Author Topic: new chocolate vid "bunny hop"  (Read 44674 times)

RoaryMcTwang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
Re: new chocolate vid "bunny hop"
« Reply #480 on: December 26, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »
Adam Dyet just posted a kickflip backtail down the Hollywood high 12 that is from years ago on his Instagram, and I’m trying to think of a every single trick in this video that is better than that. Damn getting beat out by Adam Dyet.

Fixed.

I liked the video. Clean, stylish skating which isn't overly concerned with adding another stair or another 180 to what someone else has done, that's what I hope for from Chocolate. Glad they haven't started following trends but continue to stay in their lane.

VA last part was the only major slip-up for me, I could have done with half the number of half-cab noseslide shuvs. But then I can just turn it off after Carl in the future.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #481 on: December 26, 2021, 09:45:41 PM »
Kenny Anderson really got the pass huh?

Dude, for real

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #482 on: December 26, 2021, 10:52:11 PM »
Feel like I'm in the minority here but I like Capps.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #483 on: December 27, 2021, 06:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Adam Dyet just posted a kickflip backtail down the Hollywood high 12 that is from years ago on his Instagram, and I’m trying to think of a single trick in this video that is better than that. Damn getting beat out by Adam Dyet.
[close]

Damn following Adam Dyet.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #484 on: December 27, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »

I like him too, he’s not amazing but he’s not Brophy either.

Shred Nugent

• Rep: 6
« Reply #485 on: December 27, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
I really enjoyed the video, the intro was great!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #486 on: December 27, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like him too, he’s not amazing but he’s not Brophy either.

I liked his part.   Surprised he was turned pro before this as I hadn’t really seen much or considered him before this

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #487 on: December 27, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »
30min mark of video, Loling because it's classic, got some nice board control in this vid I love it, s/o Hot Chocolate tour
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #488 on: December 28, 2021, 06:20:55 AM »
Carl should've had last part. Holy shit, style is so smooth.

Great vid overall.

It's been said before, but could've done without so much VA, and last part seemed out of place. Ever since someone referred to him as 'vertically challenged' I can't not think that about most of his clips.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #489 on: December 28, 2021, 06:58:15 AM »
Weird to see the tides change around here regarding Vincent Alvarez's skating.

My two cents: if you go back through this thread and read defenders' rationalizations for liking VA's skating, a lot of them can read as backhanded compliments or aren't even really related to his skateboarding, e.g. people claiming that being loyal to his sponsors makes watching his skating better.

As far as Palmer/Alvarez comparisons, one is on one of the most prestigious legacy brands in skateboarding with it's own art/accounting/video departments and the other one rides for his homie's company operating out of an apartment in NYC.

Reeeeeeaaaacccchhhhhhh

LebowskisRug

« Reply #490 on: December 28, 2021, 07:05:51 AM »
That came from me because I saw them do a few of the same tricks. It’s definitely reaching. My point was lost but basically that I felt people were hating unnecessarily on VA’s skill and approach rather than saying “it’s not for me anymore”, but Slap operates on obsessions as if they’re consensus and Max fans are really devoted.

Last part? I dunno, not my call. I don’t think it matters as much anymore with how often videos come out. He put in a ton of work and it coulda been edited down a bit better, but I don’t regret watching it and didn’t find it downright bad. I think both he and Max really maximize their own specific style to a point where I can expect the types of spots and tricks their videos will contain.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #491 on: December 28, 2021, 09:45:01 AM »
Last part? I dunno, not my call. I don’t think it matters as much anymore with how often videos come out. He put in a ton of work and it coulda been edited down a bit better, but I don’t regret watching it and didn’t find it downright bad. I think both he and Max really maximize their own specific style to a point where I can expect the types of spots and tricks their videos will contain.
You kinda made my point for me right there lol. That shouldn't be the takeaway after watching the last part in an anticipated full-length video from a brand that has had so many amazing riders and videos over the years. Or any part in said video.

At the end of the day it's all skateboarding and none of this means anything at all BTW haha. Not trying to come at anyone.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #492 on: December 28, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »
That came from me because I saw them do a few of the same tricks. It’s definitely reaching. My point was lost but basically that I felt people were hating unnecessarily on VA’s skill and approach rather than saying “it’s not for me anymore”, but Slap operates on obsessions as if they’re consensus and Max fans are really devoted.

