Author Topic: Whats your high score with stairs?  (Read 6991 times)

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Whats your high score with stairs?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2022, 06:56:52 PM »
I did a midwest 7 as a kid.  I max out at 4 these days.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2022, 07:04:20 PM »
How many bloards can you ollie.

6 when I was 18. 

5 when I was 48.

Haven’t tried at 49.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2022, 07:18:11 PM »
Ollied a 6 years ago. Biggest thing I've ever ollied besides that was a skatepark 3 block that was probably the height of a 8.

Now I haven't skated anything bigger than a 3 stair in months and I'm mostly fine with that.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2022, 08:47:53 PM »
Highest I've ollied down is a 4.
Highest I've ollied up is a 4.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2022, 09:52:15 PM »
Ollied a gap the size of a 12 at 18, landed first try but pinched my ciatic when squatted, never wanted to do it again or film it

8 was the biggest officially but there wasn’t too many skateable stairs at my hometown, it jumped to a 13 but never even looked at it seriously to try it

I’m 32 now, I can still Ollie a 6 no problem and do plenty of flip tricks on 4. It’s funny but I’m way better at trying shit down stairs now that back then. I used to be so scared of breaking my board or getting hurt that pushed me back a lot, maybe my knees are thankful for that now  ;D

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2022, 11:46:20 PM »
5 club here.
When I was a teen, dreamed about doing a 9 with a downhill landing next to my school... the fuck I was thinking.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2022, 12:44:24 AM »
9 when I was a teenager. 5 since I've returned as an old fat person

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2022, 01:04:37 AM »
8. Now point your fingers at me and laugh

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2022, 03:37:41 AM »
8 in the wild, but I was most hyped on a 3-flat-3 park double set and a few 6+ sized grass gaps.

Agree with someone else who said they haven't done anything above 5 in 15+ years.

If I can't go up, I don't go down. And gravity is only getting stronger.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2022, 04:31:56 AM »
There was a weird stair set under a pedestrian bridge on the University of Tennessee campus that had a short landing into grass. It was 15 stairs, and I landed rolled, hit the grass and fell.

I counted it. So...15 is my high score. I was 17 and under the influence of the Color video.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2022, 06:48:58 AM »
I'm not quite sure...there was a set in 1st year university (mid 90s) that I want to say was a 6 but the stairs were wider than usual and you had to Ollie before a sizeable crack at the top so it was more of a 8 size if that makes sense. Never had any pics doing it then had the brilliant idea of checking Google Earth the other day to check it out...whole area has been remodeled and graded out so I have no clue.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2022, 06:50:23 AM »
mine is 13, the skydome 13 in toronto, its really long but not too high. not really sure though, i haven't seen many huge sets, except this 14 in Kitchener, but i didnt ollie it.

that 13 is like the same size as hollywood high, props. its not as high but probably a farther gap.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2022, 06:00:57 PM »
Straight? 8 but more proud of this 6:

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2022, 06:14:39 PM »
rode off a curb

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2022, 06:20:57 PM »
3 is the magic number  ;D

Ollied an 8.
Kick flipped a 3 block the size of 6 stairs.
180, kickflipped, and 360 flipped a drop the size of a 6 with an uphill landing. Super fun day, also boneless 180d it haha

Biggest set I tried was a 10, biggest gap was maybe a long 10 or normal 12, idk, grass gap, Mike mo switch fs flips it in fully flared. Tried in a pair of Rowleys and flunked PE cause I had bruised heels and couldn’t do shit for the final.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2022, 06:27:33 PM »
Growing up in the hammers fucking sucked man. Ollied an 11 when I was 17. Figured I’d go out on top, haven’t even thought about it since. Now my 30 year old 250lbs self winces at the thought of olling a 5, not that my board could even survive it.

