in the skateboard industry for decks.

Thanks @rocklobster nice find!!!

Thanks everyone else for any other info.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Adding this here:

8.75 Blackhole shop deck
Indy 159s
Spitfire conical full 58mm
Bones hard bushings
Mini logo bearings
Adidas busentiz pro
carhartt socks
carhartt shorts

Trying to convert back to popsicles after riding shaped decks for a while. Am I imagining it or have most popsicles gotten a lot fatter in the nose? It's a BBS deck. I feel like I need to do some modifications to this deck so the nose doesn't look so huge when I look down at it.

Can you post a top pic please?

I keep going back to a few 8.75 boards (various BBS brands, different shapes of popsicle) and they all look like they have big noses, but that is just the look of most of these boards.

Some might be a bit more full looking than others though.

Thanks.

@Mbrimson88 Here's a top pic. It definitely looks way more normal in this pic than it does in real life to me... The board next to it is the last shaped deck i was riding, it's not actually that much smaller, just an optical illusion

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 05:00:14 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hockey boards imo set the trend of having "Full" square noses. Everyone started doing them after that but no ones is as blunt as Hockey's still.

Why are Control boards so flat on the nose and tail? I'm not talking about the steepness of the kicks, but there is literally ZERO concave (Cambre?) at all on them. Ben De Gros and others have talked about it on their videos and I have a couple sitting here as well and I remember what it felt like riding them. Do some people actually prefer this?

A lot of amazing skaters ride them and make them work - I was riding them for a long time and obviously they are "fine". I guess most skaters don't care about that who ride the boards, I know I did not at the time. they just hear "Made in Canada" and assume it is superior. They do feel like very solid boards at least as far as from breakage is concerned, they just seem stiff to me and felt like I didnt get as bouncy of a snap off the tail. Someone else mentioned that doing combos from nose/tail > crook feel a lot harder on those boards as well, but I doublt that trickset is swaying that many people's purchase decision.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Hockey boards imo set the trend of having "Full" square noses. Everyone started doing them after that but no ones is as blunt as Hockey's still.

Why are Control boards so flat on the nose and tail? I'm not talking about the steepness of the kicks, but there is literally ZERO concave (Cambre?) at all on them. Ben De Gros and others have talked about it on their videos and I have a couple sitting here as well and I remember what it felt like riding them. Do some people actually prefer this?

A lot of amazing skaters ride them and make them work - I was riding them for a long time and obviously they are "fine". I guess most skaters don't care about that who ride the boards, I know I did not at the time. they just hear "Made in Canada" and assume it is superior. They do feel like very solid boards at least as far as from breakage is concerned, they just seem stiff to me and felt like I didnt get as bouncy of a snap off the tail. Someone else mentioned that doing combos from nose/tail > crook feel a lot harder on those boards as well, but I doublt that trickset is swaying that many people's purchase decision.

Yeah it does seem like FA / Hockey had the most squared off shapes, doing them first on PS Stix, now on BBS, so that alone is not limited to any one woodshop, quite a few others now having a square / full shape option, some only for specific brands, others for anyone to use, eg Clutch with the O shape, as per their shape guide here:

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1

As to the kicks and concave through the boards, in both the middle and kicks, some woodshops use a simple mold with no added "spoon" like concave through the kicks, whereas others have that as the main thing they do, so it is all down to the individual woodshop with how they set up their molds with flat faced kicks or spoon shaped kicks.

I feel like most woodshops don't have any "spoon" to their kicks though, mainly BBS (all their boards) and a select press / mold from other woodshops, as I recall Clutch / ASF produced boards were very similar to BBS at one point, but don't know about many now.

Certainly Dwindle does not have any, then as you mentioned Control pressed boards (not the ones they may or may not be getting from BBS or elsewhere) as well as PS Stix with flat faces on their kicks too, along with most if not all of the boards out of unknown factories in China, as per half a dozen or more brands I have stood on from different woodshops in the last few years.

Given I am very used to BBS wood, almost anything else feels weird, but I used to skate a lot of PS Stix boards and still have boards from almost every other woodshop either set up for people to try, or used and waiting for a new home at the indoor park.

