Author Topic: When's the last time you focused a board?  (Read 3369 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: When's the last time you focused a board?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2022, 09:48:42 AM »
Expand Quote
I'll take the kooks for this, but why is everyone so opposed to focusing a board like it's against their religion? Sure, not something anyone ought to be doing as a rule, and it's definitely better to give it to a kid, but it's still only a skateboard.  If you have to do it, a skateboard is kind of the perfect thing to lose your mind on and beat to shit or break in half; there's always more to buy and when you look on the bright side, at least it wasn't like a dog or a person.
[close]
Deforestation

If I’m mad enough that I’m breaking my board, in that moment, I’m probably thinking fuck the forests too.  I’m not saying that it’s right, but you’re talking about someone in a blind rage here.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ohtight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2022, 10:14:04 AM »
i used to skate my boards done to nothing so whenever i was having an off day, id get pissed and snap it. When i got a better job with more pay about 8 years ago, i would buy boards more often as i didnt have to skate my boards for so long. after that i stopped focusing boards and just collected my old decks in my trunk to give out to kids at the park or whatever. dont really care if people focus their shit or not, i just thought i personally was too old to be throwing temper tantrums in a public skatepark

although ive always wanted to land a trick then snap my tail after riding away but my puny legs arent strong enough  :'(
zzz

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2022, 08:08:36 AM »
About four years ago I was skating and my board broke while battling a line that I had already landed (my buddy fumbled the clip). Was so pissed and over it that only the wood between my bolts remained.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2022, 11:25:16 AM »
I've never even tried. I grew up poor, skating decks until they had no kicks. Now I can afford to skate fresh boards, i always kick down my less fresh to kids who need them.

Now i think about it, I can't remember the last time I saw someone focus a board at all. Maybe it's less common in NZ
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2022, 01:33:17 PM »
I haven’t focused a board since I was a dumb angry high schooler. I think the last time was about 8 years ago when I was trying to film a line at these two four stairs. I think it was firecracker the first one, front shove on flat, and no comply the second set, and couldn’t do it so I focused my board. I had a new board ready back at home and I think a big part of me just wanted to switch over.

The other day I did have a dream where I could land some trick on a curb and immediately turned around and focused my board. That counts, right?

i halfcab board ledges

• Rep: 12
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2022, 05:35:20 PM »
4 years ago when I was learing tre flips, I slipped out of one after trying in 80 degree heat for 2 hrs and I was pretty small and didn't think I would actually snap through the board but i stomped it and it snapped and I instantly felt awful, I dont plan on doin that again
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

drcroc

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2022, 05:44:12 PM »
I focused my first board... 10 years later when the tail snapped on an ollie. I left it outside in this planter for like 7 years straight, used to rain on it all the time.

My version of focusing a board is putting the board in a random spot for someone else to find, or placing it in a garbage can for someone to take.

blakeyjoe_

• Rep: -3
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2022, 11:04:26 AM »
the last time i focused a board was like 2 months ago i think. i was skating this curb to drop thingy, like u have to pop over a curb and its a drop. its kinda hard to explain but is doesnt matter any way. i was trying a kickflip and just kept missing the flick cus im trash and got mad and focused the damn thing.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2022, 11:43:30 AM »
I've only done it as a stress test to see if the board is worth keeping. If I hear a gnarly crack, I stand in the middle of the board and tug at the nose and tail canonball style. If I go through, I figure it'd be hazardous anyways. Don't want a kid to end up doing the splits.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2022, 12:42:02 PM »
I remember when World Industries made it cool to focus your board so they could sell more of them. We used to focus them down till there was nothing left but the little squares of wood above the trucks. Can’t remember the last time I focused a board though recently that didn’t already have a crack in it.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

usehername720

• Rep: 6
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2022, 01:52:41 PM »
Tried kickflipping off this loading dock for like 3 hours and I kept not committing and kicking it away and the nose kept hitting the ground and chipping more and more till I finally landed it. Looked at my board and the nose was like 2 inches or so shorter and the end of the nose was just a straight line with splinters spilling out. I realized I wasn’t gonna skate it ever again so I focused it with my butt and went home.

That was a few years ago and I haven’t focused any boards since, sadly still toss my board occasionally though when I’m skating by myself

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2022, 06:02:16 PM »
i have ADHD bro you cant be asking me to focus

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »
3 or 4 years ago, not planning on doing it again.

I was into tech bullshit at the time and trying a fucking inward heelflip late heelflip.
A few hours later, after a handful of close'ish attempts, I got mad and it happened.

Felt really good, then felt bad.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2022, 05:33:09 PM »
The other week I focused a brand new board when my buddy told me what a particular person in the industry was being paid.  It fucking sucked! No way they should get paid mid six figs.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -97
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2022, 07:48:23 PM »
2 months ago. I kept getting snaked by scooter fuccbois at the park and that shit makes my blood boil. Regret it though cause I got some of my best clips on that board.

