Author Topic: good memories that you have  (Read 1703 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
Re: good memories that you have
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2022, 05:50:21 AM »
December 23rd, 1998 - I was seven, my dad and I went to a lumber yard at 530 am to get some materials for a deck he was building. He surprised me a with tiny pair of mechanix gloves to wear while we got the supplies we needed. After that we went to Moon Equipment Company in Santa Fe Springs. He wanted to get some stuff for a 350 small block he was rebuilding. He got me a moon eyes shirt and then we got Taco Bell on our way home. I’m not entirely sure why this memory sticks out to me so much. I had such an awesome time, and I wanted to be like him so much. I think that was a day that sort of set me on the path to becoming who I am today.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2022, 06:11:04 AM »
myrtle beach, maybe 92, my parents bought a shirt with a shark on it, and a shark bite was in the side of the shirt, it was literally a ripped shirt, I wore it to school and my friends loved it.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2022, 10:05:35 AM »
My first date with my wife. I know that’s really cheesy but it’s one of the best days I’ve ever had. As a kid, I have fond memories of my mom pulling me out of school to get McDonald’s for lunch.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »
Speaking of mom-related memories, back when I was eight or nine, I was trying to play Super Mario Bros 3 and couldn't get past a certain level. I was getting really irritated and angry, like kids are wont to do.

So I went to sleep, woke up the next day, and my mom told me that she had secretly played my saved game at night and gotten past the level for me. I wasn't upset because I wanted to do it myself; from what I remember, I was genuinely stoked that she'd helped me out.

And the really cool thing about it is that I don't even think she'd ever even played video games before, and she seemed to have had a lot of fun playing Mario. So it was an enjoyable bonding experience for the both of us. I think I was just as happy that my mom had genuinely developed an interest in something I really liked to do; that can mean a lot to a child. Plus, that she got so good at it in the span of one evening.

It never got to the point where we played video games together all the time, but for me, sharing that moment was more than enough.

The Drew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 12:49:14 AM »
my parents divorced when i was really young... (it turns out my old man is probably on the spectrum and my mum being my mum... shit didn't work out)
anyway I got to see my Dad a few times a year... we lived at his place during school holidays etc up in north Queensland...

My dad was really into flying light aircraft and he'd always work out deals with people who owned private islands to mow their airstrips (so he could fly and also visit an island not many people have been too) ... anyway in the mid 80's a company tried to develop a resort on an island called "Wild Duck Island" (its now a protected island in north/central qld)... it ended up going bust and they abandoned everything on the island... anyways my Dad organized to go over and mow the airstrip for someone (not sure who... maybe auditors or the government) and my brother, sister and I got to tag along... whilst on the island we got to explore this semi built abandoned resort camp over night and see Green turtles laying eggs... (which was cool as heck for a tiny little kid)

I distinctly remember finding a sea snake washed up on the beach the next morning and throwing a piece of sea sponge at it to see if it was alive (it was). Being me, i retrieved said coral millimeters from the snakes bitty end... my Dad yelled at me for being careless/stupid... as seas snakes are extremely venomous (which I knew anyway) and if i got bit, we would be too far away for me to get treatment and that would have been the end of me... after that i stopped going near the venous snakes (most of the time...)

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 02:35:30 AM »
I'll forever cherish the memory of the last day spent with my grandmother.
Last summer she finally visited my city, her old hometown, for the first time in years.
We spent the day hanging out, and while driving her to my nieces birthday party we decided to take a little detour to check out her old stomping grounds.
That little detour ended up being a couple hours of just driving around, talking about life past present and future, being a parent etc. It was also the first time she met my son.
We parted ways that day, both crying because we were so happy to have had that day.
About a month latter she passed.