I just tested a local shop board someone brought in, wood from Clutch not long ago and although I was not used to the concave, I did ok on it.  The board itself is 9" wide so big and long (maybe a V 10 shape), which I drilled back to make a shorter wheelbase and flattened some as well, but it was stiff and strong and held up well to whatever I did, as well as others having a good session on it at the indoor park too, after I had modified it, so that is not to say that people can't adapt to other boards either.

As for other people, I know others who find BBS hard to skate and don't like the concave and spoon like kicks, preferring the flat faces of Dwindle or other woodshop produced boards, so it is definitely down to what you know, what you are used to and how things work for the individual skater too.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
Well now that you mention PS Stix having flat boards - Nyjah's board is incredibly flat and he obviously makes it work... there is definintely some value in it for some people. just not for me lol

i was riding a clutch board from sept-March and it felt somewhere in between for nose/tail spoon. i have a feeling the board was stored poorly because the nose chipped super easily just from kicking out on a boardslide on a flat bar. but other than that the board was actually decent it was just SUPER pointy nose and tail compared to what everyone else is doing now. it was a little flat concave too, but enough you could still feel it/notice it, and the kicks were not steep at all compared to bbs. when it got old they got really flat. 

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
What brands are using BBS premium wood?
I tried searching slap for info but haven’t found much.
Skated a Limosine and it has a noticeable difference in quality compared to already excellent BBS standards

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
What brands are using BBS premium wood?
I tried searching slap for info but haven’t found much.
Skated a Limosine and it has a noticeable difference in quality compared to already excellent BBS standards

To be perfectly honest I think it is just marketing talk, more than anything else.

For pretty much all the normal BBS boards, be it DLX brands - Antihero, Real, Krooked, There or Unity, through Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, Heroin, Polar, Limosine or any other normal brand as per the BBS list on the first page, it is all the same, maybe some feel different - more mellow for some brands or steeper molds used for others, eg dedicated presses for select brands like FA / Hockey or some for DLX brands, maybe some might last longer, some might feel stiffer, some more flexy, etc but I feel like that is just down to how they are skated more than anything else, even though there is always the possibility of the ply veneer having issues that are not picked up in the usual quality control process.

They are all boards I would consider "pro wood" compared to any other options, like the pricepoint wood boards that some of the brands use for their cheaper deck options - usually all plain or natural grain, or advertised as "pricepoint" and sold as cheaper RRP than pro wood.  There is also the stock, be it blanks, shop boards, etc that come out of BBS that are sold under Generator which is not quite the same as the pro wood, but it is definitely not pricepoint either.

Apart from that, some brands, some shops and even some distributors will add in their own words, things like "premium wood" or where they are made - Made in USA being a common one, but at the end of the day, they are all made in the one place in Mexico and then either shipped off to various places round the world, or sent to the USA for distribution under the select brand, or to the Generator location in CA for printing, or whatever else as needed.

As for the BBS blanks listed on that site above, the word "premium" is not needed but just to have "Blank deck" is a bit too plain isn't it?

https://skatesamples.com/products/blank-deck-premium-2-dye

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Edited - Thanks Diego!

Cleaver = PS Stix 2023

Nothing huge or groundbreaking, but I see Tactics now have Cleaver Skateboards, with top pics showing a mix of what looked like HLC (but is not) and PS Stix, unless it is a stock old image.

https://www.tactics.com/cleaver

From the mind of legendary Argentine skater Diego Bucchieri AKA “The Butcher”, we're hyped to welcome Cleaver Skateboards to the shop.

Currently run & operated out of Madrid Spain, Cleaver serves up high-quality skateboards with elegant graphics, and apparel to match, all under the ever-watchful eye of The Butcher himself.

Top sticker and even the shape is interesting, looking a lot more full / square.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 03:45:20 PM by Woodshop »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image

polar P2 is a bit more extreme (nose is longer too)

And this one from Snack is interesting, slightly more square than Hockey/FA
https://shop.snackskateboards.com/products/lil-prince-deck?_pos=1&_sid=d4f56856f&_ss=r&variant=39620281696334

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

polar P2 is a bit more extreme (nose is longer too)

And this one from Snack is interesting, slightly more square than Hockey/FA

They look like fun!

