Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157426 times)

uri80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Manufacturers / Woodshops that DO NOT make their own boards but resell others list:

MSB Distribution (Barcelona, Spain)
https://www.msbdistribution.es
https://www.instagram.com/msbdistribution/

;)

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
Expand Quote
can anyone tell me some boards that would have the following

larger than 8.5, smaller than 9
32.5 or longer
wb under 14.5
[close]

So you are looking for fairly long boards, medium to short wheelbases with longer kicks?

I think there are quite a few in that category, but more than anything, if you drilled back the tail on some boards, I think you would have pretty much those dimensions.

Overly long boards usually have overly long wheelbases to match, sometimes with big kicks, but more often than not they have kicks that are more nomal, 6.5 to 6.6 tails and 7 or so noses.

A board with 32.5 length and shorter wheelbase is going to have 7.1 or more nose and 6.75 or more tail.

At first glance, without having to change anything, have you tried Alien Workshop 8.75 boards, 14.25 wb and long kicks with a fairly long overall length.  I have one here that almost feels too long and wide when compared to other similar width boards with longer wheelbases and maybe more proportionate dimensions, but that might be a good start anyway.

right on the money.  i need to grab one of the AWS decks, thanks dude!

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
Expand Quote

32.5 or longer
wb under 14.5
[close]

https://www.tactics.com/there/marbie-slow-song-85-marbie-custom-shape-skateboard-deck

the marbie shapes says 32.2 so its almost there.
Tactics.com can sort by width and wheelbase, but not length.

The 33x8.5 Quasi

Edit: 14.5 WB but with PS inconsistency could get lucky ha. I've skated these.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

32.5 or longer
wb under 14.5
[close]

https://www.tactics.com/there/marbie-slow-song-85-marbie-custom-shape-skateboard-deck

the marbie shapes says 32.2 so its almost there.
Tactics.com can sort by width and wheelbase, but not length.
[close]

The 33x8.5 Quasi

Edit: 14.5 WB but with PS inconsistency could get lucky ha. I've skated these.

Don’t forget PS measures surface length so it’s probably closer to ~32.6 relative to how other board companies measure. Still within the desired 32.5 and up length, but I thought it was worth noting.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
i skated the shorter 8.5 quasi almost exclusively when the proto came out, i forgot they even had the other shape.  good looks to everyone above who helped!

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
For anyone interested, and who may be a fan of South Central wood like I am.  Here is a (Square Tail) shape from them that Highwater Skateboards uses, figured I'd catalog it here.

Dims are 8.5" at the widest
              31.5" L
              8.375"  front truck
              8.125"  back truck
              14.25" WB
I was a little surprised when I got it as I was expecting more of their standard 8.5 popsicle shape with a squared tail but it's definitely more shaped and tapered than that, smaller too.  Anyway, I couldn't find much info on dims for it so figured I'd add it here now that I have it. 

Get hungry on it!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Such rad graphics too!

Thanks for posting.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

The latest batch of Habitat decks sold in EU have made in china stickers.

I saw that on latest Suciu Lone Wolf and Mosaic 20 Years twin decks.
Those decks seems bit wider than older BBS pressed Habitat twin decks, like they are 8.375x32.3 with 14.44wb (declared dimensions are 8.375x32.25 with 14.375wb), with very slight taper to square nose and tail, noses are still like 1-2 mm longer than tail (nose and tail are like 6.9-7 long), bit mellower kicks than on BBS pressed decks.

Older Habitat BBS pressed twin tail decks were 8.3x32.2 with 14.44 wb with straight full rails, square nose and tail are around 6.9. Deck dimensions are little bit shorter and narrower than stated on Habitat site (8.375x32.25 with 14.375wb, sometimes it was said that wb was 14.25).

Like old Stefan Janoski Place Setting series deck that comes with made in Mexico sticker was declared as 8.375x32.25 with 14.25wb, no mention of deck being symmetrical in descriptions and deck actual dimensions were 8.3x32.2 with 14.44wb and deck is twin shaped.

If you are able always try to check those decks in person because specs seems to be all over the place.

Copy / quote from the Twin tail thread.

Thanks for the info too.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Does anybody know who makes bold decks? Or what bold laminates is, in case they make it themselves?

