Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 165284 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2023 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc
« Reply #1170 on: September 11, 2023, 04:06:17 PM »
for people who have ridden the AH 8.5 eagle vs the 8.38-  is there a preference?  i hated the 8.5 shape, it felt slim and idk i just never adjusted properly.  but i feel like i recall people saying the 8.38 is a little fuller, and im curious if that would maybe be the better option for me

I have had a lot of experience with both, so hopefully this doesn't end up too long, but here goes.

To start with, the DLX shapes thread has a fair bit of info on this, but exactly where in there, I couldn't say right this minute, but I have put up info there before with various shapes including these two, as well as the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb and other Full SE shapes, which I won't go into in this post.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

As to my own view of the eagles, I definitely prefer the 8.38 to the 8.5 but I also like a longer board, longer wheelbase, so that is the main thing to start with.

On paper specs as follows:

8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb (blue eagle shape, for want of a better simple name)

8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb (army green eagle shape, or maybe the most common shape more recently, also called "Dreamer" shape)

Actual measurements vary, but the main thing is the 8.5 is nowhere near 8.5 wide - more like 8.4 or even 8.3 and tapers significantly from front to back being closer to 8.25 at the back bolts, whereas the 8.38 is a hair off a real 8.5 so is actually wider and longer with the width staying true right the way through the board from front bolts to back bolts, but is also a little more pointy in the kicks than the 8.5 which is a bit more rounded up front, without saying it is squared off or anything like that.

Just to throw another shape in the mix, the more normal 8.5 DLX shape which seems to be making a comeback is definitely 8.5 wide, 32.18 / 32.2 or so long with 14.38 wheelbase and although straight through the middle, it tapers off in the kicks from bolts area, which some people don't like, even calling it a weird shape, but it still works and the kicks are a little longer than the other two boards above.

I have had quite a few of these as well, but there is something about the 14.5 wb that I prefer, even though I feel like the 8.38 is a little short in the tail for what I usually skate, transition and ramp, along with more simple street stuff, but it works well and is a bit more nimble feeling than the other 8.5 boards that are actually 8.5 wide.

Hopefully that makes sense, without being too crazy about the specific shapes.

Some people really like the blue eagle shape, but I would say that is more a smaller 8.3 sized board than an 8.5, if you really want to compare it to other boards out there, which is also why some people are not into it, if they do like a true 8.5 wide board.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

shawngreg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2023 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc
« Reply #1171 on: September 11, 2023, 04:30:40 PM »
always helpful my man, and exactly the info i was looking for.  thank you!

shotvx

• Rep: 4
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2022 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc
« Reply #1172 on: September 23, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »
Does anyone has some info about Censorship Skateboards ?
It's Roberto Alemañ's brand out of Spain.
I wonder where the decks are being made.
Edit: I found a shop were it says "made in Spain" so it's hlc I guess ?

Not HLC. Working with Excell, same factory as Crailtap, Tum Yeto or NHS.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1173 on: September 24, 2023, 12:20:43 AM »
Anyone measured/have the dimensions of Bones flat washers?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1174 on: September 24, 2023, 03:58:07 PM »
Anyone measured/have the dimensions of Bones flat washers?

Not sure if you meant to put this in another thread, but I am happy to answer anyway.

Bones washers, as per one I have here is just over 18 mm wide, just over 9 mm inner hole, just under 1 mm thick.

The comparable washers from hardware stores I have bought seem barely half as solid and were bending very quickly, but you might still find something similar that works well enough, if you prefer flat washers on your trucks.

Hope that helps.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1175 on: September 25, 2023, 11:57:15 AM »
Anyone know roughly what the difference is between how PS measures their boards vs everyone else? Ex would a 32" labeled PS deck actually be closer to 31.5-31.6 if you measured it straight across?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #1176 on: September 25, 2023, 12:04:06 PM »
Anyone know roughly what the difference is between how PS measures their boards vs everyone else? Ex would a 32" labeled PS deck actually be closer to 31.5-31.6 if you measured it straight across?