At what point do "popsicle boards" end and "shaped boards" start, or how do we differentiate between them?

Not that it matters at all, just musing really.

Sure we have "full" popsicle boards, but then there are "shovel nose" and similar shaped boards out as well.

I remember when shovel nose boards were popular for a minute, but that seems to have dropped off as quickly as it started.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/the-approach-shovel-nose-skateboard-deck-8-4-p39911

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

The shovel nose could be used to clean out the spot before skating, saving bringing tools and a board.

I had one of these, not that I ever used it like that though.  Functional tail as per a normal board, with the squared off nose.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
Does anyone know if this Primitive sizing guide for their decks is actually accurate? 8.38 x 14.1875" wb

this looks like a great size for me, tail is tiny bit longer than i'd want but its fine

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Does anyone know if this Primitive sizing guide for their decks is actually accurate? 8.38 x 14.1875" wb

this looks like a great size for me, tail is tiny bit longer than i'd want but its fine

Although I haven't seen any recently, most places do have the wheelbase at about that and I know that Primitive boards are shorter with shorter wheelbases from looking at them in the past.

Width : 8.38"
Length : 31.88"
Wheelbase : 14.19"

Width: 8.38"
Length: 31.925"
Wheelbase: 14.2"

* From a couple of places

Someone else might have more info though, or be able to tell you about that exact shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

To add this, which I found when looking, with a very good top view and side view:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/primitive-team-home-8-38-skateboard-deck-blue_p157720

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Primitive-Trent+McClung+Demo+8+38+Skateboard+Deck-672888

The link has a much clearer pic, but this is the thumbnail anyway:

They actually have really good pics of all sized boards, graphic, top and side concave views:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/products/?q=primitive%20deck

I would add Blue Tomato to the list of shops that have board pics and dimensions, almost all listed from what I could see when I checked quite a few brands there.

All decks:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/products/categories/Skate+Shop-00000015--Skateboards-00000016--Skateboard+Decks-00000017/

« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 05:07:01 PM by Mbrimson88 »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.

They are accurate, long decks with short WB, perfect for Ventures. Rounded nose that aren't square.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I saw a really good new thread come up and don't want to steal the thunder from @TwisT who put up an awesome list but if anyone is looking for blank decks, this is a great thread to check out:

BLANK DECKS IN SEMI BULK OPTIONS - current for May 2023

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126420

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
Anyone know what wood shop Madrid is using?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

They have their own woodshop, maybe one of the longest lasting in the industry and they do their own boards and some for other small brands / runs from when I looked them up a while back.

From the first page:

Madrid Skateboard Factory (est 1976)
USA
https://www.madridskateboards.com/
https://www.instagram.com/madridskateboards/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Local mall shop just got a shitload of cliché decks in. Wth is going on?
https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-AT/products/brand/Cliche-590/categories/Skate+Shop-00000015--Skateboards-00000016--Skateboard+Decks-00000017/gender/men/?sort=-isnew%2C-newest_first

The brand Cliche has come and gone a fair bit after being incorporated into Dwindle and they have been bringing out a few here and there over the years.  They are still owned by Dwindle, and made in DSM woodshop, so it would make sense that they would bring out generic graphics of their umbrella of brands, no pro models and just "money makers" for the corporate owners now.

WelcomeToHell

Thank you! I should have search the thread. I just looked at the first list of brands and didn’t see it.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
Anyone skate an HLC deck? If so, how was it?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you! I should have search the thread. I just looked at the first list of brands and didn’t see it.

Not a worry and always happy to help!

:)

It is often a funny one in that situation as Madrid tend to make a lot more "other" boards, like the background pics in that Instagram post, so are well known for their completes or their cruiser or similar boards, more so than popsicles.

From stumbling across quite a few brands with similar setups, where they make their own boards, be it a big or small manufacturing operation, but most always do something a little differently so have niche markets that they cater to and will keep people happy with the sort of thing that you just can't easily get from mainstream woodshops.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

I think as per any woodshop, some people will have quite different views on the product, some good and some not so good.

