Author Topic: MK1 Vx1000 Bayonet Mount Dimensions  (Read 849 times)

lckates

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
MK1 Vx1000 Bayonet Mount Dimensions
« on: February 04, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »
Hey all! A bit of a left field question here to do with making MK1 bayorings if anyone was interested in helping us out.

Quite a few years ago I switched my original MK1 bayoring for one that fits VX2000s which I got from Bayorings.com (seemingly now redundant/inactive as hell). Through a combination of a lack of use and moving house multiple times, I seem to have lost my original MK1 bayoring which is very frustrating because I just got a VX1000 again which I would obviously like to put my MK1 on.

This particular part I have been having a lot of dramas trying to source.
I am aware of the new product recently made available on Instagram which enables you to screw the MK1 on multiple different cameras but I would ideally prefer to stick to the original bayoring because there isn't really any information/reviews on this new product.

My good friend who I skate with and plan to film lots with is a machinist and we are planning to make our own ring for the camera. Because my VX1000 is still in transit, I won't be able to get a measurement of the bayonet mount for a few weeks and would ideally like to get things in motion.

To sum it all up, has anyone got any experience making their own bayorings and able to provide the necessary dimensions of a VX1000 bayoring, or, able to provide any details that would assist us in making our own..? I believe we will be needing the internal bore diameter and thread pitch alongside dimensions of the bayonet cut-outs. Surely there is a diagram out there somewhere. I'm praying that somebody previously involved in making aftermarket bayorings can read this and provide assistance because I know people have done this.

Not expecting any responses to this but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

pj chad

• Rep: 7
Re: MK1 Vx1000 Bayonet Mount Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 06:50:10 PM »
Don’t get me wrong, if you and your friend are able to easily make your own custom bayoring with little to no hassle, then that sounds awesome. Hell, make some extra and sell them!

If it’s going to be a hassle with getting the extra measurements, determining the best thickness, and having to make multiple ones before you finally get a perfectly finished product, why not just DM all of the Instagram resellers and see if they have one to sell you? I would imagine it being $100-$150.

I’ve personally never seen the bayo side measurements of the bayoring posted anywhere. The only thing I can tell you, is that the mm thread on the MK1 is 75mm when the bayoring is removed. One of my previous posts has a picture I posted with a digital caliper measuring it.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes either way!

lckates

• Rep: 0
Re: MK1 Vx1000 Bayonet Mount Dimensions
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
Hey mate, thanks so much for your reply!

I've messaged heaps already and with no luck, alongside living in AUS which makes things a little bit harder. I hit up a few VX filmers I knew to see if they had any junk MK1's that I could nab the ring off but no luck either. Never thought it would be so hard!

I found this ebay listing which inspired me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304339143376?hash=item46dc06cad0:g:7BAAAOSwiIth9r1W

In the description, the seller notes:
"Century Optics Mk1 Fisheye with Custom made Bayo Mount ring (this lens does not have the original bayo ring. This custom bayo ring fits a Sony HVR-v1u 1080 HD camera. Ring was custom made 10 years ago for $100 by a local machinist. Find a good machinist in your area and you could do the same for whatever camera you need it for. Replica rings are also online when available for a similar price.)"

It dawned on me at this point that my good homie that I'm gonna be filming with also happens to be a machinist. I've done enough digging and DMing that this seems like a pretty good option. I think as long as we have the VX and MK1 my homie should be able to figure out the rest from there. I did see your photo you posted with the caliper which has already been a massive help so thanks for that homie!

Just wanted to reach out to see if anybody else has done this.. Alternatively, if someone has any junk MK1's/original bayorings they don't need I'm in the market! Haha