I love you forever.
 Rest easy weary heart.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 01:14:54 PM »
December 23rd, 1998 - I was seven, my dad and I went to a lumber yard at 530 am to get some materials for a deck he was building. He surprised me a with tiny pair of mechanix gloves to wear while we got the supplies we needed. After that we went to Moon Equipment Company in Santa Fe Springs. He wanted to get some stuff for a 350 small block he was rebuilding. He got me a moon eyes shirt and then we got Taco Bell on our way home. I’m not entirely sure why this memory sticks out to me so much. I had such an awesome time, and I wanted to be like him so much. I think that was a day that sort of set me on the path to becoming who I am today.

these are the vibes

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2022, 08:13:04 AM »
“Borrowed” a sailboat in college.

Town had a marina on a Great Lake and I had scoped out a bunch of really beaten up Sunfish sailboats that appeared to be owned by the town. I had been sailing one time as a kid but had a pretty good idea about how everything worked. Found a mast and sails loose in one of the racks then a centerboard, rudder and life jacket in a chest with no lock.

Waited until a perfect, cloudless, slightly breezy October day. Unfortunately had a class that was an automatic fail with two absences at the same time and I had already missed one but it was then or never.

Went to the marina, dragged the boat to the beach, assembled all the components but realized the sail was missing lines and all fucked up. Went over to the privately owned storage but everything was locked up - except one sail. Felt bad about using a private individual’s property and it was rolled up with some crazy knot I’d never be able to duplicate but I didn’t want to give up on the trip.

I get it rigged, push off and make it past the breakwaters. Sail up and down the coast for the next two hours. It was absolutely wonderful. The day was beautiful, sky and water different shades of blue, and I’m hauling ass in the steady breeze. I was smiling the whole time.

Eventually the sun starts going down behind the trees so I head back the the beach. The wind shuts off almost the instant I hit ground. It’s quiet and calm and I put everything back where it came from. Walk back to get dinner utterly content.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »
Great thread

Random great memory trying to not dox people involved... One Sunday afternoon I was having pints with my mate and we put heaps of coins in the jutebox about haveway threw the play list a whole bunch of screws show up (Jail wardons) wasn't a fan of them before because I was a dumb cunt and thought working class locking up working class was stupid... Anyways the lads had a few pints and finally NWA fuck the police from our play list came one. One screw who looks like your normal 50 yeah old dad jumped up and sang word for word the whole song.
Honestly was one of the most bizarre afternoons of my life but God damn will always smile when I hear that song and remember the lads.
We became mates after even if I don't really approve of there jobs.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1924
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2022, 10:47:46 PM »
Dad related:
My dad was a workaholic, probably because he wasn't great being a family man. But he did have a steady exercise regime and would jog and swim regularly. A year before he passed when I was 10 or 11 I started going swimming with him regularly on the weekends before hanging out in the office with him till late. There was a day we were driving back from the pool and Salt 'N Pepper's "Let's Talk About Sex" came on the radio as 10 year old me sat in awkward silence together. I put that song on regularly and think about that awkward day.

Around that same period he got admitted to the hospital for some heart issues, he had heart issues over the years, all genetic, and worked out regularly but still needed to do a bypass operation. 10 year old me felt personally responsible for asking him to go swimming and pushing him to do a few extra laps with me that day.

Mom related:
She didn't approve of me skateboarding because she thought I was accident prone, brought me to the hospital multiple time when I got hurt. But she still bring up the time I kept my deck hidden under my t-shirt to keep my fresh Mini Logo deck home, still tells that story during family gatherings.

Skate related:
Mid 2000s and my friend crew were skating a street spot late. A Japanese tourist started skating the spot and despite his limited English we clicked and we brought him to a few street spots. Ended up skating a 7 stair together with him popping a massive Fakie Ollie and a BS 180 over the rail, while the rest of us Ollied the set. Got home at 5am and declared it a sick day to skip out work. Never saw him again - still a great reminder how skateboarding can bring total strangers together.

Work / Friend related:
It's difficult to meet friends of the same wavelength as a working adult, more so in a dying segment of the tech industry. But I made a super good friend there who I've been in contact with for over 10 years. Pulled late shifts in the office together, attended concerts, road trips and was a groomsman at his wedding. Too many fun memories together, every person needs a solid gold mate like him in their life.