This german shop sells their blank decks and those decks are actually really damn good.

https://www.skateshop24.de/skateboards/blank-decks/

There's a list with all specs if you click on any of them and scroll down

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
Does anybody know who makes bold decks? Or what bold laminates is, in case they make it themselves?

This german shop sells their blank decks and those decks are actually really damn good.

https://www.skateshop24.de/skateboards/blank-decks/

There's a list with all specs if you click on any of them and scroll down

It is an interesting one to try to find any info on so most likely they "branded" the blanks they get in to give them a bit more of a name as the same place gets in Moose, Control and others too.

They appear to be something similar to Dwindle, maybe Jeeping or more likely Excel woodshop, as they say from China and they are the main ones there, but I really don't know any more about them.

This looks like who brings them in, pretty much all the same info there too:

https://www.havoc-distribution.com/b2b/skateboard/blank-decks/bold-laminates/2441/bold-sp-blank-skateboard-deck-mid

Bold SP Blank Skateboard Deck Low
The blank decks from BOLD Laminates are high-quality skateboard decks made from 7 plies of Canadian maple.
This wood, also known as "Canadian maple" in English, has always been the most suitable wood for skateboards due to its stability and durability.
The boards from BOLD Laminates are individually pressed (single-press). This gives each board the perfect and always the same shape. The wood layers are cold-pressed with ultra-strong epoxy resin.
The slow drying of the adhesive without the addition of heat results in boards with an extremely powerful and, above all, long-lasting pop. As one of the largest woodshops in China, the skateboards from a number of well-known manufacturers from the USA are also produced here.
The boards come with 3 colored stained layers, top, middle and bottom. It looks really good and gives the boards a classy touch. The colors of the colored layers are randomly selected and cannot be selected individually.

7ply canadian maple
single pressed
cold-pressed
epoxy resin
3 stained layers
random colors
Low / mellow concave 10mm
Nose 22°
Tail 22°

« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 05:01:46 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I looked at an Alien board in a shop today, and the sticker on the shrink wrap said made in China. The board still felt like a BBS though.

I’m hoping this is just for team models.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I looked at an Alien board in a shop today, and the sticker on the shrink wrap said made in China. The board still felt like a BBS though.

I had seen some of the pricepoint boards were the cheaper looking wood made in China, but that was here in AU.

Where in the world are you, even just country?

Are they on the AWS site?

https://www.alienworkshop.com/

I think the few I saw were very basic / generic graphics and different even to the team boards from the web site, as they didn't have any on there that I thought were not BBS.

More like the boards that come as completes with those graphics too, but just the decks.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:29:27 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Funny that a lot of these came up in a search just now.

Not doubting they were the real deal, but I have seen an increase in a lot of this sort of thing, mainly in a few places that couldn't or wouldn't be able to get usual stock from legitimate skateboard brand wholesalers, but sometimes it is surprising where they turn up, not just the randoms on ebay or dodgy sellers online.

Fake Alien Workshop decks from Ali whatever...

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
It’s pretty fucked that you can’t trust some of these factories to not do deals on the side.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.

Got a pic on the made in china sticker?

Edit - good Intel on the fake Alien Workshop board, those haven't popped up on AliExpress on my region, lots of Baker, Plan B, Crailtap, Tum Yeto and Zero
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

switchfakie

i thought bbs was half china/ half mexico ? dont quote me on that

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Expand Quote

[close]

to my knowledge it's mexico only
DLX completes decks are china made though

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Edit - good Intel on the fake Alien Workshop board, those haven't popped up on AliExpress on my region, lots of Baker, Plan B, Crailtap, Tum Yeto and Zero

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Thanks for the pic, that looks like a legit AWS deck and sticker, the fakes from China can't be bothered with a barcode sticker.

The last team model I rode was an 8.5 with the laser top markings, any laser on yours?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Thanks for the pic, that looks like a legit AWS deck and sticker, the fakes from China can't be bothered with a barcode sticker.

The last team model I rode was an 8.5 with the laser top markings, any laser on yours?

I didn’t cop, but if I recall correctly, the deck did have the etching.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
to my knowledge it's mexico only
DLX completes decks are china made though

BBS woodshop is only the one location in Mexico, by all accounts.

