Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
484 (70.7%)
Yeah I guess a bit
162 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.8%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 680

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 162327 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Expand Quote
Anybody can tell me more about 8.25 pizza shapes?

Ps stix. Are they similar to GX?
[close]

Holding on to the Pizza 8.25 x 31.825 x 14.25, slight taper towards the nose and tail, unlike the GX which has a fuller nose and stubbier tail. The top pic gives a good idea of the shape:
https://pizzaskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/vieira-speedy-deck-8-25?utm_source=sg.pizzaskateboards.com&utm_campaign=cs_w&utm_medium=wi_proxy&utm_content=en_SG&gl_currency=USD&gl_language=en

I got one for cheap and it skates really good. Are there brands with similar dimensions? I really think it’s pretty much perfect for me.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

@SlapMcKracken Was it the popsicle / pointy one or the other one with the shovel nose and tail?

Anything you could get for cheap, keep looking and get more, as long as you can afford it. 

That is what I always try to do.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SlapMcKracken

@SlapMcKracken Was it the popsicle / pointy one or the other one with the shovel nose and tail?

Anything you could get for cheap, keep looking and get more, as long as you can afford it. 

That’s a good question man.
It’s not fa/gx/Alien Full, but also not baker pointed.

I did order two more and one of them says „shovel nose and tail“ on the site, so let’s see if it’s different to the one I got.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote

[close]

I did order two more and one of them says „shovel nose and tail“ on the site, so let’s see if it’s different to the one I got.

They did go to Clutch for a bit so watch out for the older stock on their website:

Those with this top ply graphic should be Clutch:

Older ones from PS Stix will have the top ply laser marking:

The newer ones just straight up state they are made at PS Stix:
https://pizzaskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/stencil-deck-8-0-8-25
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SlapMcKracken

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They did go to Clutch for a bit so watch out for the older stock on their website:

The ones I got (and ordered) are Ps.

ridethegutter

• Rep: 62
I love the ps stix pizza decks. I have only skated the shovel noses. Currently skating the 8.38.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The ones I got (and ordered) are Ps.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 304
Does anyone know who uses the BBS shape that is 8.38 x 14.25 x 31.95?

I got an Element board in those dimensions for cheap and it turned out to be nearly perfect for me. Curious what other brands use that exact shape.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857

I got an Element board in those dimensions for cheap and it turned out to be nearly perfect for me. Curious what other brands use that exact shape.

The exact shape? Maybe none. Element is (or at least was at one point) big enough that I'm pretty sure they have their own molds and shapes at BBS. They definitely have custom dims on some of them and I bought one of those MLB decks and it was a totally different shape than any other bbs I've had. Pretty flat and full. I doubt they're using off the shelf stuff.

Dlx has a couple 8.38s in that neighborhood dimension-wise. Krooked and real use it more than AH from what I can tell so maybe check their catalogs. The ishod twin tail shape is right around there but it's a twin tail so that might take some adjustment.

hiljentaa

Expand Quote

[close]

The exact shape? Maybe none. Element is (or at least was at one point) big enough that I'm pretty sure they have their own molds and shapes at BBS. They definitely have custom dims on some of them and I bought one of those MLB decks and it was a totally different shape than any other bbs I've had. Pretty flat and full. I doubt they're using off the shelf stuff.

Dlx has a couple 8.38s in that neighborhood dimension-wise. Krooked and real use it more than AH from what I can tell so maybe check their catalogs. The ishod twin tail shape is right around there but it's a twin tail so that might take some adjustment.

Element has two different shapes for each width, which makes it a bit more tricky. I was curious if that 8.38/14.25/31.95 was a generic BBS shape that other brands might use.

Because I am insane, I found the exact board I have on clearance and bought two more. Gonna try brimsons razor graphic removal on em. :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Element has two different shapes for each width, which makes it a bit more tricky. I was curious if that 8.38/14.25/31.95 was a generic BBS shape that other brands might use.

Because I am insane, I found the exact board I have on clearance and bought two more. Gonna try brimsons razor graphic removal on em. :)

Re razor blade graphic scrape:

It takes bit to get used to it, but works easily enough once you get the hang of it.

Even just start with the logo or brand names on it, if the graphic is not too bad, that is.

As to the shape, yes they have two versions of 8.38 BBS made boards as well one or more 8.38 China made boards, but in BBS the short one you got and the longer one, same as the DLX and other board 8.38 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb, which you wouldn't want (but is perfect for me).

Sometimes shops list them differently, but from what I have seen, they are bringing out the shorter one more so now than the longer one and have done it on a few different graphics now, so it might be here to stay.

