Author Topic: Blackmagic 6k Pro  (Read 892 times)

GoHawrd33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • Go hawrd, or don't.
Blackmagic 6k Pro
« on: February 04, 2022, 03:48:31 PM »
This camera hasn't been mentioned on here, but it seems like an awesome HD option.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1625642-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecampochdef6kp_pocket_cinema_camera_6k.html/overview

Especially considering it can be paired with Canon L lenses (EF Mount) -- you can have an amazing fisheye setup for about half the cost of a Century Xtreme fisheye alone. This leaves plenty of bread on the table for a nice Canon L (EF Mount) long lens as well...

Lenses I am looking at:
Canon EF 8-15mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732107-GREY/Canon_4427B002_EF_8_15mm_f_4L_Fisheye.html
Canon EF 24-105mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274709-REG/canon_ef_24_105mm_f_4l_is.html

NOTE: Although the camera does not offer continuous autofocus, it does offer single point autofocus, plus you can just set the focus to infinity on a higher F stop and not have to worry about it, right?

Anyone have any experience with using this camera paired with Canon glass? A 6k camera plus two amazing lenses for a price point lower than the Century Xtreme ALONE seems like it should be the new standard...

Other than skate filmers being stubborn and super traditional in terms of SD and HD setups (vx1mk1, or hpx170 century extreme) what reasons are there NOT to go with a setup like this? I must be missing something because it seems like a no brainer at this point yet I can't find any footage of the Blackmagic 6k pro paired with the Canon L fisheye.

lydius

• Rep: 40
Re: Blackmagic 6k Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 10:15:23 AM »
Blackmagic batteries are notoriously bad/short-lived, so I'd get a few backups.

On paper it sounds awesome. But it is kinda overkill to shoot at 6k when most people are gonna be streaming it at 1080 max. Also the build quality on BM has never impressed me too much, they look very plastic. On the other hand, something like a GH5 has more metal on it and some weatherproofing.

The other drawback is of course, the lack of motorized zoom. Sure, there's an attachment for it but it costs an arm and a leg. So, get used to mastering the art of the tripod for long lens shots. Fluid head is the way to go.

barreldistortion

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:45:41 AM »
Kinda just depends what you're using it for. Are you just filming skateboarding or working on other short film projects/shoots? I own a GH5 and it's great for skateboarding/other random stuff- and if you work with coloring grading it can look pretty film-like. The Blackmagic looks great and is a cinema camera, but I haven't really come across someone that uses it just for skateboarding. Maybe someone out there has?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »
the specs of the blackmagic are way more impressive than it actually is to use. you need a lot of support for it. cages, external battery solutions, external ssd (media for it is damn expensive), and the ergonomics of using manual lenses for skateboarding isn't worth it for run and gun. camcorders will always be the go to for skating because its grab and go. you can get power zoom lenses for sony cameras but it still has the downfalls of being a photo camera. only jump into the blackmagic ecosystem if the image is what you desire and you love using davinci resolve. you'll be spending more than the price of the camera on accessories for it not to be annoying to use.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 10:09:35 PM »
It's a great camera. However any Black Magic has always seemed like more of a cinema camera to me. My friend shot this skate edit on one but he definitely wasn't going for the traditional skate video vibe. Still really nice though.
https://vimeo.com/634548460

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
Thank you
Loved every second.

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 12:48:57 PM »
If you're looking to invest in a Blackmagic setup for filming skateboarding, I would look into the Ursa Mini 4k – it's got a great form factor and a global shutter like the VX and HPX, and it's available in B4 mount so you can use cheap HD zoom lenses from last-gen TV cameras.

Also the B4 mount version is compatible with the Abakus Stadium Lens, the predecessor to the xtreme – it's a beaut

the dream setup tbh