Author Topic: Best Canadian cities for street skating and low cost of living  (Read 2004 times)

yungthug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
Re: Best Canadian cities for street skating and low cost of living
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2022, 09:31:43 PM »
Chiming in from your neighbor down south to say the Canadian skate scene seems sick and I wanna visit MTL and Toronto in the summer!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2022, 02:55:32 PM »
Has anyone lived out east? What are the eastern provinces like? Is the cheap housing off-set by high cost groceries and near Quebec level taxes (I don't mind pitching in but Quebec fucking reams my non-married non-kid producing self and their healthcare is crummy for such an important province)? @Coastal Fever what made Halifax so expensive?

I don't know what I want in terms of skating and life, but I know sharing walls on all sides of my apartment in Vancouver, Toronto, or MTL is not going to cut it forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oJBDr31A4
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 03:19:10 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2022, 03:08:07 PM »
Headed to Montreal in mid-July. Super pumped. Where are the best curb spots? Some of the parks look really fun. I got a cheap airbnb in Mile's End.
ok thanks

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2022, 04:04:50 PM »
^^ ^^Mile End Park is super fun and the locals are pretty cool.

Rosemont is not far, but, in my opinion, lamest locals in MTL. I don't think I've ever had fun there.

The Pointe-aux-Trembles park is often empty, but it is a hassle to get up there.
The parks in the suburbs south of the island are super fun, but very suburban.
The Verdun park is fun as well. Everything there is small and its gets insanely crowded, but it can be fun.
Quebec City's park is awesome and there a few parks along the way up there that are fun as well.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2022, 06:08:19 PM »

Rosemont is not far, but, in my opinion, lamest locals in MTL. I don't think I've ever had fun there.

The Pointe-aux-Trembles park is often empty, but it is a hassle to get up there.
The Verdun park is fun as well. Everything there is small and its gets insanely crowded, but it can be fun.
Quebec City's park is awesome and there a few parks along the way up there that are fun as well.

Mile End is also known as Van Horne?

Cant get up to QC on this trip sadly.
ok thanks

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2022, 07:14:52 PM »
Has anyone lived out east? What are the eastern provinces like? Is the cheap housing off-set by high cost groceries and near Quebec level taxes (I don't mind pitching in but Quebec fucking reams my non-married non-kid producing self and their healthcare is crummy for such an important province)? @Coastal Fever what made Halifax so expensive?

I don't know what I want in terms of skating and life, but I know sharing walls on all sides of my apartment in Vancouver, Toronto, or MTL is not going to cut it forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oJBDr31A4

Halifax was booming before Covid and has been way more since.  NS was a safe zone with affordable housing so people flocked here.  Definitely still cheaper to buy/rent here than the GTA, but it’s creeping up fast.  A decent 1bdr is prob $1500/month all in, and small houses, semis even, are going for 400k+, sometimes up to 200k over asking.  Taxes are high, food, booze and utilities are high, wages are low compared to bigger cities..

Skate wise there’s a few good parks around, and some street spots to be found if you’re willing to explore.  The scene seems to be doing fine, though I’m pretty removed from it now.  There’s endless natural beauty and fresh ocean air which is nice.  It might not be fast paced enough for someone who considers themselves a “city person”, but I like the slower pace.

frankiesomethin

• Rep: 19
    • SkateVideoSite avatar image
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2022, 01:12:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mile End is also known as Van Horne?

Cant get up to QC on this trip sadly.

Yeah, the skatepark below the viaduct in the Mile End neighborhood is called Van Horne (Van Horne is the street overhead). The park in Rosemont is pretty close by at Père Marquette high school. Both those parks are always mobbed with people during the day/evening. There's also the Projet 45 DIY on Papineau, a relatively new skatepark in St-Leonard, the Vans park at the Olympic Stadium (where The Big O is) and the Honoré-Mercier park opened last year. There's a bunch of pre-fab parks usually built on shitty asphalt scattered all over the place too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 01:19:18 PM by frankiesomethin »
DM me if you wanna help us out over at SkateVideoSite.com

Clemskiba

• Rep: 50
  • almost canadian
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
got to agree - i started skating again after a long time last year and the first spot i hit was van horne

locals over there are pretty nice and a lot of the members from dime team also skate there

the only problem is that it can get pretty crowded pretty fast but it's really a great park and i can't wait to go back this year

i live just next to the père marquette park and it's actually ultra packed with teenagers as there is a secondary school is just next to the skatepark - it's also usually flooded with scooter kids

but yeah, montréal is a great city - been living here for more that seven years now and i wouldn't want to live anywhere else

the main problem right now is that housing is getting ridiculously expensive, there are some neighbourhoods in the city where rent has increased twice in a matter of a couple years, shit is super fucked

oh yeah also the new vans skatepark that is just next to the stade olympique is really nice, you should go there if you got time!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 08:20:52 PM by Clemskiba »

We're all posting on a message board in 2022. We're all losers.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2022, 06:29:06 AM »
got to agree - i started skating again after a long time last year and the first spot i hit was van horne

locals over there are pretty nice and a lot of the members from dime team also skate there

the only problem is that it can get pretty crowded pretty fast but it's really a great park and i can't wait to go back this year

i live just next to the père marquette park and it's actually ultra packed with teenagers as there is a secondary school is just next to the skatepark - it's also usually flooded with scooter kids

but yeah, montréal is a great city - been living here for more that seven years now and i wouldn't want to live anywhere else

the main problem right now is that housing is getting ridiculously expensive, there are some neighbourhoods in the city where rent has increased twice in a matter of a couple years, shit is super fucked

oh yeah also the new vans skatepark that is just next to the stade olympique is really nice, you should go there if you got time!
This seems to be a Canada-wide problem when it comes to the three major cities. Toronto and Van I believe are 2 of the most expensive places in North America on a per-square foot basis behind only places like Manhatten and SF. Montreal isn't cheap, but even with the taxes and increased housing, its significantly more affordable than Toronto and Vancouver.