Author Topic: Classical Music  (Read 191 times)

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Classical Music
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:38:04 AM »
Aiden Mackey's new part has got me back to listening to Leftover Crack which in turn has gotten me interested in finding some classical music. Yes, it's a weird path to take to arrive here, but it is what it is, and I've found slappers have a wide breadth of interests and knowledge, so I'm interested to hear some opinions.

So, for those curious and unfamiliar, this is the Leftover Crack song:

Which has a version of this:

Specifically what I'm interested in are pieces (and specific recordings) that would fit nicely into a playlist with some metal or some post rock or mellow electronic music, if that makes sense. Something sombre, nothing too bombastic, nothing like the William Tell Overture for example.

The only music I've actually ever sat and listened to by choice that MIGHT even be considered classical music is Ennio Morricone. I got hooked on his music through The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and have listened to a good portion of it since then. My favorite piece from that soundtrack is The Carriage of The Spirits, which is something I will regularly put into playlists with metal. It has that sad, depressing, vibe that I'm after.

I never really tried to get into classical music before, because in my mind it was always weird to hear music, but to never be able to hear it from the original artist. Like, ok, Mozart wrote his music down and there are plenty of amazing conductors and musicians who have played it as written, but that's like saying a Green Day cover of a Clash song is the same. The notes are the same, the timing is the same, Billy Joe's haircut is the same as Joe Strummer's, but the 2 versions of the same song would certainly not sound the same. I will never hear Mozart play his music as intended, so how do I know it's correct? This always left me mentally blocked by looking for what is the "best" recording/performance of a particular piece of music and it became exhausting and I give up. Yes, this is some OCD autism style thinking, but that's my problem, I can't seem to get past it. But I'm ready to try.

Anyone listening to classical music? Maybe at work to not offend coworkers? Or maybe to mellow out by the fire with a glass of cognac in the evening? Or maybe someone on here plays in an orchestra? You never know...

Yes, there is an old thread, but didn't want to resurrect it, rather, start fresh.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=15954.0