Edit: apologies. I think you were asking for a conversion rate. I’m. It totally sure but seems like maybe a 1/4-1/2” different depending on the deck.

PS measures width and wheelbase the same as everyone. For length, they measure with a soft tape measure whereas most measure straight across in the air from tip to tip. So PS length measurements are always a bit longer than what they would be for other brands, even if the decks are the same length.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #1177 on: September 25, 2023, 04:04:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit: apologies. I think you were asking for a conversion rate. I’m. It totally sure but seems like maybe a 1/4-1/2” different depending on the deck.

PS measures width and wheelbase the same as everyone. For length, they measure with a soft tape measure whereas most measure straight across in the air from tip to tip. So PS length measurements are always a bit longer than what they would be for other brands, even if the decks are the same length.

Yes that is correct.

Most woodshops / brands measure from tip to tip straight across, whereas PS measure with the concave, so a comparable board will be 32.2 long on the PS measurement but closer to 31.8 with the straight across measurement, when checking a few boards I had here.

Other sizes are more like this:

PS 31.5 = 31.2 tip (Habitat 7.8" deck)

PS 32 = 31.7 tip (Element 8.1" deck)

PS 32.25 = 31.85 / 31.88 (Element 8.375 and Alien Workshop 8.5 decks)

PS 32.5 = 32.2 (Quasi 8.75 deck)

Note even some stated measurements were not quite accurate, one laser engraved on the board actually had different measurements, but it was shorter in both length and wheelbase, but it was an older board too.

Hope that helps.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #1178 on: September 25, 2023, 09:06:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes that is correct.

Most woodshops / brands measure from tip to tip straight across, whereas PS measure with the concave, so a comparable board will be 32.2 long on the PS measurement but closer to 31.8 with the straight across measurement, when checking a few boards I had here.

Note even some stated measurements were not quite accurate, one laser engraved on the board actually had different measurements, but it was shorter in both length and wheelbase, but it was an older board too.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful thank you both!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1179 on: September 26, 2023, 03:37:04 PM »
Watson Laminates closing?

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #1180 on: September 26, 2023, 03:41:55 PM »
Watson Laminates closing?

Wow!

From 1975 to 2023...

I wonder how much the redistribution of boards from China, compared to making their own boards, had anything to do with it.

They had both going on for a while, I think I read but the increasing costs of making boards there was putting them in a difficult position, compared to just buying in boards from elsewhere, be it Mexico, China or where ever.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #1181 on: September 26, 2023, 03:57:31 PM »
Yeah, SMA used to use Watson and has recently turned over manufacturing to Madrid. New Natas decks coming soon.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1182 on: September 27, 2023, 05:59:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes that is correct.

Hope that helps.
[close]

Very helpful thank you both!

So PSstix measures by the volume of the board, same as  the width. Makes sense

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1183 on: September 28, 2023, 04:16:10 AM »
Interesting that Primitive makes boards in Mexico, China and USA.
We know that Mexico= BBS, China no clue but the one I'm skating now is doing pretty damn good and what about USA?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1184 on: September 28, 2023, 04:13:45 PM »
Interesting that Primitive makes boards in Mexico, China and USA.
We know that Mexico= BBS, China no clue but the one I'm skating now is doing pretty damn good and what about USA?

I think that was a limited run and there wasn't a repeat on that lot, but they definitely still have the BBS boards from Mexico and the Excel or similar from China now.

People had talked about it on here, often with some dislike for the wood, so I will leave it at that and not go into it, especially as I never saw them and don't know any more about it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1185 on: September 29, 2023, 07:14:13 AM »
I had a look at a Limosine 8.25 deck and I really like the sound of those specs. Guessing Limosine uses BBS decks. Is there any other company that uses that exact shape? Limosine is kinda hard to get and expensive here in Germany.