Those Element boards here in AU are always on sale at up to 50% or more off from certain shops, so I feel like it is well worth the time it takes to scrape them back, just to get "two BBS blanks for the price of one pro board" when it is the shape I like.

I think Primitive 8.38 is near on those dimensions, but then Primitive have been known to be on up to three different woodshops - BBS from Mexico, one from USA and one from China, so take care there too.

There was one more brand that had similar dimensions, but right this minute I can't think of it - one of the shorter overall type board brands had one that someone got and didn't like how short it was, but it would work well for you.

hiljentaa

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Re razor blade graphic scrape:

It takes bit to get used to it, but works easily enough once you get the hang of it.

Even just start with the logo or brand names on it, if the graphic is not too bad, that is.

As to the shape, yes they have two versions of 8.38 BBS made boards as well one or more 8.38 China made boards, but in BBS the short one you got and the longer one, same as the DLX and other board 8.38 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb, which you wouldn't want (but is perfect for me).

Sometimes shops list them differently, but from what I have seen, they are bringing out the shorter one more so now than the longer one and have done it on a few different graphics now, so it might be here to stay.

Those Element boards here in AU are always on sale at up to 50% or more off from certain shops, so I feel like it is well worth the time it takes to scrape them back, just to get "two BBS blanks for the price of one pro board" when it is the shape I like.

I think Primitive 8.38 is near on those dimensions, but then Primitive have been known to be on up to three different woodshops - BBS from Mexico, one from USA and one from China, so take care there too.

There was one more brand that had similar dimensions, but right this minute I can't think of it - one of the shorter overall type board brands had one that someone got and didn't like how short it was, but it would work well for you.

Luckily this particular graphic isn't terrible. It's fun blanking and customizing stuff though. I like seam ripping logos off clothes or acetoning logos off hardgoods.

I saw that the Primitive 8.38 is very similar in dimensions, but it looks more full nose and tail. Good to know though. Have seen a few on clearance as well.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
DGK lenticulars are made in china and not bbs like the FA ones were.

BALLSACK_SKATEBOARDING

• Rep: -1
Anyone know what brands have similar shape/wheelbase to April? Been skating a few April decks and really like how they feel but i don't really love their graphics

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
Anyone know what brands have similar shape/wheelbase to April? Been skating a few April decks and really like how they feel but i don't really love their graphics

Primitive comes to mind

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
I was looking at Maxallure decks and was thinking of picking up one of these

https://maxallureskateboards.com/collections/boards/products/pixel-sf?variant=39595365105798

Anyone know dimensions for these (PGI)? I'm especially interested in 8.25-8.5

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.

https://maxallureskateboards.com/collections/boards/products/pixel-sf?variant=39595365105798

I had one and it was pretty standard for the 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

I had one and it was pretty standard for the 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25

That's perfect thanks!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Just deck / woodshop info
DGK lenticulars are made in china and not bbs like the FA ones were.

I wonder if it was more a case of logistics and whatever they had to do with those materials, so that was the better option or something else.  Keep the extra costs down by making them in China?

Had to google "lenticular" so how different is it to a normal graphic? 

You said the board was heavier, so thicker paint, or something more like those hologram decks, but not quite that far?

Curious and interested, either way.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

freedome 8.75
8.75/32/14.25wb

I noticed that those new boards are not PS Stix.

The Free Dome site says USA, so whether it is just for this specific Motorhead package or a change, anyone have any other info?

https://freedometoskate.com/collections/motorhead-collection/products/motorhead-8-75-lt-charcoal

8.75" Width x 32" Length x 14.25" Wheelbase

Officially Licensed Motorhead Geoff Rowley Pro Skateboard

7 Ply custom charcoal dyed veneers.

Dyed, not Dipped!

Made in the USA

finalist

• Rep: 6
Who makes my new Primitive Made in USA deck?
It's a Primitive 8.25 (Prod Knight deck - graphic has some chrome finish with rose art and a city scape and knight chess piece). The measurements are spot on the same as my April 8.25 BBS decks but the Primitive has a bit more steepness in the nose and tail kicks and maybe a tiny bit more concave as observed when both decks are stacked on each other. Also, the Primitive weighs 20 grams more at 1245g.The Primitve didn't have the BBS hologram sticker, fwiwi. From reading the made in the USA are either Pennswood or BBS - but how can BBS claim made in the USA?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
It's a Primitive 8.25 (Prod Knight deck - graphic has some chrome finish with rose art and a city scape and knight chess piece). The measurements are spot on the same as my April 8.25 BBS decks but the Primitive has a bit more steepness in the nose and tail kicks and maybe a tiny bit more concave as observed when both decks are stacked on each other. Also, the Primitive weighs 20 grams more at 1245g.The Primitve didn't have the BBS hologram sticker, fwiwi. From reading the made in the USA are either Pennswood or BBS - but how can BBS claim made in the USA?