Tangentially related, when I was 16 I was trying to really impress this girl I was into by throwing myself down a 13. Wasn’t warmed up at all and figured I gotta go big for the biddy. Bunted it in the worst way and just whiffed it. I got tossed down the set? smacked my head really hard, knocked myself out and pissed my pants. She wasn’t impressed.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2022, 06:43:27 PM »
can feel my left knee swelling just reading this thread

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2022, 07:12:16 PM »
All these stories are making it even more astounding how pros huck technical stuff down 12-15 stairs.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

IpathCats

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2022, 05:17:15 AM »
All these stories are making it even more astounding how pros huck technical stuff down 12-15 stairs.

It's always amazed me tbh, I don't understand it. I worry about Trae the "tank"

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2022, 05:44:39 AM »
I Ollied a 5, I tried a big 6 one day and kept slipping out or sticking and falling forward. I kickflipped, switch ollied, switch front 180 and back 180d a 4 stair. Nollied a 3. This was all back around 2005-6. I always had a mental block when it came to stairs.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2022, 05:57:07 AM »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2022, 06:00:37 AM »

I trip on how people can just session stairs casually, even mid size ones. I know some people who bail so lightly down decent sized sets and I just don't get it. Even LANDING a trick down stairs hurts for me now, haha.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2022, 06:15:33 AM »
Up 3 and down 7.

Down 7 was before I got old. I would like to get up 4.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2022, 06:25:31 AM »
8 was the most I ever did and that was about 20 years ago. I almost did a 3 flat 3 back in the day too, which would've been the longest set I ever ollied, but I broke my board and wrecked myself in the process. 

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2022, 06:55:00 AM »
11 going down, 6 going up. I'll be 29 this year and want to heelflip a 10 stair in the streets or back heel a 9 or higher.

I know I won't be able to jump down stuff forever but I take care of my body and do exercises to protect my knees and ankles. I figure if P.Rod can still be switch big spinning down 10 stairs in his mid 30's post-ACL surgery then I should still have a few good years of hucking left

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2022, 07:03:01 AM »
As a few learned slappers have already posted: Don't jump down what you can't jump up. Ollieing up shit just feels good. Skateboard equivalent of a squat.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2022, 07:06:24 AM »
guys the trick to not getting hurt on the stairs is you jsut do it first try. then the wheels and forward momentum absorb all the impact instead of your feet. its not rocket surgery  ;D

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2022, 07:33:10 AM »
Biggest thing ollied was a four block where each block was the size of a two stair, so about eight stairs? Biggest actual stair set and not blocks I’ve ever ollied though was a seven stair.

Even back then I was never really a stairs or gaps person, when I would try that kinda stuff I’d always just get so psyched out and it would just always feel like a constant mental battle to even try it and commit on top of that. I pretty much would have to force myself to skate stuff like that when I did, instead of actually wanting to skate it, if that makes sense. A lot of the dudes I skated with back then in my younger days were really into stairs and gaps so I found myself skating that kinda stuff pretty often even though deep down I really didn’t want to. I must admit it would feel REALLY good to ride away though after the mental battle to even try it and the physical battle to get it, but it was still never for me. I grew up skating when stairs and gaps and handrails were more of an essential thing you had to skate if you wanted to get “good”, glad now that’s less the case. Now you got dudes making whole careers out of only skating curbs, it’s great. This would have never been possible in the mid 00s.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2022, 07:49:56 AM »
Done a small 5 stair once. First time I tried a gap ever, I tried jumping off a mini ramp and broke my knee. After healing up I tried to ollie a tiny loading dock and fucked my back ankle first try. Never been able to conquer that fear. I have no problem taking impact flying off a kicker to flat or something, but trying to jump of anything above ledge height I just panic every fucking time

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2022, 02:23:02 PM »
Growing up in the hammers fucking sucked man. Ollied an 11 when I was 17. Figured I’d go out on top, haven’t even thought about it since. Now my 30 year old 250lbs self winces at the thought of olling a 5, not that my board could even survive it.

Tangentially related, when I was 16 I was trying to really impress this girl I was into by throwing myself down a 13. Wasn’t warmed up at all and figured I gotta go big for the biddy. Bunted it in the worst way and just whiffed it. I got tossed down the set? smacked my head really hard, knocked myself out and pissed my pants. She wasn’t impressed.

Thank you for sharing this. If I was a young lady I would have been stoked.