WIDTH:                8.25
LENGTH:             31.82
WHEELBASE:     14.13
NOSE:                   6.9
TAIL:                     6.56

I copied the specs from Tactics, so I am not too sure how accurate they are. But if they are like Tactics say, the sound pretty great. I put a link here.
https://www.tactics.com/limosine/snake-pit-825-slick-skateboard-deck

Magenta decks are kinda similar from the specs and I really like the 8.25 of them.
IG: @flowterspace

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1186 on: September 29, 2023, 12:00:41 PM »
I had a look at a Limosine 8.25 deck and I really like the sound of those specs. Guessing Limosine uses BBS decks. Is there any other company that uses that exact shape? Limosine is kinda hard to get and expensive here in Germany.

I copied the specs from Tactics, so I am not too sure how accurate they are. But if they are like Tactics say, the sound pretty great. I put a link here.

Magenta decks are kinda similar from the specs and I really like the 8.25 of them.

Slam City in the UK have loads of Limo decks and delivery is pretty cheap into Europe.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1187 on: September 29, 2023, 02:06:27 PM »
Saw a lot of the new Quasi drop in person today. Nothing notable. Still using both BBS and PS. One minor detail to report is that the team boards are now BBS. They have always been PS. I’ve gotten the 8.75 every drop over the last couple years and it’s always been PS. Will be interesting to ride the BBS version and compare!

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #1188 on: September 30, 2023, 07:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Slam City in the UK have loads of Limo decks and delivery is pretty cheap into Europe.

UK being outside the EU nowadays means that ordering from there results in import taxes, sadly.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #1189 on: September 30, 2023, 12:44:28 PM »
Cross post from the Quasi thread but I thought it was relevant since it involves wood shops.

+++

First measurement is the BBS Quasi 8.75 and the second is the same model but the PS version from the last drop. The BBS board kicks are definitely steeper, but my sample size is too small to make any claims. Honestly both feel about the same, but I just hit some curbs and a DIY.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
Hey i dunno if this has been asked is DLX price point worth it or just get some DLX promodels that's on sale

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
Cross post from the Quasi thread but I thought it was relevant since it involves wood shops.

+++

First measurement is the BBS Quasi 8.75 and the second is the same model but the PS version from the last drop. The BBS board kicks are definitely steeper, but my sample size is too small to make any claims. Honestly both feel about the same, but I just hit some curbs and a DIY.

No sample size error there dude, it's long been established that BBS kicks are some of the steepest out there. I've even seen some a fair bit steeper than yours. There's a reason the old dudes like me will dig through a pile of dlx boards looking for the IVs...the only way I can skate them is if they're bottom of the stack and even then I usually don't like them until they flatten out a little.

PS shapes on the other hand tend to have a mellow tail and steepish nose, but they have more variation in their molds...there's the toy machine mellow which is just a plank with a hint of kicks all the way up to the old FA mold and some of the original wknd ones that were steep as fuck. I think snack might still run the steep and square FA shape but it's been a minute since I've seen one to compare them.

Just generally speaking bbs is steep and stiff, PS is mellow and springy. Which one you prefer typically depends on the type of skating you do.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Expand Quote

+++

[close]

No sample size error there dude, it's long been established that BBS kicks are some of the steepest out there. I've even seen some a fair bit steeper than yours. There's a reason the old dudes like me will dig through a pile of dlx boards looking for the IVs...the only way I can skate them is if they're bottom of the stack and even then I usually don't like them until they flatten out a little.

PS shapes on the other hand tend to have a mellow tail and steepish nose, but they have more variation in their molds...there's the toy machine mellow which is just a plank with a hint of kicks all the way up to the old FA mold and some of the original wknd ones that were steep as fuck. I think snack might still run the steep and square FA shape but it's been a minute since I've seen one to compare them.

Just generally speaking bbs is steep and stiff, PS is mellow and springy. Which one you prefer typically depends on the type of skating you do.

i appreciate your thoughts on this stuff.

i like dlx and am hopeful that the chinese produced boards mellow.

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote

+++

[close]

Totally agree with everything you said. That's been my experience as well.