Lots of companies that use BBS as their pro wood also use price point wood from China for their boards, or are even transitioning to China boards for everything for some countries / regions.

The list is quite long and includes Alien Workshop, Birdhouse, Element, DGK and more here in AU from what I can recall, or have seen.

As to completes for almost all companies now from what I have seen, the complete, deck and all are made in China and totally different to the quality of the pro decks that come out of which ever woodshops for them.

They still skate fine for beginners, but I wouldn't be putting anyone with above beginner ability on one and expect it to last that long.

Explaining this to the parent who brought back a specifiic "pro" brand deck whose kid snapped it in the first session was less than fun, but the parent got it in the end - buy a cheaper complete even with said logo of pro company on it for the same price as a pro deck so what would you expect to happen?

I still have some of those same completes that were used for skate lessons and they have lasted a long time, so for the right market they are really good, but the most unfortunate thing is when a board clearly has an eagle logo, or the BAKER bold logo, among others, people can be deceived and think they are getting something better than what it is.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
It’s pretty fucked that you can’t trust some of these factories to not do deals on the side.

Expand Quote

[close]

As Twist said, some of these might not even be "fake" boards but just their own overstock of what was ordered for whatever market, that also make it on to whatever platform like Ali x x x  as per that pic.

There were quite a few that I could see, different / team graphics mostly, but some specific older pro graphics too, so who knows.

That one as per the pic is or would be a legit deck, just curious where in the world you saw it?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As Twist said, some of these might not even be "fake" boards but just their own overstock of what was ordered for whatever market, that also make it on to whatever platform like Ali x x x  as per that pic.

There were quite a few that I could see, different / team graphics mostly, but some specific older pro graphics too, so who knows.

That one as per the pic is or would be a legit deck, just curious where in the world you saw it?

East Coast U.S.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
I dropped AWS insta a DM (like a man) to ask if they were still making boards with BBS.

The few I have at home still have the black and white made in Mexico sticker.  Primitive and Element use a combination of BBS and China boards, could have been stock that was sent for production in late 2021 / mid 2022 since the lead time between dealer catalog release and when those specific graphics go on sale is at least 3-6 months in advance.

Edit from AWS:
BBS - pro models from Habitat / Metal / AWS, Twin Tail
PS Stix - Austyn Gillette pro model with wheel wells
Logo decks - recent ones like the Logo Hex embossed are DSM, older ones before 2023 are BBS (my guess)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:41:44 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nacho Maildrop

I dropped AWS insta a DM (like a man) to ask if they were still making boards with BBS.

The few I have at home still have the black and white made in Mexico sticker.  Primitive and Element use a combination of BBS and China boards, could have been stock that was sent for production in late 2021 / mid 2022 since the lead time between dealer catalog release and when those specific graphics go on sale is at least 3-6 months in advance.

Edit from AWS:
Logo decks - recent ones like the Logo Hex embossed are DSM, older ones before 2023 are BBS (my guess)

IIRC the Thomas Morgan flag slick reissue was DSM as well.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

Edit from AWS:
[close]

This one? https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/morgan-flag-8-25

Looks like it has the black and white BBS Made in Mexico sticker
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nacho Maildrop

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit from AWS:
[close]

[close]

Nah, the reissue in the 90s shape:
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/morgan-flag-9-25

The pop is BBS, but the shaped slick didn't have any of the telltale BBS markings or stickers and looked/felt like a Santa Cruz ever slick. Guessing they had them made at DSM. No shrink so I couldn't see a made in china barcode.

Also I someone here was selling one a while back and outright said it was DSM.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
Had no idea JT Aultz works for BBS.

He breaks down some wood shop deets with the 9Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSftDo5xw28

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit from AWS:
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah, the reissue in the 90s shape:
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/morgan-flag-9-25

The pop is BBS, but the shaped slick didn't have any of the telltale BBS markings or stickers and looked/felt like a Santa Cruz ever slick. Guessing they had them made at DSM. No shrink so I couldn't see a made in china barcode.

Also I someone here was selling one a while back and outright said it was DSM.

I emailed AWS and asked about the Morgan reissue. They said it was China made. Hard pass for me.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
Just noticed the newest run of Zero is listed on their site as resin 7 , so I guess back to DSM. I think they bounce back and forth between BBS and China.