Author Topic: When's the last time you focused a board?  (Read 3367 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: When's the last time you focused a board?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »
Never have never will (hopefully).
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
I've only focused boards that were already cracked, last one would have been 2019 or something.

DESTROYER OF SENSES

• Rep: -17
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »
SNAPPIN DECKS CASHIN LARGE CHECKS

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • the moon rules
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
A couple years ago I shot out skating next to a wall and kicked it as hard as I could in the process. I broke my big toe and lost the toe nail. I focused my board in a pain induced rage. The last time before that was in 2012 when my front foot slid off the top of my board ollieing into a 50-50. I rolled my ankle on the ledge and focused my board in another pain induced rage
fuck you bama

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »
Two years ago. It was a enjoy deck. Cold winter night. I realized that it started to delaminate after three sessions in the cold. That night i was pretty stressed. Just wanted to roll the anger away but i had a very bad session. Went down a hole trying frontside flips over and over.
On the last one i rolled my ankle really bad. So i took the board and broke it on a bench.
It was a peace of shit anyway.
Was out for three months afterwards because of my ankle.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2022, 01:56:50 PM »
I'll take the kooks for this, but why is everyone so opposed to focusing a board like it's against their religion? Sure, not something anyone ought to be doing as a rule, and it's definitely better to give it to a kid, but it's still only a skateboard.  If you have to do it, a skateboard is kind of the perfect thing to lose your mind on and beat to shit or break in half; there's always more to buy and when you look on the bright side, at least it wasn't like a dog or a person.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2022, 02:12:03 PM »
My ankles are so fucked that i would be afraid to even focus board

Came here to post this.

IpathCats

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »
I'll take the kooks for this, but why is everyone so opposed to focusing a board like it's against their religion? Sure, not something anyone ought to be doing as a rule, and it's definitely better to give it to a kid, but it's still only a skateboard.  If you have to do it, a skateboard is kind of the perfect thing to lose your mind on and beat to shit or break in half; there's always more to buy and when you look on the bright side, at least it wasn't like a dog or a person.

While thinking about my earlier focus that evening, this is kind of the silver lining I came to see. If there is any good that comes from it, it's that it was a harmless act of aggression, felt good in the moment. Still pretty wasteful and silly, but if focusing a board every now and then makes me a more tolerable person outside of skateboarding, I guess it's not so bad.

switchfakie

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
beginning of january i focused two boards, two days apart for the first time in months. focused the first board because tre flips weren't working for me (my go to trick). focused the second (brand new) board because tre flips still werent working for me. i now lost my tre flips almost completely and have resorted to becoming a transition skater unironically giving shakas to the local park rats when they pull up. fuck my life

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While thinking about my earlier focus that evening, this is kind of the silver lining I came to see. If there is any good that comes from it, it's that it was a harmless act of aggression, felt good in the moment. Still pretty wasteful and silly, but if focusing a board every now and then makes me a more tolerable person outside of skateboarding, I guess it's not so bad.

Or does it set a precedent of needlessly breaking shit out of anger and the next thing you know you're the guy who's punching holes in drywall? After all humans are creatures of habit and routine.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
Never out of anger, but if I accidentally snap a nose or tail due to a bad landing, I do love to really make an event out of breaking the rest to bits haha. It is fun to act all mad and really stomp it out.

The first board I purposefully focused was a years old cruiser deck that I was just done with. Got drunk and asked my friend to film my first ever board focus... it snapped so easily I bruised my heel.

Seeing people focus their boards out of anger makes me embarrassed.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 07:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Or does it set a precedent of needlessly breaking shit out of anger and the next thing you know you're the guy who's punching holes in drywall? After all humans are creatures of habit and routine.

Why view it as only going in one direction? Could be the person who breaks their skateboard after a frustrating session doesn’t punch holes in the wall later as a result. Like I’m saying, it’s not optimal, but I’m not convinced it’s this heinous thing either. I reckon it can be a harmless way to blow off steam just as easily as anything else.

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2022, 07:47:07 PM »
I’m 15 so like 3 months ago
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2022, 07:47:59 PM »
Snap those jokers all the time.  Are you all fucking poor or what?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2022, 07:49:51 PM »
Yes.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2022, 07:55:24 PM »
Board focusers are abusers confirmed
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2022, 08:01:12 PM »
Never out of anger, but if I accidentally snap a nose or tail due to a bad landing, I do love to really make an event out of breaking the rest to bits haha. It is fun to act all mad and really stomp it out.

i wouldn’t consider that focusing. I’ve almost done this but then realized I’d be walking home.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2022, 10:22:39 PM »
No not never, and you should too.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2022, 12:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes.

No not never, and you should too.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2022, 02:50:55 AM »
about 4 years ago i was rewatching static 2 and saw puleo do a fs 5-0 fs shove out on an upwards guardrail. having just learned said trick consistently, i knew of a spot very similar to it that we'd skated past every now and then but never skated.

went back a few days later to try and get the trick. by all account it should have been easy but what i failed to factor in was the dogshit run up and the fact the guardrail was slightly angled which kept fucking up the lock in on the 5-0. ended up hanging up on the post at the start and taking a hipper on the bolts that protrude further up and just stomped the shit out of my board. ofc the regret kicked in about 10 minutes later when i realized it was 2pm on a lovely summers day and i was unable to skate the rest of the day but it is what it is.

as said earlier, it's not optimal or the greatest coping mechanism per say but it's not a crazy heinous act either, obv if you're focusing boards every session you probably need help. shit i've seen someone focus a board the same day they got it because the grip "wasn't grippy enough" - it's been 9 years and i'm still confused.

IpathCats

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2022, 03:38:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You need to do something way more frequently than once every 5-6 years for it to be considered a habit. I understand your logic, but thats just a slippery slope mentality, you could make that argument for like anything, sort of a hollow reach.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2022, 05:52:20 AM »
I actually got that shit on video. I’m a big dude so I snap a lot of decks and hate focusing them. Some times I’ll “accidentally” land really heavy on the tail, but this is the last time I legit focused one.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2022, 06:00:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You need to do something way more frequently than once every 5-6 years for it to be considered a habit. I understand your logic, but thats just a slippery slope mentality, you could make that argument for like anything, sort of a hollow reach.

It’s also bad cuz a starving kid could have eaten the board.

@Freelancevagrant snapped that shit like a twig! 
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

cky enthusiast

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2022, 06:13:08 AM »
too busy giggling

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2022, 06:33:47 AM »
I am afraid I would be too weak to focus a bloard and would either hurt myself in the process or look like a kook (or both).
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2022, 06:38:40 AM »
Never focused one in my life. Do I need to get angry and do it just to have the experience?

IpathCats

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2022, 07:00:36 AM »
Never focused one in my life. Do I need to get angry and do it just to have the experience?

If you do, it might not be as mystical as it once was, and that seems important to you.... so idk man, your call.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2022, 07:08:55 AM »
A few years ago. Was feeling good on the board again after an injury hiatus and went to the local shitty pre-fab park. Brand new Billy Marks deck with a shape that I wasn't feeling...got into a f/s noseslide on a ledge and the board just stopped - but my knee didn't. Something popped and I immediately knew that a) it was bad and b) I was back to being injured for a while. So it got stomped with full old/injured/depressed man rage. Ended up being a torn meniscus and pooched ligaments. Felt stupid afterwards but injuries in your 40s fuck with your mind.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2022, 07:14:16 AM »
Real big nob Boyz focus shit length ways

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2022, 07:15:13 AM »
Deforestation
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?