GroovySinner

• Rep: -79
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2022, 07:59:47 PM »
Probably when I 180 ‘d some stairs way back when I was a poser

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2022, 08:17:38 PM »
October
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

GroovySinner

• Rep: -79
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2022, 08:19:07 PM »
Too bad you little kooks couldn’t land your tricks 😂 I’m sure mommy and daddy will get you the next new fa deck 😂😂

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2022, 08:48:15 PM »
Never but I did smash a guitar at a show. Wouldn’t do that again

KBizzle

• Rep: -17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
Shiiiiiittttttttt, not in this economy.

greenbeans

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2022, 09:16:10 PM »
Few months ago

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2022, 07:35:11 AM »
In october. I was trying a trick for like 5 hours and was getting so tired that it felt like it was getting to the point where something bad was goign to happen. But I wasn't going to stop unless I landed the trick, got hurt, or my board was broken. Am 34, hadn't broke one since probably was 25.

ssbsminotti

• Rep: -8
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2022, 08:16:41 AM »
Probably last time i focused my board was when I was about 20, so 9 years ago. Got a big ass chip on the nose so decided fuck that. Redirect the energy into something more productive, like doing the tricks I have on lock, just «angrier» lol

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »
Last year after some chick broke up with me. Was half pissed and got bodied by a death pebble skating away from her.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2022, 12:09:44 PM »
About a 1.5 years ago, went to a DIY for the first time and set up a new deck there and somehow forgot and left it at the spot.. didn't realize till the next day when I pulled up to my local and my board wasn't in my trunk.

Went back immediately to that DIY but of course it was gone and no one was there... but someone had left behind an old habitat board with crazy razor tail and big cruiser wheels on it. Figured it was some kid's board that barely skates who probably picked mine up, so I focused that shit out of anger/revenge.

No regrets doing it, I was so mad I had to go buy a Christmas complete right after buying a new deck and the worst part was that my Indy trucks that I had on it were finally close to grinding down to the axel fully, and it was my last made in USA pair.

Before that don't think I've ever focused a board out of frustration, maybe a couple times when I was younger when the board already was halfway snapped and dusted.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2022, 12:26:50 PM »
About a 1.5 years ago, went to a DIY for the first time and set up a new deck there and somehow forgot and left it at the spot..
I keep running through various reasons this would happen and every possible explanation points to weed.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2022, 12:30:13 PM »
About a 1.5 years ago, went to a DIY for the first time and set up a new deck there and somehow forgot and left it at the spot.. didn't realize till the next day when I pulled up to my local and my board wasn't in my trunk.

Went back immediately to that DIY but of course it was gone and no one was there... but someone had left behind an old habitat board with crazy razor tail and big cruiser wheels on it. Figured it was some kid's board that barely skates who probably picked mine up, so I focused that shit out of anger/revenge.

No regrets doing it, I was so mad I had to go buy a Christmas complete right after buying a new deck and the worst part was that my Indy trucks that I had on it were finally close to grinding down to the axel fully, and it was my last made in USA pair.

Before that don't think I've ever focused a board out of frustration, maybe a couple times when I was younger when the board already was halfway snapped and dusted.

The part of the story I don't like is that you gave up looking for your board after an hour. You didn't put posters up or anything, you just sat at the DIY like a goon and waited. You gotta think 'You got a board. You got a responsibility.' If your board is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that fucking board.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2022, 12:46:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The part of the story I don't like is that you gave up looking for your board after an hour. You didn't put posters up or anything, you just sat at the DIY like a goon and waited. You gotta think 'You got a board. You got a responsibility.' If your board is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that fucking board.

Where'd you get "gave up looking after an hour" from?

People make mistakes all the time, and I somehow forgot and left my board at the spot. A WHOLE DAY LATER I figured out I left it there and went back to look for it, of course it was gonna be taken.

You acting like this board with a cheap shop deck and old ass parts is the same responsibility as owning a pet. The fuck I look like waiting around an empty park or putting up posters for a lost skateboard?

That's super extra and not worth my time and effort, would rather take the L and give my local shop my hard earned money instead. Weirdo

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

People make mistakes all the time, and I somehow forgot and left my board at the spot. A WHOLE DAY LATER I figured out I left it there and went back to look for it, of course it was gonna be taken.

You acting like this board with a cheap shop deck and old ass parts is the same responsibility as owning a pet. The fuck I look like waiting around an empty park or putting up posters for a lost skateboard?

That's super extra and not worth my time and effort, would rather take the L and give my local shop my hard earned money instead. Weirdo

Sometimes I feel like an idiot. But I am an idiot, so it kinda works out.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I really thought someone would pick up on my whole comment being from billy Madison, and it was about a dog.