Edit: Fuck this thread for making me feel man feelings
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:09:22 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2022, 03:08:10 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd-sFRcOWsu/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

More funny memories of being dumb with friends but in around 2011 nearly started a brand with some friends. It no doubt would of totally ate dogshit immediately but I had a bunch of logos and graphics and ideas made. Over the years I see so much stuff that makes me glad I didn't do it and just now saw these old blind boards which I basically had the same thing but with the number 90. Would of accidentally copied something that no doubt everyone would of known. Also I think Kevin stabb has a brand called 90 so glad I didn't do that either. And free skate mags logo is just a red circle we would of had just a green circle.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2022, 03:25:49 AM »
What about earliest memories? I have a pretty vivid one of being 2 years old and my mom changing my diaper and it was full of green shit. She said something about it and I suggested that the cookie monster had crawled up my ass and colored it with a green crayon. I think that was just the answer that made the most logical sense in my world at the time.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2022, 03:29:40 AM »
My earliest skate sessions. Just hanging out with friends and having fun, with zero cares in the world.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2022, 08:07:29 AM »
Having my Mom & Dad married. We would go to the mountains & rent this cabin. There was the little movie theater you could go to & they would play classic cartoons. I also remember being at home & having my dad just sit out in the backyard with us & let us explore. I remember one time he told me to "look" & pointed: it was my grandfather walking up with a wagon with treats in it. Really i just miss the first part of childhood as once the divorce happened, my journey with trauma started.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2022, 05:08:15 PM »
myrtle beach, maybe 92, my parents bought a shirt with a shark on it, and a shark bite was in the side of the shirt, it was literally a ripped shirt, I wore it to school and my friends loved it.

These were the coolest shit in the 90s. Was yours tie dyed? I think I got mine at the outer banks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2022, 02:50:13 AM »
Talking about bmx, rollerblades and scooters in another thread reminded me of a two week period that for a I was a bit embarrassed about but just now am thinking it was probably a short time were I was genuinely happy. (Soz this could get long)
Year 2000 was a perfect storm.
So I had a Kmart board that I rode for almost two years and it eventually just fell apart like wet cardboard. My mum at the time was working at a department store and they got really good discounts but also anytime anything had broken packaging or someone got caught stealing etc that stuff was just put out the back and whoever staff was lucky enough to come up on it first could just have it or get it cheap. My mum doing her classic move, what me and siblings would call the "anti present" (sounds so shitty now) came up on a razor scooter and figured yeah that's what he wants, not a skateboard to replace the skateboard he literally rode every day.
So I get this scooter and am a bit bummed. We called it the anti present because it's something you never asked for, actually don't want and by getting it it means you'll never get the thing you actually wanted. And just by chance this was right before the Sydney Olympics. Every school in the Sydney area (which my school just scraped into) got two weeks off, also a McDonald's opened right near my house and had a thing for $1 bigmac and my friend got a swimming pool.
So first day of holiday I watch special "Olympic cheese" which was like a morning show with cartoons then a show kinda like Xena warrior princess then go to meet my friend at the McDonald's I think fuck it I'll ride this stupid scooter. I get there and just by chance my friend is also riding a scooter. So now we just ride scooters around trying to figure out what they can do and a couple days later we see another friend on a fucking scooter, now we got a crew. Everyday was sleep in, wake up watch Dragonball z and whatever other shows meet at McDonald's get a bigmac go to store and get a 3L no name cola and ride scooters around until we got bored, go to friends and swim in his new pool then ride scooters some more.
In the two weeks we learnt (what we thought) was every trick, 180,360, barspins, tailwhips, Smith/feeble ona curb or bench, boardslide/lipslide on a flatbar. There were also a ton of houses being built with slabs we could ride on or go into the closed schools and bunny hop stairs and shit. Then the last day of the holidays we were riding my friends driveway like a flatbanks and we're trying to do 540s and my scooter snapped in half. Perfect ending to the two weeks. That was late october then late November got my first actual "good" skateboard and my friends got theirs for Xmas, altho they never really got into skateboarding.