As a manufacturer that is pumping out a significant amount of product, they definitely have a lot going on and supply a number of pro brands with wood.

The few HLC boards I have come across have been decent, no issues, skate well and last for those people riding them.

There is a variety of concaves and some more mellow, some steeper, some with more "fingers of flat" than average, others no different to some other brands, so it comes down to the individual board and what you like - hoping you can stand on it or at least see it in person more so than ordering online, but their site has a lot more info too.

HLC (est 2000)
Europe (Spain)
https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/
https://www.instagram.com/hlcdistribution/

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
Expand Quote
[close]

I think as per any woodshop, some people will have quite different views on the product, some good and some not so good.

As a manufacturer that is pumping out a significant amount of product, they definitely have a lot going on and supply a number of pro brands with wood.

The few HLC boards I have come across have been decent, no issues, skate well and last for those people riding them.

There is a variety of concaves and some more mellow, some steeper, some with more "fingers of flat" than average, others no different to some other brands, so it comes down to the individual board and what you like - hoping you can stand on it or at least see it in person more so than ordering online, but their site has a lot more info too.

HLC (est 2000)
Europe (Spain)
https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/
https://www.instagram.com/hlcdistribution/

Gotcha, thanks. I’m buying a deck in Europe and figured most of the decks in shops over there would either be DSM or HLC.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
I skated several Sours and never had a problem. They might be little heavier than your usual boars but nothing too dramatic. Shape wise they're just ok, nothing to go crazy about. Overall they're pretty solid boards.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]
I skated several Sours and never had a problem. They might be little heavier than your usual boars but nothing too dramatic. Shape wise they're just ok, nothing to go crazy about. Overall they're pretty solid boards.

Skating one I got for free now, compared to BBS/Generator the wood feels more clumsy and you have a more heavy feeling once you pop tricks, but feels good overall. It's easy to spot an HLC board because all of their WB is 14.2, it's weird specially on narrow and wider boards.

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It is often a funny one in that situation as Madrid tend to make a lot more "other" boards, like the background pics in that Instagram post, so are well known for their completes or their cruiser or similar boards, more so than popsicles.

From stumbling across quite a few brands with similar setups, where they make their own boards, be it a big or small manufacturing operation, but most always do something a little differently so have niche markets that they cater to and will keep people happy with the sort of thing that you just can't easily get from mainstream woodshops.

That’s makes sense! Don’t tell anyone but was asking because I was looking at one of Madrid’s freestyle boards! (Insert Munch’s The Scream here)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s makes sense! Don’t tell anyone but was asking because I was looking at one of Madrid’s freestyle boards! (Insert Munch’s The Scream here)

I feel like there has been a resurgence of interest in "any other" boards in recent years, including freestyle boards.  Given it was the board that helped so many flip / spin variations of tricks come about thanks to Mr Mullen, then just recently brands like Antihero (under Grimplestix) made a freestyle deck and complete option too, which I think is still around today, so you are not alone there.

Thinking over the history of the popsicle too, boards got so small and skinny for a minute they were almost freestyle boards, only with a more generalised mainstream acceptance, if that could be said of anything in skateboarding.

Madrid sure do have a lot of options for almost if not every single type of skateboard over the decades and still press those completely flat boards, through various drop through board options, to single and double kicks in every size, shape, etc.

Good luck with your adventures!!!

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel like there has been a resurgence of interest in "any other" boards in recent years, including freestyle boards.  Given it was the board that helped so many flip / spin variations of tricks come about thanks to Mr Mullen, then just recently brands like Antihero (under Grimplestix) made a freestyle deck and complete option too, which I think is still around today, so you are not alone there.

Thinking over the history of the popsicle too, boards got so small and skinny for a minute they were almost freestyle boards, only with a more generalised mainstream acceptance, if that could be said of anything in skateboarding.

Madrid sure do have a lot of options for almost if not every single type of skateboard over the decades and still press those completely flat boards, through various drop through board options, to single and double kicks in every size, shape, etc.

Good luck with your adventures!!!

Thank you!!