If it's a Primitive and says Made in the USA, it almost has to be from Pennswood. According to the list, Primitive did some of its 2021 boards at Pennswood and some at BBS. Perhaps they're still doing some decks at Pennswood.

finalist

Expand Quote
[close]

If it's a Primitive and says Made in the USA, it almost has to be from Pennswood. According to the list, Primitive did some of its 2021 boards at Pennswood and some at BBS. Perhaps they're still doing some decks at Pennswood.

Two things though... this is a deck from Primitive's newest release just days ago - The Pennswood claim seems to be listed for 2021 decks. When surfing slap for info on this I found a post that claims some Made in the USA boards are BBS because BBS has an office or something in Socal??

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Two things though... this is a deck from Primitive's newest release just days ago - The Pennswood claim seems to be listed for 2021 decks. When surfing slap for info on this I found a post that claims some Made in the USA boards are BBS because BBS has an office or something in Socal??

I haven't heard about BBS doing any boards in SoCal, but that doesn't mean I'm right! Who knows these days. The last few years have seen a lot of shuffling and small runs at woodshops like Pennswood.

Be interesting to see if we get any resolution on this.

finalist

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I haven't heard about BBS doing any boards in SoCal, but that doesn't mean I'm right! Who knows these days. The last few years have seen a lot of shuffling and small runs at woodshops like Pennswood.

I messaged Pennswood and they said they didn't mfg the Primitive deck I have and suggested it could be Watson Laminate or maybe a new shop called Vital.

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I messaged Pennswood and they said they didn't mfg the Primitive deck I have and suggested it could be Watson Laminate or maybe a new shop called Vital.

The plot thickens!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

That is an interesting one.

Makes sense and now I have a new one to add to the list.

Thinking I have seen that logo before, but can't place it though.

https://www.instagram.com/vitalusaskateboards/

https://www.vitalusaskateboards.com/

First post is from December 2021, but almost no other info available there.

finalist

That is an interesting one.

Makes sense and now I have a new one to add to the list.

Thinking I have seen that logo before, but can't place it though.

https://www.instagram.com/vitalusaskateboards/

https://www.vitalusaskateboards.com/

First post is from December 2021, but almost no other info available there.

Do you know if Watson went out of biz? They haven’t updated their website for years in the sections I can see dates.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Do you know if Watson went out of biz? They haven’t updated their website for years in the sections I can see dates.

I don't really follow or catch up with much going on like that, but I think there was maybe a management or staff change so many things like the web site or social media might have been forgotten.

Last info was they were still making some boards but no where near as many as they used to, now buying in blanks to supply most of the cheaper generic market as well.

I could be wrong though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

From reading the made in the USA are either Pennswood or BBS - but how can BBS claim made in the USA?

Are they still the little black and white square or diamond shaped stickers on the Primitive decks, with the "MADE IN..." at the bottom in the smallest print possible?

I don't think BBS wood is being said to be USA, as all their own stuff has "Made in Mexico" stickers on them from BBS directly.

Just on the "Made in USA" thing, there are definitely brands out there who claim USA on their products, either directly putting USA stickers on their boards when clearly they are not, maybe putting heat transfers on in USA so claiming that they are USA made, or even some other process happening in USA that they justify that product as being made in USA, but there are only a handful of woodshops actually operating in the USA, maybe a few more now with pandemic easing and who knows what else going on, with more than anything production moved to cheaper places like Mexico or now increasingly to China.

Even for some big brands that have been using specific and well known woodshops for a long time, some of their boards are coming from China in increasing numbers too, but most of these do have "Made in China" stickers on them as well, that I have seen.

finalist

Expand Quote

[close]

I don't really follow or catch up with much going on like that, but I think there was maybe a management or staff change so many things like the web site or social media might have been forgotten.

Last info was they were still making some boards but no where near as many as they used to, now buying in blanks to supply most of the cheaper generic market as well.

I could be wrong though.

It had the diamond black and white sticker with made in USA in the lower corner.

The quality seems pretty good. The final spray coat of varnish is really rich looking on the sides — more deeper, thicker looking than bbs. The middle layer is a beautiful blue stain with blue bottom stain and grey top stain. I would guess it’s a quality group of laminates. It feels as stiff and solid as any deck I’ve tried. I’m skating it and a bbs april with the same trucks, wheels, bearings, grip and bolts and all feels pretty close. The April is a hair flatter all around but I can only tell because I have both right next to each other. Their measurements are both exactly the same. This whole started because I’m looking for the April 8.25 shape by other brands for ease of purchasing access.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:59:08 PM by finalist »