I was mostly curious because Quasi only makes one version of the 8.75" and I wanted to see the variance. But, I also wanted to acknowledge that it could have also been a difference between a I and a IV in the stack. But I since Quasi doesn't have BBS mark it's board the way DLX does, it's impossible to tell.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Hey i dunno if this has been asked is DLX price point worth it or just get some DLX promodels that's on sale

A lot of info is out there, but it is often harder to find unless you have the right words, specifically no gap between price and point, more so for things posted, but the DLX thread also has some more info I put up, maybe more so than what I had posted in a woodshop thread before, or at least that is what came up from a search.

DLX Thread link to post here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3844087;topicseen#msg3844087

* Thought it best not to repost the whole thing, but at least everything is there.

Simply speaking though, any pricepoint product is a step down from the pro boards, so if you never break boards and just retire them from old age or when you are sick of them, you shouldn't have any problems, but if you may have a few heavy landings or tend to break boards more frequently, then a pricepoint board can be done in minutes, as per a few I have seen from people over the years.

I still have a few going without issue, funnily enough, but I can feel how flexy they are now, compared to any other DLX pro wood board, which is stiffer and lasts longer, by comparison.

Hope that helps and check that link to the DLX thread for a full run down.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Anyone ride the Theories decks since they have been on Clutch?  Trying to figure out how the shape is.  Are they mellow?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
decided to make a list of brands that I actually give a shit about and delete the rest.

Wanted to see if anyone can clarify a few things:
1. are all AWS / habitat boards by BBS now?
2. are all Alltimers boards by BBS now?
3. Birdhouse?
4.What is the deal with Foundation and Toy Machine?  says Pro Boards PS Stix but they also use BBS?
5. are King and Violet really done by both PS Stix and BBS? First I have heard of this
6. Are Tired + skate menetal done by both still?

I deleted stuff like Hockey from PS STix because it has been so long since they were on PS anyway and seems like they are not going back. so trying to make the list more clear for normal human beings. If there is anything people know that PS or BBS is not making any more please let me know!

BBS(bareback/generator):

Alien Workshop*
Alltimers*
Antihero
April
Atlantic Drift
Baker
Birdhouse*
Black Label
Deathwish
DGK*
Doom Sayers*
Foundation*
Fucking Awesome
Frog*
Grimple Stix (Antihero)
GX1000* (Still Also uses PS Stix)
Habitat*
Heroin
Hockey*
Huf*
Isle*
King* 2023
Krooked
Limosine
Magenta
Metal Skateboards
Pass-Port
Polar
Primitive*
Quasi* (still also uses PS Stix)
Real
Sci Fi Fantasy
Sk8Mafia*
Skate Mental*
Supreme*
There
Tired*
Toy Machine*
Uma Landsleds*
Violet*
Welcome*
Zero*

P.S. Stix:
Braille
Chico Stix* 2023
Disorder*
Element*
Flip* (US)
Foundation* (pro models)
GX1000*
King*
Plan B* (USA) -2020
Quasi* 2022+
Skate Mental*
Thank You* -2020
Tired*
Toy Machine* 2022 (Pro boards)
Violet*
Welcome* (USA) -2020
WKND
Worble*

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
Anyone ride the Theories decks since they have been on Clutch?  Trying to figure out how the shape is.  Are they mellow?

I have the same question. Are all Theories, Traffic and Hopps deck not from BBS anymore?
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
decided to make a list of brands that I actually give a shit about and delete the rest.

1. are all AWS / habitat boards by BBS now?
2. are all Alltimers boards by BBS now?

AWS / Habitat use a combination of BBS and China for decks, depending on where the distributor / shops place their orders. This applies to both their team and pro model decks. All of them have laser engraved top markings, BBS ones come with their signature black / white and hologram sticker., China ones have a silver foil sticker on the graphic.

I've ridden both BBS and the China decks for a while and they feel identical. The BBS ones have a slightly fuller nose / tail, but you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were really looking out for it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 08:53:48 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
that's cool to see you see no difference, sorry for the dumb question but where in China are they done?  Dailan? 

My advice Rawb would be look/ask for the top sticker....