Your point wasn't lost, it was just wrong.

but hey it's fun to discuss  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:30:32 AM by pizzafliptofakie »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #493 on: December 28, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »

Aside from the fountain spot, I don’t find his trick and/or spot selection predictable at all. I never have a fucking clue what’s going to happen. Switch one footer back tail, some insane 270 in 270 out bonk, or sadly, a Willy grind.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #494 on: December 28, 2021, 02:22:10 PM »
Liked the video but disappointed Raven had like what 3 or 4 trick.
Cocteau Twins

TunnelVision1

• Rep: -76
  • Kingofhellfarts
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #495 on: December 28, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »
i like how this video made me feel, va is one of the best.
At least my dad thinks so.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #496 on: December 28, 2021, 10:09:19 PM »
rewatching gives me the same take. i honestly think this is video of the year. va isn’t a distaste of mine, just not a person that should have closed this video. carl sw hard flip roll across the street should’ve ended the video, when you watch the clip the first time you just expect the credits to roll after.. then, vincent? it just straight up does not work. he could’ve been second to last no problem but, it was off-putting the moment his title rolls and the part could’ve debunked that but, it doesn’t. it’s not a bad part, it could’ve been second to last out of respect/seniority but, it does not fit as a last part of this video. even if you dislike guy’s laser flips and ledge dancing the way i do, you still have to admit that he was more suitable for last part than the new guys were in pretty sweet. this video simply didn’t work as : ‘introduction video part of all new rippers with an og last part’ layout. vincent is just clearly not last part worthy in this video, maybe if the video wasn’t filled with such a hungry am team and he only had kenny and the nine club to work harder than then maybe, but, no.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2021, 06:24:33 AM »
I think Stevie Perez should close this video...perfect edition, trick selection and his pants improved since Pretty S.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2021, 12:53:31 AM »
Liked this video more than I was expecting. Some notes:

Surprised they decided to turn Capps pro and leave Hosea on flow.

Capps kickflips better out of slides than he does down stairs or over stuff. Or are those his switch flips that look soggy and I just don't know his stance? He's good, sure....but meh.

They should have put Trahan on before Yonnie. When I saw Jordan's part, it felt like he should have always been on.

Big fan of Carl but his part made me feel like he posts on instagram too much. The nollie 180 and the switch tail were really tight.

Never thought much of Erik until seeing this part. See why they put him on fully.

VA and Stevie surprised me in a good way.

No one has an ender ender in their parts. I feel like you expect that with the type of hype crail can bring but not entirely hating.

Kind of wish they just put the footage that sprinkled in other parts into the main parts.

Jesus probably had one of my favorite lines, next to the one Erik does in Jesus' part.

Free Max P.
The chillest1

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #499 on: December 30, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »
Good interview with John Marello the video editor on the Mostly Skateboarding podcast. https://m.soundcloud.com/mostlyskateboarding/john-marello-bunny-hop-director-december-30-2021-mostly-skateboarding-podcast
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #500 on: December 30, 2021, 03:36:00 PM »
Came to post that. Really great listen. Particularly loved the part about Stevie’s song and the music in general.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2021, 04:21:43 PM »
rewatching gives me the same take. i honestly think this is video of the year. va isn’t a distaste of mine, just not a person that should have closed this video. carl sw hard flip roll across the street should’ve ended the video, when you watch the clip the first time you just expect the credits to roll after.. then, vincent? it just straight up does not work. he could’ve been second to last no problem but, it was off-putting the moment his title rolls and the part could’ve debunked that but, it doesn’t. it’s not a bad part, it could’ve been second to last out of respect/seniority but, it does not fit as a last part of this video. even if you dislike guy’s laser flips and ledge dancing the way i do, you still have to admit that he was more suitable for last part than the new guys were in pretty sweet. this video simply didn’t work as : ‘introduction video part of all new rippers with an og last part’ layout. vincent is just clearly not last part worthy in this video, maybe if the video wasn’t filled with such a hungry am team and he only had kenny and the nine club to work harder than then maybe, but, no.
I loved BunnyHop but there is no way it was better than the Gronze World video. That video is a modern classic for real.
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/the-gronze-world-video/
I know its a completely unrelated video but its so damn fucking good and I feel it flew under the radar

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #502 on: December 31, 2021, 12:57:59 AM »
Stevie Perez had best part imo. So good. His spots were colorful in a way, and cumbia music was a nice touch.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #503 on: December 31, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »
Capps and Herrera had the most rewatch to it.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #504 on: January 01, 2022, 01:00:57 PM »
I think Herrera has my favorite part. Genuinely beautiful skateboarding. From Herrera to Perez is just a perfect little stretch.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #505 on: January 01, 2022, 07:03:43 PM »
I'll be circling back to Trahan's part the most

wheee!

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2022, 06:46:39 AM »
This video is awesome! In a way it reminds me of Pretty Sweet and gives me that feeling of joy I can't explain... I haven't felt like that in a while watching a full lenght

It stokes me to go skate every time I watch it and that's what I'm looking for when I watch people skate

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #507 on: February 08, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »
Good reminder to rewatch Jordan Trahan’s part. Probably my favorite part from a full length video in 2021.